Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

Charisma isn't a dump stat either because it governs strike

Yeah it's probably the best stat in the game overall, if you ignore coordination.
My supreme jerk minmaxed no fun allowed team would probably be a small arms 10 cha 10 coo 5-6 str/speed dude, the exact same dude but SMGs, a 10 int 1 cha sneak explosives dude and a 10 cha 10 str brawler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I almost feel like Coord was a mistake and they should have fixed AP to some number with a few perks or traits to raise it a point or two, instead of having this massive gap between low and high in that stat. I put it to max or near max on every single one of my chars, and really felt it on new npcs who didn't have it maxed.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Do the prefab pairs have full voice acting?

Do I have to pick between voice acting for my characters or being able to customize them?

Why not let me pick a prefab pair AND let me change their skills? <:mad:>

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

victrix posted:

I almost feel like Coord was a mistake and they should have fixed AP to some number with a few perks or traits to raise it a point or two, instead of having this massive gap between low and high in that stat. I put it to max or near max on every single one of my chars, and really felt it on new npcs who didn't have it maxed.

Fallout 1/2 did it with agility so it means it's a great mechanic to put in your game 40 years later.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

My Major Tom is basically immortal, he's got several thousand health because he's (perhaps wrongly) affected by other people's Animal Whisperer perks. It's also worth noting you can get him attached to someone without Animal Whisperer while your actual whisperer(s) pick up their own pets.

It's the same deal with the baby buffalo friend. With a murderous doe, a razorback, the disco bot and the brave little toaster it makes for an excellent front line to move in with my melee. Now if they'd only stop bottlenecking my melee from actually rushing in.

I miss The Provost but the payoff was worth it, and it's one less dude to clog up my battle lines.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

victrix posted:

there no single game where the stat that gives you AP or speed isnt the god stat. youd think devs would know to remove it by know

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
On Supreme Jerk, after the obvious coordination, int and cha feel like the only damage stats worth mentioning because crits and strikes are ludicrously powerful, enemies have a gajillion HP, and you really, really need as many of them dead as fast as possible because if more than a couple of them get to take a turn they might squad wipe you.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Reclaimer posted:

My Major Tom is basically immortal, he's got several thousand health because he's (perhaps wrongly) affected by other people's Animal Whisperer perks. It's also worth noting you can get him attached to someone without Animal Whisperer while your actual whisperer(s) pick up their own pets.

It's the same deal with the baby buffalo friend. With a murderous doe, a razorback, the disco bot and the brave little toaster it makes for an excellent front line to move in with my melee. Now if they'd only stop bottlenecking my melee from actually rushing in.

I miss The Provost but the payoff was worth it, and it's one less dude to clog up my battle lines.

Yeah I'm rocking at least three people with AW at 3 for the improved hp and attack. I missed the brave little toaster on my initial run but will have to look for him this run.

Major Tom needs an ending companion screen... even if its just to say he's a good cat and likes a scritch. I love how you can pet him and he goes to play with you after. Edit: bloody autocorrect

Also NPC talk: it happens but just here and there. Marshall and Lucia are the main two but I've had Jodie pipe up now and then with the others. Her given mech, first aid and animal whisperer have been very useful skills to add. She plops down somewhere, marks a target, pops a turret or low level bot and either shoots or waits till next turn. Shes also useful as a backup healer for both vehicle and Rangers. She doesn't win battles alone like in W2 but a very useful support class while my explosives and melee do the actual work. Also be sure to have her around when you have the busker in Colorado Springs sing. Very minor moment but its nice flavour. Game isn't perfect but you can really feel they love this game and enjoy making it. Only things I see this much obvious game makers affection are Disco Elysium and Pillars of Eternity 2. Everyone in this thread should try those games if they haven't. PoE2: Deadfire got released a few months ago on the XBox One. Please buy that game.

The bottlenecking can be annoying though with lots of helpers. Still like at least 3 to accompany my melee guy or guys. Nice setup was a nasty brawler, my Batman guy and three pets. Had my big guns/explosives pyro and at least one assault rifle leader do close support. Just devastated the bad guys.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 4, 2020

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just encountered the gippers for the first time holy poo poo lol

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the more people post about 'top tier difficulty' it sounds more and more like an exercise in ruining your own fun and taking away choices in exchange for being able to post about it.

dial it down to veteran, use the entire skill deck and have fun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah rocket tag is poo poo, the combat in this game isn't rich enough that 'very jacked enemies' makes it more fun

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I like to make big numbers appear but if there's nothing in the game challenging enough to warrant making those big numbers then there's no fun in it :shrug:

Like, the idea of exploiting Draw! Perk from Small Arms to shoot 5 2 AP rockets sounds great to me but if I could've just shot at the bad guys for the exact same result then what's the point

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I fricken love this game, what a great sequel. My experience has been mostly bug free and what I've encountered has been minor visual stuff, and one quest that still shows as active despite being completed.

Gameplay wise the streamlining is good and resolved my major gripes with Wasteland 2, although I do wish there were actual options for setting up a pre battle ambush with your whole team. Minor complaints I have concern the UI being kinda unintuitive and could be improved in several areas. I wish stealth had more support. There have been times where I've snuck my team through areas but from the dialogue its obvious you're expected to shoot your way through everything.

I do wish companion dialogue had a little more emphasis. It would be nice to be able to ask each one about their thoughts on the current situation.

I just made it to the Racetrack and I want to like Angela but what the gently caress is her plan after she burns everything down? She doesn't think the Rangers should help a tyrant in any situation, and so we should essentially stage a coup to overthrow Colorado's government with the help of a slaver and his army, on the condition said slaver then be allowed to take his army afterward into Kentucky where he will rape and enslave the entire state. But then what's her plan to save Arizona? She says nothing about it. And once she's done with the Scar Collectors she's perfectly okay with letting them go off and rape and enslave Kentucky? But we -have- to save Colorado from the Patriarch? For all his faults, and I really don't want to like the guy, he's not a literal slaver with a slaver army who plans to rape and enslave an entire state, and from all I've seen, Colorado is a stable, mostly functioning society, and Team November resolved a lot of the problems plaguing it over the course of their adventures. Maybe Angrla's thought about it but the way this scheme has been presented makes it obvious something is missing here. The only logical thing I can think of is that she's using the Rangers to install herself as Queen-Tyrant of Colorado and she'll pull the rug out from under us at the last minute but that doesn't sit right either. Is it a genuine people's revolution like she says? if so, there's nothing to show me it's anything other than an outside paramilitary force deciding to stage a coup. I just don't feel like I have enough information to make a sound decision any other way than siding with the Patriarch. Just going with Angela's plan given what I know seems unreasonable. The whole reason we are here in the first place is to secure aid for Arizona. Yet I can't help but feel stuck on the fence. Do I want to give up Cordite to work with the Mechanic and lose my brawler/explosives/tank guy? I didn't really want to work with him in the first place but he's so integral to my team now and the load times are so long I don't wanna travel back to HQ to make a new guy.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I mean I plugged Cordite in his cell. Angela was pretty salty about it but seems to think things can still work out so we'll see if it's an improvement.

I'm Team Liberty all the way, personally, but I don't think that's gonna be an option. Sheer audacity just does it for me.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 4, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I haven't got to that part yet but is it possible to recruit Cordite and still side with the Patriarch? He seems interesting but Angela's plan is dumb as hell.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

upgunned shitpost posted:

the more people post about 'top tier difficulty' it sounds more and more like an exercise in ruining your own fun and taking away choices in exchange for being able to post about it.

SJ is really fun, though? It's fun the same way XCOM is fun, pretty much.

My friend is playing through SJ and has both armor/weapon modding, barter, and toaster repair in his main party despite those being easy to mule off on throwaway characters, and he also has maxed both speech skills; this isn't a "if you're suboptimal, you die" difficulty. You don't really need to hyper minmax to succeed so much as you need to approach combat carefully with an eye for alpha strikes.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 4, 2020

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Nephthys posted:

I haven't got to that part yet but is it possible to recruit Cordite and still side with the Patriarch? He seems interesting but Angela's plan is dumb as hell.

Once you get close to the endgame there's an event where he'll very explicitly force you to pick sides and leave the party if you don't side with him. But you can keep him around for most of the game without comitting to his path.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

I like to make big numbers appear but if there's nothing in the game challenging enough to warrant making those big numbers then there's no fun in it :shrug:

:same:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Kanos posted:

SJ is really fun, though? It's fun the same way XCOM is fun, pretty much.

My friend is playing through SJ and has both armor/weapon modding, barter, and toaster repair in his main party despite those being easy to mule off on throwaway characters, and he also has maxed both speech skills; this isn't a "if you're suboptimal, you die" difficulty. You don't really need to hyper minmax to succeed so much as you need to approach combat carefully with an eye for alpha strikes.

this is called rationalization and is absolutely powerless when it comes to cool fun-havers like me.

I am glad that you and your friend are using this shared gaming hardship as a bonding experience though, that's really nice.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Maybe people can have fun in different ways than yours and that's okay

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Coordination is a really good stat for someone who needs to be really effective in combat. But you can totally have party members who are ineffective in combat and have it pay off in other aspects of the game.

Of course, if your combat difficulty is set super high you're going to need a lot of people who are capable in fights.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The only stats that do something out of combat are intelligence and awareness though, there's no stat check à la Fallout during dialogues/exploration as far as I know. You'll have enough points to get coordination to go with that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Coordination is a really good stat for someone who needs to be really effective in combat. But you can totally have party members who are ineffective in combat and have it pay off in other aspects of the game.

Of course, if your combat difficulty is set super high you're going to need a lot of people who are capable in fights.

One of the most effective builds I've seen is a guy whose only job is to throw turrets, have a pet, and revive people with the leadership bonus. It's pretty funny.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Turrets are really goddamn good in this game when you have high mechanics. I've had them finish off so many enemies that manage to survive with a sliver of health (which happens a lot.) I don't think you even need the decoys, even a machinegun turret somehow draws all aggro to it.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Is anyone else having as bad of a time as I am trying to play this on Xbox? I'm really enjoying the gameplay so far, I'm at Colorado Springs for the first time, killed the guys holed up in the store and the looters in the street, but I've already had 7 game closing crashes. Frustrating.

Have I been disproportionately unlucky, or should I just hold off on playing until there's a patch?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Console stability, especially on XBox, is apparently a gigantic problem right now that they've acknowledged and are working on.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedrick posted:

Have I been disproportionately unlucky, or should I just hold off on playing until there's a patch?

The game is absolutely riddled with bugs on all platforms, but consoles seem to have the worst of it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Looks like the patch to fix co-op progression loss went in, as well as a bunch of bug squashes. Anyone have a trip report? I've been putting off playing more since my bud wants to do co-op and I don't want to get burned out but we were also waiting for that to be fixed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

upgunned shitpost posted:

lol yeah people can't possibly like this thing that i don't like, they must all be in it for the clout (???)

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Question about the Cowboy Jamboree: So I just picked up the Headhunters quest at the Cowboy Jamboree to find some deserters, including Alfredo at the Bizarre. The problem is that I didn't help either the Cartel or the Monster Army during the takeover attempt and now everyone is dead, including Alfredo. Is there any way to finish that quest? When I spoke to the dude who gives it to you after accepting it there was no option to mention Alfredo being killed.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i want to say the barter perk breaks the game but i dunno how i would have won a few of these fights without throwing out like 6 turrents and spamming grenades

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Bussamove posted:

Looks like the patch to fix co-op progression loss went in, as well as a bunch of bug squashes. Anyone have a trip report?

there's no conversation lag anymore on the steam version. like zero. load times are about 75% of what they were, I think, but I could also be imagining that.

they also removed the goggles from the last gas mask option. probably not related, but it'd be incredibly funny if it was.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
mmm i just won 68.000 dollars selling junk. barter is totally worth it lmao

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

dammit i just spent like 15 minutes fighting what seemed like an endless wave of drools in denver and the game crashed mid battle. there were so many i lost count and it didnt seem like it was going to end

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Am I blind? Any way to turn on auto-advance dialogue? Why do I have to click after every line?

And why does my portrait look like this?

I selected something else in character creation.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 4, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

PirateBob posted:

Am I blind? Any way to turn on auto-advance dialogue? Why do I have to click after every line?

And why does my portrait look like this?

I selected something else in character creation.

Go to the locker in the barracks and try changing your appearance--I'm pretty sure you can choose a different portrait.

I'm currently downloading an update on Steam. Anyone got the patch notes?

edit: Oh, I have the patch notes:

quote:

Wasteland 3 Version 1.1.0

Please note: Co-op players should ensure their client versions match as mismatched clients can cause unforeseen issues. More info here.

Quests and Gameplay
Fixed issues that could cause character and quest progression to be lost
Fixed Fishlips’ encounter
Fixed an issue where some players would see an endlessly looping Ambush Site intro
The La Perla quest can now be completed
Polly and the Cyborg Chickens have been beefed up

Co-op
Fixed issues that could cause character and quest progression to be lost
Fixed multiple issues that could cause an infinite loading screen
Fixed a sync issue where the host and guest could see the Kodiak in different places after receiving a radio call
The host and guests will no longer get different radio calls on the world map
Resolved an issue where one player would only see a black screen while the other is watching the intro video
Resolved an issue whereby one player getting disconnected in character creation within Ranger HQ would cause the other player’s game to become unresponsive
Fixed a crash that could occur when a second player joins an in-progress conversation with Irv
Fixed a crash that could occur for the guest when talking with Hope Emerson

Stability
Fixed a possible freeze when approaching a specific robot in Broadmoor Heights
Fixed an issue where the UI could disappear if viewing the main menu for a long time

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I can't believe this game doesn't have a NG+ mode. Just how.
There's also no auto-travel to known locations (unless I missed it).

Anyway... after completing a playthrough I can say that the biggest improvement over Wasteland 2 isn't the graphics, or the vehicular combat. It's the writing.
There's an actual compelling story in there. And at least one companion with an actual personality and a personal arc (that ties very well to the main story).
Someone that's better with words can hopefully expand on it. Preferably using words like allegory and metaphor.
It's a mostly grim story, but that's Wasteland for you I guess.

The bad things about this game are mostly the awful loading times, and the unresponsive UI.
The game can feel very claustrophobic. The camera is placed too low. The enviroments are small and cramped. Same goes for the world map.
And of course there are bugs. But it's a new cRPG, and it's a tradition for those to have bugs around launch.

I was also very disappointed that the only actual city is Colorado, and that there's barely anything of note in it.
And there needs to be more perks. But I liked that there's synergy with some of them.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I fricken love this game, what a great sequel. My experience has been mostly bug free and what I've encountered has been minor visual stuff, and one quest that still shows as active despite being completed.

Gameplay wise the streamlining is good and resolved my major gripes with Wasteland 2, although I do wish there were actual options for setting up a pre battle ambush with your whole team. Minor complaints I have concern the UI being kinda unintuitive and could be improved in several areas. I wish stealth had more support. There have been times where I've snuck my team through areas but from the dialogue its obvious you're expected to shoot your way through everything.

I do wish companion dialogue had a little more emphasis. It would be nice to be able to ask each one about their thoughts on the current situation.

I just made it to the Racetrack and I want to like Angela but what the gently caress is her plan after she burns everything down? She doesn't think the Rangers should help a tyrant in any situation, and so we should essentially stage a coup to overthrow Colorado's government with the help of a slaver and his army, on the condition said slaver then be allowed to take his army afterward into Kentucky where he will rape and enslave the entire state. But then what's her plan to save Arizona? She says nothing about it. And once she's done with the Scar Collectors she's perfectly okay with letting them go off and rape and enslave Kentucky? But we -have- to save Colorado from the Patriarch? For all his faults, and I really don't want to like the guy, he's not a literal slaver with a slaver army who plans to rape and enslave an entire state, and from all I've seen, Colorado is a stable, mostly functioning society, and Team November resolved a lot of the problems plaguing it over the course of their adventures. Maybe Angrla's thought about it but the way this scheme has been presented makes it obvious something is missing here. The only logical thing I can think of is that she's using the Rangers to install herself as Queen-Tyrant of Colorado and she'll pull the rug out from under us at the last minute but that doesn't sit right either. Is it a genuine people's revolution like she says? if so, there's nothing to show me it's anything other than an outside paramilitary force deciding to stage a coup. I just don't feel like I have enough information to make a sound decision any other way than siding with the Patriarch. Just going with Angela's plan given what I know seems unreasonable. The whole reason we are here in the first place is to secure aid for Arizona. Yet I can't help but feel stuck on the fence. Do I want to give up Cordite to work with the Mechanic and lose my brawler/explosives/tank guy? I didn't really want to work with him in the first place but he's so integral to my team now and the load times are so long I don't wanna travel back to HQ to make a new guy.

As was already said, Angela Deth is a moron. She's also a psycho and her name is basically 'the angel of death'. So siding with her seems like a really bad idea.
Which isn't to say that Colorado will be fine with the Patriarch. Colorado was hosed the moment the Patriarch didn't bother to groom a sane heir, or set up the ground for a direct democracy

It may or may not be intended, but I think Angela is supposed to be an older broken version of Lucia. What with her being the only character with an actual arc in the game. They have the same black and white view of the world, only Lucia might actually grow out of it, and Angela just completely lost it.
Angela also just murders Lucia if she objects to you helping with the coup. Maybe (probably) I'm reading too much into it

It's also very clever how that, if you played W2, they immediately create an attachment or some form of trust towards Angela's team by using companions from the second game. You meet her face to face, and then of course there's a fight... and you see their name tags, their equipment... a part of me was going "this is echo team - this is me". It was neat.
Similarly, the Patriarch's voice acting and character design almost make you forget how much of a monster he is.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Major Tom needs an ending companion screen... even if its just to say he's a good cat and likes a scritch. I love how you can pet him and he goes to play with you after. Edit: bloody autocorrect

:hmmyes:

Zeta Acosta posted:

mmm i just won 68.000 dollars selling junk. barter is totally worth it lmao

Yeah, that perk is broken. You'll always be swimming in cash if you take it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

By the by, there was an early game choice save the Hoon family or the Arapaho caravan and I did the former. I heard that this would lead to baddies in power armor attacking Colorado Springs but I haven't seen that come up in so long I'm wondering if I missed the repercussions of my actions somehow.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nephthys posted:

I just let him go, but I don't see why not. He cares more about his destiny, and that's to the east. Do it and find out.

marshmallow creep posted:

By the by, there was an early game choice save the Hoon family or the Arapaho caravan and I did the former. I heard that this would lead to baddies in power armor attacking Colorado Springs but I haven't seen that come up in so long I'm wondering if I missed the repercussions of my actions somehow.

I think the armor changes hands between either side depending on what you chose to do. It's not very important.

Edit:

Forgot to ask about this end-game unique machine gun named Flamesaw Cannon... it appears to not have any ammo in the game? Unless that's the joke.
Admittedly I didn't really check beyond trying to reload it once. It could be that scrap is the ammo.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I found literally one ammo pickup for that after finding it

Wondering if the ammo drops were gated by finding it?