Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

whydirt posted:

DE definitely feels uniquely European in the same way that Fallout (at least 1, 2, and NV) is uniquely American, at least to my simple yankee brain.

Probably because ZA/UM is an Estonian game studio with a sales office in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Haven't the lead writers been living in England for a few years now?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
when is that dang book coming out in english?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Der Kyhe posted:

Probably because ZA/UM is an Estonian game studio with a sales office in London.

Now I wish I’d put fewer points in Encyclopedia

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

JustaDamnFool posted:

Haven't the lead writers been living in England for a few years now?

IIRC They were living in Brighton (UK Southeastcoast) for most of the development.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Maybe you guys are bored enough for another deliberately inflammatory hot take:

'Disco Elysium' Was Too Afraid of Sincerity to Be Revolutionary | VICE

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Megazver posted:

Top of the last page and the entire discussion since.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Megazver posted:

Maybe you're bored enough to read the thread...

...NOT!!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

Maybe you're bored enough to read the thread...

...NOT!!

You got me. :D

Missed it somehow! Sorry.

Well, here's a decent video with reviews of every major CRPG (including DE) from the past decade, then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4xJ34dmqQ

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Thank you for all the good posts in response to that article! What a game this is.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Watching most game journalists take a swing at DE and whiffing because they're so far up their rear end has been really enlightening. Watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look of this led to me deciding not to renew my sub when it expires this year - they weren't even missing the point like Colin did up above, they just seemed incapable of even understanding what was in their hands. I hadn't played or seen anything of the game so far and even I could tell they were missing the point.

All of these people begging for more mature discourse in games, more mature themes, more political and ideological critique, etc, and when a game finally comes around that does all that and more they can't see the forest for the trees, or load up on their preconceived notions and don't let the game take them anywhere they haven't already been (this is Colin's piece IMO)

There was some indie game that had a who's who of woke game journalists (including some I really like, like Austin Walker) to submit writing for, and hoo boy was that enlightening. Can't remember the name of it now, though

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

rideANDxORdie posted:

There was some indie game that had a who's who of woke game journalists (including some I really like, like Austin Walker) to submit writing for, and hoo boy was that enlightening. Can't remember the name of it now, though

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

There was also the opposite case where one "indie rebel game journalist" gave Journey three star review calling it a short and boring walking simulator and was collectively called a loving tool by the entire Internet.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

That's the one. Wasn't terrible, but man did it feel disjointed. Too many cooks in the kitchen IMO

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

rideANDxORdie posted:

Giant Bomb's Quick Look of this

Just looked this up and wow that's rough. Clearly just an extremely rushed look at the game.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Now, this looks like the epitome of humourless American sincerity in a game.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
One thing I love about DE that I think doesn't get mentioned enough is that it delves into masculinity without starring a Tough Gamer Dad protagonist that seems to be all the rage these days (Joel from Last of Us, Kratos, etc)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

rideANDxORdie posted:

One thing I love about DE that I think doesn't get mentioned enough is that it delves into masculinity without starring a Tough Gamer Dad protagonist that seems to be all the rage these days (Joel from Last of Us, Kratos, etc)

likewise, the homo-sexual underground journey is... just fantastic in that regard, in all aspects really. "he is a friend, but only on Sundays" is a well known story, especially for proletarian gays like the man in the balcony. It is sensible, clever and the humor plays it really well in that contrast

(picking the best options to maximize Kim's reactions makes it amazing)

I really wanted some guuuuuuuuuuurl come on from one of them as my head was screaming that, especially with the thoughts commenting about the smoker's physique haha

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

likewise, the homo-sexual underground journey is... just fantastic in that regard, in all aspects really. "he is a friend, but only on Sundays" is a well known story, especially for proletarian gays like the man in the balcony. It is sensible, clever and the humor plays it really well in that contrast

at the risk of emphasizing just how much of an oblivious dumbshit I am: I follow that Sunday Friend and the smoker are loving, but is “Sunday friend” a preexisting turn of phrase? is it like “friend of Dorothy” or “confirmed bachelor” or something?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Megazver posted:

I don't think it's deliberately inflammatory, i think it's just a little undercooked.

e: like, i don't think he's stupid or trolling, he's just wrong

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 3, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When will ZA/UM condemn the toxic disco bros

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Just looked this up and wow that's rough. Clearly just an extremely rushed look at the game.

No, I'll be fair about this - the person playing it is a big fan of conventional detective adventure games, like your Sherlocks Holme and your Nancys Drew. They went in without seriously expecting that their own skills might lie to them - not just in an "oh, how funny, this is obviously wrong" way, but also in a "wait, if I do this, it will be terrible, and make me a terrible person" way. I've seen people (not the Giant Bomb people) seriously post about running out of things to do in the game because they never took a stab at inspecting the body because they had an 8% chance of making it -- they thought they could boost their chances in advance, when most of the options for doing it are locked behind failing the roll not just once but multiple times.

Ultimately it's not wrong to want to play a game where you don't even have the option to be exposed to terrible people or to be one yourself. It's not wrong to want to play a game where you don't have to interrogate the game's text to draw the line between truth and viewpoint, between flippancy and sincerity. And DE never comes out and says, in the game in big bold ink, that you shouldn't just listen to certain skills or say certain things but always consider what you're picking from the options, because Harry is really saying that and it can really affect people. It never comes out and says that failing white checks may hurt you a little, but won't redirect the game, and you may need to try and fail to find out what you need to do them better.

Isn't it fair to say that there might not be a game quite like Disco Elysium, certainly not to the incredible extent that it came out as being? I think it's also fair to say, in that case, that people might not be equipped to evaluate it in a way that they've practiced doing to other video games.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

The best review I've read of Disco Elysium was by Scott Benson (of Night in the Woods fame) in his Giant Bomb GOTY list from last year. He completely gets it in a way a lot of American left(ish) critics just seem to not. Admittedly that's a bit of a lovely privileging of MY read on the game over theirs, but sometimes you just have to call something a misread when you think it's a misread.

The GB QL was legendarily bad. It was basically a freak storm wherein Abby (who is understandably pretty sensitive to Gamer Misogyny) accidentally specced into a high-phys lovely misogo-cop build, and the rest is history.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my favourite bob each way review is the RPS one where she said it was deeply flawed but didn't say how it was flawed (tbf she liked it a lot)

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Yeah the GB disco elysium QL is not the only reason I'm out, more like the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't want to detail so I'll just say their coverage of a game actively pushed me away from a product I ended up loving, and while that's okay, I'm not comfortable paying for coverage like that

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Lightningproof posted:

The GB QL was legendarily bad. It was basically a freak storm wherein Abby (who is understandably pretty sensitive to Gamer Misogyny) accidentally specced into a high-phys lovely misogo-cop build, and the rest is history.

lol, i need to watch this.

giant bomb is not a place one goes for thoughtful analysis of the themes of a game.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

It's funny that Baldur's Gate opened with that 'abyss stares into you' quote from Nietzsche but it was 20-ish years before DE finally put that into practice.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Megazver posted:

Well, here's a decent video with reviews of every major CRPG (including DE) from the past decade, then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4xJ34dmqQ

yeah this is worth watching. This sucked me in so i went looking for more. It's nice to have a breakdown of the differences between them and now i'm playing Divinity Original Sin since i somehow have it already, and it's fully voiced.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Philman posted:

lol, i need to watch this.

giant bomb is not a place one goes for thoughtful analysis of the themes of a game.

I don't think they're incapable of better analysis I just think they rushed the quick look out the door without giving the game a proper chance.

She even mentions that she hasn't even gotten the body out of the tree in her main playthrough yet so she's basically operating entirely on first impressions.

also she's running a hilariously high electro chemistry build which lol

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

World War Mammories posted:

at the risk of emphasizing just how much of an oblivious dumbshit I am: I follow that Sunday Friend and the smoker are loving, but is “Sunday friend” a preexisting turn of phrase? is it like “friend of Dorothy” or “confirmed bachelor” or something?

I don't think it's pre-existing slang (although I might just be unfamiliar with it) but the implication from it is pretty clear - he's the guy that comes around once a week to get hosed, and that is as deep as their relationship goes, and if he were to see the smoker on the street he would pretend not to recognize him (presumably because the Sunday Friend is still in the closet because Moralism is still too conservative to accept that kind of thing openly). He's a friend, but only on Sundays.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

lol, abby wasnt even reading it, and then she called it bad writing. at least alex was getting a laugh out of it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

game is incredible, better than i had even expected (and i had expected a lot)

also the writers are definitely very Online, since Measurehead's dialogue is basically a cross between Bronze Age Pervert and Hakan Rotmwrt, two extremely esoteric alt-right dudes

Yeah lol it's a really deep cut for inspiration

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

I would surmise as the term being both the equivalent of a "friend of Dorothy" in the game's world and also applicable to the all too common dynamic of wealthy closeted guy having a furtive relation with a younger, poorer but very much freer gay man, especially those with a more intellectual bent (which seems to be the case here). I don't know if there is a particular specific American slang for that, though.

There more to it than just being a friend only on Sundays, though. An implication of such relationships is the element of convenience for the younger men, as those Sunday Friends tend to help financially in diverse matters, but isn't a "sugar daddy" type of deal because there is an affectionate bond there; which is why, imho, the game does this very well by making the man on the balcony being very discrete about him.

He is a moralist bureaucrat shitbag - and ZA/UM goes hard on that as we've established previously - but still, he has someone who cares about him in the limitations established by their time and place in society. Although the text makes the smoker being acutely aware of their discrepancy and diminished as such ("he can go back to the Occident, to the wealth and opportunities any time he wants" iirc), the far greater tragedy lies with the Sunday Friend, who cannot pursue and enjoy a fruitful relationship with someone he truly desires to be with - and it is on him. Even if the younger man is wistful about the other, he is stronger of the two.

And while this doesn't happen as much as it used to, it is still a rather frequent dynamic that happens in many countries in the West, afaik. It isn't a lengthy bit at all, but imho ZA/UM deserves kudos for doing that scene with care, nuance and sensibility.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I would surmise as the term being both the equivalent of a "friend of Dorothy" in the game's world and also applicable to the all too common dynamic of wealthy closeted guy having a furtive relation with a younger, poorer but very much freer gay man, especially those with a more intellectual bent (which seems to be the case here). I don't know if there is a particular specific American slang for that, though.

There more to it than just being a friend only on Sundays, though. An implication of such relationships is the element of convenience for the younger men, as those Sunday Friends tend to help financially in diverse matters, but isn't a "sugar daddy" type of deal because there is an affectionate bond there; which is why, imho, the game does this very well by making the man on the balcony being very discrete about him.

He is a moralist bureaucrat shitbag - and ZA/UM goes hard on that as we've established previously - but still, he has someone who cares about him in the limitations established by their time and place in society. Although the text makes the smoker being acutely aware of their discrepancy and diminished as such ("he can go back to the Occident, to the wealth and opportunities any time he wants" iirc), the far greater tragedy lies with the Sunday Friend, who cannot pursue and enjoy a fruitful relationship with someone he truly desires to be with - and it is on him. Even if the younger man is wistful about the other, he is stronger of the two.

And while this doesn't happen as much as it used to, it is still a rather frequent dynamic that happens in many countries in the West, afaik. It isn't a lengthy bit at all, but imho ZA/UM deserves kudos for doing that scene with care, nuance and sensibility.

I don't really have anything to add beyond that you hit the nail on the head and it's reflective of real-world history and cultural norms in the same way the rest of the game does but ends up with a very unique-feeling romance in fiction.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
y'all are so good at thinking about this game and i appreciate you

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Kaysette posted:

y'all are so good at thinking about this game and i appreciate you
:emptyquote:

To add to the emptyquote - in all honesty, this thread is probably *the* best place online for in-depth DE discussion and insigths, imo. The effortposts and takes posted here are consistenly amazing and on-point, at least in my humble opinion - so thank you posters :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't think it's pre-existing slang (although I might just be unfamiliar with it) but the implication from it is pretty clear - he's the guy that comes around once a week to get hosed, and that is as deep as their relationship goes, and if he were to see the smoker on the street he would pretend not to recognize him (presumably because the Sunday Friend is still in the closet because Moralism is still too conservative to accept that kind of thing openly). He's a friend, but only on Sundays.

I like to think I had a bead on the unequal nature of the relationship, but these are great elaborations thereupon, thanks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, the protagonist is implied to be interested in the smoking man because he has a resemblance to his ex-wife.

Funny thing is the thought doesn't seem to end with him outright going 'It's okay to be gay, maybe I'm at least a little bit gay too' but just to stop fussing about what's none of his business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, the protagonist is implied to be interested in the smoking man because he has a resemblance to his ex-wife.

This is true, although let’s not forget, there is also another man who smokes on a balcony in this game...