Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I believe the most important things are more notifications and being able to adjust which notifications appear. Like, I want notifications to appear as soon as I can choose a childhood education for any of my children, and I want to know if any of my extended family lacks a guardian when they have an education set. The stuff about educating children needs to be in the tutorial, with at least a general idea of how the system works. I also want notifications for when the elective succession for my secondary titles changes, I only get notifications for when my primary heir changes, but if I have multiple elective successions I need to know if my secondary title is no longer going to my heir because of the vote count changing too. And yes, the search filters need to save at least until you completely close the window, scrubbing a character because you found out they're related or won't make children shouldn't reset your filters.

MustardFacial posted:

Can anybody tell me why this is happening?

Definitely a bug of some sort, either it's not actually at Absolute Control, it's a tooltip error, or it's not working right due to some other factor.

Communist Thoughts posted:

anyone given any thoguhts to the best tenets and stuff when reforming?

i'm thinking carnal exultation, warmonger, islamic syncretism for my african religion with unrestricted inheritance and no penalty for adultery etc

are there any better ones for stability?

Seems like 90% of the crimes in my realm are related to children born out of wedlock or cheating spouses, so Polyamory might remove a lot of court drama.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Been loving around in Ireland and for some reason Connach just deletes any attempt to invade. I outnumber them three to one at least and five to one on the most recent, have roughly even relevant stats and it doesn't seem to be the terrain cause it happens regardless of where i fight their army. I've got the rest of the county but every time I send an army west it just meets the Connach force and goes 2500 v 700 to 0 v 650.

Check their court and vassals and see if they have a bunch of knights with high prowess. Also check to see if they have men at arm's. Cavalry does a ton of damage to levys if you don't have any counter to them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Integrate is working for my Kingdom of Ireland game, another 35 years or so before the King of Alba stops being on my case about the Isle of Mann

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm a duke in Byzantium and another one of the dukes owns a county in my dutchy. Why can't I go to war with him for it? If I get my priest to fake a claim I can go to war no problem. The Empire is at the lowest authority so I can't tell what is stopping me.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

omg Shyness is the worst

yeah lol my current rule has it and he has mental breakdowns when inviting new knights to join the army. can't even talk to his wife who hates him without stressing out.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you're in the 867 start I think you have to have a specific tech before you can push De Jure wars

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Decided to play Scotland in 1066 since that was labeled "Easy", but then Norway declares war on me and has 3 times the military strength. How am I supposed to defend against that?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are people generally playing the 1066 start or the uhhh 800-whatever start?

I like to play earlier to get the full timeline experience, but man some of the early years are a slog.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PunkBoy posted:

Decided to play Scotland in 1066 since that was labeled "Easy", but then Norway declares war on me and has 3 times the military strength. How am I supposed to defend against that?

Norway's at war with a lot of other dudes in 1066, so you won't have to handle them alone. You might also have some allies you can call in.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I like to play earlier to get the full timeline experience, but man some of the early years are a slog.

You can turn off the end year in CK3 so feel free to start in 1066 if that's your thing.

PunkBoy posted:

It's a good idea to establish alliances when you're just starting out, or embrace the vassal life.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
aw gently caress I just learned that CK3 has WASD camera movement, and that legit may push me over the edge to buy it

unbelievable they didn't add WASD camera options to CK2

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lmao my wife died and pushed me over the stress limit into a level 1 stress break, but im a lunatic soooo....

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

My ruler became a lunatic in her old age (likely caused by dabbling in alchemy, heavy metals are a bitch) and now she is constantly seeing ghosts of her dead friends and family which give free stress reductions.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm doing the early one as Ireland so that one day i'll look back on my tribal ancestors and laugh from my golden palace or whatever.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

In CK2 I always used the earliest start, but in CK3 I have given up doing anything in NW Europe in 867 for the time being. When I've got more achievements I'll play it on easy and save scum, but in Ironman the endless combat in which you can never safely move away from your capital is too tedious.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Dumb question: how do I propose an alliance? I've only done it via hooks but I want to ally my spymaster so I can join him in his war which I don't want him to lose.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

One thing I find a bit contradictory is that a Temperate character can hold/attend feast after feast and acquire the Legendary Reveler trait, but any Reveler trait prevents you from taking the Embrace Celibacy decision. Imagine my surprise when I took a nearly-useless looking perk and imagined it was in fact completely worthless to me because I couldn't even use it! I understand Master Seducer blocking it, but Reveler seems out of place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

aw gently caress I just learned that CK3 has WASD camera movement, and that legit may push me over the edge to buy it

unbelievable they didn't add WASD camera options to CK2

Certain UI events bug it out though. I've had a number of occasions where something pops up and the A key no longer pans to the left. Mash escape a few times to clear everything on the screen and it works again. :iiam:

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah lol my current rule has it and he has mental breakdowns when inviting new knights to join the army. can't even talk to his wife who hates him without stressing out.

I lucked out with shyness. My Swedish tribal ruler had that and sadist. Always had a prison full of people I could execute to relieve my stress and get a piety bump.

“It’s been... nice... talking to you. Now If you’ll excuse me, I need to burn a Catholic at the stake. For Odin. No other reason.”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh there are additional map modes. The Terrain one is useful for planning out your Men-at-Arms!!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Magil Zeal posted:

Definitely a bug of some sort, either it's not actually at Absolute Control, it's a tooltip error, or it's not working right due to some other factor.

hmm I might try restarting this campaign.

Also I de jure claimed the territory of desmond, and the duke is a way way better counsellor than the previous guy (mayor of innis?) so I shitcanned the previous guy and put the duke in charge. Now the old guy likes me a -50 and is demanding his seat back because he is a powerful vassal. Do I have to do something about him? Or can I just tell him to gently caress off? He is poo poo at everything, I don't want to give him a position. I currently have a scheme to sway him running so we'll see how well that does. I'm just really hard up for money (because of that control thing is showing up in a couple of places) and prestige (I spent a bunch getting people married off, and then another 100 for the de jure war and now I have like 3 left) so I don't have a lot to play with in terms of stripping titles or modifying contracts. And I can't figure out how to get my spymaster to discover secrets inside my own territory.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol I saw similar posts here but decided to marry a daughter to king harolds youngest son like an idiot. Called into two wars immediately. I’m still trying to make this kingdom!! Ran around with my 1600 troops for a while and headed back home lol

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
If I accidentally closed a call to war pop-up by looking at the war target character and such but didn't decline or accept how do I get it to show up again?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

It's not possible to appease all of your vassals with council seats, so let the mayor stay angry. He might plot against you but he can't raise an army like an angry duke could.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

insider posted:

If I accidentally closed a call to war pop-up by looking at the war target character and such but didn't decline or accept how do I get it to show up again?

You can Offer to Join War from the diplo menu

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Whichever poster recommended getting some cavalry for pursuit was definitely on the money. Even just adding a single size 1 group of light horsemen makes for a very noticeable change. It seems that more often than not victories result in full-blown stack-wipes for the enemy.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Been loving around in Ireland and for some reason Connach just deletes any attempt to invade. I outnumber them three to one at least and five to one on the most recent, have roughly even relevant stats and it doesn't seem to be the terrain cause it happens regardless of where i fight their army. I've got the rest of the county but every time I send an army west it just meets the Connach force and goes 2500 v 700 to 0 v 650.

When you give your army an order to move to the enemy's army there should pop up an icon that gives an (unreliable) estimate of you odds. If you hover over it'll tell you the factors like "you have more numbers" or "they have better knights" and so on. That should give you a starting point at least to figure out what the deal is. You should also go to your enemy's character screen and hover over their levies to see how many and what kinds of men at arms they have, that can make a huge difference.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's somewhat likely I'm going to die with some big coffers of gold. Will my heir get the money? Will it be split among my heirs? Can I just, like, give him a load of money before I die?

I'm 99% sure all your gold always gets inherited by the player heir.

luxury handset posted:

iirc great pox is not syphilis, but something else

Great pox is an olde timey name for syphilis. And the way its portrayed in Crusader Kings is pretty unmistakable.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get more levies per month

My Martial perks are almost maxed out, just missing 4 in strategist.

After a few months this will go down to 0 again until I conquer something, then it spikes up to 50-110, and then slowly dwindles back down. Is there just a set limit so once I have the levies from each realm I just don't get any more? Is it impossible for me to get all the way up to 6k levies?

I made the mistake of giving 5 titles to republic vassals which don't contribute as much, but feudal realm size is 19, Theocratic 2 and Tribal 6

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So the Raise All Armies button will include levies that I am owed from my vassals, right? They just muster into the blob without any extra step?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So the Raise All Armies button will include levies that I am owed from my vassals, right? They just muster into the blob without any extra step?

Yes. And lemme tell you it's very noticeable once you have Absolute Crown Authority. There's a reason there's a -30 opinion penalty on that option, it's super strong.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Man my game crashes a lot and it's a total loving bummer I can't save without quitting in Iron Man mode. I just won a war and like half my knights ripped some dude's head off and then the game crashed and I reloaded right before the battle and no heads were ripped off and one of my champions was wounded AND I got an event of my ruler getting sick. It's like the game is reverse save scumming me and also it's complete bullshit and I think I need a break.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

ultrachrist posted:

Dumb question: how do I propose an alliance? I've only done it via hooks but I want to ally my spymaster so I can join him in his war which I don't want him to lose.

Marry into his family, or you can unlock a perk in the diplomat lifestyle to propose alliances to people even without marriage. However, if your spymaster (or anyone, really) is getting ganked you can offer to join his war via the diplo menu even without any alliance.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of which, how the hell do I change lifestyle?

You’re on a timer (2 years?), once it passes you can change to another lifestyle by pressing the same button and choosing another bonus, which doesn’t have to be another in the same tree. There is a circle filling around the lifestyle button, but I’m not sure if that’s the timer or the XP bar.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way I can change the Dynasty Head inheritance?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PunkBoy posted:

what do they want? losing a war in this game is not the end of everything, if they just want a county or something give it to them

otherwise, try to bait them onto good defensive terrain and pray your knights and men at arms are better than theirs. also make some allies and call them in

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yep, this is way loving better than it was in ck2

if you click specific counties while in military tab i think you can raise just particular levies

Gobblecoque posted:

Great pox is an olde timey name for syphilis. And the way its portrayed in Crusader Kings is pretty unmistakable.

a lot of old timey names are not that definitive. iirc there's evidence that syphilis existed in europe before columbian exchange, anyway it's a matter of some historical debate. like it's possible that europe had baby syphilis and they picked up turbo syphilis in the americas, or that some kind of less dangerous syphilis was picked up by pre-columbian european interaction with natives (see vikings, basque). we just don't have a lot of evidence to say conclusively

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 4, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Anyone know if anyone is doing deep dives into the mechanics anywhere?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God there's too many naked people hanging out in India.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Still in tutorial and very close to uniting all of ireland, newbie questions:

Is there an option to quicksave?(if so what hotkey?)
How do I spend/use piety? I have almost 1k.
People mentioned you can get cash from your bishop? I cannot find the option

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

Marry into his family, or you can unlock a perk in the diplomat lifestyle to propose alliances to people even without marriage. However, if your spymaster (or anyone, really) is getting ganked you can offer to join his war via the diplo menu even without any alliance.

To add, it's a pretty good idea to keep an eye on your neighbor's ruler (or power vassals with lots of holding) especially if they are more powerful than you. On my Irish run I kept a close eye on England and kept betrothing my daughters to his sons, and my sons to his daughters. Together we crushed all opposition. Was kinda annoying constantly sending my army out to some godforsaken frozen waste of Sweden to support his wars, but I never felt threatened from the outside either

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Slider posted:

Still in tutorial and very close to uniting all of ireland, newbie questions:

Is there an option to quicksave?(if so what hotkey?)
How do I spend/use piety? I have almost 1k.
People mentioned you can get cash from your bishop? I cannot find the option

You can get cash from the Pope, it should be one of the options in your little suggestions list if you can do it. You can also find the Pope and right-click them to either ask for money in exchange for piety, or spend money to clear your crime/shunned traits (like Adulterer or Murderer) and gain a small amount of piety. Note that if the Pope doesn't like you he probably won't give you money and it may not appear in the suggestions list.

You can't directly ask for money from your realm priest/bishop, but if their opinion of you is positive you get a cut of the taxes they collect from the temple buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

luxury handset posted:

yep, this is way loving better than it was in ck2

if you click specific counties while in military tab i think you can raise just particular levies

Oh cool! And is there not a penalty for levying from a vassal too often then, or maybe that is something specific to tribal?

I'm on my heir from the Daura game I started and it seems kind of precarious having what nominally looks like a big kingdom but I only have a duchy and one of its counties under my control lol while all my vassals are only barely tolerating the situation and I can't improve it too much as a Shy Grey Eminence (ugh).

With this men-at-arms system it looks like I will have a minimum 1200 troops no matter what though? Still feel like I have a beefy enough army to keep expanding