Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

If anyone here ordered the new Haslabs Sentinel, I better see a picture reenacting “It appears to be the ace of spades.”

Also, I just finished the Brood Saga in Uncanny X-Men, and it was really good and really weird with the space whale spirits. After that I read Annual #5, and the ending with Wolverine staking (I already forgot her name) Van Helsing was really good, especially for the time

Brood Saga is one of my favorite arcs.

I need to read the annuals from that era, when I was doing my read through I wasn't using a guide so I just read Uncanny in order on Marvel Unlimited and then checked out other stuff when an editor's note mentioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m using a guide, and as a kid born in 1985, it’s loving wild finding out the timeline of how things really turned out. Tomorrow I’m going to dive into the New Mutants.

Also, I’m going to go into my HoX/PoX box and see how many X-Men books have been put out since then. Maybe break down some numbers before X of Swords.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Didn’t they try to make Ahab some supporting character from late in the original run of Excalibur who loved mutants and had a crush on Rachel but got injured in an accident or something so now was going to get revenge on all mutants?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m using a guide, and as a kid born in 1985, it’s loving wild finding out the timeline of how things really turned out. Tomorrow I’m going to dive into the New Mutants.

Also, I’m going to go into my HoX/PoX box and see how many X-Men books have been put out since then. Maybe break down some numbers before X of Swords.

If you don't already own Fallen Angels don't bother getting it. It's not good and barely referenced in the other books.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rick posted:

Didn’t they try to make Ahab some supporting character from late in the original run of Excalibur who loved mutants and had a crush on Rachel but got injured in an accident or something so now was going to get revenge on all mutants?

It was Roderick Cambell, who found out he's supposed to turn into Ahab in the future and gets freaked out about it, so he takes positions helping mutants so that he never develops any anti-mutant bigotry--but then, what if that's just the thing that sets him on the path to become Ahab? Kinda intriguing but not actually good, IIRC. The name got used in The Gifted in one of the deepest continuity pulls for any TV show I can think of.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

If you don't already own Fallen Angels don't bother getting it. It's not good and barely referenced in the other books.

I don't plan on reading it but what was bad about it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't plan on reading it but what was bad about it?

Just a complete misunderstanding of every single character and at least in the first half the plot wasn't good either.

A real hatchet job on Laura/X-23/Wolverine that seemed like they didn't know anything about her since her first ongoing.

Edit: A good clue that it's gonna be mostly ignored is she goes by X-23 in the book (and she had been going by that in her most recent book because the other Wolverine came back) and then the first time Hickman gives her dialogue it's to correct Cyclops that she's Wolverine, not X-23 and Logan Wolverine immediately backs her up.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 4, 2020

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Also the art is loving atrocious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Just a complete misunderstanding of every single character and at least in the first half the plot wasn't good either.

A real hatchet job on Laura/X-23/Wolverine that seemed like they didn't know anything about her since her first ongoing.

Edit: A good clue that it's gonna be mostly ignored is she goes by X-23 in the book (and she had been going by that in her most recent book because the other Wolverine came back) and then the first time Hickman gives her dialogue it's to correct Cyclops that she's Wolverine, not X-23 and Logan Wolverine immediately backs her up.

Hill admitted he didn't read Laura's stuff since... well, he just hadn't read Laura's stuff and was a little surprised by the pushback.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

Hill admitted he didn't read Laura's stuff since... well, he just hadn't read Laura's stuff and was a little surprised by the pushback.

:wtc:

She was literally Wolverine, and he didn't bother doing any research and just assumed nobody would care?

You had like three leads, man! She was theo ne with the most backstory, why would you skip hers?

Anyone got the tweets? I want to see his reasoning.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think he was just operating on 2000s-era X-23 as brooding, damaged loner canon.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

How Wonderful! posted:

Smythe is also a former SA admin so I thought there was some horrific new goon scandal to catch up on.
And Cable's sort of alien Moloid looking father figure from the future is named Blaquesmith, and I wasn't sure how Young Cable could be him but was willing to go along with it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

I’m dedicated to buying every X book as they come out. Fallen Angels was the only one that burned me. New Mutants I’d consider the most uneven.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Android Blues posted:

I think he was just operating on 2000s-era X-23 as brooding, damaged loner canon.

Isn't that just Wolverine, though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Retro X-23 is extra damaged and extra brooding. Logan usually surrounds himself with allies, apprentices, and love interests, even in his low moods.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I was trying to be funny, but you're right. She also doesn't drink, that I'm aware of, which is a nice change of pace.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

On some level I can appreciate writers are too busy to read everything about the character they're writing but Hill didn't look at anything. You'd think at least he'd sneak a peek at the very last X-23 series.* What really got people was he was writing Cassandra Cain (who is, for good or ill, often compared to Laura) over for DC as part of a team book and people just loved it.

*I can't recall if Hill ever even mentioned Gabby.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Dan Didio posted:

I was trying to be funny, but you're right. She also doesn't drink, that I'm aware of, which is a nice change of pace.

Nope, just cutting!

...Which, given the drinking games on Krakoa is... hmm.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is Anole old enough to be a bartender? Or even be anywhere near a bar?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Saoshyant posted:

Is Anole old enough to be a bartender? Or even be anywhere near a bar?

Mutant laws! Maybe it's 18+ on Krakoa. I can't imagine the various Europeans and -[A]- on the Quiet Council pushing for 21 as the drinking age.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:eng101: Some states let you tend bar at 18 even though you can't legally serve yourself!

But also Krakoa has its own laws and maybe they don't give a gently caress about drinking at a minor!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I think given that they have like 14 different ways to recover your body and brain to a perfect undamaged state, unblemished by everything from stab wounds to experimental super-viruses, that maybe the usual concerns about underage drinking do not necessarily apply to krakoan mutants

I figure they've been okay with children committing murder if the dude's bad enough, let 'em have fun too

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Anole also was older at one point because a bunch of X-Men got stranded in the future or something. Never gets brought up because none of the New X-Men cohort other than Armor get the respect they loving deserve.

Regarding the current arc in Wolverine: I never get tired of stupid Dracula poo poo in X-books. Vampires and X-Men make so little sense and I just cannot get enough of it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rochallor posted:

It was Roderick Cambell, who found out he's supposed to turn into Ahab in the future and gets freaked out about it, so he takes positions helping mutants so that he never develops any anti-mutant bigotry--but then, what if that's just the thing that sets him on the path to become Ahab? Kinda intriguing but not actually good, IIRC. The name got used in The Gifted in one of the deepest continuity pulls for any TV show I can think of.

Ah, yes that's it. I remember it being very eye-rolly in execution and I'm normally a sucker for dramatic irony.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

rantmo posted:

Anole also was older at one point because a bunch of X-Men got stranded in the future or something. Never gets brought up because none of the New X-Men cohort other than Armor get the respect they loving deserve.

It is weird that there was a whole New Mutants comic and only the member who was a Reaver has any presence anymore.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

It is weird that there was a whole New Mutants comic and only the member who was a Reaver has any presence anymore.
Hey, Prodigy is on X-Factor and back with the X-Men after his short stint as a young avenger.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Fritzler posted:

Hey, Prodigy is on X-Factor and back with the X-Men after his short stint as a young avenger.

And after graduating from multidimensional college! I was lukewarm on that book but I'm weirdly happy that it was mentioned.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fritzler posted:

I wonder if speed will be appearing in x-factor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder if speed will be appearing in x-factor

Is he a mutant? Not that that's a requirement, I just realized I didn't know if he was considered one, especially since Scarlett Witch is no longer a mutant.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure he is a mutant.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In my heart maybe, but no. After Wanda's mutant status was retconned, Billy and Tommy are no longer considered mutants either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, his mom is essentially considered to be the devil on krakoa. might make things awkward.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Is he a mutant? Not that that's a requirement, I just realized I didn't know if he was considered one, especially since Scarlett Witch is no longer a mutant.

Northstar’s human husband is there. The issue might be his mother as she is the devil

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Important reveal regarding the resurrection process in the newest Marauders: Kate's finger tattoos didn't survive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, X-Factor. :allears:

It would be so easy to do a thing with the Mojoverse and social media and do it badly, having it come off as 'the Millenials with their twitchy streams and bell ringing and their big pants and I don't know what' but it really sings here. Daken gives the most perfect description of himself.

#XFAQtor

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 9, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I hate Beast.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beast is such an rear end in a top hat. It was nice to see Wolverine slug him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Man, X-Factor. :allears:

It would be so easy to do a thing with the Mojoverse and social media and do it badly, having it come off as 'the Millenials with their twitchy streams and bell ringing and their big pants and I don't know what' but it really sings here. Daken gives the most perfect description of himself.

#XFAQtor

Did those New Warriors comics with Safe Space and Screen Time ever come out, or was that stuff scuttled before publication?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Laughing Zealot posted:

Important reveal regarding the resurrection process in the newest Marauders: Kate's finger tattoos didn't survive.

That was revealed in last month's! Not pointed out directly but you can see they're not there.

What WAS revealed this month about Kate is that resurrection CAN FINALLY MAKE YOU REALIZE YOU'RE BI AAAAAAAAAAA it's about GODDAMN time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

NmareBfly posted:

That was revealed in last month's! Not pointed out directly but you can see they're not there.

What WAS revealed this month about Kate is that resurrection CAN FINALLY MAKE YOU REALIZE YOU'RE BI AAAAAAAAAAA it's about GODDAMN time.

I loved how Marauders #12 was in "that's gay to me, but people will just write it off as gals being pals" territory (though, really, really gay) and then Kate finally unleashed her best bisexual self. :toot:

My bet's on Rachel and Kitty getting together at last, not least because I'm pretty sure that Leah Williams is a big proponent of them?