Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think she was a freelance author. Which isn't unusual, GW utilizes a lot of them. I think they could at least do a lot by having one on the actual staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Kitchner posted:

I bought this guy pretty cheap off ebay, he's going to be a sort of restoration project:

In other talk, here is the progress on the miniature after I've stripped it and removed the defunct power fist

After looking more closely I think at some point someone had stuck blades on the back of each fist and sort of made a Lord with Lightening Talons or Claws or whatever chaos calls them. Their gone now and I have to say I quite like this model.

Waiting for a terminator combi-plasma to arrive (along with the hand holding it) and a backpack, and I think I can move onto painting it.

I will say this about the previous owner, they pinned the metal arm holding the helmet really well, which I'm immensely glad of because I do not have the patience to drill a hole as deep as this guy did into a metal model using my hand drill.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

I will say this about the previous owner, they pinned the metal arm holding the helmet really well, which I'm immensely glad of because I do not have the patience to drill a hole as deep as this guy did into a metal model using my hand drill.

You might not believe it but having a good quality drill bit makes a huge difference. The bits that come bundled with your average pin-vise and sold in packs are *not* good quality.

I hated drilling metal until I found a bit from the local hardware store - think it was a trade rated cobalt bit rather than the usual HSS junk. It cost about 3 quid compared to the pennies for the regular but it goes through metal like butter. I've gotten to the point where I've accidentally drilled *through* metal models which was never going to happen with the crap bits.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Z the IVth posted:

You might not believe it but having a good quality drill bit makes a huge difference. The bits that come bundled with your average pin-vise and sold in packs are *not* good quality.

I hated drilling metal until I found a bit from the local hardware store - think it was a trade rated cobalt bit rather than the usual HSS junk. It cost about 3 quid compared to the pennies for the regular but it goes through metal like butter. I've gotten to the point where I've accidentally drilled *through* metal models which was never going to happen with the crap bits.

I mean this is good advice, however I also don't work with metal models very often anymore (thank god) but I may invest in one next time a metal model breaks or I buy another rescue project off ebay.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

Meanwhile I'm here wondering if Alpharius and Omegon were on the same page of the 'play traitor so ultimately chaos is destroyed' plan or if they wouldn't have been able to help themselves and had to super ultimate betrayal their twin.

As a consumate Alpha Legion player, my favorite part of the Legion's character is that they can't help but to make their poo poo overcomplicated and eventually gently caress everything up. They're like pretentious World Eaters who won't admit that they're more focused on having a fun fight and griefing the Imperium than actually achieving their goals.

(I am wholly on the "Alpha Legion had/are still having a civil war that they refuse to tell anybody about" side of the argument.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My Sister Tariana Palos order finally arrived. Way over the 120 days they promised back in like march. :v:
At least she finally arrived so that's nice. Just need to decide what Order she belongs to.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

My Sister Tariana Palos order finally arrived. Way over the 120 days they promised back in like march. :v:
At least she finally arrived so that's nice. Just need to decide what Order she belongs to.

Yeah my Librarian in terminator armour that was made to order has been sent to the store I asked them to send it to. He's going to be a Grey Knight for sure though.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

I'm not going to have a remotely current Space Marine codex until the new one comes out. Can you take power fists on Intercessor sergeants? Regular not assault. I've always done Crimson Fists so irrelevant power fists are almost compulsory.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

BirdieBedtime posted:

(I am wholly on the "Alpha Legion had/are still having a civil war that they refuse to tell anybody about" side of the argument.)

I think that when they heard the cabal prophecy and being presented with a binary choice traitor/loyal to save the galaxy/humanity, they decided “why not both? Let’s see the prophecy figure that one out”.

My favorite dumb but hilarious alpha legion theory is: ‘secretly triplets’. Threefold serpent and all that. Named: Alpha, Rius (female obviously, vis a vis the earlier discussion - you can decide whether she is the original canon 1st edition space marine jayne or gabs) and Omegon.

Shallow posted:

I'm not going to have a remotely current Space Marine codex until the new one comes out. Can you take power fists on Intercessor sergeants? Regular not assault. I've always done Crimson Fists so irrelevant power fists are almost compulsory.

Yes. I built all my imperial fist sergeants like that. It’s can be little inconvient when building lists, but what kind of imperial fist sarge would leave the Phalanx without a fist. No son of mine, that’s for sure.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 4, 2020

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

I got mine last month, but definitely forgot I'd ordered it so when I got the shipping notification, I was really confused for a minute.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I had fully expected to get my order of the Bloodlines book before getting her. In my case I was reminded of I had ordered her when someone mentioned getting her in this thread.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Shallow posted:

Yup. There’s two in the Imperial Fists Primaris Upgrade set.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/04/visit-your-local-warhammer-store/

So turns out GW has changed their mind and going to make the female Catachan Sergeant available to every single Warhammer store, and on the webstore later.

quote:

And don’t worry, you won’t need to rush down to your local Warhammer store on a given day, Sergeant Jackson will be available for 9 days (including 2 weekends) – from the 12th to the 20th of September. What’s more, we’ll guarantee you one – if the store runs out of stock they’ll order one in, just for you.

Aaaand…. If you don’t live near a Warhammer store, we’ve still got you covered. Plans are afoot to get the Sergeant on games-workshop.com soon so that, no matter where you are in the world, you can snag one.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

RagnarokAngel posted:

I dont think media representation helps that if its not backed by genuine diverse view points first. Its a non issue regardless, GW might not be able to have an all or majority POC staff but to my knowledge zero of their regular authors are not British cishet males. They can get at least one and are actively choosing not to.

Rachel Harrison (Mark of Faith, Honourbound) is drat good.

Not enough, to be sure, but it's a start.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

On a page or two ago someone was talking about Legion of the Damned, I wish this was mine but haha no. Someone on reddit has been working on a :krad: LOTD army and since it was discussed here I thought I'd share it;

More of this painter's stuff: https://www.reddit.com/user/SPE825/submitted/

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Yup. There’s two in the Imperial Fists Primaris Upgrade set.

Cheers. I have two upgrade sets sitting here staring at me already, they finally became available again in the new packaging last weekend.

BTW, don't know if anyone noticed/cared but basically all of the 40K easy to build kits have been deleted by the looks (on the UK site at least) except the blight hauler and pox walkers. I suspect the pox walkers will go too, as soon as there's another way to get them...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cessna posted:

Rachel Harrison (Mark of Faith, Honourbound) is drat good.

Not enough, to be sure, but it's a start.

They're releasing an AoS anthology where all the stories are by female authors.

And got more female author books in the pipeline as well.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A Bloody Rose book? Hell yes, I'm in.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Shallow posted:

Cheers. I have two upgrade sets sitting here staring at me already, they finally became available again in the new packaging last weekend.

BTW, don't know if anyone noticed/cared but basically all of the 40K easy to build kits have been deleted by the looks (on the UK site at least) except the blight hauler and pox walkers. I suspect the pox walkers will go too, as soon as there's another way to get them...

I can see Poxwalkers sticking around, since they Easy to Build Poxwalker box fulfills sort the same role as that lovely chaos cultists set CSM players have had to settle for since Dark Vengeance disappeared.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/04/visit-your-local-warhammer-store/

So turns out GW has changed their mind and going to make the female Catachan Sergeant available to every single Warhammer store, and on the webstore later.

You get one in a box and it costs a buncha money, fantastic

There's something off about this model though and I don't know what it is exactly. Are her eyes too far up on her head?

edit: no I think it's the camera angle + color of the bandana throwing me off, I don't know if I'd paint that in the standard catachan scheme tbh. Maybe less contrast with the gun?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 4, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just let me buy the primaris model for Ragnar Blackman's by itself, having it in a box set is annoying and expensive.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

There's something off about this model though and I don't know what it is exactly. Are her eyes too far up on her head?

edit: no I think it's the camera angle + color of the bandana throwing me off, I don't know if I'd paint that in the standard catachan scheme tbh. Maybe less contrast with the gun?

I think her brow is a bit off, and the super plucked eyebrows effect also looks weird. Don't know why they went with that as I'm sure it's more difficult to do them that thin.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Z the IVth posted:

I think her brow is a bit off, and the super plucked eyebrows effect also looks weird. Don't know why they went with that as I'm sure it's more difficult to do them that thin.

Ohhhh god yeah, that's exactly what it is. The width of the line on her eyebrow is as the same as the outline on her eyes.

The effect makes it look like this guard sharpies on her eyebrows

Tip of the hat to that absolute brush surgeon tho

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did GW give a price for the lady Catachan figure?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mirthless posted:

It's something about the (lack of) cheeks for me. There's a slab of unbroken, flat flesh from her jawline to just below her eyes. I don't know anyone with a face that smooth. Maybe it's just a bad picture.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sab669 posted:

On a page or two ago someone was talking about Legion of the Damned, I wish this was mine but haha no. Someone on reddit has been working on a :krad: LOTD army and since it was discussed here I thought I'd share it;

Excuse me while I go smash my pathetic attempt with a hammer.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mirthless posted:

Vasquez has a darker skin tone

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

DandyLion posted:

Vasquez has a darker skin tone

In case anyone wasn't aware, the actress playing Vasquez most certainly did not.

It would be nice to see more Hispanic skin tones and named characters, but 'Ripper' Jackson does not appear to be one.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like all women, female space marines will be subject to a litany of goons arguing if their eyebrows are appropriate or they have good facial bone structure

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Re-release the Carl Weathers you cowards.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sab669 posted:

I think this is their insta (or a dirty rotten thief, but probably them):
https://instagram.com/knoxminis?igshid=4a7sd8ic6kjk

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baku posted:

like all women, female space marines will be subject to a litany of goons arguing if their eyebrows are appropriate or they have good facial bone structure

I think it's relevant if the head in question looks like someone wearing a pantyhose with a face drawn on top.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Seems kinda relevant to the conversation, I found some catachans while clearing out some old stuff and decided to repaint one or 2 for terrain corpses/practice.

My first time trying to do eyes with a micron pen, pretty happy with this side. Of course it ends up hidden when stuck to the terrain.

Anyway mfw someone criticises catachan sculpts:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
When doing eyes don't do a dot. I know our irises are circles but instead draw a line connecting the top to the bottom, it stops the wide eyed look.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Catachans and Goliaths actually benefit from dot eyes, as shown in these miniatures below:

It makes the muscles look bigger or something.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

moths posted:

Catachans and Goliaths actually benefit from dot eyes, as shown in these miniatures below:

It makes the muscles look bigger or something.

lol

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Generally people look like they're freaking out if you can see any of the white of their eyes above the iris. Below is fine.

(Those wrestlers know exactly what they're doing, I'm sure of it.)

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Kitchner posted:

When doing eyes don't do a dot. I know our irises are circles but instead draw a line connecting the top to the bottom, it stops the wide eyed look.

I'll definitely give this a go, I have like 40 of the fugly little guys to play with.

moths posted:

Catachans and Goliaths actually benefit from dot eyes, as shown in these miniatures below: .

Love this.

It was actually since I knew this guy was going to be a corpse I picked out the most bugged out eye sculpt I could find. It's a shame you can't see it really in its final position as a piece of ~environmental storytelling~

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Xpost:

I decided to experiment with plasma glow:

Looking at these pictures made me realize I need to go back and fix some things, but this was a lot of fun to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

It was actually since I knew this guy was going to be a corpse I picked out the most bugged out eye sculpt I could find. It's a shame you can't see it really in its final position as a piece of ~environmental storytelling~

That scenery piece is great