Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Bape Culture posted:

Is messi not going to city then the stupid little oval office?

He'll go to Celtic if Rod Stewart lets him have a go on his train set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah. Still, if you're only getting 15m for him, would it be worth letting him leave on a free at the end of the season? Though then I guess Liverpool risks locker room issues, especially if they bring in Thiago Alcântara... who is also 29 and I imagine would have significant wage demands of his own.

I might be overrating gini a bit but I don't think Thiago would be a significant upgrade over him, and in that scenario you're paying thiago till he's probably 34 or something, so the last two years of that contract probably don't look great.

to me it makes sense to just get a great contract year out of gini and then go find a younger replacement next year, but then i've never really understood the thiago link. thats more a manu move to me.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think the point of Thiago is that he's better at picking apart a packed defence than any of our other midfielders while still knowing how to press.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

bewbies posted:

I might be overrating gini a bit but I don't think Thiago would be a significant upgrade over him, and in that scenario you're paying thiago till he's probably 34 or something, so the last two years of that contract probably don't look great.

to me it makes sense to just get a great contract year out of gini and then go find a younger replacement next year, but then i've never really understood the thiago link. thats more a manu move to me.

What's there to get? Thiago's one of the best build-up midfielders in the game and offers ball-controlling and creative passing skills that aren't really on the Reds roster right now. I have no idea if he's the "missing piece" but it makes sense why people think he'd be useful against the low blocks Liverpool's likely to see this season. It's a different threat than their current strategy of "tire you out for 80 minutes and then out-endurance you."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/goal/status/1301913032185073664?s=10

He’s gone.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

tasty shitflinging in this interview

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
drat this sounds like a fun time

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1301913206177267712

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Messi will barely run next season lol assuming he plays

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Messi start a legal war you coward

kecske
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bape Culture posted:

Is messi not going to city then the stupid little oval office?

dont
sign
your
hes going to stay but do a Tevez and refuse to play

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Messi gets a Ł63m loyalty bonus for staying lmfao

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Barca are gonna pay Messi more in wages than the entire Leeds squad to poo poo it up on the pitch and constantly take the piss out of the board in public.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

de curry GOAT posted:

Messi will barely run next season lol assuming he plays

He’s just going to stand still in the same spot all match.

Will still manage to get some good goals from it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He should really fire his lawyers or whoever advised him on this

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Vegetable posted:

He should really fire his lawyers or whoever advised him on this

oh no? He’ll only get paid more than God to do the bare minimum and have the board take all the blame while having to live in cruddy old Barcelona instead of cosmopolitan Manchester.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Akbar posted:

Messi start a legal war you coward

It's not like the Catalans are particularly good at winning wars.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Is this social distancing or just his usual way of interacting with people?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres two endings to this as far as I can see; Messi ends next season feeling that Barcelona are progressing and he stays (and presumably wins some trophies), or he leaves for Man City.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jippa posted:

Lots of suarez to juve chat in the last few mins.

Arthur and Big Weston are currently occupying the foreigner slots for Juventus and they are scrambling to get him either a Spanish passport based on past residence or an Italian one (through marriage, because his wife's great grandmother is Friulian or something). Completely doable, especially since it's Juve but that's another hurdle.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
You know its a serious interview when he turns up in flip flops

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

You know its a serious interview when he turns up in flip flops

Not even wearing his scrum cap smh

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
Havertz to Chelsea is official: https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/09/04/chelsea-have-havertz-

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/WestHam/status/1301969552251801600?s=19

Diangana to West Ham is a DONE DEAL and West Ham fans are melting down

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

https://twitter.com/WestHam/status/1301969552251801600?s=19

Diangana to West Ham is a DONE DEAL and West Ham fans are melting down

West ham to west ham

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
https://twitter.com/acmilan/status/1301928260176150528

Done Deal

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
never heard of him but good luck to the lad. trying to work out what is going on in the right hand side of this picture https://twitter.com/Brahim/status/1285657475564396546/photo/1

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
messi transfer saga was the most shite of all time

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
I'd hate to see Gini leave Liverpool -- but I also understand letting him leave. He's got good skills and vision, but so much of his game is about his pace, stamina, and ability to recover the ball in midfield. If he were to lose those attributes through age or injury, he would still be a good squad player, but not the powerhouse that he currently is. It's hard to blame Liverpool for not wanting to give him a huge contract that could eventually become a liability, and it's hard to blame him for wanting to get paid like the other Liverpool stars given his past contributions.

Also LOL @ Messi staying at Barca after all of this. Was he really trying to leave or did he just want to force out the board of directors?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

J Hume posted:

Also LOL @ Messi staying at Barca after all of this. Was he really trying to leave or did he just want to force out the board of directors?

He probably wanted to leave until his lawyers explained to him that it would cost a bajillion dollars to litigate what happens to a contract when it has a date certain and then a pandemic happens that fucks everything up and there was no certainty he’d win.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I have it on good authority that Messi is investing some money into Stoke to get them promoted so that he can prove that he can indeed do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke next season.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

bewbies posted:

It won't be an upgrade in that both Gini and Thiago are versatile press-resistant midfielders who can engage in their own team's pressing systems really well, but Thiago would be a big upgrade in terms of adding creativity in central areas, which we're in need of. Teams are getting a better handle on how to deal with our current creative outlets (Trent and Robertson), so adding another player who can unlock defences is key for this season. Also, if Klopp ever wants to change the team shape to a 4-2-3-1 (with Minamino as a 10, or Brewster as a 9), Thiago would be an excellent option as part of a midfield 2 alongside Henderson, Fabinho or Keita. Those are all tasty double pivots imo, whereas they become a lot less exciting if you substitute Gini in there instead.

I love Wijnaldum, but like it was said earlier his physicality is a big part of his game, and if he loses that at Liverpool having just signed a new deal then that would be poo poo. He's more than earned the right to have a few seasons playing for Barca and being paid obscene amounts of money while doing so, they'd probably treble or even quadruple his wages lol.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
i thought barca didnt have any money

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I thought nobody had any money in this post-COVID world, or at least that's what Liverpool keep saying. Here we are having to sell in order to buy while everyone else suddenly can just buy players. Leeds can spunk 30m on a new striker in their first season in the prem in 16 years. City buying Messi for hundreds of millions of quid isn't immediately laughed out of the room. But we have to sell Lovren in order to buy a back-up left back and sell Wijnaldum to buy Thiago apparently.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

an_mutt posted:

I thought nobody had any money in this post-COVID world, or at least that's what Liverpool keep saying. Here we are having to sell in order to buy while everyone else suddenly can just buy players. Leeds can spunk 30m on a new striker in their first season in the prem in 16 years. City buying Messi for hundreds of millions of quid isn't immediately laughed out of the room. But we have to sell Lovren in order to buy a back-up left back and sell Wijnaldum to buy Thiago apparently.

FSG people turning out their pockets as comedy moths fly out

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ask red Sox fans how they feel about the mookie Betts situation

that being said I'm certainly not going to complain having watched this team go the last couple of years

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yes, it sucks. But we won the title. If we hadn't, I'd be very upset. But we did. So I will not complain at all.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

kcer posted:

messi transfer saga was the most shite of all time

if we're talking counterfactuals i think the transfer of billions of pounds to newcastle fc would have had a greater impact

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Messi was always going to stay anyone who thought otherwise got worked.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

hadji murad posted:

Messi was always going to stay anyone who thought otherwise got worked.

He should have just accepted Bartomeu's offer last week to step down if he stayed. Now he's getting an even shittier deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Gini scored two beautiful goals against Barca in two (2) minutes in a champions league semifinal. Thiago (the other one) couldn’t even score one when Bayern put 8 past them.

my point really here is that Liverpool shouldn’t take a penny more or less than 69 million for him.