Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Impermanent posted:

Imo never back a tabletop 4x. Those things are incredibly hard to get right

I think the computer game it is based on is actually pretty hit or miss as to if you will like it or not. I don't really know how to describe it, but it was hard for me to enjoy because it felt like you just kept expanding a similar blueprint/province arrangement to prop up your infrastructure to pop out just a few units. It felt really "tight", like constrained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Impermanent posted:

Imo never back a tabletop 4x. Those things are incredibly hard to get right
I've enjoyed my plays of March of the Ants but I wouldn't be shocked if that was the exception that proves the rule.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Just got my shipping notification for Aeon's End Outcasts :toot:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I have been exposed to a terrible idea.

Someone apparently decided to take advantage of the terrible reception of Shadowrun 6th Edition to try and kickstart their own cyberpunk fantasy RPG. Could be cool and good, but...

quote:

9 Attributes: Str, Dex, Con, Int, Will, Perc, Cha, Luck, Initiative.
9 Classes: Brawler, Covert, Exarch, Face, Gunhand, Hacker, Mage, Tech, Vex.
6 Races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Spriggan, Skorn, Minotaur.

Um.

quote:

Low Hit Points: Averaging 10-20 hp at 1st level, up to a max of 20-30 hp at 10th level (max level).
Defence is similar to AC, but starts lower and increases with level.
Armour is Damage Reduction (does not add to Defence). Generally 1-3 points, eg a Heavy Vest is Armour 2 and a Long Coat is Armour 3.

Oh.

quote:

Skills provide access to a level based Reroll Pool, smoothing the fickleness of d20 probability distribution.
Unique Features: Every 3rd level design your own PC ability in conjunction with your GM. Don't want to make your own? Choose from 35+ examples instead.

Oh no.

quote:

Core Mechanics
d20 base using a modified version of the Low Fantasy Gaming engine.
Roll Under for Attribute checks, including degrees of success (Great Success, Success, Failure, Terrible Failure).
Roll High for Attack & Damage, including Fumbles, Criticals and Nat 19 effects for different weapons and enemy attacks.
Anti Attrition Combat: Low hit points, limited armour, high damage weaponry, and Trauma tables (Bullet, Blade, Blunt, Blast, Toxin) make for fast, fierce combat.
Zero HP is Dangerous: PCs make a single Luck (Con) save to determine whether they are All Dead or Mostly Dead at zero hp. If they survive, roll on the Injuries & Setbacks table (anything from a minor scar, to damaged gear, to lost limbs).
Uncertain Recovery: After a combat, PCs may take a 1 hour Short Rest to attempt Willpower checks to recover expended class abilities, Reroll dice, or lost attribute points. Fail your Will checks? Better luck next time, crump.
Luck score replaces saving throws, and powers limited Major Exploits & Rescues, enabling improvised stunts and moments of greatness.

Why is it always a D&D heartbreaker. gently caress's sake people, play something else and stop cribbing from bad design.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That is an aggressively low target number given the large promises of art delivery. Wow. Super boring sounding though.

Also low fantasy is lame. High fantasy for life, extra high if possible.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

theironjef posted:

That is an aggressively low target number given the large promises of art delivery. Wow. Super boring sounding though.

I don't think the goal is that bad for the structure of the rewards. The print tier gets you printing at cost, which means backers have to cover the print cost and shipping later,which in turn means that every penny raised (after the KS cut) can go directly to the artists. So for Strike!, I had a low goal too, with the idea being that if I barely scraped by on the goal, there would be a very limited amount of high-quality art, and I could sprinkle in really quick and simple stuff my artist wife could whip up in no time (e.g. silhouettes of objects and animals) to make up for the lack, and then I could do all the layout and editing poo poo myself. And if I got a ton of money I could pay for all that and lots more. In the end I exceeded my goal by enough to pay for quite a bit of art and have a bit of money to pay myself.

But maybe I'm missing something? Are those artists listed super-expensive? I don't see any specific promises about the amount of art aside from "much more" - so presumably they could also have a plan for the barest bones version if they were to just scrape by at their goal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
3k seems pretty low to me for covers and interior art on a 300 page book that's showing color splash spreads and is using Known Name Artists, but I haven't run one of these from the inside. At least if they're actually paying the artists anything like a reasonable price.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My reference is that the full-colour interior art for Pigsmoke, using a professional artist who mostly does board games, set me back £2165. I'd already eaten the £525 for the cover out of profits from previous products. It's certainly possible to get quality art cheaper than that -- the woman doing the cover for TMINT has charged me $450 -- so I'd say a £3000 initial target isn't far out of whack.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

theironjef posted:

The height of a fantasy is defined by the value of Wizards divided by Fighters. Push it high enough, and it becomes obvious that fighters only exist to avoid dividing by zero.

It sucks to play the denominator in those games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

theironjef posted:

420 smoke pipeweed every day.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

moths posted:

The height of a fantasy is defined by the value of Wizards divided by Fighters. Push it high enough, and it becomes obvious that fighters only exist to avoid dividing by zero.

At a certain point (immediately in any game I'm running) the fighters just become magical fantasy fighters too.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

moths posted:

If you push it even higher, so that the fighters become indistinguishable from zero, they wrap around and become god-kings. This is how you get Exalted.

High fantasy forever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

potatocubed posted:

My reference is that the full-colour interior art for Pigsmoke, using a professional artist who mostly does board games, set me back £2165. I'd already eaten the £525 for the cover out of profits from previous products. It's certainly possible to get quality art cheaper than that -- the woman doing the cover for TMINT has charged me $450 -- so I'd say a £3000 initial target isn't far out of whack.

I think the bigger issue is that the initial ask is $3,000 period. That is, they're asking 3k to cover, ostensibly, all the costs of producing a 300 page RPG which includes, conservatively, art, layout, and also creator expenses i.e. "did you remember to get paid." They say "the text is mostly done and the layout is nearly complete" which means, I guess, that this guy is just putting this out there with the aim of recouping his expenses through sales which eeesh.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kai Tave posted:

this guy is just putting this out there with the aim of recouping his expenses through sales which eeesh.

Isn’t that how publishing usually works, outside of KS’s prefunding model? I think it’s how most make-and-sell professions work.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Paying artists is a stretch goal, duh

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
A writer can edit and layout their own stuff. It's obviously better if they get enough money in the KS to pay for that, but it's not strictly necessary. They need to raise the money to pay the artists, then they can do the rest themselves and deliver through Drivethru if they just barely make their goal. That was my plan! If Strike! had made exactly its minimum goal, I would have been able to pocket no money for all my effort, but I could have put it out in full color and with a decent amount of art.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

Isn’t that how publishing usually works, outside of KS’s prefunding model? I think it’s how most make-and-sell professions work.

I mean, part of using Kickstarter is supposed to be so you can avoid doing that, but also even in traditional publishing advances exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, part of using Kickstarter is supposed to be so you can avoid doing that, but also even in traditional publishing advances exist.

advances come out of the sales, no? if your sales don’t cover your costs, you’re going to owe your publisher the shortfall, AIUI. that’s why they’re advance payments and not bonus payments or signing bonuses.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

No, if you don't cover the advance then you just don't get any royalties. If you're an author and you're sending money to your publisher then you're almost certainly getting ripped off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, my misunderstanding then!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it's assumed eventually the books will sell.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Redundant posted:

I've enjoyed my plays of March of the Ants but I wouldn't be shocked if that was the exception that proves the rule.

that is my one exception too! that game owns. the expansions really do add, too. but it's because it focuses on being economical and trim. Computer game 4x's often have such baroque and sprawling arrays of options over relatively simple core mechanics and board games are basically served by going in the opposite direction.

When I get my copy of the 4x space game played I'll let you know if that one, also, is an exception. but Those have both been out for a while.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tokyo Series just posted samples of their fireburnt currency and it is v-sexy
https://i.imgur.com/dP8dP9b.mp4

Gladius also posted a production sample unboxing and it's a lovely little box indeed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtWaqbl1RT0

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Picked up my copies of On Tour and QE yesterday. Local pickup for a Kickstarter is a bit surreal.

Anyway...wow these boxes are HUGE. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Jordan Draper's design ethos. But it feels like there could have been some major space savings by not, for example, having the On Tour cards be so large.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Picked up my copies of On Tour and QE yesterday. Local pickup for a Kickstarter is a bit surreal.

Anyway...wow these boxes are HUGE. Maybe I've just been spoiled by Jordan Draper's design ethos. But it feels like there could have been some major space savings by not, for example, having the On Tour cards be so large.

On Tour is way too large, box-wise. And honestly I don’t find it that fun.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I haven't had time to even take my QE out of the bubble wrap yet

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I thought The Grim & Deliberate Beast (wrapped up by now) has some interesting ideas. Basically an effort to give monsters some uniqueness and purpose in RPGs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zombiecircusgoats/these-monsters-have-minds-of-their-own

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

I thought The Grim & Deliberate Beast (wrapped up by now) has some interesting ideas. Basically an effort to give monsters some uniqueness and purpose in RPGs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zombiecircusgoats/these-monsters-have-minds-of-their-own

Also did you check out the great jokes it comes with? 200 combat insults to hurl at your players! Let's look at the ones for dwarves!

#7, literally just a line ripped from Two Towers, is similar to the salted pork, in that it is particularly good. The elf ones are worse somehow, largely "dude looks like a lady" type bullshit.

In summation, the idea of an AI system for monsters is neat. But the execution and trappings for this take on it were warmed over poo poo. Should really just be a fairly straightforward app.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 7, 2020

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

quote isn't edit!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I got spam for that one a few hours before it ended. I wasn't impressed.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

theironjef posted:

Also did you check out the great jokes it comes with?

I sure didn't!

I'l'll be honest I mostly liked the concept and wanted to share, but the more I look the more the execution seems... spotty, at best.

For example, the bits that involve stacking modifiers I think are wrongheaded. The idea is to add quick fight flavor and variety easily, and having the GM generate & track MORE modifiers over what a GM normally does seems like absolutely the wrong direction to go.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
You can’t tell a good joke about Dwarves because it’s always punching down.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

You can’t tell a good joke about Dwarves because it’s always punching down.

No one would ever stoop so low.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Parselings just launched, an RPG about playing people bonded with alien word entities.

I'll admit, I only skimmed the description because it's gorgeous and I'm a sucker for art, but the concept seems pretty neat as well.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 8, 2020

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

My only real issue with it is the level of “oh god I can’t tell you how my game works or you’ll steal it” they’re at. They are running actual plays on Twitch today as a launch event. Im hoping that will clear up some of the vagueness around the mechanics.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

For a game about word magic, the writing on this Kickstarter page is less good than I'd have hoped.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
The BOLT RPG Kickstarter just funded. I checked it out because I saw some RPG people I follow tweet about it, but I gotta say it's not as streamlined as the copy would have you believe. First of all, the KS page tells you to check out the Itch page for the beta version of the game. The Itch page in question (that, again, is linked in the first few paragraphs of the KS!) is selling the beta PDF for 9,000.01 dollars - the actual way to see the beta PDF is to back the Kickstarter.

Anyway, I backed the game just to see the Beta PDF. If you're curious, it's just a remarkably self-aware heartbreaker (down to name-checking the System Mastery podcast in one section), but nothing special. Core mechanic is 1d10+bonuses with an extra 1d4 that procs bonuses or complications on a 4 or a 1. You have six core attributes - Strength+Con, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Willpower, and Charisma (they have different names but they map very closely to the D&D standard aside from Willpower, which is just for resisting stuff and also, for some reason, the Search skill). There are a shitload of skills, including separate "use your muscles to do stuff," running/jumping, and swimming skills. Every different "type" of thing has a separate Utilize skill (Aether, Electronics, Mechanics, Medicine, etc. are all separate).There are pages of feats, some of which are just stat bonuses, some of which are roleplaying permissions (membership in an organization, e.g.), and some of which are combat powers.

I guess I don't really know why I made this post, I was just annoyed about the mislead with the Itch page and the fact that all the pitch text talks about how quick and tense the game is when the actual content is an extremely bog-standard heartbreaker. Kudos to the author for getting their dream out there but man, just because you've clearly spent a long time reading about RPG design (another namecheck is for the "how do you punch someone in the face in your system" test) doesn't mean you can design an interesting RPG.

edit: immediately after posting I felt bad about making GBS threads on what's clearly a one-person dream project, so I'll say the game seems eminently playable and it makes a clear effort to be inclusive and welcoming, so it's automatically better than 90% of all Kickstarter heartbreakers.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

BinaryDoubts posted:

Anyway, I backed the game just to see the Beta PDF. If you're curious, it's just a remarkably self-aware heartbreaker (down to name-checking the System Mastery podcast in one section), but nothing special.

Well, I guess that was going to happen eventually.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I mean, I think there's a space in the market right now for a solid game that isn't D&D but can do D&D-like things, and is crunchier than Quest. Bolt could absolutely occupy that space.

I personally dislike it because I have an intense and irrational distaste for d4s, but that's not the designer's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I saw a d4 that was shaped like a d12 recently and I want to convert my dice bag over to those asap.