Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Seems like people have legit and concrete issues with YIMBYs and you want to dismiss them as jerking-off by waving your hand and saying “ah ha, YIMBYism could mean something completely different than the way it is now.”

Like who cares that maybe theoretically YIMBYism could promote housing policies that are good when instead they’re palling around with CATO and more often than not toeing the exact developer line.

YIMBYs aren't a monolithic hive mind. Saying that that only two choices are build nothing while waiting for the revolution and the cartoon of that Chapo is drawing is absurd. You're just taking a useless policy stand for the sake of having an artificial and easily dismissed enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Weembles posted:

YIMBYs aren't a monolithic hive mind. Saying that that only two choices are build nothing while waiting for the revolution and the cartoon of that Chapo is drawing is absurd. You're just taking a useless policy stand for the sake of having an artificial and easily dismissed enemy.

Hmmm.... I wonder what time it is in Russia right now.... Comrade.....

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

T-man posted:

Hmmm.... I wonder what time it is in Russia right now.... Comrade.....

It's whatever time it is when I give myself a nosebleed trying to figure out how to argue for the possibility of supporting building granny flats while not being an Objectivist.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

YIMBYism to me basically seems like the equivalent of liberals going "If we give conservatives exactly what they want then surely they will give us something in return." except it's "If we give the real-estate companies exactly what they want then surely they will build some affordable housing in return."

Ultimately the problem with YIMBYism is that there isn't a shortage of actual physical housing in America (outside of stupid causes like the Washington monument law), there is a shortage of affordable housing which you deal with through legislation, not giving in to the desires of the real-estate companies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How Darwinian posted:

I don't know if you're just starting it, but its the best. It really will gently caress you up though, and Epstein brain may make it hit twice as hard.

I always think of Gull when liberals lazily assume that conservatives can be educated out of prejudice... I feel like that's maybe a holdover from the religious right years, where liberals assumed that conservatives were religious (and therefore stupid).

Yeah finished it but only like a week ago so I was on full Epstein brain already. Its fantastic and i highly recommend it; its basically Victorian True Detective

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Weembles posted:

you saying that wanting in-fill development in the brownfields and improved infrastructure in poorer neighborhoods as "useless" is a better argument against YIMBYism than I could have made. cheers.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

We have houses and we have people, just put the people in the houses

We don't need to set a massive population goal to do that, this isn't Civ

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i mean, she is almost always tweeting about it. it has been part of her job to tweet about it, when she worked at Tenants Together (founded by Xtreme Dean Preston, by the way, he's running for re-election right now, against the worst of market succlibs, you can make a difference by signing up to phonebank at https://www.votedean.com/, help us turn San Francisco into red Dean-enna)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

you saying that wanting in-fill development in the brownfields and improved infrastructure in poorer neighborhoods as "useless" is a better argument against YIMBYism than I could have made. cheers.

I'm saying that YIMBYs aren't against in-fill development in the brownfields and improved infrastructure in poorer neighborhoods. If you ask them, believing in the need for those two things are among the things they define themselves by and among the things that they complain about NIMBYs blocking.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Weembles posted:

yes they are

they’re all well off white people lmao

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The communities I represent care less about zoning reform than they do about land reform

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Weembles posted:

I'm saying that YIMBYs aren't against in-fill development in the brownfields and improved infrastructure in poorer neighborhoods. If you ask them, believing in the need for those two things are among the things they define themselves by and among the things that they complain about NIMBYs blocking.

shut the gently caress up and just take the L instead of trying to post through it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I Before E posted:

We have houses and we have people, just put the people in the houses

We don't need to set a massive population goal to do that, this isn't Civ
people don't want to live where there are houses

we want to live in portland/seattle/denver/nyc/downtown boston all of which have much pent-up demand of people who would want ot live there but cant afford it because there's no housing. nobody wants to live in branson and oklahoma city

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

people don't want to live where there are houses

we want to live in portland/seattle/denver/nyc/downtown boston all of which have much pent-up demand of people who would want ot live there but cant afford it because there's no housing. nobody wants to live in branson and oklahoma city

Just tell them "lol, no" and they'll fall in line.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

last year there were three times more vacant units in san francisco than there were unhoused residents

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah cities have huge amounts of vacant housing and no amount of new housing will fix that. In fact it will likely drive even more homelessness because ultimately the point of that property isn't to house people, it's to house wealth.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Doc Hawkins posted:

last year there were three times more vacant units in san francisco than there were unhoused residents
sort of, the combination of second/vacation/foreign-country investment vehicles/airbnbs/"vacant when surveyed"/on-market-but-not-rented/sold/etc put it around 33k. the best sf homeless counts put it at 17.5k.

but that's also neglecting that there's tens of thousands living sharing rooms that they'd prefer not to if they could afford it , tens of thousands priced out to antioch or stockton, hundreds of thousands that have moved out oentirely because they were priced out but would like to come back, millions across the state and midwest and south that would live here if it was truly affordable., like there's a lot of pent-up demand and the statement that "there is too much housing already we just need to give it to everyone" is not true exactly, yes country-wise that's true but also nobody wants to live in oklahoma city, and ~free market~-baed solutions is dum dumb.

to me the whole "oh no theres plenty of housing already we just need to distribute it better!" is the same thing all the dumb rear end loving white doughy wisconsinite transplant libs who plant their pudgey asses here say about homeless "well why do homeless have to live HERE?? reeeeeeeeeeeeeee why cant they just ;ive in STOCKTON? plenty of land to build shelters there!". its really loving stupid even if it's technically true on a national-level but it's also some dumb poo poo Undergrad Economics school of thought where everyone is a perfectly spherical frictionless cow and and and and idyllically lib thinking.

this also is not mentioning that there's going to be several billion climate refugees in the coming decades, many of which will be fleeing droughts, collapsing governments thanks to the USA, blown away thanks to climate change (which also thanks to USA for causing 90% of it and refusing to do anything). for gently caress sake india is about out of water and last year entie citys of 50+ million people virtually ran out of water only saved barely at the last second, which are now running out again and eventually there is not "last-minute savior". almost all the south american refugees are fleeing droughts and depleted topsoil and decaying structures all thanks to U S OF A exploiting the poo poo out of them with corps mono-culturally farming everything for some quick profits, and violence precipitated by cartels which were created by the CIA. where the gently caress are they going to live when they cant grow food anymore and cia has coup'ed all their good leaders that would have been able to setup a more sustainable country decades ago?

not that america is going to fare much better but lol

again:

Xaris posted:

the real answer is just abolishing private property and starting the California Housing Authority agency which owns its own fleet of cranes, equipment, cement and material foundries, labor force, maintenance units, and rental management all in-house and just takes over all property, tears down everything small and lovely, and builds dense 5-10 story things everywhere and leases low/no-cost for everyone but lol that ain't happening

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Sep 5, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Centrist Committee posted:

in america we have plenty of housing for everyone but no one can afford it and because liberals can't see class their only move is to double down and feed the market more empty towers

Every home owners desire is that they have the worst house on the block. They want their neighbors to all be bigger, fancier houses than them. This is irreconcilable

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't think any of this is a derail, but for people like me who find this unbearably interesting: there is an urbanism/yimby thread in d&d

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

thread in d&d

hrm

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

yeah gonna have to agree with you on this one

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

if you don't love to suffer why are you even on this site

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

just finished the trueanon episodes on the cock bros and drat, the end of the second parter is holy poo poo. i don't think ive seen brace as angry and.. for lack of better word, doompilled to such a maximum at the end of doing that.

he doesn't sound doompilled at all, he's telling it like it is

the world really is that lovely and they are that close, wonder how they did all of that?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Every home owners desire is that they have the worst house on the block. They want their neighbors to all be bigger, fancier houses than them. This is irreconcilable

The Paradoxical Burden of the Suburbanite

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

i have very limited understanding of american zoning laws, but my impression of cth's objection to YIMBY-ism is that they interpret it as a sort of deregulatory impulse - politics should retreat and let the force of nature that is the market fix it

like, they don't seem to have opinions about zoning, they just think that the doctrines of the people with opinions about zoning are weird and creepy

excuse me? sir? is there something you would like to say about deregulated zoning and how to combat that?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Victory Position posted:

he doesn't sound doompilled at all, he's telling it like it is

the world really is that lovely and they are that close, wonder how they did all of that?
it wasn't quite the right word to use there but even though hes often fired up and energized, there was a very visceral level of despair and 'doom;' to his extremely fired up energy at the end that is usually not as present.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's also hard for people in media to say that the answer is violence even though it's pretty much the last option

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
matty g wants to follow red china on population and says they'll need a solution for housing, seems like following their solution would be a a no-brainer. anyone know how they did it?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't think any of this is a derail, but for people like me who find this unbearably interesting: there is an urbanism/yimby thread in d&d

I used to post in D&D but then most of the posters I liked went to cspam and I grew out of it. Return not to the womb, for there lies oblivion.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

it wasn't quite the right word to use there but even though hes often fired up and energized, there was a very visceral level of despair and 'doom;' to his extremely fired up energy at the end that is usually not as present.

ah, I gotcha

well, it was a spoonful of sugar after all

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Nimby yimby dimby pimby simby

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

crepeface posted:

matty g wants to follow red china on population and says they'll need a solution for housing, seems like following their solution would be a a no-brainer. anyone know how they did it?

I talked with an old Vietnamese man (:rip: Julien) one time and while he had lived in America for quite a while he still extolled how social programs in Vietnam had allowed him to move between cities and get a home pretty much immediately.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

what if yimby but it stood for yes i'd id munch big yoni and it meant you were willing to give oral to trans women

this is what yimby means, actually. stop culturally appropriating trans acronyms. Weembles, disagree with this and you will be cancelled to the second degree

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Nymphomachy/status/1302034973977915394
https://twitter.com/Nymphomachy/status/1302037565084782592
https://twitter.com/Nymphomachy/status/1302041652475899905
https://twitter.com/Nymphomachy/status/1302054668835708929

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

T-man posted:

Weembles, disagree with this and you will be cancelled to the second degree

I wouldn't dream of it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
It was better when people just bitched about yuppies instead of caring about YIMBYs and NIMBYs

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

drat the think tankers don't like Blowback
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1302096614115348480?s=20

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

While I suspect that this is wildly uncharitable and/or aggressively wrong, I'm not gonna watch the video to confirm

edit:

ok i opened the thread in incognito since im blocked, and skimmed down to where they are quoting arthur chu lmao. case closed

https://twitter.com/Nymphomachy/status/1302046392807026688

Slanderer has issued a correction as of 05:57 on Sep 5, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Seconding that the last Chapo episode was funny. My favorite part is when they try to guess Yglesias' motivations and theory of change, how he might imagine some powerful person reading his book and going "this is genius, why don't we just do this!" and frictionlessly implement all the changes prescribed. What a mind.

Afterwards it was fun to go on Twitter and see the insane ways the episode got translated into Problematic by the brains of hate listeners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Doc Hawkins posted:

if you don't love to suffer why are you even on this site

is there a way to make this the title for the whole forums

e: i'll make the wiki and send the link to jeffrey