Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The lake district is very nice, sort of like fjords, very very up and down, the whole thing is basically a network of valleys and rivers and lakes, also in my experience it rains constantly there, except when it snows.

I spent 5 days there around Easter on a Geography field trip for school, and the weather was just hilariously awful.

Rain, snow, hail, and I mean "Oh what's that fog over....that's too fast to be fog....oh gently caress! IT'S HEAVY HAIL.THERE'S NO SHELTER. OW! I HATE THIS PLACE"

Another highlight was when we messing around with what we were told before getting there was a low escarpment with a small waterfall into a stream, which on the day was a raging torrent that had burst it's banks. We all got soaking wet, then had to walk miles back to the coach, with a howling gale in our faces the whole way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The Lake District is a wonderful place for birds and other wildlife 10 months of the year, and for about 2 months it's nice for humans to visit too.

Easter is not one of them.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 09:52 on Sep 5, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Even more annoyingly, in the prep before we went, they'd shown us pictures from the class trip from the previous year.

Glorious bloody sunshine in every shot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Another highlight was when we messing around with what we were told before getting there was a low escarpment with a small waterfall into a stream, which on the day was a raging torrent that had burst it's banks.

Yeah it does that, one of the side effects of being 100% valleys and rain is that every surface basically turns into a river which then runs down into the big river at the bottom of the valley.

I should point out that I don't consider this a point against the lake district, you just have to treat it like a permanent underwater holiday. You're never going to be dry if you go there and the sooner you accept that the happier you will be.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah it does that, one of the side effects of being 100% valleys and rain is that every surface basically turns into a river which then runs down into the big river at the bottom of the valley.

I should point out that I don't consider this a point against the lake district, you just have to treat it like a permanent underwater holiday. You're never going to be dry if you go there and the sooner you accept that the happier you will be.

At least rain keeps the midges down - silver linings and all that.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I would generally suggest you probably don't know, for that reason.

Unless you're some kind of aristo freak who cares about that kind of thing you probably don't know poo poo about where or who you were descended from. For all I know my mam popped out of a hole in the ground somewhere in the town I live in.

The obsession with ancestry is, as far as I know, a bizzare american thing. Especially the obsession with claiming you're "half german/italian/norwegian" when your parents were american and so were their parents.

Well, some of us UKers developed a sudden interest when we remembered an Irish grandparent would get us an Irish passport.

Unfortunately looks like mum's parents weren't actually born in Ireland dammit mum.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Runcible Cat posted:

Well, some of us UKers developed a sudden interest when we remembered an Irish grandparent would get us an Irish passport.

Unfortunately looks like mum's parents weren't actually born in Ireland dammit mum.

You've just reminded me of when John Hurt went on Who Do You Think You Are? and said at the start that his family had come from Ireland a few generations back, and how he'd always felt a great connection to the country, from the very first time he set foot in it. Then they did the research and it showed that not only was his family 100% english as far back as they could trace, but that his great-grandfather was an absolutely tremendous liar. Poor John Hurt was very disappointed :(

Also sorry about your passport troubles :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

He still lives in LA right? How loving angry and depressed do you think he gets every time he drives past a Jimmy Kimmel billboard?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pookah posted:

You've just reminded me of when John Hurt went on Who Do You Think You Are? and said at the start that his family had come from Ireland a few generations back, and how he'd always felt a great connection to the country, from the very first time he set foot in it. Then they did the research and it showed that not only was his family 100% english as far back as they could trace, but that his great-grandfather was an absolutely tremendous liar. Poor John Hurt was very disappointed :(

Also sorry about your passport troubles :smith:

It loving kills me that people lost their jobs on that show because Ben Affleck didn't want people to know some of his ancestors were slave owners.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Skwirl posted:

It loving kills me that people lost their jobs on that show because Ben Affleck didn't want people to know some of his ancestors were slave owners.

What an absolute dick. I just googled that and he wanted the information surpressed because he was ashamed and embarassed? Hey Ben, it'd be a lot more decent to face your own family history, since it's the kind of thing that proobably contributed to how America developed as a country. Or just pretend the bad stuff didn't happen because you think its icky.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pookah posted:

What an absolute dick. I just googled that and he wanted the information surpressed because he was ashamed and embarassed? Hey Ben, it'd be a lot more decent to face your own family history, since it's the kind of thing that proobably contributed to how America developed as a country. Or just pretend the bad stuff didn't happen because you think its icky.

I suspect it's because he's so loving Boston and Massachusetts was a free state since the inception of the country. Anderson Cooper had slave owning ancestors and his response was "holy poo poo, that's hosed up" and they showed that response on television.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

grittyreboot posted:

Lots of people's families immigrated here within living memory and if not they probably had a grandparent/ great grandparent who did. It's not considered progressive to expect them to shelve those cultural practices they inherited. What's truly hosed up is how many people chanting "build the wall" are currently angry about all the Oktoberfests across the country being cancelled.

A normal person: "My grandmother moved here from Ireland."

An American: "I'm Irish."

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Tiggum posted:

A normal person: "My grandmother moved here from Ireland."

An American: "I'm Irish."
What is it about Americans that makes so many of them weebs but for Ireland?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
ThE iRiSh WeRe SlAvEs ToO

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Question Mark Mound posted:

Loads and loads of immigration from Ireland = a hundred billion irish-born grannies and grandas convincing their impressionable descendants that Ireland is a magical fairyland brimful with mists, legends and pubs. Plus it's a lot easier to keep up with Irish stuff from America because of the speaking the same language thing. I'd say it's a lot harder to feel connected to your czech heritage if you haven't a word of hungarian.

(Also decades of v. good marketing by Bord Fáilte)

Yeah, it's this:

Pookah has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Sep 5, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

potato lust

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

They've become the default Good Ones immigrant story for conservative assholes who think that if people would just come in the right way and bootstrap their way to success then no one would have a problem with immigration. See also Italians (German's got kicked out of the club for being the enemy in two wars.)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Additionally Historic.ly has straight up used NazBol sources and is generally a monumental source of turdery so this is like vomit insulting a diarrheatic slurry.

https://twitter.com/BirdsEnthusiast/status/1302066554159284225?s=20

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

For this recipe, you will need one medium onion, or six to eight whole bulbs of garlic.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Elviscat posted:

I got to travel to Poland, and see the birth records for my great-grandparents at the Chapel in their little town, those records, incidentally, had been buried for several years to help hide the genealogy of local Jews from the Nazis, then they were dug up and lovingly restored in the 50s. That was pretty cool.

The other half of my family lived in the original 13 colonies, and genealogy is just useless beyond "came from the British isles, mostly, kinda"

It depends on the sutuation I’d say! I’m from Poland myself, but my dad’s branch of family lived in Prussia, which later became Poland, and my mom’s in Poland, which later became Belarus. And that only became possible to describe like that after Poland came back into existence after WW1 where they probably figured as citizens of the respective occupying force. Both possible sources of records were burned to the ground or airbombed. All that’s left was the word of mouth of my grandparents which are all dead now.

In contrast, the US and the UK never really went through multiple wars and border changes. You could be from a region and have that region just be itself rather than five different countries with various ideas on how to keep books

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

theironjef posted:

Maybe he's going to expand on this thought:
https://twitter.com/adamcarolla/status/1293773434753753088?s=20

I mean, I sure hope so.

This needs that dasharezone about soup.

gently caress soup.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spud fever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder if he's trying to allude to that Simpsons bit about George HW Bush being a weird out-of-touch old man by trying to order stew in the Krusty Burger drive-thru

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I just think they're neat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The reason you see so many white americans claiming certain ethnicities (everyone’s irish but practically no one cares about being english for example) is that those ethnicities actually mattered not that long ago and families don’t just immediately forget it because the current generation is generic white. Irish, german, and italian are gonna be the biggest examples. My best friend in high school lived with an irish grandma who still had her accent, for instance. There’s still loads of people alive whose parents and grandparents spoke german at home and read german language newspapers before the wars.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Make it Tayto Lust and maybe I can empathise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The reason you see so many white americans claiming certain ethnicities (everyone’s irish but practically no one cares about being english for example) is that those ethnicities actually mattered not that long ago and families don’t just immediately forget it because the current generation is generic white. Irish, german, and italian are gonna be the biggest examples. My best friend in high school lived with an irish grandma who still had her accent, for instance. There’s still loads of people alive whose parents and grandparents spoke german at home and read german language newspapers before the wars.
You do know it's 2020 and not 1980, right?

"The Wars" are both about a full century old now. The people who read those newspapers are either dead or extremely elderly.

Exceptions will always abound, but most US white kids claim they're Irish or Italian or w/e because they're going "me too" after seeing their black, Latin, Native, and Asian friends get five extra minutes of "see kids this classmate is from another culture" every so often in elementary school.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

dialhforhero posted:

gently caress soup.

Gumbo is amazing though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mind the walrus posted:

"The Wars" are both about a full century old now. The people who read those newspapers are either dead or extremely elderly.

yes, that’s why op said that it was the parents and grandparents of living people who read the German papers, I believe

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dialhforhero posted:

gently caress soup.

Bonus:

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

people are still obsessed with ethnicities, although maybe that’s changed in the past ten years. source: me, who grew up identifying herself as full blooded asian only for people to keep asking me what i really was. years later my mom admitted to me that i’m actually mixed and was the result of an affair.

i still identify myself as asian but the amount of people - a lot of them complete strangers - who asked why i look so white or which one of my parents is the asian one is shockingly high.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I'm half mexican but for some reason all my dads melanin skipped me and went to my brother so I've always been in a confused position as far as to what I "am". No doubt that I'm my dad's daughter, my bone structure/facial features are 100% his, but being a weird mutt in a country so obsessed with race is a strange experience. I always have this weird feeling like i need to categorize myself, but in a way other people will accept? Saying I'm white feels weird because I'm like a recolor of my dad, but i have pale skin and auburn hair so idk. Being american is weird.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah it tipped me off that he was actually just a dumbass when he started doing poo poo like teen mom

they both so transparently let money go to their heads, they don't have an ounce of self awareness or dignity between them

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Bismuth posted:

I'm half mexican but for some reason all my dads melanin skipped me and went to my brother so I've always been in a confused position as far as to what I "am". No doubt that I'm my dad's daughter, my bone structure/facial features are 100% his, but being a weird mutt in a country so obsessed with race is a strange experience. I always have this weird feeling like i need to categorize myself, but in a way other people will accept? Saying I'm white feels weird because I'm like a recolor of my dad, but i have pale skin and auburn hair so idk. Being american is weird.

You've been here for 10 years, you're now more Goon than anything else. I'm sorry.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Desert Bus posted:

You've been here for 10 years, you're now more Goon than anything else. I'm sorry.

No no, that's a definite answer, Ill take it. Better than just answering "im gay"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/LLinWood/status/1301871454686937088

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.
12 year old Mark Zuckerberg knew what was up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Comments suggest he's trying to make an allegory between Richard Jewell and Kyle Rittenhouse, which is also stupid, but for different reasons than how stupid it initially appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My grandpa loves to tell stories about how his grandfather immigrated from Germany and never learned a word of English.

He also loves to complain about how Latin and Muslim immigrants aren't assimilating :psyduck: