Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm still not really sure what Tendi's personality is at this point, but I've settled into all the other characters. She just needs to get an A-story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

feedmyleg posted:

I'm still not really sure what Tendi's personality is at this point, but I've settled into all the other characters. She just needs to get an A-story.

She's super excited about everything, I guess?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Ascension episode helped flesh out her personality pretty well, I thought. I've definitely met a few people like her IRL - the whole "I'm obsessed with figuring out why this 1 person out of 1000 doesn't like me" thing.

e: VVVVVVV :emptyquote:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 4, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think all the exposition will come in time. How many characters were fully fleshed out by episode 5 of TNG or DS9 or most cartoons you’ve watched.

They’ll have hits and misses but I think they’re trending upward.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Zutaten posted:

Why is she always doing engineering things? Is she on her free time and just hanging out with Rutherford at work and just sort of idly helping out? Like, you're annoying your friend at their retail job and you just start stocking shelves?

They are playing pretty fast and loose with everything butttttttttttttt if Tendi is the science cadet maybe she does the software fixes while Rutherford does the hardware? And then does a double dib in medical when needed (which Rutherford turns out to be also great at if he had any bedside manner).

Bring on the freaky medical stuff already!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah she is in the science division which is a pretty broad classification I guess? Maybe she is just getting different assignments as needed to help her find a more permanent placement

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It seems like her main assignment is medical, but starfleet people are meant to be cross-discipline talented and maybe when they don't have a lot of medical stuff to do stuff to they're expected to help out elsewhere? Especially since the ship's main role is ops/engineering support.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 4, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Ascension episode helped flesh out her personality pretty well, I thought. I've definitely met a few people like her IRL - the whole "I'm obsessed with figuring out why this 1 person out of 1000 doesn't like me" thing.
Can't remember if it was in this or the other Trek thread, but the ascension episode made me think of Tendi as a space version of Phoebe from Friends. She seems nice and friendly, a bit ditzy, has her own unique perspective on everything... but if you piss her off in some way she will gradually make your life into a living hell - without even necessarily realising she's doing anything wrong until the train has flown off the tracks, in flames, into a canyon.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I just want to know how old Mariner is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’d be funny if they made that a running gag like Kenneth from 30 Rock

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Payndz posted:

Can't remember if it was in this or the other Trek thread, but the ascension episode made me think of Tendi as a space version of Phoebe from Friends. She seems nice and friendly, a bit ditzy, has her own unique perspective on everything... but if you piss her off in some way she will gradually make your life into a living hell - without even necessarily realising she's doing anything wrong until the train has flown off the tracks, in flames, into a canyon.

That's actually not a bad comparison tbh. It's less that she'll run the train off the rails if you piss her off, and more she'll derail the whole thing by sheer force of "I CAN FIX THIS"

Martytoof posted:

lol :yeah:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nullsmack posted:

I just want to know how old Mariner is.

The flashback to DS9 could have been as long ago as 2370, or ten years before LDS. It might have been later, but she was talking about Descent like it was recent gossip.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Enterprise gossip never gets old.

Mariner's still talking about the weirdo flower fetishists in rompers.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Just binged all the episodes of Lower Decks and it is actually good. Did not expect that. :shobon:

Needs more cat doc, though.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Yeah I was kinda down on it after the first ep but my wife enjoyed it, so we kept watching and now I'm hooked.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Martytoof posted:

I'm very on board with this. Show her randomly in a TNG season one uniform for another flashback. Hell, she was having a dream about Wrath of Khan, maybe put her on the Reliant or Enterprise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm very on board with this. Show her randomly in a TNG season one uniform for another flashback. Hell, she was having a dream about Wrath of Khan, maybe put her on the Reliant or Enterprise.

That doesn’t need to be an age thing, it could just as likely be a time travel thing. They’ve mentioned time travel, what, twice already? I think basically everyone in Starfleet is just time travelling non-stop.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I figure that Mariner is in her 30's, based off the references so far. The other crew members seem to be in their 20's. Descent took place only 11 years before this episode took place.

It seems like they were hearing about it around a year or two after it happened, since everyone was in First Contact uniforms. Unless Mariner was on a ship that was top of the line and was one of the first to try out the new uniforms.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Mariner said she was on Quitos when she made first contact with the Galardonians in the pilot 'one year ago'. And that she has served on five different ships. Unless she was transferred back to the Quitos (very possible), it was her immediately preceding posting.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tendi and Rutherford are really growing on me, still not sold on Boimler and Mariner

Their shared enthusiasm for random technical tidbits brings me much joy.

Mariner: Uh guys, it's basically like the same ship as the Cerritos.
Tendi: Bwa ha ha ha
Rutherford: Yeah right! Let's go look at that thermal mesh.
Tendi: I bet it's a double lattice.
Rutherford: Double Lattice!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Beckett_Mariner
Mariner has been on enterprise-d as a cadet in 48035.3 that is equal to ~2371 so she is at least 27

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The only thing I don't understand about Tendi is that she's in medical but constantly doing engineer stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Martytoof posted:

I think all the exposition will come in time. How many characters were fully fleshed out by episode 5 of TNG or DS9 or most cartoons you’ve watched.

If they had a character-focused episode which centred on one particular aspect of their personality then yeah, they probably would have fleshed that out and chucked in some exposition. So far there's been several LDS episodes centred around Mariner's disrespect for authority and Boimler's slavish devotion to authority and we got bupkis

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay first 5 episodes of DS9 (and to counter the 'they're full length' objection, lets just look at the A-plot):

"Emissary" - It's a pretty deep dive into Sisko, his trama, guilt and PTSD, and by the end has established why this character took a job in the rear end-end of nowhere and why they have a renewed sense of purpose.

"Past Prologue" - Kira episode. Emissary introduced her, now we get an episode delving into the contradictions between her past as a terrorist and her present/future as a member of the Bajoran government. Kira is established as the character who's personal struggle is a metaphor for the greater political liberation struggle and transformation that Bajor is going through.

"A Man Alone" - Odo was the grumpy policeman, now he's a social outcast and victim of racial prejudice (and we learn that he might have been 'fair' during the occupation but that meant enforcing Cardassian occupation law, which means his actions make him very unpopular today)

"Babel" - Okay as I recall this one doesn't really focus on one character, it's an ensemble teamwork story.

"Captive Pursuit" - O'brien is willing to break the rules to follow his conscience, and Sisko is willing to look the other way if he feels like it (ie. this isn't Picard).

Yeah it's a much bigger cast so there's more to play with, but they absolutely do not waste time retreading old ground in order to develop their characters.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 5, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How many episodes in Lower Decks S1 ?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mokotow posted:

How many episodes in Lower Decks S1 ?

10, iirc.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

All I want is more scenes of people having to specify the temperature of things to the replicator, even things that shouldnt need it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

That sucks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Prestige TV was one of the worst things to ever happen to genre TV, bring back 22 episode seasons!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ah, so when they said "Two seasons confirmed" what they really meant was "Two half seasons confirmed"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think a 22 episode animated season would probably have to be done in Asia in a glorified sweatshop. It's very Star Trek to put out 10 episodes produced in Toronto and insist that that's enough for everyone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I think a 22 episode animated season would probably have to be done in Asia in a glorified sweatshop. It's very Star Trek to put out 10 episodes produced in Toronto and insist that that's enough for everyone.

I mean The Simpsons and Futurama used to produce long seasons without resorting to Malaysian sweatshop animation, pretty sure the Family Guy shows still do?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

multijoe posted:

I mean The Simpsons and Futurama used to produce long seasons without resorting to Malaysian sweatshop animation, pretty sure the Family Guy shows still do?

They outsource to Korea, not Malaysia, and all 3 of those shows do/did it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rewatching and it’s so good.

Requesting emergency transport to platform.. Authorization uhh.. Mariner 8?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's a very deep cut if the failed code Mariner 8 refers to the failed Mars mission that ended up in the Atlantic.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Martytoof posted:

Rewatching and it’s so good.

Requesting emergency transport to platform.. Authorization uhh.. Mariner 8?

This should have had the ship computer respond, I miss hearing that voice.

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

All I want is more scenes of people having to specify the temperature of things to the replicator, even things that shouldnt need it.

Computer, colorful sand! Room temperature!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

In re-watching TNG as I watch Lower Decks, I get to catch some sorta-deep cuts I would have otherwise missed. For example, the opener for the show where they get flung into a black hole then escape?

It's how Season 3 of TNG opens.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
Treknology nerds Trekyards scored an interview with LDS showrunner Mike McMahan, asking a bunch of questions about the Cerritos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_EOXmo5m3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRm5uTzYIrc

I am duly impressed by and respect the guy's commitment to making LDS work within the context of Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CBS really hosed up by letting someone who cares about Star Trek near a Trek show.