Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Alixzandrya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Bentley Bourgois, HVAC repairman

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
last name: goodenough

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

DemonDarkhorse posted:

I like to think that this was because a guy was sick of trying to explain how to spell Knežević or whatever to an immigration officer.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

DemonDarkhorse posted:

My high school's star running back was named Goodenough. The PA loved to yell "That's Goodenough... Good enough for a first down!"

I thought it was kind of clever but he hated it.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
shronda
shelbra
sincere silk
bethshabe-idk if this one is a misspelling of bathsheba or what
gethsemane-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gethsemane
cleopatric
kalibur
phoenix knight and his sister heaven leeangle, which i hope to god is a typo and its supposed to be angel. not that that would make it better, but...
kestrel, which i actually kind of like

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DemonDarkhorse posted:

phoenix knight and his sister heaven leeangle, which i hope to god is a typo and its supposed to be angel. not that that would make it better, but...

Cleopatric is amazing.

I want Heaven Leeangle's brother to be Noneucli Deanangle. :cthulhu:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

DemonDarkhorse posted:

shronda
shelbra
sincere silk
bethshabe-idk if this one is a misspelling of bathsheba or what
gethsemane-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gethsemane
cleopatric
kalibur
kestrel, which i actually kind of like

Kestrel is just a type of bird. They can be Kes for short, and then it gets really depressing.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I went to school with a girl called Kes. I don't think the movie was big enough in Australia for people my age to know the reference.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's the reference?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lady Disdain posted:

I went to school with a girl called Kes. I don't think the movie was big enough in Australia for people my age to know the reference.

All I can think of the creepy not-really-but-kind-of child bride of Neelix from Star Trek: Voyager.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

All I can think of the creepy not-really-but-kind-of child bride of Neelix from Star Trek: Voyager.

Sir/Madam, this is the PYF terrible names thread.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's the reference?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0064541/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is the first time I've ever heard of that movie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

This is the first time I've ever heard of that movie.

Yeah it's like, if I say "no-one is going to associate someone called Kes with a kids' movie", it's not exactly a lie. Like "Bim Blackear" was rather well-knwon 40 000* years ago but the average person, when confronted with someone called Bim, would think "oh that's a stupid loving name lol" not "oh yeah, like the dog!"

*) I checked, more like 40 years ago.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I think Kes is still pretty well-known in the UK. It's the UK's answer to Old Yeller, and Stormboy; a lot of people have probably never seen it, but still know how it ends.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

I think Kes is still pretty well-known in the UK. It's the UK's answer to Old Yeller, and Stormboy; a lot of people have probably never seen it, but still know how it ends.

Admittedly it's a quarter of a century since I did it, but Kestrel for a Knave was on the GCSE literature approved list, so there's a fair number of people who'll have read the book as schoolwork

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1293889223146319872/photo/1

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

This problem can be solved by never visiting the UK, post-Brexit there probably won't be much reason to go there anyway

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This can only be a troll because nobody likes that character

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

I'm naming my son Jar Jar Binks and I won't let your narrow-minded traditionalism stop me

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Don't talk to me or my sons Luuke, Luuuke and Bigger Luke ever again.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Barudak posted:

At least Rey and Ren can pass under the radar if you don’t volunteer that they’re not short for anything. Not that I didn’t TRY to convince my friend to make Ren short for something...

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
"My wife and I are a fan of strong female characters, which is why we're naming our daughter after the token female villain."

I'm still salty that they played up Phasma and then did squat with her.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Sep 3, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

hyperhazard posted:

"My wife and I are a fan of strong female characters, which is why we're naming our daughter after the token female villain."

SERIOUSLY why the gently caress like WHY DID YOU WASTE GWENDOLINE CHRISTIE AND HER SUMPTUOUS HECTARES OF LEGS on NOTHING?!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You know how the S in Harry S Truman isn't short for anything? I have a student here whose first name is just D. He has two "real" middle names, but his first name is just the letter D and that is not short for anything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's Daffy Duck's middle name in English? I know in Finnish the middle initial is S, for Uolevi.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

You know how the S in Harry S Truman isn't short for anything? I have a student here whose first name is just D. He has two "real" middle names, but his first name is just the letter D and that is not short for anything.

Is... he a vampire hunter?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

hyperhazard posted:

Another victim of the Star Wars curse of "looks awesome but gets gently caress all to do and dies stupidly".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

lord funk posted:

Is... he a vampire hunter?

You just reminded me that an old friend of mine named his baby brother after an anime character ( his mother had asked him to come up with a name) , so maybe that's exactly what happened here.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

Another victim of the Star Wars curse of "looks awesome but gets gently caress all to do and dies stupidly".
Hasn't it been pretty explicitly stated that they wanted her to be a Boba Fett-type figure? True to form then that she got a cool design but died like a chump (and then gets used a whole lot in stories outside the movies.

E: also Boba Fett is a bad name.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's taken from a time George Lucas had to explain to a French guy named Bob what all these other people in the room saying "celebration" real loud were talking about, I don't see how it could possibly come off as weird.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

You just reminded me that an old friend of mine named his baby brother after an anime character ( his mother had asked him to come up with a name) , so maybe that's exactly what happened here.

What was the name?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Edward Elric of Full Metal Alchemist. Not the worst choice given the options.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Cervantes Grundy

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Nosferatu Zodd

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Peyt'n

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Windham L. Rotunda

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

Windham L. Rotunda

what about his son, Knash Sixx Rotunda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Not so much terrible as kind of badass, Shadrach Hammer