Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine what that pic smelled like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems like it'd be really easy to recognise that shirt and just not use the pictures with the dude in it, what with being a model maker and all...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arquinsiel posted:

Seems like it'd be really easy to recognise that shirt and just not use the pictures with the dude in it, what with being a model maker and all...

Yep. Euros have a weird sensibility with that war stuff, not unlike when you see japanese kids with nazi clothing. Mig probably didn't think anything of that guys shirt.

I mean, AK distributes the Abteilung 502 oil points, a brand named after a nazi tank battalion, even using the same Mammoth unit insignia as their logo. poo poo's just... different, over there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You are stereotyping wildly. AK/MIG are Spanish so even though they had an actual fascist government until the 1970's the regional differences between the Basques, Catalans, and Castillians mean that unless you are VERY familiar with a person you probably shouldn't assume how happy they are with all that. This level of nuance is a half-assed long distance understanding of it based on one rich Castillian dude I used to know and his explanation of why the separatist movements in the other regions were "just whining".

But also... that picture was taken in Virginia.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I can appreciate the passion for historical accuracy in the hobby but I'm much more interested in theme and story. I think the nerds in modeling and wargaming that are tonedeaf tend to view history just as a series of events rather than a story that was acted out and upon real people. It circles back to grognards complaining about 'bringing politics into their hobby' which is just wild when most of us tend to depict artifacts of the most extreme expression of politics. Shout out to Baronjutter who is doing some of the most interesting non-military work in the thread.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Usually the same people complaining about politics in their hobby are the ones who painstakingly research the largest possible amount of swastikas to put on their tanks.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
To be fair, if you remove all politics and only judge governments on their ability to build awesome tanks, the Nazis and Stalinists look really good.

Edit: awesome-looking, even if they were wretched at actually fighting

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 3, 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
german tanks were wretched past maybe the panzer 4

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Man I am so glad I am only into car modelling.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Man I am so glad I am only into car modelling.

the one thing Porsche was half decent at

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

german tanks were wretched past maybe the panzer 4

I hate sanding wheels, so German tanks are terrible to build. The Panzer IV is actually worse than the Panther since the wheels are smaller.

And yet I still built 3 Panzer IVs, gently caress

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

no way interleaved road wheels are the loving worst, give me a billion single wheels anyday

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

I hate sanding wheels, so German tanks are terrible to build. The Panzer IV is actually worse than the Panther since the wheels are smaller.

And yet I still built 3 Panzer IVs, gently caress

You can also do silly stuff with the panther like glue overlapping wheels together so you can paint them as a few assemblies. Still a pain in the rear end, but better than the unending hell that is Object 279 or the Maus.

Edit: 279's wheels aren't that bad, but, uh

The individual link tracks take a while.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 3, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So on another note I keep seeing references to people melting their plastic aircraft tires to appear as if they're, you know, tires with weight on them (and b/c nobody actually fills up aircraft tires all the way)

But how do you actually do that?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i've never tried it but i would assume it would be heating up a section of tire over a candle and then smooshing the heated part into something flat. I do something similar to make replacement head light lens. heat up the tip of a clear plastic sprue and then shove into a row of paperclips to get the ridge effect. and then sand the melted blob into a round blank

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

So on another note I keep seeing references to people melting their plastic aircraft tires to appear as if they're, you know, tires with weight on them (and b/c nobody actually fills up aircraft tires all the way)

People usually buy aftermarket weighted wheels for this, or sand down the bottom of the wheels on a flat surface.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Heat up a broad flat screwdriver?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Who makes that kit? Does it come with the figure?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Scut posted:

Who makes that kit? Does it come with the figure?

takom and yes

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/takom-2001-object-279--208399

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The Avenger is proceeding along nicely. I hope to get the interior painted, the wires run, and the fuselage buttoned up soon. I'm still waiting on a figure for the cockpit, so buttoning the fuselage up may get delayed a bit, but hopefully it'll be soon..

The radio pack in the Avenger (the middle cockpit) underwent a lot of revisions over the course of the aircraft's lifespan. Trumpeter is doing weird stuff with it. The TBF-1C kit (this one) includes the radio pack most often found in the TBM-3. Their TBM-3 kit (which I built years ago) features the early radio pack that I wanted to use here. So, I had to scratch build it. It's not perfect, but I'm happy with the way it came out. The thing with the silly putty blob on it is a cockpit light and should shed a good amount of illumination in the darker regions of the middle cockpit.

Most of the turret. Eduard PE and thin solder for wiring.

Most everything is dry fit at this point, so painting should be pretty straight forward. 98% of this work will never be seen once the model is assembled. :sigh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no way interleaved road wheels are the loving worst, give me a billion single wheels anyday
A lone Churchill kit appears in your stash. Every time you complete it, another replaces it.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this the right place, but I don't suppose anyone has some spare waterslide decals with some random numbers on it?

I 3D printed up a king crab mech and wanted to just add some minor numbering/lettering to it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Saint Celestine posted:

Not sure if this the right place, but I don't suppose anyone has some spare waterslide decals with some random numbers on it?

I 3D printed up a king crab mech and wanted to just add some minor numbering/lettering to it.

Get some Archer Transfers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Saint Celestine posted:

It might be worth your while heading to Fighting Pirannha* and seeing if their number sheets are any good to you. Slow turnaround though, so be wary of that.

* yes... really.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Saint Celestine posted:

drat that thing looks fine. Better than any official BT model I’ve ever seen.
And like Hedgehog said, Archer Transfers will get you what you need, they’re a little tricky to apply but look great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bucnasti posted:

drat that thing looks fine. Better than any official BT model I’ve ever seen.
And like Hedgehog said, Archer Transfers will get you what you need, they’re a little tricky to apply but look great.

I would spend so much money if whoever owns BattleTech would license Bandai to make a line of snap-build Battlemech kits.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I would spend so much money if whoever owns BattleTech would license Bandai to make a line of snap-build Battlemech kits.

I need to file bankruptcy just thinking about that .

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Saint Celestine posted:

I have shitloads of German turret numbers for you, I switched to all Allied stuff so I wont use them.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Whoever owns battletech" is such a loaded statement that it's precisely why a Japanese model company will never be allowed to do it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vorenus posted:

Right ?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vorenus posted:

You two know you can just get like, most of the original mechs in kit form anyway, right? With the Dougram variants not used in Battletech you can even probably mock up some variants.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

You two know you can just get like, most of the original mechs in kit form anyway, right? With the Dougram variants not used in Battletech you can even probably mock up some variants.

poo poo last time I checked there were only the 50+ bucks kits, but there are new Destroid kits? By bandai? Which are cheap?

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-destroid-defender-adr-04-mkx-ban966789

But many of the macross kits are really old and not that well detailed afaik.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 4, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think that kit is pretty old actually. I have the Tomahawk from that line terribly painted up as Natasha Kerensky. I really need to clean and repaint it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

This seems like a sensitive and nuanced promotional campaign.

Saw this in the AK newsletter today. Buy a 1:1 scale piece of track and a 1:12 scale resin track assistant. Includes a name plate and metal badge. So uh... I guess I'm not the target market for this sort of thing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think that's a regulation way of wearing an iron cross.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Only for Goering.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I remember seeing an assembly and painting guide for an LAV-25 that suggested putting the model on a pan at low heat to make the weight look somewhat realistic. Never tried it myself though and it's been years since I saw it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Some people use an iron set on low and press the tire against it, then trim off any plastic that splodges out. Not too hot or your tire will get a lot flatter than you wanted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilljonas posted:

poo poo last time I checked there were only the 50+ bucks kits, but there are new Destroid kits? By bandai? Which are cheap?

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-destroid-defender-adr-04-mkx-ban966789

But many of the macross kits are really old and not that well detailed afaik.

You fool, don't mention the Unseen! You want us all to get sued by Harmony Gold?! :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cooked Auto posted:

I remember seeing an assembly and painting guide for an LAV-25 that suggested putting the model on a pan at low heat to make the weight look somewhat realistic. Never tried it myself though and it's been years since I saw it.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Some people use an iron set on low and press the tire against it, then trim off any plastic that splodges out. Not too hot or your tire will get a lot flatter than you wanted.

I'm sure this works but honestly this is just a great recipe for me to ruin a pan/iron, and a kit, and stink up my apartment