Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

International law is calvinball. You can do whatever you decide you can do and enforce.

Like for an actual example, Malaysia has a war crimes tribunal that convicted George W Bush in 2012 for torture over Abu Ghraib. They could try to get the US to extradite him (that won't work) or invade and try to capture him (that won't work either). Practically they have no ability to enforce their judgment.

For one that was actually enforced, Senegal convicted and imprisoned a president of Chad for mass murder, torture, and rape of Chadian citizens after he was forced out of power and fled to Senegal. Perpetrator, victims, and crimes all occurred outside of Senegal, but Senegal gave itself jurisdiction and had a way to enforce it.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

International law is calvinball. You can do whatever you decide you can do and enforce.

Like for an actual example, Malaysia has a war crimes tribunal that convicted George W Bush in 2012 for torture over Abu Ghraib. They could try to get the US to extradite him (that won't work) or invade and try to capture him (that won't work either). Practically they have no ability to enforce their judgment.

For one that was actually enforced, Senegal convicted and imprisoned a president of Chad for mass murder, torture, and rape of Chadian citizens after he was forced out of power and fled to Senegal. Perpetrator, victims, and crimes all occurred outside of Senegal, but Senegal gave itself jurisdiction and had a way to enforce it.

So malaysia has basically prevented bush from visiting because he'll be arrested if he lands there but otherwise nothing happens?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

honda whisperer posted:

So malaysia has basically prevented bush from visiting because he'll be arrested if he lands there but otherwise nothing happens?

Basically, international law is “they’ve made their decision, now let them enforce it” only some of the people involved have nuclear weapons.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Legal Questions: International Law is Calvinball

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Legal Questions: International Law is Calvinball

I mean, most of it is. Some of it is extremely applicable and important for a bunch of countries to varying degrees though, such as the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights

That's not Calvinball. At all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

International law is a legit thing yeah. It’s pretty nuanced tho and for people who grow up in a rogue white supremacist hate state it’s a little strange

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I mean, most of it is. Some of it is extremely applicable and important for a bunch of countries to varying degrees though, such as the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights

That's not Calvinball. At all.

That particular one is not Calvinball because it's written and ratified and thus part of the usual legal structure of the states involved. Where international law gets wonky is when it's unwritten and applied to states that disagree with it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Captain von Trapp posted:

That particular one is not Calvinball because it's written and ratified and thus part of the usual legal structure of the states involved. Where international law gets wonky is when it's unwritten and applied to states that disagree with it.

Yeah, I took a few weeks of international law, but the first case we were told to read consisted of America doing a bad thing, everyone agreeing that America had done a bad thing, and then absolutely nothing happening as a result, so I dropped it in favour of something which seemed like it had a practical purpose.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

International is different from domestic in that it's usually opt-in and there are no penalties for violating it besides what other countries are actually will do.

For example, the UK decided to not accept Protocol 12 of ECHR (widening antidiscrimination) or Turkey has had occasional sketchy elections despite agreeing to the article about free & fair elections. Nothing has happened to them besides other countries issuing condemnations. Compare that to domestic law where it is applied to people regardless of if they agree to it & the state:person power asymmetry allows much more targeted enforcement.

International law is peer-to-peer. You can get a big group condone/condemn some behavior, you can point out that someone is breaking a previous promise, you can stop trading with someone or punch them in the face, but there's no higher authority to impose rules or enforce anything. Domestic is superior-to-inferior.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Peer to peer is a good way to say it

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

euphronius posted:

Peer to peer is a good way to say it

We were trying to download populism from Europe and caught a virus called fascism. In addition we got caught illegally downloading our system of racial discrimination and are being sued in the WTO court.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ooh I know now let's talk about israel's border with palestine

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leperflesh posted:

ooh I know now let's talk about israel's border with palestine

What border?

It's ALL Palestine.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Foxfire_ posted:

Compare that to domestic law where it is applied to people regardless of if they agree to it & the state:person power asymmetry allows much more targeted enforcement.

Much like the excellent enforcement of criminal activity we see at the highest levels of political and economic malfeasance in America. Thank goodness they don't get away with any of it, they might try to do it again!

The law is entirely what the people with the power to enforce it say it is domestically too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

very important to enforce UN security council resolutions, except for when they can be freely ignored for fifty years

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Naive neorealism is for edgy undergrads.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If I post pictures of my wrecked truck on SA what are the chances that opposing counsel finds them and then enters my entire posting history into the court record as evidence that the defendant was in fact doing the world a service when he tried to murder me?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bird with big dick posted:

If I post pictures of my wrecked truck on SA what are the chances that opposing counsel finds them and then enters my entire posting history into the court record as evidence that the defendant was in fact doing the world a service when he tried to murder me?

Pretty much a guarantee

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I am excited to be read into the record.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Eminent Domain posted:

I am excited to be read into the record.

If it pleases the court—and I expect it will—Exhibit A: deez nuts

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Bird with big dick

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Suppose dick with a big bird should appear and post some random accident photos?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If opposing counsel finds your pics on this dead comedy forum, PM me the lawyer’s contact information because that’s a job well done.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

euphronius posted:

International law is a legit thing yeah. It’s pretty nuanced tho and for people who grow up in a rogue white supremacist hate state it’s a little strange

:laffo:

Can I empty quote this? I had something funny about factual correctness vs political correctness, but it faded like tears in rain, and this is only politically incorrect if you live in a rogue white supremacist hate state

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Let the record show my dick is impressive and girthy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I ran into this tweet while cleaning out my bookmarks and that's an interesting question. Any takers?

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1225145117780140037

(I think the short answer to this and other related questions is that law and AI will be a very exciting field to be in for the next decade or so.)

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["hard-core Disney"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I ran into this tweet while cleaning out my bookmarks and that's an interesting question. Any takers?

(I think the short answer to this and other related questions is that law and AI will be a very exciting field to be in for the next decade or so.)

Huh?

Here let me try:

You train a human to reliably generate new 5 minute animated Disney cartoons. You sell this (the human's labor) as a product. Is the fact the human does not contain Disney intellectual property relevant, or irrelevant to infringement claims?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ultrafilter posted:

IANAL, but why would you call them Disney cartoons if you're trying to argue they aren't Disney cartoons?

I would imagine the second piece of advice an attorney would give is to not call them Disney cartoons. The first being don't post about it on the internet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Irrelevant

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I am not a lawyer, but I have done a bunch of AI. It's pretty hard to train a generative model without embedding training data (presumably copyrighted Disney images) in the finished model in a way that's fairly easy to prove.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How it’s generated is irrelevant

Disney owns the copyright on “Disney cartoons” to the extent that phrase means I guess copyrighted material

It begs the question

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Huh?

Here let me try:

You train a human to reliably generate new 5 minute animated Disney cartoons. You sell this (the human's labor) as a product. Is the fact the human does not contain Disney intellectual property relevant, or irrelevant to infringement claims?

It's closer to: you raise a human in a closed environment that makes it trivially easy to prove that they have no knowledge of Disney, and yet train them to produce Disney shorts.

Having typed that out I guess you still know about Disney though so it's still derived from it? I don't actually know anything technical about copyright law in the US but it certainly seems like you need to be actually copying a thing instead of coincidentally coming up with something similar? Assuming a fair world where Disney doesn't just stomp on things because of the massive power imbalance.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you had a million monkeys type for a million years and they, eventually, come up with “the corrections” by Jonathan Franzen you still could not sell it

Ignore the million years and the lapse of copyright

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

It seems weird to thought exercise an issue of with one of the most brand aggressive litigious companies in existence. You better be another billion dollar company backing the AI cartoon maker to even have a chance of seeing it succeed.

And it being AI seems almost irrelevant, if the product is similar enough to the brand IP that a layperson could reasonably confuse the two why would it matter the source? It's still IP infringement? I'm not sure if "what a reasonable person could conclude" is a thing in legal arguments.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 9, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

euphronius posted:

If you had a million monkeys type for a million years and they, eventually, come up with “the corrections” by Jonathan Franzen you still could not sell it

Well, in this case, if I understand the tweet, the person is selling the monkeys, not the thing they produced, and it’s up to the buyer to let them type for a million years.

But yeah, still silly, as from a software standpoint, it’s pretty akin to “I have an extremely lossy compression algorithm but not so lossy that the stuff it’s producing isn’t recognizably Disney IP.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could def sell the monkeys yes but ... they aren’t worth anything so

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean economic worth

I recognize the value of each of the million monkeys as a soul on this earth worthy of love and acceptance

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They are free monkeys on the land and their typewriters are adorned with a fringe of gold. Checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

Congress sure will! :downsrim: