Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hahaha way too late buddy.

Has Texas just collectively forgeten about why we have burdensome testing mandates in the first place?

e: should it be considered a point of pride that I took the TAAS, TAKS, and STAAR?

TEAMS, TAAS, and ITBS for some reason. You young punk.

And the reason we have burdensome testing requirements is to make money for education consultants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, I don't inherently disagree with standardized tests. You want any kid in Texas to be given roughly the same quality education, or at the very least a certain benchmark of education, on the same material. You can't know that a school is producing kids who dont know basic math without testing for it.

Our test system is just garbage and always has been

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jiro posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/03/texas-greg-abbott-austin-police/

Was JUST going to post this. So it's more grandstanding then? Also the budget proposal from Manly seems like the most petty reactionary poo poo.

I really want to see the proposal, or better yet some actual analysis of it. If nothing else, Abbott is a do-nothing governor, I find it hard to believe this is anything more than an empty threat because he generally doesn't pursue major changes like this.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, I don't inherently disagree with standardized tests. You want any kid in Texas to be given roughly the same quality education, or at the very least a certain benchmark of education, on the same material. You can't know that a school is producing kids who dont know basic math without testing for it.

Our test system is just garbage and always has been

There’s a system where standardized testing is used for benchmarking and ensuring quality of education.

That system hasn’t exist in like 30 years.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god that Abbott tweet has some choice replies

https://mobile.twitter.com/maroubra228/status/1301655751451049984

https://mobile.twitter.com/realpecosbill/status/1301661858668126208

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You heard it here first, folks. Travis County is going to swing the election for Biden.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

inshallah

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
famously well-represented

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1301879912475824133

wow who knew dan patrick had an absolute dump truck rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mods

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Why does he look like over beaten dough shoved into an icing bag?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All hat and no cattle

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's an unfortunate body shape. I'd almost feel bad for him if he weren't Dan Patrick. But like, it's probably part of the reason he's such an awful person.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

The Austin Reddit looks like that too. I will never understand the level of irrational hatred for individuals who are homeless.

All that said, apparently that conspiracy to bring in homeless to rig the election has happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajneesh_movement

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cross posting from the Austin Thread:

Seriously gently caress WilCo cops and deputies.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200903/her-neighbors-called-for-help-when-deputies-came-they-attacked-abuse-victim

Austin American Statesman posted:

The young woman who answered her apartment door in an oversize AC/DC T-shirt had scratch marks on her neck.

But she insisted she was fine when a Williamson County sheriff’s deputy responded to the call of a concerned neighbor about possible domestic violence.

Her boyfriend was gone, she assured the deputy. She made clear she wanted nothing to do with police.

“I do not want to talk to you, especially Williamson County,” the 20-year-old said in body camera footage. “Y’all have a really bad reputation. I do not want to deal with you.”

Moments later, without provocation, deputy Lorenzo Hernandez grabbed the young woman. As she screamed, he threatened to use his Taser. He and two other deputies slammed her to the ground, handcuffing her while they searched her home.

The violent escalation of what should have been a routine law enforcement interaction is the latest in a string of aggressive encounters by Williamson County Sheriff’s deputies that have come to light amid ongoing investigation by the American-Statesman.

Other incidents recently exposed by the newspaper include the March 2019 Tasing death of Black father of two Javier Ambler during a traffic stop, and several, dangerous high-speed pursuits launched over minor traffic infractions.

The troubling pattern coincides with the agency’s 11-month partnership with A&E reality show “Live PD,” during which televisions crews filmed Williamson County deputies as they patrolled the streets, made arrests and interacted with the public. The show was canceled two days after the Statesman and KVUE-TV first reported details of Ambler’s death.

“Live PD” wasn’t filming the incident involving the domestic abuse victim, although Hernandez was one of the show’s stars. But it was captured from multiple angles on body camera footage recently obtained by the Statesman.

It also is one of five use-of-force cases currently under investigation by the Texas Rangers and local prosecutors.

The Sept. 21 incident is particularly troubling because it involved not a dangerous suspect, but an alleged victim accused of no crime, according to law enforcement experts who viewed the footage at the request of the Statesman.

Domestic violence advocates say they were horrified that the deputies also scolded the woman for what happened. That behavior, they said, only makes it harder to persuade victims to trust police enough to report abuse.

“Understand the circumstances y’all put yourselves in, and you make us have to deal with those issues,” Hernandez told the woman after deputies unlatched her handcuffs.

A former department sergeant told the Statesman that he flagged the case to supervisors but was initially treated adversarially.

In a statement this week, the department’s chief deputy said that Hernandez’s handling of the incident “was not in keeping with the high standards of the sheriff’s office.” Chody, who has praised Hernandez publicly, suspended him for a day after an internal affairs investigation of the incident.

Two months after the incident, he promoted Hernandez. Hernandez did not respond to an email seeking comment. The woman at the center of the case did not want to speak publicly, and the Statesman does not typically name domestic assault victims.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1301938549479145474?s=20

I don’t believe this but also, :eyepop:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Texas polls routinely over represent D performance compared to election day. Honestly, I'd not believe Biden would win here until a poll shows him at something like +7-8 and even then I'd figure it'd be a dead heat.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
900 posts behind so sorry if this is a repeat

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jiro posted:

Cross posting from the Austin Thread:

Seriously gently caress WilCo cops and deputies.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200903/her-neighbors-called-for-help-when-deputies-came-they-attacked-abuse-victim

Holy poo poo this is horrifying

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Repeat or not, as a lifelong Texan born in DFW and living in Houston with many, many trips to Austin and SA, it is 100% accurate every time it's posted.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

The Austin Reddit looks like that too. I will never understand the level of irrational hatred for individuals who are homeless.

All that said, apparently that conspiracy to bring in homeless to rig the election has happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajneesh_movement

By loving Republicans. So not at all what right wingers are complaining about.

The lesson I have learned from the last five years is that if the Republicans are complaining about a problem they either are doing it or caused it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Respond to a domestic abuse call, literally gets told that I'm afraid of y'all because you have a reputation of being violent.

Proves that fear 100% accurate by abusing said possible victim

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

that is pretty spot on

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I thought the whole point of Houston was that it was affordable to live there?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sardonik posted:

I thought the whole point of Houston was that it was affordable to live there?

Housing costs have skyrocketed here as you get closer to the urban core. 5 years ago it was pretty affordable, 10 years ago it was extremely affordable compared to almost every other major metro area.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SirKibbles posted:

Respond to a domestic abuse call, literally gets told that I'm afraid of y'all because you have a reputation of being violent.

Proves that fear 100% accurate by abusing said possible victim

Reminds me of when the Harris County DA decided to put a rape victim in jail to ensure she would testify.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's still not bad relatively, but on an absolute scale it is starting to get pricey in certain parts of the city.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Wasn't there an article by Texas Tribune or someone just last year about how ~20% of renters in Houston's city limit spend 50% of their take home pay on rent or something insanely depressing like that?

e: phone post, will research after work

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That really doesn't sound any different from any other major metro in the country. Late stage capitalism will devour us all.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Houston suburbs are affordable. Where white people live close to downtown is not. Gentrifying locations to the east of and north of downtown are for right now, but are quickly being built up for the influx of white people moving back in.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm not douchey

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Roumba posted:

Wasn't there an article by Texas Tribune or someone just last year about how ~20% of renters in Houston's city limit spend 50% of their take home pay on rent or something insanely depressing like that?

hahahaha god imagine how nice that would be. I pay 60% now and two years ago it was 75%

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
At least the hurricanes and climate change will reduce housing prices

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

my guess is that hurricanes and climate change will reduce a lot of supply long before they finally reduce demand

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shooting Blanks posted:

The worst part is the dumbfuck neighbor being all "She begged us not to call! :downs:" right before the cops slam her to the ground.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Roumba posted:

Man I'm in that 20% thanks to my salary being cut thanks to the oil industry making GBS threads itself. I'm also got double hosed because I signed a long lease on this apartment right before that happened, maybe triple hosed because the company I work for fired like 80% of its employees, sold off 70% of what was left and now is going to move somewhere else, which might be goddamn anywhere.

But yeah compared to even a few years ago apartment rents have gotten insane around here, seems that every apartment complex is getting torn down or renovated into "luxury" apartments (same apartment but lovely stone countertops and lovely vinyl fake wood flooring) and the price jacked up 50-100% more than what it used to be. I remember 10 years ago renting apartments for 500 a month that are now $1200 with no updates in that time.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Jesus christ. I hadn't heard much about oil layoffs since the initial market crash.

Were they some idiot refiner or well drilling outfit that was way over leveraged or what?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Numlock posted:

Man I'm in that 20% thanks to my salary being cut thanks to the oil industry making GBS threads itself. I'm also got double hosed because I signed a long lease on this apartment right before that happened, maybe triple hosed because the company I work for fired like 80% of its employees, sold off 70% of what was left and now is going to move somewhere else, which might be goddamn anywhere.

But yeah compared to even a few years ago apartment rents have gotten insane around here, seems that every apartment complex is getting torn down or renovated into "luxury" apartments (same apartment but lovely stone countertops and lovely vinyl fake wood flooring) and the price jacked up 50-100% more than what it used to be. I remember 10 years ago renting apartments for 500 a month that are now $1200 with no updates in that time.

There are still deals to be found if you start your search a little bit in advance and know what you're looking for. The giant complexes are awful, same for property management places but you can still do alright.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Houston's sprawled out so there's still a shitload of suburbs and east Houston is still affordable (provided you like cancer from all the refineries and superfund sites). But what most people like and know about Houston is within the Loop which is where all the gentrifying and increasing housing costs have been happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
The east side/eastern suburbs are kinda ghetto ~scary~ if you're the kind of guy who wants to run around in a new leased M3 and if you want to go anywhere you can't drink because it's a loving 30-45 minute drive back home.