Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Just read the bill text: have to file for expungement and the DA has the right to object, so expect a number of counties to object to every single claim made under this bill. And the language for the judge making the decision is that the judge "may" expunge, not "shall," so expect a strong racial element in who gets relief since the judge can refuse to expunge on their own discretion.
This is the "access to affordable X" of slave firefighting. It's like student debt forgiveness for pell grant recipients who start a business in a disadvantaged community for 3 years.

Dems can't just say "a felony conviction shall not be a disqualification for firefighting employment" they have to pass some wishy-washy poo poo that technically provides a complicated and unreliable path for some people in this situation to eventually be hired as firefighters, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

bawfuls posted:

This is the "access to affordable X" of slave firefighting. It's like student debt forgiveness for pell grant recipients who start a business in a disadvantaged community for 3 years.

Dems can't just say "a felony conviction shall not be a disqualification for firefighting employment" they have to pass some wishy-washy poo poo that technically provides a complicated and unreliable path for some people in this situation to eventually be hired as firefighters, maybe.

65 year old on the rocker who actually calls the drafters of the bill or whoever they call; WHAT IF A RAPJST BECOMES A FIREIFHGTER AH

Therefore someone who drove 100mph cannot become one.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Also nothing in the bill that favors or assists in getting hired, and it's not like you can fail to disclose where you got your firefighting experience, so better hope the fire chief wherever you're hoping for a job doesn't have an unofficial "no former convict firefighters in my station" rule.

Imagine getting your record expunged, going through academy/exam, getting certified, and then just wasting away on the eligibility rolls because a bunch of fire chiefs are blacklisting any candidates from the prison fire crews. That's a real possibility here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Even my suggestion is stupid lib-brained bullshit, it should be illegal to discriminate in employment based on a felony conviction. If you've been incarcerated and released, you've paid your debt to society.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Four Californians, a comedy sketch where the characters share their ever-more-trenchant opinions of social matters. First one says former convict firefighters should have a chance to expunge their records, next one says all convicts should have that, next one says all convict labor is slavery, and the last one says anyone who tries to send anybody to jail should be sent to jail.

first one says "but if you try to tell that to people anywhere else, they wouldn't believe you." all four shake their heads in sad agreement.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Do we kinda sorta have a thread consensus on the props?
https://ballotpedia.org/California_2020_ballot_propositions

14. Yes?
Issues $5.5 billion in bonds for state stem cell research institute

15. Yes
Requires commercial and industrial properties to be taxed based on market value and dedicates revenue

16. Yes
Repeals Proposition 209 (1996), which says that the state cannot discriminate or grant preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in public employment, education, or contracting

17. Yes
Restores the right to vote to people convicted of felonies who are on parole.

18. Yes
Allows 17-year-olds who will be 18 at the time of the next general election to vote in primaries and special elections

19. No?
Changes tax assessment transfers and inheritance rules

20. No
Makes changes to policies related to criminal sentencing charges, prison release, and DNA collection

21. Yes
Expands local governments' power to use rent control.

22. No
Considers app-based drivers to be independent contractors and enacts several labor policies related to app-based companies

23. Yes?
Requires physician on-site at dialysis clinics and consent from the state for a clinic to close

24. ???
Expands the provisions of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and creates the California Privacy Protection Agency to implement and enforce the CCPA

25. Yes
Replaces cash bail with risk assessments for suspects awaiting trial

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sydin posted:

lmao gently caress off, we're talking about literal loving slave labor here and I'm not going to clap for them promising to maybe treat them a little better. The answer is not to improve the lot of slaves, it is to NOT HAVE loving SLAVES.

I wasn't loving hopping up and down celebrating it. The prison system needs to be fully abolished and a full justice and reconciliation process to be developed. An abolition of modern day slavery without any reservations or compromises.

This is unrelated to that entirely. It's a milquetoast capitulation to a naked injustice that nobody was opposing and it took political capital and lobbying to do anyway.

Small things that are good don't paper over the big poo poo. But it also doesn't mean every small good thing is worthless.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Why does every election need to have a dialysis proposition?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Punkin Spunkin posted:

24. ???
Expands the provisions of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and creates the California Privacy Protection Agency to implement and enforce the CCPA

There are some maybe good things (the law is maybe kinda toothless when enforced by the AG), some "eh" things (a lot of the provisions around the actual requirements seem more or less the same as the existing law, or are otherwise nothingburgers), and has some things that seem really questionable (making penalties immediate seems overly harsh--the current 45-day period with one extension is fine--and the carve-outs that exempt a bunch of classes of info are just wat).

It seems to have a lot of agreeable not-astroturf opposition (ACLU, Color of Change), no EFF position either way, and little support (Andrew Yang and whatever "Common Sense" is), so I'm leaning "not worth baking into the constitution via a prop". The stuff it does could go through the legislature as needed.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

bawfuls posted:

Why can't they just change whatever law prevents convicted felons from working as firefighters? Surely that would be simpler. While this change is an improvement on the status quo, it still means that each individual former-slave-firefighter has to jump through some bureaucratic hoops to get their record expunged before they can work as a firefighter.

And of course, paying them a living wage for the work they're doing in the first place while incarcerated.
If it's anything like getting petition to get your firearm rights restored after being a felon or specific misdemeanor (or if you got a felony charge, but no conviction, and was dismissed through specific circumstances), then pursuing this will require hiring an expensive lawyer. Talking thousands of dollars. Which dampers the whole idea that they get a job with the state because they probably have no money to pay the lawyer so they can (maybe) be eligible to get the job.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure from reading this whole process in AB-2147 that this isn't going to be just the felon filling out a form after they've served their time.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

CPColin posted:

Why does every election need to have a dialysis proposition?

because they're massive profit centers that drive up healthcare costs like crazy

from the 2018 prop that got defeated:

quote:

THERE’S A NEW winner for the coveted title of most expensive ballot initiative campaign in American history. And it’s a race that’s been waged completely under the national radar.

In California, the dialysis industry has spent a record $111.4 million to oppose Proposition 8, which would cap what outpatient clinics can charge patients. Of that sum, $101 million comes from just two for-profit companies, Fresenius and DaVita, which serve around three-quarters of all dialysis patients in California and roughly the same portion nationwide.

The industry’s aggressive spending undercuts its core message in the campaign, that capping profits would lead to mass closures of dialysis clinics, threatening access to treatment. It’s easier to pull off such a plea of poverty when you don’t have $111 million available for television ads, mailers, and other campaign spending.

“These clinics are routinely understaffed, leaving patients at risk,” claimed Yes on 8 spokesperson Sean Wherley. The Yes on 8 campaign believes that the measure would not only rein in dialysis costs (which can run as high as $88,000 a year), but would also force the industry to improve staffing and hygiene at the facilities. “All of a sudden their profits are on the line and they cough up $111 million,” added Wherley, referring to Fresenius and DaVita.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My uncle gets dialysis at a DaVita center. Horrible, uncomfortable seating, understaffed, dirty, his particular center had a broken window that they took something like six weeks to actually fix, and the list goes on. But that prop appears and DaVita suddenly finds tens of millions to run ads about the work they're doing and how they will have to murder my uncle if it passes. Apparently someone working at the center tried to talk him into voting no on the 2018 prop and he asked them if the money they were spending on defeating the prop was why they couldn't afford to fix the window. They stopped talking to him about it after that.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 4, 2020

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought dialasys was like the only UHC we had, so wouldn't we be able to just price control them directly? Isn't the government the only customer? Or did that all change?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

You'd think so - but this is the problem with UHC for just one procedure. There's a monopoly on providers for that procedure, so the government can't negotiate prices and can't pay for alternatives (ie: transplants or preventative care.)

Also, because the grift is good they are actively recruiting people for care they don't need, prolonging illness, or even causing it.

John Oliver did a good summary of the lovely clusterfuck that is dialysis in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw_nqzVfxFQ

For profit health care can get hosed

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

political patriarch is told by the SF paper of record they can't take more than 35 of his columns in a year

https://twitter.com/cmarinucci/status/1302030972074958848

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

quote:

But Newsom on Friday took action that will assist his former mentor by signing AB 2257, a bill passed by the Legislature in the final hours of the legislative session Monday to address the concerns of freelance writers, photographers and musicians who said their livelihoods were at danger. The bill takes effect immediately because it was written as an urgency measure and received two-thirds support.

Seems good. Hopefully this helps that freelance goon although it apparently didn't help Willie

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Seems good. Hopefully this helps that freelance goon although it apparently didn't help Willie

Yep, this is the bill I've been organizing for. Never had a political win before, feels strange. Maybe I'll write 36 columns exploring it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Huego posted:

Yep, this is the bill I've been organizing for. Never had a political win before, feels strange. Maybe I'll write 36 columns exploring it.

Hey awesome :)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Huego posted:

Congrats!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hopefully the law now better fits the land.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/DrewTumaABC7/status/1302400260887572481

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
reposting from one of the weather threads. This is in Fresno FSK.

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks rough at the reservoir. The fire grew so quickly that everyone was cut off and trapped.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Holy poo poo that's horrifying.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

At least that guy can look forward to getting royalties for his episode on I Shouldn't Be Alive.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Not a fan of 14. It made sense in 2004, stem cell was untested new ground and the feds under Dubya's evangelical rule were not going to burn the cash for it no matter how much you ensured nobody was making abortions for the sake of harvesting embryos. Time has moved on, there is either enough science there for for-profit medicine to move things forward or not, and California's economy is rolling without paying people to create biotech jobs.

I'm for 15, 17, and 18, and against 20. I'd like to support 25 for the Prison Reform Hat Trick, but ACLU and others are not happy with the government being the one to make a danger/flight risk assessment of a person though their concerns are being drowned by by bail bonds industry's messaging. I'm not sure who is qualified then, but the opposition blurb likely written by the bail industry is all alarmist about people using computer software and algorithms but I didn't read the bill to find that part.

23 is a no because it does not actually make me think dialysis is going to get any better. The last time we had a dialysis prop, it was to require them to reinvest a percentage of their profits on the service. This time it's a bill written by Health Labor that seems designed to boost the number of jobs available in Health Labor by requiring that there be an RN posted at every facility everywhere during business hours.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 6, 2020

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Punkin Spunkin posted:

14. Yes?
Issues $5.5 billion in bonds for state stem cell research institute

15. Yes
Requires commercial and industrial properties to be taxed based on market value and dedicates revenue

16. Yes
Repeals Proposition 209 (1996), which says that the state cannot discriminate or grant preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in public employment, education, or contracting

17. Yes
Restores the right to vote to people convicted of felonies who are on parole.

18. Yes
Allows 17-year-olds who will be 18 at the time of the next general election to vote in primaries and special elections

19. No?
Changes tax assessment transfers and inheritance rules

20. No
Makes changes to policies related to criminal sentencing charges, prison release, and DNA collection

21. Yes
Expands local governments' power to use rent control.

22. No
Considers app-based drivers to be independent contractors and enacts several labor policies related to app-based companies

23. Yes?
Requires physician on-site at dialysis clinics and consent from the state for a clinic to close

24. ???

25. Yes
Replaces cash bail with risk assessments for suspects awaiting trial

I pretty much agree with this except 15, 16 and 22.

15 and 22 I am pretty wishy washy on, I am a hard no on 16.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 6, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
16 gets rid of something we know doesn't work very well, potentially opening to door for something we don't know will actually work at all, but it isn't as bold as to actually institute policies of preferential treatment. Ending a ban on preferential treatment doesn't actually require it be institutionalized immediately, so in the short term it's possible nothing changes. This is because a thing that did work (quotas) was shot down by a SCOTUS filled with Nixon appointees. As far as I can tell, 16's passage basically signals to agencies and departments, "hey, you think we need more diversity around the office? Go for it, this passage of law will back you up." Aside from which, any sort of real policy supporting that reverse discrimination against whites is good actually and can't be racist would cause the entire thing to get shot to hell by the Trump SCOTUS.

It sort of depends on how much you feel government staffing should depend on merit. I'm softly for 16 though I could flip flop, as on most days I'm someone who thinks most government agencies shouldn't pay wages competitive to the private sector but should be a place where people overlooked by the private sector on merit can still find work (the exception is public health & safety, where underqualified hires could cost lives.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 6, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It’s not even merit or whatever.

Something like 16 acknowledges that poor people, who are more often minorities, have fewer opportunities to do things like unpaid internships, k-12 extracurriculars, etc, that make them more attractive to hiring. If the position that’s open looks better when someone has 500 hours of x under their belt, but x is only to be had by working for nothing, it is discriminatory and the modern version of the Lee Atwater quote.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

HelloSailorSign posted:

It’s not even merit or whatever.

Something like 16 acknowledges that poor people, who are more often minorities, have fewer opportunities to do things like unpaid internships, k-12 extracurriculars, etc, that make them more attractive to hiring. If the position that’s open looks better when someone has 500 hours of x under their belt, but x is only to be had by working for nothing, it is discriminatory and the modern version of the Lee Atwater quote.

I would rather see a focus in stamping out unpaid internships instead oft allowing the state to discriminate. If you want to expand opportunities in universities then force enrollment to expand. The UC system has turned into a luxury brand that boast about their low acceptance rate. These are gateways in the caste society that we have and they should be taking on more students that meet the minimum requirements. It's crazy to me that these universities aren't expanding their class sizes relative to population growth.

I would rather see a completely merit based system and the focus to be spent to allow for more opportunities for people to learn and get experience applicable to jobs and positions.

I am a mixed race person and I genuinely find prop 16 insulting and a dangerous slippery slope.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

A "completely merit-based" system is one that favors the status quo. This is just the same anti-affirmative-action argument we've been hearing for thirty years. poo poo, it was the point of Rise of the Meritocracy, which coined the word in the 50s.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trump wants to investigate California, and only California, for using the 1619 project in schools.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hope he finds California guilty and kicks it out of the Union.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

CPColin posted:

I hope he finds California guilty and kicks it out of the Union.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I would rather see a focus in stamping out unpaid internships instead oft allowing the state to discriminate. If you want to expand opportunities in universities then force enrollment to expand. The UC system has turned into a luxury brand that boast about their low acceptance rate. These are gateways in the caste society that we have and they should be taking on more students that meet the minimum requirements. It's crazy to me that these universities aren't expanding their class sizes relative to population growth.

I would rather see a completely merit based system and the focus to be spent to allow for more opportunities for people to learn and get experience applicable to jobs and positions.

I am a mixed race person and I genuinely find prop 16 insulting and a dangerous slippery slope.

Turns out you can’t stamp out the unpaid internships and people salivate over “race blind” admission and hiring processes that oh whoops just so happens to impact minorities more, so weird?!

I’m mixed ancestry too, is it time to start waving each other’s 23andMe results at each other to prove cred?

It really loving sucks to be the token, but until society in general gets better, that’s what we got. The status quo is, at best, ignorantly classist, if not deliberately racist and classist (which is what it is).

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Turns out you can’t stamp out the unpaid internships and people salivate over “race blind” admission and hiring processes that oh whoops just so happens to impact minorities more, so weird?!

I’m mixed ancestry too, is it time to start waving each other’s 23andMe results at each other to prove cred?

It really loving sucks to be the token, but until society in general gets better, that’s what we got. The status quo is, at best, ignorantly classist, if not deliberately racist and classist (which is what it is).

I agree with this. People don't enter the labor market on equal footing. The only way one 18 year old can have more "merit" than another is by access to opportunities that cost money and require social access. The kid who spends their high school years babysitting so mom can work isn't going to have anything to put on that first resume compared to the kid who got to do lots of extracurriculars. The summer job at Dairy Queen doesn't look nearly as meritorious as the summer job at dad's friend's bank. If a scale is crooked you counterbalance it. It's the only way to bring it back to the center.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm not sure if it's been posted or not yet but Pete Rates the Props has his votes up, along with a quick summary explaining each one (no deep dive analysis yet). FWIW he's:

Prop. 14 - NO
Prop. 15 - YES
Prop. 16 - YES
Prop. 17 - YES
Prop. 18 - YES
Prop. 19 - NO
Prop. 20 - NO
Prop. 21 - YES
Prop. 22 - NO
Prop. 23 - NO
Prop. 24 - NO
Prop. 25 - YES

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah.

When you wind up putting ever higher standards and requirements on something, you continue to put it out of range of people who would probably do fine and maybe even better than those with supposed, “experience” because what people who hire tend to recognize is experience that was like theirs.

In veterinary medicine, there are far more applicants than spots at the US and nearby schools. So, to decrease the numbers that the small admissions committees have to look through, the standards for those who make it in rise. Good, right? You’re admitting students who, instead of the 3.2 GPA undergrad of 20 years ago, you’re only admitting the 3.8. Instead of 20 years ago admitting those with 100 hours of veterinary experience, you’re admitting those with 1000 hours. That means they understand the profession, right?

Eeehhhhhhhh

You wind up having a student body filled with students capable of having loads of experience hours and super high GPAs. Right now, veterinary medicine is one of the whitest professions in the US, with about 90% white people.

Meanwhile, any number of minority groups have been hugely involved with agriculture, ranching, etc.... and have little to no representation in the profession.

Turns out that the jobs you can get to get that experience are either volunteer or starting at minimum wage, while you can work atMcDonalds and make more than minimum. When each dollar counts to keep you fed and housed, it’s an easy choice. When undergrad GPA comes from being able to study oodles and get additional help from tutors and essay writers, turns out trying to put yourself through undergrad working graveyards at the bar doesn’t lend itself to loads of veterinary experience nor to 4.0 GPAs, which are the things getting you into veterinary school.

I mean, they could go to the Caribbean schools, but they are spitting out students with average debts of 250k+ while DVMs cap out just over 100k Salary, and probably after a decade of work and getting good.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Huego posted:

I agree with this. People don't enter the labor market on equal footing. The only way one 18 year old can have more "merit" than another is by access to opportunities that cost money and require social access. The kid who spends their high school years babysitting so mom can work isn't going to have anything to put on that first resume compared to the kid who got to do lots of extracurriculars. The summer job at Dairy Queen doesn't look nearly as meritorious as the summer job at dad's friend's bank. If a scale is crooked you counterbalance it. It's the only way to bring it back to the center.

So what happens to poor whites that are stuck baby sitting instead of having sweet heart internships? Prop 16 doesn't do anything for them.

If the scale is sitting on a slanted edge then that's why it's crooked, you don't move the scale you fix the edge.

I genuinely find it disturbing that this is even on the ballot.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enigma89 posted:

So what happens to poor whites that are stuck baby sitting instead of having sweet heart internships? Prop 16 doesn't do anything for them.

If the scale is sitting on a slanted edge then that's why it's crooked, you don't move the scale you fix the edge.

I genuinely find it disturbing that this is even on the ballot.

"What about poor whites" and "I find affirmative action disturbing" are very popular opinions so I'm sure you can find the political movement that suits your needs.