Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Then I guess I've either been too dense to notice this or not played for too long, drat.

Probably both.

Now hop into multiplayer and get a passenger to ride along to add even more laser defenses! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Do we have any programming nerds here? My favorite calculator hasn't been updated since the switch from solid fuel to sulfur for chemical science. I've reached out to the author a few times but he doesn't seem all that interested in making the change.

https://github.com/barthuijgen/factorio-mods/tree/master/cost-calc

I liked this one because it plainly shows how much of each ingredient goes to the next intermediate, instead of say the kirk mcdonald one that has the spaghetti diagram. I find both versions of the "visualize" diagrams difficult to follow on screen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I took a look, but your stations are set up completely different than anything I ever did with LTN. My stations had a combinator that output a fixed value if a train was needed, and then the special red box had an output signal using a special LTN 'trains' signal.

So sorry, but I've got no idea how the setup you are using with requester and provider chest signals are showing, and you don't have any combinators at all. This is not the LTN I used to use!

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Settings -> Mod Settings -> Map tab -> LTN -> Untick schedule circuit conditions. Then send your test train to the depot again for it to reset it's current schedule. The problem is you have that box ticked which requires you to send specific color coded signals to the station to let the train move.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Joiny posted:

Settings -> Mod Settings -> Map tab -> LTN -> Untick schedule circuit conditions. Then send your test train to the depot again for it to reset it's current schedule. The problem is you have that box ticked which requires you to send specific color coded signals to the station to let the train move.

Yeah, working on that map is kind of a pain in the rear end. due to all the circuit condition stuff they've got going

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Majere posted:

Do we have any programming nerds here? My favorite calculator hasn't been updated since the switch from solid fuel to sulfur for chemical science. I've reached out to the author a few times but he doesn't seem all that interested in making the change.

I liked this one because it plainly shows how much of each ingredient goes to the next intermediate, instead of say the kirk mcdonald one that has the spaghetti diagram. I find both versions of the "visualize" diagrams difficult to follow on screen.

Unless there's some other magic it literally looks like a one line change
https://github.com/barthuijgen/factorio-mods/blob/master/cost-calc/src/data.json#L76
Just change that to "sulfur"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Majere posted:

I'd move to an ingame mod for that if I were you. They're more dynamic and will work with any modded items/machines. I use factory planner, it's good. You can have a whole list of separate planned factories (I do this midgame to plan out ratios and amount for different builds e.g. red circuits). Then later you can have a whole top-down plan that uses sciences and lists all the ingredients you'll need as well as machine count/beacons for each input etc.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Joiny posted:

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah, working on that map is kind of a pain in the rear end. due to all the circuit condition stuff they've got going

oh thanks, I figured it was something incredibly silly but it is especially silly that a default off setting defaults on on the demo map

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rescue Toaster posted:

https://github.com/barthuijgen/factorio-mods/blob/master/cost-calc/src/data.json#L76

Yeah I made a website back in 1998 with html in notepad. I have no idea how any of this stuff works anymore :D

Taffer posted:

I'd move to an ingame mod for that if I were you. They're more dynamic and will work with any modded items/machines. I use factory planner, it's good. You can have a whole list of separate planned factories (I do this midgame to plan out ratios and amount for different builds e.g. red circuits). Then later you can have a whole top-down plan that uses sciences and lists all the ingredients you'll need as well as machine count/beacons for each input etc.

I'll give this one a shot. Looks it supports mods like Factorio Extended Plus as well which is a plus for me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Majere posted:

Rescue Toaster posted:

I did this and made a fork.

https://github.com/ikanreed/factorio-mods I have not tested jack poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

After 500 hours, I finally fully embraced the spaghetti and launched my first rocket. :woop:

Now do I scale up even more or do a biter hell world?

Edit:

Oh God, what did I do?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 4, 2020

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

KillHour posted:

Oh God, what did I do?

Holy Moley! I'm currently doing a biter-free playthrough to get a non-spaghetti megabase going but uh... maybe after that playthrough I'll have to do one of these and see how many minutes (seconds) I last. Looks insane. Seeing something like that makes me want a guerilla warfare mod where you get early access to distractors and explosives and you spend the early game in a foxhole assembling the tools you needs to clear the camps one at a time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turns out I'm pretty sure that one is physically impossible because of the biters literally on the starting resources. I increased starting area just a smidge, but it's not much better, honestly.

I've had 2 attacks already that I held off with my pistol and I literally have to run coal down to a box by the water to power my lab.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You're researching automation instead of military so you probably already hosed up, sorry.

You can't afford to dick around on a death world. Suck it up and handcraft the beakers until you've got some breathing room.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jabor posted:

You're researching automation instead of military so you probably already hosed up, sorry.

You can't afford to dick around on a death world. Suck it up and handcraft the beakers until you've got some breathing room.

I already had military turrets and walls researched

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So... turns out evolution factor set to all max means you get medium biters ~20 minutes in. I don't think that map is actually playable on those settings.

Edit: If anyone is crazy enough to try:

code:
>>>eNpjZICDBnsgYc/BkpyfmAPhgUUcuJLzCwpSi3Tzi1KRhTmTi0pT
UnXzM1EVp+al5lbqJiUWAxUfcIDgBnuOzKL8PHQTWItL8vNQRUqKUlO
LESIN9tylRYl5maW56HoZGM8UJjxraJFjAOH/9QwK//+DMJD1ACgPwg
yMDSAPMTACxWCANTknMy2NgUHBEYidQIYxMjJWi6xzf1g1xZ4RokbPA
cp4ABU5kAQT8YQx/BxwSqnAGCZI5hiDwWckBsTSEqAVUFUcDggGRLIF
JMnIqOss8/qRmZQ9QlQHJsLIKALyJxOcmDUTBHbCvMKA5ASI1E17xrN
nQOCNPSMrSIcRiBDgAxIPljJCWQt6gISCDAPMaXYwY0QcGNPA4BvMJ4
9hjMv26P4ABoQNyHA5EHECRIAthLuMEcJ06HdgdJCHyUoilAD1GzEgu
yEF4cOTMGsPI9mP5hDMiED2B5qIigOWaOACWZgCJ14ww10DDM8L7DCe
w3wHRmYQA6TqC1AMwgMnU6hREFrAgRmR3Rg+2DMEr1P9DAD58JoM<<<

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 5, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The setting sliders allow you to create a scenario so difficult you’re essentially soft locked 20 minutes in.

We should probably compile a list of settings for achievable difficulty, because there’s Ironman xcom impossible and then there is actually impossible without cheats

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I tweaked them a bit more and found I was at a complete standstill where I needed to spend literally all my effort trying to keep enough ammo being produced to fend off the attackers. That's probably not technically impossible but certainly miserable so I brought everything down one more notch and found something really hard but possible to make (slow) progress in.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

If you want deathworld hell but actually playable, Clan Hawkins on youtube has deathworld extreme series. So you can look at his settings and go from there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1vXbSCw4s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The settings I decided on were pretty similar to that except without as many resources but a larger starting area to compensate. Resources are all 100% except richness is 200%. It's a pretty fun map if you hate yourself.

code:
>>>eNpjZICC1atW2TMwNNhzsCTnJ+aAWBDM4MCVnF9QkFqkm1+UiizM
mVxUmpKqm5+Jqjg1LzW3UjcpsRik2AGK7Tkyi/Lz0E1gLS7Jz0MVKSl
KTS1GiDTYc5cWJeZlluai62Vg5NkpytDQIgfG/+sZFP7/B2Eg6wFQHo
QZGBuACu0ZGIFiMMCanJOZlsbAoOAIxE4gwxgZGatF1rk/rJpizwhRo
+cAZTyAihxIgol4whh+DjilVGAMEyRzjMHgMxIDYmkJ0AqoKg4HBAMi
2QKSZGT8mPG4Y+uPL3aMf1Z+vOSblGDPWNbM++Wr4hY7oCQ7yJ9McGL
WTBDYCfMKA5ITIFI37RnPngGBN/aMrCAdIiBCQQZIPFgKtE6AD8ha0A
MTg+i2gxkj4sCYBgbfYD55DGNctkf3BzAgbECGy4GIEyACbCHcZYwQp
kO/A6ODPExWEqEEqN+IAdkNKQgfnoRZexjJfjSHYEYEsj/QRFQcsEQD
F8jCFDjxghnuGmB4XmCH8RzmOzAygxggVV+AYhAeOJlCjYLQAg7MDAj
wwZ5BjFMgEgBOp51u<<<

Would love to see other people give the same map a shot and see how their base ends up compared to mine. I literally walled off just the starting ore nodes and bunkered up until I was able to research grenades and red ammo to take out the nest to the south. That let me start expanding an actual smelting operation south.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
@GotLag and any other modders out there: I want to have Factorissimo factories available, but I want the cost to actually matter, so I don't have to struggle with the "cheaty-ness" aspect of it every time I decide whether to add a new building or not (yes, I am a weak person). So here's my simple and hopefully also simple to implement mod idea: Every layer of depth doubles electricity costs. So if you're trying to cram literally everything inside a factory building, then your smelting array that's 4 levels deep will cost 16 times the energy.

Is this feasible?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's probably doable, though it might take some fiddling..

Factorissimo doesn't hook up a direct connection between the electric network inside and outside the factory - instead there's an entity on the outside that eats energy, and an entity on the inside that creates it, with some scripting to communicate between them. So you can probably do things like have the factory require 2MJ of energy to produce 1MJ inside, with some tweaking of those entities and the connecting scripts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The obvious way to cheat that is to produce energy inside the bag of holding. To avoid that, it would preferable if every entity inside could have its energy consuming multiplied. You can put the generator inside, but it’s going to eat coal twice as fast.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just make it so electricity can only go down levels, not up.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
You could get around it anyway by piping down nuclear steam, which is more efficient than piping water (which converts 1-to-1 to steam and also you have to move 100kJ fuel per unit to match nuclear steam). If you ignore the problem of piping energy in other ways, I'd say the X% energy loss per level would be smart since it compounds on every nested level.

Doesn't factorissimo2 have options to disable infinite recursion and even disable finite recursion?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Rescue Toaster posted:

You could get around it anyway by piping down nuclear steam, which is more efficient than piping water (which converts 1-to-1 to steam and also you have to move 100kJ fuel per unit to match nuclear steam). If you ignore the problem of piping energy in other ways, I'd say the X% energy loss per level would be smart since it compounds on every nested level.

Doesn't factorissimo2 have options to disable infinite recursion and even disable finite recursion?

I can easily enforce basic rules like "only build power generation on the main planet surface" and "don't pipe down nuclear steam". Thing is, even the tier 1 basic non-nested factory buildings do feel slightly overpowered :v: . I want to have them available, and to use them, I just want there to be a cost beyond the raw materials. And also keep infinite recursion available, in case I want to do something wacky that will cost 64x the energy. Maybe one day I play pymods and it ends up warranted for some super-complex edge-case.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It shouldn't be too difficult to add an efficiency penalty for transfers here:
https://github.com/MagmaMcFry/Factorissimo2/blob/master/control.lua#L1099

This would automatically compound every level down you go.

If you ratio is 50% (0.5) do something like:
I think, off the top of my head, calculate energy = from.energy * ratio + to.energy. Then in the energy > ebs branch, set from.energy = (energy - ebs) / ratio (So the penalty is refunded for non-transferred energy).

Note that this penalty applies on the very first level of the factory as well. Not sure there's a way to tell, you'd have to somehow check if the outside was on nauvis, and if so skip the ratio.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 7, 2020

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Well I can change the upper limit so that meteors drop in random intervals of between 1 minute and [x], so I guess I'll just crank that up to several hours and cross my fingers.

Research hasn't been too bad but I'm still working on getting off of Nauvis. Those new science packs look like a goddamn handful and a half, though. What is it with this mod and so many constructions requiring 5+ items? The rocket science packs need 7!

I did have my "oh wow" moment when I launched the first modded satellite rocket and got the full overview of the planet (which is much larger and has weird snow and purple biomes now), and the moon (which is 97% water for some reason). I can mostly deal with the complications added by the multiple motors, sand, glass, and etc. I think I actually rather like how the revamped beacons work; requires a different kind of strategic positioning and needs a lot less power to be run to the beacons themselves. The new biomes and planet layout are nifty, the prospect of space station builds is neat, having multiple maps to go to on one save is grand.

But the meteors suck poo poo, the overcomplication of formerly simple assembly lines is a bugbear (why does concrete need IRON STICKS?!), the new constructions pretty much all being 5x5 and larger is really taking the piss (not even worth it to use industrial furnaces because of the size footprint), and one look at the requirements for launching a single cargo pod to attempt the next step of this is already giving me a headache. On the whole I'm getting Galacticraft vibes from this, and not in a good way.

It has made me appreciate just what a fine line of complexity the vanilla game manages to balance, though. If I could just get the tweak this makes to beacon operation as a standalone thing, I think I'd just go with that and chuck the rest of the whole ordeal.

Meteors on Nauvis blow, I’d be fine if they only exist on other planets. Same with robot decay.

The concrete one I don’t mind because rebar and all that. Some of the other ones though....

After slamming the bot decay rate to the minimum and widening the possible timeframe for meteors, I’m enjoying it in combination with krastorio2.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dancer posted:

@GotLag and any other modders out there: I want to have Factorissimo factories available, but I want the cost to actually matter, so I don't have to struggle with the "cheaty-ness" aspect of it every time I decide whether to add a new building or not (yes, I am a weak person). So here's my simple and hopefully also simple to implement mod idea: Every layer of depth doubles electricity costs. So if you're trying to cram literally everything inside a factory building, then your smelting array that's 4 levels deep will cost 16 times the energy.

Is this feasible?

I would use some kind of custom beacon. That would allow speed penalties as well as power consumption.

You could take it another direction and add indestructible short-range negative beacons at increasing numbers the more levels you go in, forcing you to design carefully to fit around them or just eat the losses

GotLag fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 8, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does anyone have a list of mods they recommend for the first playthrough? Just stuff that makes it easier, more fun, removes some annoying parts of the game.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone have a list of mods they recommend for the first playthrough? Just stuff that makes it easier, more fun, removes some annoying parts of the game.

nah. mayyybe long reach but for factorio i'd recommend playing it, and then modding in the things that bug you. eg I play with long reach, side inserters, advanced start etc but that's because I'm not interested in solving those specific problems any more. Find the things that suit you :)

alternate answer: honk

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Boba Pearl posted:

Honk and Disco Science.

Honestly I'd play Factorio mod-free for your first playthrough--the above ones don't change anything about the gameplay.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're playing on Steam and care about Steam achievements playing with mods disables them.

Iirc you still get in-game achievements but they're not recorded on Steam.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm having biters attacking me and I don't have anything to deal with them besides my pistol, is that normal, or did I get a lovely start?

I ended up just loading a new world, this one was too hard.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 8, 2020

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Desert starts can be a little tricky. Get turrets and have an assembler work on yellow ammo, and keep it fed until you can get an SMG and/or red ammo to wipe hives, starting with that guy south of you. (Killing hives with yellow ammo is turbo rough)

If it's untenable, there is no shame in starting over.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Honestly I'd play Factorio mod-free for your first playthrough--the above ones don't change anything about the gameplay.

The only exception to this imo is squeak through. I think they should just add it to the base game at this point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Squeak through is dumb and lets you move through things you obviously shouldn't be able to. It's cheaty and nobody should use it on a first playthrough. Blocking movement to force you to think more about how you lay things out is a perfectly good mechanic. There, I said it. :colbert:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

Squeak through is dumb and lets you move through things you obviously shouldn't be able to. It's cheaty and nobody should use it on a first playthrough. Blocking movement to force you to think more about how you lay things out is a perfectly good mechanic. There, I said it. :colbert:

hard agree

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
:same:

I never really have any trouble moving through my factory. I just, like, go in between the blocks of assemblers/plants/whatever instead of trying to squeeze through 0-tile gaps, especially if pipes are involved. I mean you can run through regular-rear end assemblers but if you're gonna have pipes, use some fuckin underground ones and leave some nice wide spaces for you to run through. I generally keep chemical plants to ~10 in one row, with nice ~4-6 tile gaps between them. Also, when laying pipe, put an underground pipe in there once every unit length that is twice the largest distance you'd be willing to detour when running around your factory.

You're gonna need that space later, anyway, when your factory spaghetti spreads and you gotta lay more belts and pipes.

Also, assuming you don't have biter problems, fill your power armor up with as many exoskeletons as you can. It's easy to go around obstacles if you go at 2.5x speed or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Playing without squeak through encourages you to spread your base out and not fall into the trap of building super compact in a game where space is practically unlimited.