Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Lemme know if my starting characters are okay for going through the game without too much trouble!

1: Sniper type dude. 8 coord, 5 int, 4 char. +5% crit chance, poindexter.

2: Explosives chick: 6 coord, 2 awareness, 4 strength, 5 speed, 2 int. +15% explosives dmg, waste roamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Depending on your difficulty, those will work fine, but:

Coord 4 is enough on a starting sniper if you're not doing shenanigans to get two shots per turn, max Int and Awa first. I also think the Waste roamer quirk is kinda poo poo, status effects are annoying but I've not found them enough of a deal that I'd give up 15% xp, levelling up quickly helps a ton in staying on top or above the expected level curve for difficulty checks and 15% will probably put that character consistently below it.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 5, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Those guys look fine. You probably do want a decent amount of awareness on a sniper because missing shots are much more punishing for them but you can fill that in later but if you're going pointdexter you also need to get to 4 strength asap because otherwise you don't get any more CON on levelup.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks, Autsj and Nephthys.

Are there any quirks worth taking then?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Lone wolf on a character with leader is usually very good.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
has anyone done an evasion tanking build and if so does it work

I think I'm nearing the end on my current playthrough, for a SJ run I'm thinking of doing like, pure glass cannon build and stack enough -% to hit to keep my guys alive while I'm digging for crit headshots

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

terrorist ambulance posted:

has anyone done an evasion tanking build and if so does it work

I think I'm nearing the end on my current playthrough, for a SJ run I'm thinking of doing like, pure glass cannon build and stack enough -% to hit to keep my guys alive while I'm digging for crit headshots

Evasion tanking can absolutely work, but you kind of need it on everyone you're exposing to fire because the AI's targeting is kind of random. Having one dude juiced up on super evasion doesn't help when the AI shoots the people who aren't.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Thanks, Autsj and Nephthys.

Are there any quirks worth taking then?

Pointdexter is totally fine, just gotta mind that Con and have your nerd pump some iron. Like people said Lone Wolf is kinda a freebie on your leader, though initiative is a little lacking in itself. Pop Bag gives you a character that'll tank the early game for you. Serial Killer is pretty nice. Death Wish and Sadomasochist are kinda glass cannon sniper perks either for multiple shots or one shot kills. Not sure on the benefit of Prospector but money can be tricky to come by early and giving up a quick item slot is no biggie for non tech/non medic characters (if at all, really).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Sadomasochist is basically perfect on a sniper, forgot about that one.

Don't put Death Wish on your melee guy. That's a mistake I'm having to live with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Death Wish is a bad perk in general, most mid-late game armor has way more benefits than it gives.

Medical Marvel can be really good for a tanky meleer

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Medical Marvel and the heaviest armor possible for a melee guy feels so good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I recruited Ananda before doing Unwelcome Guests. Am I softlocked now?

I also recruited the mechanic inside the Bazaar, but he doesn't seem to 'count' for the purposes of fulfilling my staffing requirements.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 5, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've found my high hp "tanky" guys still get smoked by energy weapons. I guess you can mod your poo poo to reduce that effect a bit but

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I recruited Ananda before doing Unwelcome Guests. Am I softlocked now?
uh, why would you be?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Zore posted:

Death Wish is a bad perk in general, most mid-late game armor has way more benefits than it gives.

Medical Marvel can be really good for a tanky meleer

Wasn't Medical Marvel bugged? If that's been patched then yes, pretty solid.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

uh, why would you be?

The only guy I can find to with a dialogue option about refugees told me to go speak to Ananda, and Ananda doesn't have a refugee dialogue option now he's moved to my base.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Lone Badger posted:

The only guy I can find to with a dialogue option about refugees told me to go speak to Ananda, and Ananda doesn't have a refugee dialogue option now he's moved to my base.

He just tells you where they are. Explore around a bit

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
jodie bell should get promotions. in my game she's taken down a scorpitron in one marked crit CPU shot, but is still private jodie bell, driver.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've managed to find some level 8 and 9 small arms and automatic weapons, and even a level 10 explosive tactical nuke launcher, but nothing for my Big Guns character since picking up the Light Support Weapon, which is falling off hard. Any places that reliably sell those because my vendor at base and the ones in Denver aren't hacking it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Death Wish is extremely good, but pretty much only on a sniper who you are never, ever going to position anywhere near the enemy. 14 reliable AP is a fantastic tool, though - mark -> shoot -> shoot in one turn, or move -> shoot -> shoot is extremely strong. You can replicate the effect with some later game items but Death Wish will get you there almost out of the gate and lets you put those items on other people.

Anyone who is going to be in a position where they can get reliably shot is just gonna die constantly with DW, though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

marshmallow creep posted:

I've managed to find some level 8 and 9 small arms and automatic weapons, and even a level 10 explosive tactical nuke launcher, but nothing for my Big Guns character since picking up the Light Support Weapon, which is falling off hard. Any places that reliably sell those because my vendor at base and the ones in Denver aren't hacking it.

It felt like I was using that LSW for way too long. Eventually I came across a unique heavy MG that used exploding .50 ammo and that lasted a few battles until I grabbed a minigun.

I think that's one weird problem I had with the game. Weapon balance and acquisition felt... off? I snagged one couple neutron projector before (or during?) Denver. I know I had it for the final battle there at least. Got another for Jodi not long after, definitely prior to Aspen. Those two rifles lasted me literally to the end. Well, except Jodi, she got whatever the final .50 rifle is from the vendorbot two fights from the end of the game. My shotgunner got an auto shotgun that did a max of 140x3 damage somewhere between Denver and Aspen, kept it all the way until the end. Meanwhile my SMG user and Lucia cycled through stuff like water, but that's only because I missed buying a spike shooting revolver that I didn't get another chance at until after Aspen.

The main thing was all of these weapons being like skill 7, I assumed there'd be something better so I never upgraded them. Had I known I'd keep some for literally half the game I might've used some of my billion upgrades. I felt like I was on a pretty good rhythm getting new equipment in W2, but its been a while since I've played that

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Quick Wasteland 2 question:

Can I return back to AG Centre to properly loot everything after I resolved the situation there? Reason is I want my Safecracking/Lockpicking expert to be the drunkard at Rail place, so I'm wondering whether there'll be unreachable chests there or not if I come back later.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
How much a difference does Poindexter make? I’m trying to decide if the extra 0.5 skill points per level really matters. I do like having skills.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

srulz posted:

Quick Wasteland 2 question:

Can I return back to AG Centre to properly loot everything after I resolved the situation there? Reason is I want my Safecracking/Lockpicking expert to be the drunkard at Rail place, so I'm wondering whether there'll be unreachable chests there or not if I come back later.

If you leave after you do everything it should be fine, if you leave before that everything's hosed.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

doingitwrong posted:

How much a difference does Poindexter make? I’m trying to decide if the extra 0.5 skill points per level really matters. I do like having skills.

It's hard to say, but I do like having it on my leadership/lockpicking/hacking guy regardless because this game likes to high-ball its skill requirements. The Bizarre is relatively early in the game but it already has 7 Lockpick and 6 Nerd Stuff checks. And there are no other good perks for a skill monkey type character anyway.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I completed the game

I was unsure about the Patriarch the whole game but ultimately ended up siding with him.

Angela Deths plan was stupid without having a decent person as leader and lets face it all of the Patriarchs kids are flawed in one way or the other. Colorado would be plunged into war

I was hoping I could build good alliances and at the very end turn on the Patriarch and take over myself. Then supplies could be sent back to Arizona.

But Deth turning half of my rangers against me just for sticking to Woodsons plan just seemed nuts, I guess she has just gone mental

Interested playing through the game again

itry
Aug 23, 2019

marshmallow creep posted:

There's a high chance of cool stuff in an encounter on the world map. Look for a giant scorpion robot walking around. I think there are four of them.
Before you engage make sure you have 6+ sneaky poo poo in your party.

As for selling... it's gated behind story progression. Although if you have the nuke you should have most of it already.
The (Denver) machine collective has some good stuff (Human Outreach shop).
Also there are world map sellers in high radiation zones. You'll need to do a quest for someone name Morningstar to get in there though.

Edit:

blizzardvizard posted:

It's hard to say, but I do like having it on my leadership/lockpicking/hacking guy regardless because this game likes to high-ball its skill requirements. The Bizarre is relatively early in the game but it already has 7 Lockpick and 6 Nerd Stuff checks. And there are no other good perks for a skill monkey type character anyway.

I think they expect people to revisit those areas.

VoLaTiLe posted:

I completed the game

I was unsure about the Patriarch the whole game but ultimately ended up siding with him.

Angela Deths plan was stupid without having a decent person as leader and lets face it all of the Patriarchs kids are flawed in one way or the other. Colorado would be plunged into war

I was hoping I could build good alliances and at the very end turn on the Patriarch and take over myself. Then supplies could be sent back to Arizona.

But Deth turning half of my rangers against me just for sticking to Woodsons plan just seemed nuts, I guess she has just gone mental

Interested playing through the game again

Flawed is an understatement.

itry fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 5, 2020

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

terrorist ambulance posted:

jodie bell should get promotions. in my game she's taken down a scorpitron in one marked crit CPU shot, but is still private jodie bell, driver.

Maybe she just can't beat the written exam portion of the promotion process :vince:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

Depends on the difficulty, definitely not worth it on the highest one. Characters with average hp will often die in one or two shots, but squishy characters will ALWAYS go down when they get shot at after the early game. Might go better on easy or normal.

If you want to make the most out of your skills :

Lockpicking usually has the highest requirements, and putting lockpicking on a 10 charisma unit will let them stay above the curve since they'll get a ton of extra xp.
The other skills you'll often see are nerd stuff, explosives and mechanics. Consider making an explosives + mechanics dude who just opens up with a rocket then summons turrets for harder fights. Sneaky poo poo also works really well with explosives for enormous alpha strikes.
Toaster repair and weird science go quite well with automatic weapons (SMG), and SMGs are very good once you convert them to fire damage. Don't go for assault rifles though, they're awful past the first 2 hours of the game.
The level 7 barter perk gives you literally infinite money, and money is important in this game. If you don't want to exploit that particular perk, barter still has a decent amount of skill checks and a good impact on your wallet.
Animal whisperer goes well on your sniper who should be far enough from the action to keep the pet relatively safe.
Survival only has a handful of interactions and can honestly be ignored unless you really hate random encounters on the world map.
Weapon/Armor modding are fantastic, but you can put both of those on a fifth ranger you'll keep at base and just head back to HQ when you find a really good weapon you want to kit out. Too cheesy for me, but that's the best way to do it.
First aid is legitimately strong, especially on supreme jerk where people drop like fly. It's strong enough to make a dedicated healer without any weapon skill worth it. If you do that, that character can then invest in leadership and get the revive bonus. Could also flesh out that support with smoke grenades or mechanics so they can drop turrets.
Kiss rear end was more useful to me than hard rear end, but maybe it's just because I'm too much of a boy scout in those games.

Point is, you can easily get away with a full support character in your team because there's only so much murdering you can do, so don't be too worried. Lockpicking, mechanics, kiss rear end and nerd stuff are the skills you want to get as high as possible asap, and explosives if you don't want to disarm mines with your face.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 5, 2020

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you just have to hit the escape key and then select manage squad to change rangers for upgrading weapons and armour in the field, no need to head back to hq

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Well I sure wish I'd noticed that. That'll come in handy if I do another playthrough, thanks.
So yeah, modding mules are probably a great idea then.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eraflure posted:

The level 7 barter perk gives you literally infinite money, and money is important in this game.

They patched it. It's still money, but not infinite money any more.

\/\/ It's now a 50x multiplier not 500x.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 5, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Awwwww how'd they nerf fix it?

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Defiance Industries posted:

If you leave after you do everything it should be fine, if you leave before that everything's hosed.

Ok thanks.

Is "Spiked Collar" a random drop BTW, or fixed? I'm wondering if it's possible for me to farm up the 2 Cha needed to get Scotchmo without Rose yet. If my calculations are correct, I can get him with Angela & all 1 Cha party & Ralphy + 2 Spiked Collars.

upgunned shitpost posted:

you just have to hit the escape key and then select manage squad to change rangers for upgrading weapons and armour in the field, no need to head back to hq

BTW I've heard that it's possible to just create new character if you want to respec in WL3. Is this accessible in the field with this Manage Squad option as well? Then it's actually possible to create a "skill mule" hah.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

srulz posted:

BTW I've heard that it's possible to just create new character if you want to respec in WL3. Is this accessible in the field with this Manage Squad option as well? Then it's actually possible to create a "skill mule" hah.

No. The manage squad in the field only lets you reorder, adding and removing must be done at the base.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Eraflure posted:

Weapon/Armor modding are fantastic, but you can put both of those on a fifth ranger you'll keep at base and just head back to HQ when you find a really good weapon you want to kit out. Too cheesy for me, but that's the best way to do it.

I also thought about having a dedicated Toaster Repair ranger that I'd just go back to base and retrieve when I needed a toaster fixed. I need to 'respect' one of my rangers with redundant armor modding to not have armor modding but I'm lazy. Also most of my rangers have too much intelligence because I thought INT was better than it is.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

The capstone perk for Armor Modding is actually pretty good. (+5 Armor to everyone) I'm probably gonna keep Kwon in the companion slot to endgame so I stuck it on him (and it also complements Lucia's Weapon Modding)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Quick kinda spoilery question about a future companion: What weapon perks is Vic Buchanan specced in? I know he has a lot of points in Big Guns and Small Arms, but is he using shotguns or pistols, flamethrowers or machineguns

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Ha, it was a short ending but it was everything I hoped it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

I ended up at around level 25-27 for my party, so it basically gives you another maxed out skill on that character - everyone else had 3 skills maxed with a few points left over, the pointdexter guy was at 4. Useful, but not really a game changer and it does have the somewhat hidden extra cost of requiring more investment into strength.