Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!
I wish Eat out to Help out was still around. Make it reasonable to eat out in London!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
it is! lots of restaurants are continuing to offer it off their own (green)backs and deliveroo are giving a fiver off orders over £20

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

it is! lots of restaurants are continuing to offer it off their own (green)backs and deliveroo are giving a fiver off orders over £20

I've noticed deliveroo and ubereats have massively increased their delivery charges. £4.50 delivery on lots of outlets now. They are trying to push their subscription model.

I felt like I had to eat out during EOHO to get some of my tax pounds back ha.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NGC773 posted:

I've noticed deliveroo and ubereats have massively increased their delivery charges. £4.50 delivery on lots of outlets now. They are trying to push their subscription model.

Interestingly around my way they've dropped most of them to £2.

NGC773 posted:

I felt like I had to eat out during EOHO to get some of my tax pounds back ha.

Work as a government contractor for 7 years and you'll be in the black for life :)

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Work as a government contractor for 7 years and you'll be in the black for life :)

Yeah I could do with a 3 day a week, £90,000 pro rata contractor job!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NGC773 posted:

Yeah I could do with a 3 day a week, £90,000 pro rata contractor job!

5 day per week £120,000 pro rata but yes :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Lucky buggers, I'm a perm CS so have to deal with forever bad pay

(The non-cash benefits, especially work/life balance and disability support, make it super worth it)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

Lucky buggers, I'm a perm CS so have to deal with forever bad pay

(The non-cash benefits, especially work/life balance and disability support, make it super worth it)

To be fair I tried to go perm like 4 times and there was always something blocking it. The cash is traded off for no pension, no paid holidays or sick leave, no career progression, and being let go with a week's notice (in my case). The permies seemed to also have more support around setting up jobshares and part time.

As they saying goes, when civil servants get together they only talk about pensions, when contractors get together they only talk about tax.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jaded Burnout posted:

To be fair I tried to go perm like 4 times and there was always something blocking it. The cash is traded off for no pension, no paid holidays or sick leave, no career progression, and being let go with a week's notice (in my case). The permies seemed to also have more support around setting up jobshares and part time.

As they saying goes, when civil servants get together they only talk about pensions, when contractors get together they only talk about tax.

Yeah, I've done the contractor bit before (though not in the civil service) and the pay was nice but I've been very grateful for the support you've mentioned over the last couple of years. I've also seen the ruthless cutting of contractors you mentioned there - it's such a contrast to permies where it's near-impossible to lose the job once you've got it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, I've done the contractor bit before (though not in the civil service) and the pay was nice but I've been very grateful for the support you've mentioned over the last couple of years. I've also seen the ruthless cutting of contractors you mentioned there - it's such a contrast to permies where it's near-impossible to lose the job once you've got it.

Now I have a bit of a best-of-both in that I'm contracting for a US company at London contractor rates but they have an unlimited holiday/sick day policy. It is something of a relief.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

Theres a nice sweet spot of you get in at one of the "arms length" organisations/quangos where you can get market rate pay with reduced red tape compared to being a civil servant

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

An interesting week for me; Furlough is ending so the company is laying off 1/3 of it's workforce (i'm a 52yr old no frills basic worker bee). :grin:

I decided to take voluntary redundancy as work is "restructuring" afterwards, leading to fewer hours & pay which will reduce the redundancy package for further layoffs (1400 ppl when i started 19 years ago will now be 210 in a big empty factory).... i can see where it's going.

I can't see me getting anything other than 6 months JSA and then sweet f.a. till i die or hit 67 (hopefully not in that order).

With my age and very mild multiple sclerosis job prospects are :derp: in the current market.

Finance Bit: Own my home outright, no debt, residing in Northern Ireland (the UK bit) so cost of living ain't terrible.

Should have 100k in savings when i leave + another 65k if i cash in investments.

How long can i live on what i've got?

Thoughts?

edited for spelling

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 4, 2020

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

fluppet posted:

Theres a nice sweet spot of you get in at one of the "arms length" organisations/quangos where you can get market rate pay with reduced red tape compared to being a civil servant

how do you mean reduced red tape?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Just Another Lurker posted:

An interesting week for me; Furlough is ending so the company is laying off 1/3 of it's workforce (i'm a 52yr old no frills basic worker bee). :grin:

I decided to take voluntary redundancy as work is "restructuring" afterwards, leading to fewer hours & pay which will reduce the redundancy package for further layoffs (1400 ppl when i started 19 years ago will now be 210 in a big empty factory).... i can see where it's going.

I can't see me getting anything other than 6 months JSA and then sweet f.a. till i die or hit 67 (hopefully not in that order).

With my age and very mild multiple sclerosis job prospects are :derp: in the current market.

Finance Bit: Own my home outright, no debt, residing in Northern Ireland (the UK bit) so cost of living ain't terrible.

Should have 100k in savings when i leave + another 65k if i cash in investments.

Thoughts?

edited for spelling

Does that include your redundancy payment?

Also how much do you spend a month? Is it just you or do you support a family?

Really with the time horizons mentioned, assuming you have a decent enough pension when you hit 67 you need to make what you have last 15 years.

Can you live on ~ £800 a month? (That's the cash you stated divided by the 180 months before you hit retirement with an emergency fund of £18,000 (roof caves in or whatever). Are you then also in a safe place regarding your pension etc.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

how do you mean reduced red tape?

Because civil service jobs are such a "job for life" type deal, the process of getting hired on is very formalised and excruciating. Like it takes months, even if you already have security clearance.

I'm assuming an ALB will hire like normal people, so you're probably looking at 2 to 3 weeks of paperwork like with contracting.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Does that include your redundancy payment?

Also how much do you spend a month? Is it just you or do you support a family?

Really with the time horizons mentioned, assuming you have a decent enough pension when you hit 67 you need to make what you have last 15 years.

Can you live on ~ £800 a month? (That's the cash you stated divided by the 180 months before you hit retirement with an emergency fund of £18,000 (roof caves in or whatever). Are you then also in a safe place regarding your pension etc.

That includes the redundancy payment, no family or dependents to support but only a state pension(that bit WILL be fun, assuming obesity don't get me first).

Went through all that i spend money on over a year and came up with £6500 (£540 a month, yes i have no life) once i stripped my spending down to a livable amount (no more Amazon Prime, booze & computer stuff for me i guess).

Slept on it overnight and hopefully brought a bit more rational thought on my situation; get my 6 months JSA (free time to start loosing that weight) and then throw my name into a recruitment agency grinder and see if i can get a small part time job to keep going and hold onto what i can for retirement.

Does that sound a bit more sane?

Appreciate the reply. :-)

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Some kind of part time Job would probably make it much easier for you. I assume you've got your 35 years of NI contributions under your belt already. State pension comes in at about £750 a month iirc.

If I were in your situation I'd want as much of that money you'd saved to support me through retirement (which could last a long time) where I 100% can't and 100% wouldn't want to work. Right now, as you say you're still able to work and its not terrible.

A part time job makes your maths a lot easier.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
a recruitment agency is unlikely to get you a part time job at the moment. could you turn your computer skills into a job?

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

Thoughts?

edited for spelling

Check this out because I am not 100% sure but I don't think you can claim JSA if you have sizeable cash/capital on hand

"You cannot get any of the means-tested benefits (income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Universal Credit) if your capital is above the upper limit of £16,000."

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also JSA is dogshit amounts and you need to be actively seeking employment anyway.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Jsa just about covers the cost of travelling to the job centre

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

a recruitment agency is unlikely to get you a part time job at the moment. could you turn your computer skills into a job?

Truth on the agency prospects (numerous youngsters in the same boat) and really not sure on the computer front but will keep it in mind.

NGC773 posted:

Check this out because I am not 100% sure but I don't think you can claim JSA if you have sizeable cash/capital on hand

"You cannot get any of the means-tested benefits (income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Universal Credit) if your capital is above the upper limit of £16,000."

I was aiming for Contribution-based/New-style Jobseeker’s Allowance as i read that savings do not affect it but that is does affect the Income Based JSA (£16,000 cap).

Think i still have to go to the Jobcentre to get Class 1 Credits for my National Insurance contributions to the State Pension.

Not been on the dole since the late 90's so this crap is a nasty reminder.

I checked out MoneySavingExpert and looked into doing online surveys (safely) for money.

Poor speech from my M.S. rules out voice related over the phone work.

All the helpful replies are getting me focused on what can & should be done. :-)

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Matched betting could net you a couple of hundred a month untill your accounts are restricted.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

ed balls balls man posted:

Matched betting could net you a couple of hundred a month untill your accounts are restricted.

I have always wanted to try this but I really don't like the idea of several bookies having my personal details. I have a friend who has registered account with 30+ bookies online but he has made 5k from it the last 12 months.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

NGC773 posted:

I have always wanted to try this but I really don't like the idea of several bookies having my personal details. I have a friend who has registered account with 30+ bookies online but he has made 5k from it the last 12 months.

Set specific things up for the account helps with the separation and also keep control of things. A new email address, PAYG SIM in another phone + separate bank account. Makes things marginally more effort in terms of moving money around and checking another email, but it definitely helps with the personal details bit. Then the only 'real' information that they have is your postal address + copy of your ID that you need to give them to prove who you are.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Thing is, as mentioned it's only good until they decide to restrict your accounts - it's not really a consistent source of income. I miss the days of absurd blackjack bonuses

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Sad Panda posted:

Set specific things up for the account helps with the separation and also keep control of things. A new email address, PAYG SIM in another phone + separate bank account. Makes things marginally more effort in terms of moving money around and checking another email, but it definitely helps with the personal details bit. Then the only 'real' information that they have is your postal address + copy of your ID that you need to give them to prove who you are.

So it's worth noting that they take the postal address and ID to perform KYC in line with various pieces of legislation, which are either aligned or the same as those that the banks have to comply with. The documents you provide are sufficient to run a full credit check to verify your identity, which lets them know a fair bit more about you.

Because the funds will be held in a client account at the bookies bank they'll also have an agreement in place saying that they'll provide any information required at the request of the bank or law enforcement.

I don't say any of this to put you off matched betting - I did it myself for a while back when it was more profitable. My point is simply that when you register an account with a bookie they know who you are and they know everywhere you bank. None of this should be a concern if you're just doing some matched betting yourself, but if you get into things like registering multiple accounts in friends and families names you're opening yourself up to some potentially very serious consequences.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Soylent Green posted:

So it's worth noting that they take the postal address and ID to perform KYC in line with various pieces of legislation, which are either aligned or the same as those that the banks have to comply with. The documents you provide are sufficient to run a full credit check to verify your identity, which lets them know a fair bit more about you.

Because the funds will be held in a client account at the bookies bank they'll also have an agreement in place saying that they'll provide any information required at the request of the bank or law enforcement.

I don't say any of this to put you off matched betting - I did it myself for a while back when it was more profitable. My point is simply that when you register an account with a bookie they know who you are and they know everywhere you bank. None of this should be a concern if you're just doing some matched betting yourself, but if you get into things like registering multiple accounts in friends and families names you're opening yourself up to some potentially very serious consequences.

Definitely. They can still find out lots about you, but that level of segregation is useful to keep your main accounts disconnected. Much easier to track profit when you have a separate betting account. Same with all the emails and SMS they send. You still have to meet KYC guidelines, but that doesn't involve them ever having to use my regular email or spamming my normal phone number.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Is there anyway to do matched betting in physical bookies? There is a street with about 8 different bookmakers on that is close to me.

I wonder if I could check odds online then go make the bets in person in the stores. Maybe odds won't be as good?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

NGC773 posted:

Is there anyway to do matched betting in physical bookies? There is a street with about 8 different bookmakers on that is close to me.

I wonder if I could check odds online then go make the bets in person in the stores. Maybe odds won't be as good?

No, cause physical bookies aren't going to offer you bonuses, decent odds or a way to easily lay off a bet (obviously you could do a double chance in sports with draws but they're not always offered in online bookies let alone offline)

Physical bookies pretty much only exist to launder drug money through the roulette machines and take thousands off a few whales.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I have gone from a job where I was paid pretty much the same on a monthly basis to a job where I'm on a zero hour contract so am paid different amounts weekly. I've found it harder to budget this way, anyone have any advice on how better to budget in this situation?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

bessantj posted:

I have gone from a job where I was paid pretty much the same on a monthly basis to a job where I'm on a zero hour contract so am paid different amounts weekly. I've found it harder to budget this way, anyone have any advice on how better to budget in this situation?

When I was in that situation this is what I did:

Total bills, plus wiggle room, divided by 4.
Weekly wage paid into principle bills account.
Moved any extra from (weekly wage - bills portion) to a separate spends account to play with.

It only really works if you have a buffer for the first month or two.

Alternative is no-spend until you have been paid as many pay packets as covers your bills in full, then spend the rest. But I don't do well with feast or famine

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

No, cause physical bookies aren't going to offer you bonuses, decent odds or a way to easily lay off a bet (obviously you could do a double chance in sports with draws but they're not always offered in online bookies let alone offline)

Physical bookies pretty much only exist to launder drug money through the roulette machines and take thousands off a few whales.

Ah yeah, thanks. I completely forgot that the bonuses are the core of making money with matched betting.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

NGC773 posted:

Ah yeah, thanks. I completely forgot that the bonuses are the core of making money with matched betting.

Some offers are offered in shop. I've not done much betting for about a year, but for example BetFred would have boosted odds that were the same in shop and online. You could put 100 quid max on an account. You could do the same in each branch. That offer might say have profit of a tenner. Could run round every local Fred, put the bet on (go into bank to allow you to take out more than 250 quid in a day from the cash machines) and then if it comes in go and collect winnings. For example I went round and put 100 quid on some Champions League double a couple of years ago at 6 different BetFreds.

There are also things called sharbs (shop arbs) but they're less frequent and, unless you're in a dedicated group, tedious to find

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sloth Life posted:

When I was in that situation this is what I did:

Total bills, plus wiggle room, divided by 4.
Weekly wage paid into principle bills account.
Moved any extra from (weekly wage - bills portion) to a separate spends account to play with.

It only really works if you have a buffer for the first month or two.

Alternative is no-spend until you have been paid as many pay packets as covers your bills in full, then spend the rest. But I don't do well with feast or famine

Total bills + wiggle room / 4 sounds like a very good idea.

I do have a £1,000 reserve that I've managed to accumulate. It's not much but has been helpful while I've been adjusting.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gonna flex every month

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Ahh I didn't know this thread was a thing, handy cos while I enjoy UKPersonalFinance, I don't go on reddit much anymore.

Doccykins posted:

Plan 2 - Started your course after 1st September 2012 and studied in England or Wales
From the April after you graduated or left your course you will pay back 9% of any pre-tax income over £26,575 (for FY 20/21) These loans are historically the more usurious ones that currently charge interest at 3% PLUS RPI inflation (currently 2.4%) for a total of 5.4%. This year (2020/21) if you earn less than £47,835 the interest rate is somewhat relaxed depending on your actual income, down to an inflation only rate if you earn less than the £26,575 repayment trigger. So
  • If you earn LESS than £26,575 don't worry about repayment, it'll be 2.4% and you won't repay anything until you start earning above the threshold
  • If you earn between £26,575 and £47,835 check the student loans repayment site and see how far on the sliding scale you are being stung for. If the repayment interest is above 4% AND you have no other debt over 4% AND you can afford it then it's better to start paying down at a more aggressive rate
  • If you earn MORE than £47,835 you're being hit for the full 5.4% rate so it's more beneficial to pay this off as a high priority debt.
Plan 2 loans are forgiven after 30 years from the April you graduated or left your course, so don't worry too much about them if you're earning below the full rate threshold.

So looking for some advice on this point.

Some background.

I have an emergency fund for 10 months of expenses.
I have a Vanguard account with already a pretty nice pot in it.
I have a pension which contributions are 14% total of salary each month.
I have no debts EXCEPT for a mortgage which is currently 1.4%.

My salary is currently below the £47,835 threshold and the student loan site claims my current interest is 2.6%.
However I would expect to go into that top thresh-hold of 5.6% within the next 5 years or so.

I'm currently sat with excess money in my account each month as I just don't have many outgoings.
Would it be best to either

Increase Pension contributions
Increase Vanguard contributions
Increase mortgage repayments
Start doing direct repayments to the student debt.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Pensions for the tax relief should always be the default choice for cash you don't need access to.

If your employer won't match additional contributions, consider doing it with a provider of your choice. Outside of investment companies I've yet to see an employer pension scheme that isn't invested in absolute brazen gouging trash like a loving 60% equity tracker fund taking a 1% AMC.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Theophany posted:

Pensions for the tax relief should always be the default choice for cash you don't need access to.

If your employer won't match additional contributions, consider doing it with a provider of your choice. Outside of investment companies I've yet to see an employer pension scheme that isn't invested in absolute brazen gouging trash like a loving 60% equity tracker fund taking a 1% AMC.

I'm already way above what they match. And yes they use aviva which is pretty meh.
But wouldn't a 2nd pension mean contributions after tax? Or can you have more than one pension on your payslip and have both pretax?

Is the vanguard sipp goon recommended?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm already way above what they match. And yes they use aviva which is pretty meh.
But wouldn't a 2nd pension mean contributions after tax? Or can you have more than one pension on your payslip and have both pretax?

Is the vanguard sipp goon recommended?

No bud, as long as you're contributing within the lower of your annual earnings or £40k p/a you can still claim the relief. Usually 20% relief at source operated by the scheme and 20% on a self assessment return if you're a higher rate taxpayer. And don't worry about doing a self-assessment return, if you're on PAYE you literally only need to do the bits regarding the pension contributions as they have all the other info from the PAYE monthly returns they get from your employer.

Vanguard is a great choice if you care about costs, aren't fussed about beating the market and don't really give a monkeys about tracking what its doing whenever you're online, but want to see your investment increase in value in line with investment markets over the longer term. They also have an extremely keenly-priced SIPP for DIY investors. Personally and professionally I love my boy Terry Smith because for a 1% AMC he skullfucks tracker funds and market indices by just buying fundamentally good companies, but at the same time I am totally aware that these people can fall from grace and have seen it more times than I care to remember. That being said, he's been a total badass since the late 80s and his Wikipedia page and book 'Accounting for Loss' are both well worth a read from the perspective of an investor.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 16, 2020