Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Because it's the Marvel Universe, there is both Pan (the Olympian God) who has barely appeared but showed up in Pak's Hulk/Herc run briefly, and also Pan (a Latverian Inhuman(?)) who is also a satyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

How Wonderful! posted:

I think when he died briefly a man he'd hooked up with or dated spoke at the funeral but obviously that's a far cry from an on-panel kiss. I think it was Northstar actually? Let me go look.

Edit: Ok here we go. From Hercules: Fall of an Avengers.

Yes that was one of the examples I was thinking of. The other was in Dan Jurgens run on Thor where a guy in a bar is eyeing Herc across the bar( which was a callback to the first issue of Dan Jurgen's run on Thor where a lady does the same thing to the Odinson.)

But historically that was pretty much it when it came to Herc's bi-sexuality in the MU.
Otherwise there are dozens of examples where he is seducing or sleeping with ladies.

Oh just remembered that Greg Pak had a mythological figure asking Herc and Amadeus Cho if they were an item and it was flatly denied.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

But historically that was pretty much it when it came to Herc's bi-sexuality in the MU.
Otherwise there are dozens of examples where he is seducing or sleeping with ladies.

I think that's pretty common with bisexual characters. John Constantine has been canonically bisexual since (I think) issue 51 of the original Hellblazer, but I don't think it came up again until the second relaunch of the title post New 52, twentyish years later.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Metalshark posted:

Was GotG #6 the first time Hercules actually kissed a dude on-panel in a Marvel comic?

I just read this and I wasn't expecting Herc to kiss Noh-varr. I mean, I get that Noh-varr's bi, but it just threw me off since Herc looks like he's in his early 40s, while last I know, Noh-varr was around 20 in Gillen's Young Avengers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

amigolupus posted:

since Herc looks like he's in his early 40s

Early 3000s

site fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 4, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't want to be a prude, but if the year you were born ends with "BC" you shouldn't be trying to pick up college students.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gripweed posted:

I don't want to be a prude, but if the year you were born ends with "BC" you shouldn't be trying to pick up college students.

I trust Noh-Varr to make his own choices.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I think that's pretty common with bisexual characters. John Constantine has been canonically bisexual since (I think) issue 51 of the original Hellblazer, but I don't think it came up again until the second relaunch of the title post New 52, twentyish years later.

John was making out with dudes in the Azzarello run.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Rhyno posted:

Not a Hellblazer expert but wasn’t that the first time he did anything gay on-panel (and years after his bisexuality was initially referenced)?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I loving don't, have you read like 90% of the things he's been in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I honestly don't remember.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mulva posted:

I loving don't, have you read like 90% of the things he's been in?

I didn't say I trusted them to be the choices I would make.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Oh gently caress, I forgot about that, which is particularly embarrassing since I'm one of the few who actually likes that run.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Kree have invented a mathematical formula about when age differences in relationships become problematic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

The Kree have invented a mathematical formula about when age differences in relationships become problematic.

Isn't Noh a clone who's aging was accelerated?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Isn't Noh a clone who's aging was accelerated?

Maybe. I know he talked about how the Kree had a mathematical formula disproving the existence of God, which sounds like peek Libertarianism mixed with Peak nu-Atheist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe. I know he talked about how the Kree had a mathematical formula disproving the existence of God, which sounds like peek Libertarianism mixed with Peak nu-Atheist.

Was that the Morrison mini or Bendis? Gillen's take on the character is by far the best.

EVERYONE GO READ YOUNG AVENGERS

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was Jason Aaron in The List: Wolverine. Same page that Fantomex mentions that he is genetically engineered not to believe in anything greater than himself, making him immune to the viral religion that took over The World

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
IIRC Si Spurrier had some great payoff to that little nugget.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
That run was so good

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It was an underrated gem for sure, everything he did for Marvel was golden.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Smh at the kree not believing in Jack Kirby

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

That was Jason Aaron in The List: Wolverine. Same page that Fantomex mentions that he is genetically engineered not to believe in anything greater than himself, making him immune to the viral religion that took over The World

I wonder what the standard for "great" is.

"Look at all the idiots on Earth who believe the Hulk exists :colbert:"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think it’s more like his narcissism is at a genetic level. He can accept the existence of god, but that doesn’t mean god is better than Fantomex.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

As I remember it, the way the Spurrier arc ends is that in order to have that hold true Fantomex just keeps elevating himself higher and higher in his own estimation until he becomes a jrpg boss. I'm running back and forth today but I'll try to put some scans up later or, if I'm lucky, very soon.

Edit: X-Force (2014) #11-15

And then much later, after he's mainlined a bunch of superpower drugs:

It looks goofy out of context (and was, in a way, goofy in context) but integrated into the whole run it was a really effective and startling turn. Spurrier is so good.

He's eventually defeated by Psylocke using her psychic knife to force humility into him. It was really really a neat run.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 5, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah he basically starts losing his grip on reality after Psylocke lightly ribs him for making mistakes despite ostensibly being "perfect" and his god complex gets completely out of hand

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Didn't Fantomex give his body up to be used by Xavier, like, just a couple of months before everything mutant-related was retconned for House/Powers of X?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

El Tortuga posted:

Didn't Fantomex give his body up to be used by Xavier, like, just a couple of months before everything mutant-related was retconned for House/Powers of X?

And I'm 98% sure that it ended looking like he was evil/had some kind of theorizing "WHAT IS THIS 'X' PERSON", too.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 6, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it doesn't even really make much sense now, as xavier was retconned to have been laying the groundwork for krakoa at the time. even if he was still dead then, he certainly did not need to engage in shadow king-esque bullshit to resurrect. i expect if anyone ever revisits this it will reveal that version as a fake who was merely impersonating xavier. but really, there are quite enough xavier impostors already.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
He hasn't always remembered the Krakoa stuff for Reasons

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

He hasn't always remembered the Krakoa stuff for Reasons
Self-imposed psychic blocking.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

El Tortuga posted:

I think it was my own inference that this wasn't retconned or anything. From the director's cut scripts of HoX/PoX, it was mandated that Xavier not be seen without his helmet on, which I think spawned a bunch of "he's the Maker!!" kind of stuff. But then he's killed and revived like practically immediately and takes his helmet off later just fine and there's... really nothing of significance to it at all?

So it seems like it was just a little something to respect that continuity but not engage with it or confuse people.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Knowing comics, however, there's also a chance it won't be talked about for 20 years until a writer randomly pulls it out of a hat for a huge surprise twist.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

Knowing comics, however, there's also a chance it won't be talked about for 20 years until a writer randomly pulls it out of a hat for a huge surprise twist.

Well, the Giant Size X-Men issues have been building up to a Fantomex-lead raid on The World, so logically if it was gonna get referenced ANYWHERE

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is a billion years late but I'm powering through Ultimate Spider-Man from where I stopped however long ago (though some of it seems familiar so I have no idea where I did actually stop) and Bagley's art looks way better once Hanna is on inks and Justin Ponsor is on inks, around the middle #80s. Makes his work look less sloppy and cartoony and is more reminiscent of his old Amazing stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is anybody who is not already an Ultraman fan going to be picking up Rise of Ultraman this week?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am out of curiosity.

I also have a couple of big Ultraman fans for friends so it'll be nice to talk to them about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

I am out of curiosity.

This took me a second to process without the previous post. I was like "how do you run out of curiosity?"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Is anybody who is not already an Ultraman fan going to be picking up Rise of Ultraman this week?

As a man in my mid 30s I have no idea why anyone cares about/knows what Ultraman is. My stores owner seems to believe otherwise, but this thing is going to be dead in the water unless it is genuinely incredible. At 6 bucks? Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As a man in my mid 30s I have no idea why anyone cares about/knows what Ultraman is. My stores owner seems to believe otherwise, but this thing is going to be dead in the water unless it is genuinely incredible. At 6 bucks? Oof.

There's the anime on Netflix that seems reasonably popular, and they just recently started releasing seasons of Ultraman on bluray for pretty cheap in America, and they've started streaming the current season of Ultraman, Ultraman Z, with English sub on Youtube as it airs in Japan. It's a big push to make Ultraman popular in America.