Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's probably closest to sage and onion stuffing if I was to suggest a comparison, but it's softer. And it tastes a bit different, but similar savoury herby sausagey sort of taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

LifeSunDeath posted:

Kale chips go great with ketchup, and if you make them at home they taste like french fries, it's great.

if you have previously eaten breaded fried shrimp, and dipped it in cocktail sauce

go and make/buy some onion rings, and dip them in cocktail sauce

you brain will insist that this is shrimp

it has to be

this is the only logical conclusion

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tastes terrible.

Better than you'd think, but I can't finish a slice.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

LifeSunDeath posted:

These are the only pasties I want to talk about :

amateur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUVm3LFdVjc

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Could someone please post that recipe parody for mashed potatoes? It began with several paragraphs about winters spent with cousins and ended with something like "Boil an potato. Mash it. Add salt, not to much."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

And in Sweden we call it kålrot - cabbage root.

which it sort of is. meet your vegetable god.

boar guy posted:

good dabs, really good dabs, WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT GROSS ASHES AND COUSCOUS

haggis neeps n tatties ye daft oval office.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Could someone please post that recipe parody for mashed potatoes? It began with several paragraphs about winters spent with cousins and ended with something like "Boil an potato. Mash it. Add salt, not to much."
I will love that post forever and I envy you because you don't remember it verbatim:

quote:

me: *googles how to mash potatoes*

some food blogger: My childhood home was full of wind and light. On a brisk Autumn evening, it often felt as if the outside was in. My younger sister, my mother, our favourite cousin, our dog, our other dog, our dog’s sister, and I would sit on the floor in the living room for hours, lit only by the moon and candlelight

me: *scrolls for several minutes*

some food blogger: It was at that moment, with my tiny hands clasped tightly around a mason jar filled with fireflies, that I realised the true value of family. My dog and my dog’s sister came and sat quietly at my feet. We stared up at the sky together, and I felt truly connected to both the Earth at my feet and the ancestors who shared the blood that ran through them, for the first time realising that

me: *scrolls for several minutes*

some food blogger: and when we finally made it home, our cheeks flushed with laughter and cold, there were warm mashed potatoes waiting for us. I will always remember their fluffiness, perfectly mirroring the light feeling I carried with me for the entire next week. This is my favourite cousin’s recipe from that very day, modified slightly to not be loving awful. Boil an potato and smush it up with fork and botter. NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it
https://galpalactic.tumblr.com/post/134577149346/me-googles-how-to-mash-potatoes-some-food

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I will love that post forever and I envy you because you don't remember it verbatim:

I usually can't remember the whole thing on demand, but my mind is forever branded with the words "NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

which it sort of is. meet your vegetable god.

haggis neeps n tatties ye daft oval office.

Huh, didn't know kohlrabi came in purple.

Also I'm used to the little white and purple ones being turnips and the big yellowish ones being rutabagas, but there seems to be a lot of disagreement about that.

Brassicas are great, I love them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lately when I've been coding and I have to look at "raw" JSON output in a tool I'm using, my brain will serve me up in equal probabilities:

a) Gollum going "rrrrraaawwww and wrrrrrriggling" with his eyes rolling back in his head in ecstasy

b) NOT A RAW.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

https://galpalactic.tumblr.com/post/134577149346/me-googles-how-to-mash-potatoes-some-food
Thank you so much! :tipshat: I was blanking on the right goofy words at the end that would help me Google it or even find it in this thread. (There are a surprising number of hits for "mashed potato cousin".)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I should have known something was up when it had scare quotes, but goddamn.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Schubalts posted:

I should have known something was up when it had scare quotes, but goddamn.

I don't know about you, but would

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
gently caress i wanna make it myself

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Didn't know fried pound-cake was a thing, but now I want it to be a thing badly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Didn't know fried pound-cake was a thing, but now I want it to be a thing badly.

Yeah my main takeaway from the video was "hmm, yes, I could fry a cake couldn't I? I could fry anything I can fit into the pan"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I could fry anything I can fit into the pan"

re-fried pancakes might not work so good, but if like gordon ramsey made it I'm sure it would be insanely good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah my main takeaway from the video was "hmm, yes, I could fry a cake couldn't I? I could fry anything I can fit into the pan"
This is the kind of simple realization that consequently requires a lot of willpower.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Casu Marzu posted:

Yogurt sodas are great

yodas

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

“Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CEr2RexBlt7/?igshid=1oxaywsg87ifq

Probably tastes fine but looks like a loving guac milkshake

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Sep 4, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pico de gallo base, layer of crema in the middle, big hunk 'o' guac on top, I see it.

It'd make a great dip.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Elviscat posted:

Pico de gallo base, layer of crema in the middle, big hunk 'o' guac on top, I see it.

It'd make a great dip.

One of my former local Mexican places did a layered dip like this

It's insanely good

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I have discovered smorgastarta, or swedish sandwich cake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Created by the emperor of man himself to defend humanity from the evils of chaos, the adeptus smorgastartes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zenithe posted:

I have discovered smorgastarta, or swedish sandwich cake.

Swedish food can be hit and miss sometimes but smörgåstårta has this sad midwestern vibe to it that unsettles me. And the wee shrimp! No! NO!

For the record the dill and sour cream potato chips loving own. Imagine sour cream and onion but kissed by a pickle and I say this as a devout pickle hater. If someone wants to pay out the rear end for a bag and wait like a thousand years let me know.

E: I’ve lived here for four years and not once have I heard a Swede mention a drat thing about flygande jakob.

teen witch has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Sep 4, 2020

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

teen witch posted:

Swedish food can be hit and miss sometimes but smörgåstårta has this sad midwestern vibe to it that unsettles me. And the wee shrimp! No! NO!

For the record the dill and sour cream potato chips loving own. Imagine sour cream and onion but kissed by a pickle and I say this as a devout pickle hater. If someone wants to pay out the rear end for a bag and wait like a thousand years let me know.

E: I’ve lived here for four years and not once have I heard a Swede mention a drat thing about flygande jakob.

Peanut rings are loving awesome.

And the stuff they call "bearnaise sauce", which is so coagulated you can safely hold a whole bowl upside down, or it comes in bars they melt onto your pizza.

I do miss 1hr lunches with hot meals. I do not miss coming into work before 8 and leaving after 5.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I just remembered that there was a video of these crazy guys making a flying jacob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvW2xeSn4As

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

buncha scandanavian immigrants made the midwest

thats the thing scandanavians cant do, which is have ordinary folks cook for poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I just remembered that there was a video of these crazy guys making a flying jacob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvW2xeSn4As

Thanks I hate it

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
As a swede, it can be difficult to cook for some of my friends and especially my mother, since I like putting things in my food that makes it taste good, whereas they prefer it when it doesn't taste good.

People here also generally want their steak well done. This is less true now than it was 20 or 40 years ago, but when I worked at a restaurant I think at least 40% of the meat I sold was well done.

Smörgåstårta is usually fine, though. Hardly worth the price, but it's not really something you pay for unless you're organizing an event yourself.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I watch a twitch streamer from Iceland sometime and it's always interesting to see what bizarre preparation of seafood he's eating on a given day

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I watch a twitch streamer from Iceland sometime and it's always interesting to see what bizarre preparation of seafood he's eating on a given day

My friend from Iceland brought that ammonia shark back to us one time. The smell when he opened the case 🤮 it was like a toilet that had never been cleaned and was only used by people for pissin

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/zatzi/status/1301901432556322818?s=21

https://twitter.com/bealeionaire/status/1301980492330405888?s=21

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

don longjohns posted:

My friend from Iceland brought that ammonia shark back to us one time. The smell when he opened the case 🤮 it was like a toilet that had never been cleaned and was only used by people for pissin

But enough about the president's new line of men's fragrances

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the one hand, I wouldn't have eaten seasoned chicken as a kid.

On the other hand, I don't believe a rees mogg knows how to cook any other way.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they didn't actually eat that, Brit aristos are obligate cannibals.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

On the one hand, I wouldn't have eaten seasoned chicken as a kid.

I wouldn’t have eaten that bland hunk of tasteless meat even as a kid without drowning it in dressing or cheese or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001