Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nodosaur posted:

You can still pre-order it for regular price. Like. Literally. Right now.

Max Wilco posted:

Ideally, I'd like to have the physical version, but if Nintendo's going to make the physical version a limited run, then I imagine it'll sell out in minutes, and people will turn around and scalp it for obscenely high prices (like what happened with the NES Classic).

Making the digital version a limited release, though, makes no goddamned sense to me. Yeah, I could pre-order it, but there's no guarantee that the ports are going to be any good.

Additionally, I'm a miser who doesn't like paying full retail price for games.

Mahoning posted:

3/31 is the end of Nintendo’s fiscal year. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was all just some bullshit to appease their investors before that big meeting in like 2 weeks.

“We’re gonna guarantee that all the revenue from this release is crammed into FY20!!”

And then in like April they’ll be like “due to popular demand, Super Mario 3D All Stars will be coming back next Friday!”

That didn't even occur to me, but that makes a lot of sense: get people to panic buy the game in order to maximize yearly profits, then turn around and do additional printings later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm disappointed that they're just ports and not remasters. I was pumped for Galaxy HD, was looking forward to playing a more polished Sunshine, and figured that a Mario 64 remaster while maintaining the graphical style was more than possible, going off the retro costume in Odyssey. Also I owned a Wii U and I played Mario 3D World to death and I have no desire to ever play it again.
Also Galaxy 2 is objectively better than Galaxy 1. The hell is wrong with some of you?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

Additionally, I'm a miser who doesn't like paying full retail price for games.

Then you picked the wrong franchise in general. Nintendo, and by that same metric, Mario games rarely drop in price.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody mentioned they were going to play all the DS castlevanias again and I said I would do that too. I’ve always bought the DS family of systems from the mega chonky double thicc original up to the last one I bought, the New 3DS XL. I dug my collection out of the closet, I haven’t touched these games in like 5-10 years and probably a lot longer for some of them. Here’s the collection!

Man, so many good loving games, I don’t know where to begin. I started going digital towards the end and also have Majoras Mask, Xenoblade 3D, and Mario golf 3D. On top of that I have a bunch of freebie game boy advance virtual games that include Metroid Fusion! (Some kind of ambassador program and I got no loving idea what that means.) Ugh where the hell do I start...

Can’t go wrong here!

Fyi you were an early 3DS buyer who paid $300 for the original 3ds. Nintendo cut the price soon after release but gave early adopters 10 GBA games and 10 other various games. The GBA games were never otherwise released for the3ds

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nodosaur posted:

Then you picked the wrong franchise in general. Nintendo, and by that same metric, Mario games rarely drop in price.

Yeah, I know. That's why I've only gotten like three Switch games since I got the machine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I am a complete sucker who's locked in preorders for the Game and Watch, Super Mario 3D All-Stars (despite owning all three games), Super Mario 3D World (despite owning it on the WiiU), and the Cat Mario/Peach amiibo two-pack :shepspends:.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, I am a complete sucker who's locked in preorders for the Game and Watch, Super Mario 3D All-Stars (despite owning all three games), Super Mario 3D World (despite owning it on the WiiU), and the Cat Mario/Peach amiibo two-pack :shepspends:.

The perfect customer. :20bux:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Where can you preorder the game n watch?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I figured out why they're going to delist SM3dAS next March.

Next June Nintendo is going to release NSO N64 to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the N64. Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 will be the launch titles for it. They will also be the only two titles ever released for it.

Then in 2022 Nintendo is going to release Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 to coincide with the 15th anniversary of Super Mario Galaxy. Even though the Galaxy 1 part will be unchanged from SM3dAS they'll still sell it for $60.

Sunshine will vanish after next March. Nintendo won't even acknowledge it existed.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 4, 2020

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Cartoon Man posted:

Where can you preorder the game n watch?

Japan and the UK.

LarksTongues
Mar 31, 2011
Thread I need help! I cant decide between Kentucky route zero or obra dinn. Both are on sale and are piquing my interest. Can anyone who've played either help me spend my eshop bucks?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Japan and the UK.

EB Games has them in Australia.

edit: Welp had, apparently. I was gonna double-check the price to add to this post and the listing's gone. I must've just squeaked under the line with my preorder :stonklol:.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LarksTongues posted:

Thread I need help! I cant decide between Kentucky route zero or obra dinn. Both are on sale and are piquing my interest. Can anyone who've played either help me spend my eshop bucks?

Obra Dinn feels like the more cohesive and satisfying experience to me

I never did go back and play the last episode of KR0 though

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

LarksTongues posted:

I don't know much about KR0, but I consider Obra Dinn a must play.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Loving see people play 3D chess with themselves to justify Nintendo’s decision to make this release time limited.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

LarksTongues posted:

I own both of these but I've been saving KRZ for a drought so I've only played Obra Dinn so far. Obra Dinn has among the best premise and presentation of a game ever imo but it's non-linear which is nice in a freedom sense but it can also mean that you solve all the interesting deaths first and get kind of an anti-climactic experience, and the extra chapter doesn't do much to alleviate this unfortunately. Also this is a personal opinion that I doubt is shared by all but monster deaths were boring and repetitive after the first few. I think I wanted it to be more of a mystery game than it was. Despite this, the good aspects of it are so good that I think it's one of the best games on the Switch and well worth a purchase if you get the chance, but you should trust the opinion of someone who's played both over mine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

I never did go back and play the last episode of KR0 though
It's really short. Like, maybe an hour long. It has a really nice song in the end.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All-Stars ruins SMB3's aesthetic

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah but I'd also have to replay all the rest of it since I don't really remember it that well, and I don't feel like it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

Crappy NES graphics is not an aesthetic

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They're good NES graphics actually

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

hatty posted:

oh brother

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It turns it from a stage play into taking place in an actual world with detailed backgrounds. Different, but not ruined.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Rabelais D posted:

The thing that interests me about games generally is seeing developers come out with new worlds to explore and new ideas to try out; it's all about the imagination.

I'm getting older and am absolutely not interested in re-playing old games, especially old platform games that have been re-released before.

It's cool if you're into nostalgia but I'd just rather developers spend time developing new things. From the look of this thread, some people really love buying old games again, and this issue is particularly prevalent on Switch.

Like, the LABO series was crazily inventive and interesting but nobody bought it; I'd love some wacky new LABO sets but everyone just wants to play old Mario games forever so Nintendo follows the money. Can't blame them, they need to generate revenue for shareholders. Just makes me a bit sad.

Hi! I never owned a Nintendo 64, and I was able to get a new gamecube game once a year. I never played 99% of Nintendo's 3d classics on the first system, and maybe 40% of the classics on their other system. On the Wii, I was able to afford a new game every six months, although yes, I did buy Galaxy and enjoyed it a fair bit.

so 66% of this collection's content is 100% new to me outside of playing around a bit at a friend's house and such (and naturally, only a bit as they are both single player games). Nintendo has 11 development studios currently working in the middle of a pandemic to produce a lot of titles, the advent of HD slapped them silly as most of those developed handheld games and such.

Also, I refuse to pirate most games because I find that even nintendo 64 games aren't flawlessly emulated and gamecube emulation is an objective joke. Thanks!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's the side by side graphical comparison for Mario 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EntWrvOX38

Compared against an HDMI modded N64.

Aside from the resolution bump it's quite clear they replaced the textures with uncompressed versions of the originals that look a lot cleaner.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Here's the side by side graphical comparison for Mario 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EntWrvOX38

Compared against an HDMI modded N64.

Aside from the resolution bump it's quite clear they replaced the textures with uncompressed versions of the originals that look a lot cleaner.

What's the story, Wishbone, on the GCN and Wii games?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Hi! I never owned a Nintendo 64, and I was able to get a new gamecube game once a year. I never played 99% of Nintendo's 3d classics on the first system, and maybe 40% of the classics on their other system. On the Wii, I was able to afford a new game every six months, although yes, I did buy Galaxy and enjoyed it a fair bit.

so 66% of this collection's content is 100% new to me outside of playing around a bit at a friend's house and such (and naturally, only a bit as they are both single player games). Nintendo has 11 development studios currently working in the middle of a pandemic to produce a lot of titles, the advent of HD slapped them silly as most of those developed handheld games and such.

Also, I refuse to pirate most games because I find that even nintendo 64 games aren't flawlessly emulated and gamecube emulation is an objective joke. Thanks!

Getting old games onto the Switch is functionally the last time they should have to ever do it, because the Switch is built on sane architecture rather than an esoteric console's. Anything that works on the Switch should work in perpetuity on newer machines with the same basic architecture.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rabelais D posted:

The thing that interests me about games generally is seeing developers come out with new worlds to explore and new ideas to try out; it's all about the imagination.

I'm getting older and am absolutely not interested in re-playing old games, especially old platform games that have been re-released before.

It's cool if you're into nostalgia but I'd just rather developers spend time developing new things. From the look of this thread, some people really love buying old games again, and this issue is particularly prevalent on Switch.

Like, the LABO series was crazily inventive and interesting but nobody bought it; I'd love some wacky new LABO sets but everyone just wants to play old Mario games forever so Nintendo follows the money. Can't blame them, they need to generate revenue for shareholders. Just makes me a bit sad.

It's not an either or thing with remakes/ports. The amount of effort these take is miniscule compared to new full games. You're not gonna get Super Mario Odyssey 2 any faster if Nintendo doesn't hire somebody to do some ports.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i hope they updated bowser's voice for sunshine

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

EB Games has them in Australia.

edit: Welp had, apparently. I was gonna double-check the price to add to this post and the listing's gone. I must've just squeaked under the line with my preorder :stonklol:.

I preordered this morning because I knew it would sell out almost instantly because Nintendo only make these things in small quantities.

Pretty big nostalgia factor for me because I am An Old and owned a few Game & Watches when I was a kid

Donkey Kong Hockey ruled
https://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong_Hockey

Surprised we didn't see a new batch of NES Mini's announced at the same time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AdmiralViscen posted:

You can buy SM64+SMG for $28 on the Wii U eShop. And they were relatively newer games when they were put out at that price. $32 for time limited Mario Sunshine is at least somewhat overpriced, especially since none of them are meaningfully upgraded

At least include SMG2 in this ROM dump

Cool, I don't have a wii u

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Crappy NES graphics is not an aesthetic

Imagine calling SMB3 bad

Imagine

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

a.lo posted:

i hope they updated bowser's voice for sunshine

The trailer seems to imply they dropped the original "So Long, Gay Bowser!" line so maybe they might

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

a.lo posted:

super marioh brother

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The trailer seems to imply they dropped the original "So Long, Gay Bowser!" line so maybe they might

Someone a few pages back reckoned this is based on the updated Japanese-only release that had rumble, and the line was removed in that version already apparently.

Infinitum posted:

I preordered this morning because I knew it would sell out almost instantly because Nintendo only make these things in small quantities.

In hindsight I really should've just set an alarm for early this morning to make drat sure I got one instead of getting lucky like I did. Those things are likely never gonna see a store shelf, they'll just be devoured by preorders. Also, if you think about it, this thing is basically the original pitch of Game & Watch finally brought to life 30 years late; Your favourite Nintendo games, in portable form!! :v: (Yes, I know, GBA and 3DS versions, etc, but I mean the Game & Watch specifically)

Infinitum posted:

Surprised we didn't see a new batch of NES Mini's announced at the same time.

The NES/SNES Mini's aren't entirely Mario machines, plus the catalogue's all on the Switch now so there's zero reason for the expense in a COVID-impacted logistic chain when they could just make more Switches. Plus the factory time that would create them is likely what is making suitable quantities of Game & Watches.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The catalogue of the classic.consoles.is absolutely not all on the Switch. There's three important square games missing (SMRPG, FF6, FF1 for laughs). Plus Earthbound.

Edit: no Chrono Trigger, what the gently caress was I thinking there.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's also entirely possible that the licensing contracts Nintendo made with 3rd party publishers such as Capcom, Konami and Square were only for a couple years and they didn't bother with trying to renegotiate for another run of minis.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
well. whatever it is it is slapping it for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
do you onow what will be slapping it's name is Sin and pinishment HD anniversary