Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

It blows my mind that more states haven’t done that yet. Especially loving California. What’s the hold up?

the consensus is that human contact tracers that just interview people and then call all the people they think could have been exposed are more effective than app-based tracing. you can tell this is going great because of the rampant unchecked spread of the virus through much of the south and midwest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

endlessmonotony posted:

Does it still keep recurring in 13.7?

gently caress forgot to check.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

My sister's considering switching to Samsung because of the recurring "other" bloat

endlessmonotony posted:

Does it still keep recurring in 13.7?

Hasn't it been a thing like forever?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

imagine if this was the update that fixed it though. wouldn’t that be something

speaking of weird storage usage, i first noticed this when i started using files.app last year and it's been going on ever since:

i've never been able to figure out why there is a multi-gigabyte discrepancy between the available storage reported by settings.app and files.app. how common is this?

e: lmbo this guy's ipad was also reporting ~5.5 GB free in files.app but settings shows ~40 GB free :eyepop:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/379425/different-free-storage-space-reported-in-the-files-app-and-in-settings-%E2%86%92-ipad-st

Weedle fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 2, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
They were doing some work on it in 13.6.1 according to the changelog.

So I'd expect it to be working in most cases in 13.7 if 13.6.1 didn't quite work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Will have to help her do a backup because of course she can't do the update with a filled up phone

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Weedle posted:

the consensus is that human contact tracers that just interview people and then call all the people they think could have been exposed are more effective than app-based tracing. you can tell this is going great because of the rampant unchecked spread of the virus through much of the south and midwest

the obvious problem is that america, like everything with this virus, is remarkably bad at human powered contact tracing

https://apple.news/ATM0PtUWXQoCKoNost3dKpw

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Rinkles posted:

Will have to help her do a backup because of course she can't do the update with a filled up phone

I thought they fixed this with the app offload stuff a few versions ago. But maybe not effective if the storage free space is what's buggered.

Sadly, doing a backup and restore would probably fix the issue anyway (temporarily), so you probably won't know of the upgrade has worked for a while.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Has an iOS ever gone to x.7 before? It seems like that's up there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

8, 11, and 12 all got to x.4, which were the previous highest.

That said, they've changed their update philosophy and leaving out features for point releases until they're ready, so we'll probably see more of this going forward.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m for it since these recent releases have been pretty loving buggy, especially at .0 ones.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sourdough posted:

Hasn't it been a thing like forever?

It has but 13.6 improved to the point I would say it's semi-fixed. My full-for-years ipad that had gotten almost unusable now has 4gb of space without me doing anything but updating.

But yeah it sucks that this is a problem I have been dealing with since like the 4S. Well until I got a phone that had more than double the space I needed and stopped caring, but I am not going to tell someone else they should spend an extra hundred to solve their problems (although I tell myself this all the time, probably why I am in inescapable debt).

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Rinkles posted:

You need to hook up to finder or itunes depending on mac or PC and Mac os version. Sync and update phone that way. You won't be able to backup phone and update wirelessly. 13.6.1 did fix issue for the most part but you have to be able to update to fix issue

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I just moved from an Android phone to an iPhone SE, basically because it was easier and I no longer have the energy to care about the philosophies of companies that don't give a poo poo either way. HOWEVER- I do need to get my whatsapp backup from Google Drive into my new iPhone. It looks like there's no easy way to do this, but if anyone will know, they'll be on our trusty, beloved, stalwart SA (may it respond to ping forever).

Anyone have experience with this?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

burnsep posted:

I just moved from an Android phone to an iPhone SE, basically because it was easier and I no longer have the energy to care about the philosophies of companies that don't give a poo poo either way. HOWEVER- I do need to get my whatsapp backup from Google Drive into my new iPhone. It looks like there's no easy way to do this, but if anyone will know, they'll be on our trusty, beloved, stalwart SA (may it respond to ping forever).

Anyone have experience with this?

Nope, the best you can do is saving the attachments via android file manager and message history in text format (that cannot be reimported) over whatsapp proper. Moving from android to iOS and losing all whatsapp history is what made me push for all my friends to move to other platforms(like telegram) where platform migration is not that disruptive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l61NE0eqkw

PUKE EMOJI

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the kind of public opinion swaying puff piece you generate when you feel the lawsuits and lawmakers closing in.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s a very cringe ad but isn’t Apple better about security than other tech companies?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s a very cringe ad but isn’t Apple better about security than other tech companies?

It’s pretty much the only major tech company that pays even a little lip service to privacy.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes it is, and yes they are.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's wrong with the ad? I kinda like it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All advertising sucks, but given that most people now believe that iPhone and Android devices are both about the same quality, it makes sense to promote something your competitor does the pure opposite of.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, I thought there were some good elements in there. I especially liked how the lady in the theater touched the next person to indicate that she was about to tell them the same thing, but they cut away and didn't actually show it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SeANMcBAY posted:

Barely if at all.

iCloud coming to mind as a massive example.

Apple's a big tech company, doing the same poo poo all big tech companies do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Barely if at all.

Apple isn't an advertising company while Google is. That's a pretty big fundamental difference that allows Apple to do certain things with their platform that Google would never do.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

endlessmonotony posted:

Barely if at all.

I don’t think the icloud breach was intentional. That’s different from companies selling your data for profit without your consent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Apple's got your back if you're not Uighur.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Nope, the best you can do is saving the attachments via android file manager and message history in text format (that cannot be reimported) over whatsapp proper. Moving from android to iOS and losing all whatsapp history is what made me push for all my friends to move to other platforms(like telegram) where platform migration is not that disruptive.

Well poo poo.

Thanks for removing the doubt, at least!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

They are, but they aren't invincible either.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/09/facebook-complains-apple-responds-ios-14s-big-privacy-change-gets-postponed/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Not iOS but my favourite Apple security blunder was when they wrote the actual password for APFS volumes into the password hint box.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

What, does no one remember the High Sierra root bug?

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/28/macos-high-sierra-bug-admin-access/

The root cause was pretty amusing ... if I recall, trying to log into root forced it to update the way it was storing the password for root to a more modern secure method, but it inadvertently enabled the account with the password you provided. This is because since it has no way of knowing what your actual password is, it relied on the hash check succeeding, which is where the bug was, they checked the return code (the check did succeed) but not the actual pass/fail (it succeeded checking, but the password was wrong).

found it: https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x24.html

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You guys seem to be conflating Privacy and Security

Apple is absolutely better than other tech companies when it comes to privacy.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Rinkles posted:

Apple's got your back if you're not Uighur.

srsly, apple only supports privacy when it's profitable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Has anyone seen anything on discounted iTunes cards ? Fall used to be when Costco would sell $200 iTunes gift cards for say, $180-185. Now Costco doesn’t even have it listed.

I don’t subscribe to a lot via Apple, but def enough where buying up front to get a discount was worth it.

Update: Starting tomorrow, for their Labor Day sale, Best Buy will be doing a free $10 BB gift card with $100 Apple gift card purchase.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/100-apple-gift-card/6406937.p?skuId=6406937

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mr. Fix It posted:

srsly, apple only supports privacy when it's profitable.

Sure but given their current approach is wildly profitable I don't see it being an issue in the foreseeable future.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

dissss posted:

Sure but given their current approach is wildly profitable I don't see it being an issue in the foreseeable future.

i envy you your optimism

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

i envy you your optimism

What's your alternative? Bitch and moan about how poo poo everything is?

I mean I get it, things suck. What do you expect from all this, here in this forum? Do you want us to agree and go "yeah, everything sucks. What's the point" as well?

Being nihilist must be exhausting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I buy iPhones because I just can't bring myself to buy a phone from an advertising company, sorry!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FCKGW posted:

I buy iPhones because I just can't bring myself to buy a phone from an advertising company, sorry!

:goonsay: https://searchads.apple.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Well of course they offer ads in the App Store and stuff, but unlike Alphabet the vast majority of their yearly revenue doesn't come from ads.

Proteus Jones posted:

What's your alternative? Bitch and moan about how poo poo everything is?

Well, yeah, why else would I buy an iPhone if I didn't want to bitch about Apple all the time?