Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
American Apparel cotton tees are loving awesome and soft as gently caress after years of washing.
link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I like uniqlo's basic tees a lot too.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

FCKGW posted:

What's a good quality t-shirt? Like what brand or whatever should I be looking for? I used to buy some cheap plain tees at Old Navy that I really liked but they don't make them anymore and the ones I can find are too heavy? if that makes any sense.

I want want some nice, plain, soft tees.

At the Michael's craft store down the street they have plain colored t-shirts for like five bucks each. They're probably low quality and are boring, but these shirts fit perfectly and have lasted me at least a year so they're already twice as good as the last t-shirt I bought elsewhere.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

alnilam posted:

I've heard these are good but I've also heard that they aren't cut for the average pudgy american like myself

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I wanted to ask this at Reddit's "explain like I'm 5" forum, but the last three times I've tried to ask a physics question, something or someone flags it saying I'm not seeking an objective answer. It's loving physics, I'm not asking for someone's opinion goddammit. So anyway, I'll just ask here.

Why is it that wind / air cools you down? Like, I'm standing here in front of a fan and the fan is blowing all this air at me, normally warm air, but the air becomes cool and cools me off. But why does it cool me down instead of heat me up? Isn't that air hitting me causing friction, and therefore shouldn't it get hotter?

VVVV Wow, thanks for that! I have been meaning to ask this question for like twenty years. But now that I know... what mysteries are left? VVVV

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 5, 2020

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Evaporation and Bernoulli's principle. As air is pushed by the fan, it creates a minor low pressure zone (high pressure zones create low pressure zones as they move). This low pressure zone pulls away hot air, and causes another low pressure zone right on top of your skin that makes water evaporate. Because the state change from liquid to vapor requires molecular kinetic energy (aka heat), you feel cooler when it evaporates.

It's basically just the cooling effect caused by sweat, but faster because of the low pressure zone created by the air current.

Bonus fun fact 1: Bernoulli's principle also explains how your vocal cords/folds create the sound of your voice. When they are pulled taut, they are elastic and stretchy. As air passes through your epiglotis, it pulls the folds together, causing a high pressure zone to build up behind the folds. As that denser portion of air passes, it causes the folds to be pushed back, creating a low pressure zone that pulls them taut again, and the cycle repeats. The sound of a voice is that process happening hundreds of times per second.

Bonus fun fact 2: Bernoulli's principle is also how airplane wings generate lift. The shape of the wing forces air to move slower below it (high pressure), and faster above it (high pressure). The pressure differential generates lift as the wing is pushed by the high pressure zone into the low pressure zone.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 5, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

alnilam posted:

I find uniqlo's basic t-shirts to be very very well made but they're a much heavier cloth than things like Gildan or American Apparel. They're great winter undershirts but not so much for hot days.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

everlane shirts are pretty solid.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FCKGW posted:

I've heard these are good but I've also heard that they aren't cut for the average pudgy american like myself

I like them an I am somewhat pudgy myself. I agree they are heavier cloth than other tshirts.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Does anyone have the old Action Park threads?

People are talking about the Class Action Park doco, but I remember it from here.

Would love to re-read some

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

When using a push mower, is it ok to turn the mower while the blades are spinning?

I'm used to cutting in straight rows, and on my riding mower I could just disengage the blades to line up the mower. On my push mower, I don't see a way to disengage the blades from spinning. This means if I get to the end of the row, I have to either turn the whole thing off and restart it, go backwards, or awkwardly turn the whole thing while the blades are spinning.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've never had any problem keeping the blade running while turning the mower.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Bioshuffle posted:

When using a push mower, is it ok to turn the mower while the blades are spinning?

I'm used to cutting in straight rows, and on my riding mower I could just disengage the blades to line up the mower. On my push mower, I don't see a way to disengage the blades from spinning. This means if I get to the end of the row, I have to either turn the whole thing off and restart it, go backwards, or awkwardly turn the whole thing while the blades are spinning.

Fine.

As long as you don't chop off any stray appendage in the process.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bioshuffle posted:

Just tilt it on its hind wheels and turn it the required amount.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What's up with handleless paper bags? Trader Joe's has had these for the past month due to supply chain issues. No reusable bags allowed, and no handled paper or plastic avail.

I fought through this for a while assuming I was doing something wrong, but now am leaning towards there being no elegant solution... Like blister packs. Is it just bad / comsumer-hostile design? Were they designed for garage owners, where it's a few steps between car and kitchen?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tenik posted:

Bonus fun fact 2: Bernoulli's principle is also how airplane wings generate lift. The shape of the wing forces air to move slower below it (high pressure), and faster above it (high pressure). The pressure differential generates lift as the wing is pushed by the high pressure zone into the low pressure zone.

I've heard that's not true, or at least not entirely, as if it were due to the wing shape than fighter jets wouldn't be able to fly upside down but in real life they can.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bernoulli's is responsible for some lift, but the reality is that there's a poo poo ton of different complicated physical interactions going on to get and keep planes in the air.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

regulargonzalez posted:

I've heard that's not true, or at least not entirely, as if it were due to the wing shape than fighter jets wouldn't be able to fly upside down but in real life they can.

The last time I googled about it I think the main gripe is people using the “equal transit theory” as a misapprehension of the pressure differential. It’s not that it takes air the same amount of time to cross the upper and lower surfaces.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dominoes posted:

What's up with handleless paper bags? Trader Joe's has had these for the past month due to supply chain issues. No reusable bags allowed, and no handled paper or plastic avail.

I fought through this for a while assuming I was doing something wrong, but now am leaning towards there being no elegant solution... Like blister packs. Is it just bad / comsumer-hostile design? Were they designed for garage owners, where it's a few steps between car and kitchen?

How old are you? Up until I’d say mid 90s or so, handle less paper bags were the only option in grocery stores. Showing your neighbors how strong you were by carrying in all your groceries at once simply wasn’t an option.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Mid 30s. I'd been vaguely aware of them as a common option, but had never used them, or seen anyone use them. Another possibility: I have a recollection of people in big cities in the 90s (Eg NYC) going on daily grocery runs where they'd buy a day or 2 of groceries, or carry them to their apartments using a cart. The penalties wouldn't be that bad for those cases. More simply, I suspect it was designed as "How can we cheaply manufacture a bag that holds things" without considering how they'd be used.

Going to start bringing a cooler/large box to keep in the car, or buy reusable ones each time (You just can't reuse them) until this blows over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

credburn posted:

Why is it that wind / air cools you down? Like, I'm standing here in front of a fan and the fan is blowing all this air at me, normally warm air, but the air becomes cool and cools me off. But why does it cool me down instead of heat me up? Isn't that air hitting me causing friction, and therefore shouldn't it get hotter?

Moving air tends to bring objects to the temperature of the air, whether that is higher or lower than the temperature of the object.

You are a warm‐blooded animal, and you are generally hotter than the air, so a breeze cools you down. If you aim a fan at an ice cube, it will warm up.

Your body heats the air in contact with it. If the air is still, warm air can only move away form you via diffusion. This is a slow process. So now you are surrounded by an aura of slightly warmer air, and energy transfer from your body to the air slows.

When the air is moving, this warm aura is stripped away and replaced with fresh, cool air.

Think of opening a bottle of perfume in the middle of a room. It takes time for the fragrant particles to move to the outside of the room. If there is a fan, the scent spreads faster.

When your surroundings are hotter than you are, you sweat. The evaporation of your sweat cools your body. Evaporation slows as the humidity of the air climbs. When people appreciate “a dry heat”, this is why. Sweating is less effective in humid air.

Sweat evaporates faster with air movement not because of the Bernoulli effect, which is very small at pedestrian air speeds, but because the breeze moves the invisible cloud humid air created by your own sweat away from you and replaces it with drier air.

Remember when I said that “moving air tends to bring objects to the temperature of the air”? If air is both extremely dry and extremely hot, fans are counterproductive. Your sweat is cooling you and the air immediately around you. The fan replaces this with hotter, drier air. The hot part is bad, and the dry part isn’t really making up for it because the air was already dry enough for your sweat to evaporate plenty fast.

If the air is extremely hot and extremely humid, you die. Humans can’t survive indefinitely, at, for example, air temperature of thirty‐eight centigrade (one hundred Fahrenheit) and eighty percent relative humidity. You have to get somewhere that is cooler and/or drier. Fortunately, such conditions are rare

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Moving air tends to bring objects to the temperature of the air, whether that is higher or lower than the temperature of the object.

You are a warm‐blooded animal, and you are generally hotter than the air, so a breeze cools you down. If you aim a fan at an ice cube, it will warm up.

Your body heats the air in contact with it. If the air is still, warm air can only move away form you via diffusion. This is a slow process. So now you are surrounded by an aura of slightly warmer air, and energy transfer from your body to the air slows.

When the air is moving, this warm aura is stripped away and replaced with fresh, cool air.

Think of opening a bottle of perfume in the middle of a room. It takes time for the fragrant particles to move to the outside of the room. If there is a fan, the scent spreads faster.

When your surroundings are hotter than you are, you sweat. The evaporation of your sweat cools your body. Evaporation slows as the humidity of the air climbs. When people appreciate “a dry heat”, this is why. Sweating is less effective in humid air.

Sweat evaporates faster with air movement not because of the Bernoulli effect, which is very small at pedestrian air speeds, but because the breeze moves the invisible cloud humid air created by your own sweat away from you and replaces it with drier air.

Remember when I said that “moving air tends to bring objects to the temperature of the air”? If air is both extremely dry and extremely hot, fans are counterproductive. Your sweat is cooling you and the air immediately around you. The fan replaces this with hotter, drier air. The hot part is bad, and the dry part isn’t really making up for it because the air was already dry enough for your sweat to evaporate plenty fast.

If the air is extremely hot and extremely humid, you die. Humans can’t survive indefinitely, at, for example, air temperature of thirty‐eight centigrade (one hundred Fahrenheit) and eighty percent relative humidity. You have to get somewhere that is cooler and/or drier. Fortunately, such conditions are rare

This is much more accurate than the Bernoulli answer. A few small things though:

"If the air is still, warm air can only move away form you via diffusion." The heat from the warm air moves away from you by conduction (slow in air) and natural convection (warm air rising creates movement). But the point is that both of these are way slower than the air movement of a fan (forced convection).

The other thing is that it has less to do with sweat than everyone is saying, although that's part of it. You think you perceive temperature, but actually you perceive the rate at which heat is leaving (or entering) your body. Temperature is a big part of that but there are other things that affect the rate of heat transfer, like air flow. This is why wind chill is a thing, for example.

So if you're sitting in 85 degree air it feels hot. Believe it or not heat is still leaving your body though - heat always flows to lower temperature, so until the air gets to 98.6 F you are losing heat, just not as fast as you would like to be (your body makes heat and needs to lose it), so it feels hot. The fan is blowing 85 degree air at you and it feels cooler. This would be true even in the absence of sweating because the moving 85 degree air ferries heat away from your body faster.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Using paper handles on a paper bag is pretty poo poo, but I assume it’s the only cost effective paper solution. Maybe in the 50s-80s it wasn’t considered worthwhile to add handles that just ripped out.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Dominoes posted:

Going to start bringing a cooler/large box to keep in the car, or buy reusable ones each time (You just can't reuse them) until this blows over.

Tote bags. I dont know how far you travel from shop to home but coolers and such probably isn't needed

I live in a country with only re-useable shopping bags, it was a conservative idiot fuss for a bit, but that was over in a few months.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 5, 2020

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Go shame your non-reusable bag grocery store for hating the environment and use your re-usable bags anyway.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The concern is about fomites in the midst of covid-almost all stores are suspending their use

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah, even San Francisco is like “hmm maybe disposable bags are the lesser of two evils at the moment”.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Methanar posted:

Go shame your non-reusable bag grocery store for hating the environment and use your re-usable bags anyway.

It’s a pandemic thing.

Where I am we can use our reusable bags again, but when we couldn’t, I would just get paper and then put the bags in my bag for ease of carrying.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

A Grand Egg posted:

Tote bags. I dont know how far you travel from shop to home but coolers and such probably isn't needed

I live in a country with only re-useable shopping bags, it was a conservative idiot fuss for a bit, but that was over in a few months.

That's a great idea! Time to show some adaptability.

This is in SE USA. Don't know if it's a state, or store policy, but confirming it's a COVID thing.

Joe's never had plastic, but the handled-paper were fine if double-bagged, until they ran out. Reusable ones far better, but no-go.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 5, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are there any sites/stores that have a waiting list for Nintendo switches? I want one, but most of what I see are "notify me when available" or pay insanely marked up prices. I'd like to get one at retail price, even if I have to wait a few months to do so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My way around the home bag ban has been similar to the poster with the paper bag -> reusable bag solution. I just carry the bags in a backpack and then pay for my stuff and carry the goods outside and bag them there. Nobody seems to have a problem with this and it seems like transfer to the store’s stuff would be pretty elaborate this way.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
"American's love paper bags without handles" was a common joke stereotype when I was a kid because you saw that all the time on TV, and handleless paper bags have never been a thing here in Finland

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ras Het posted:

"American's love paper bags without handles" was a common joke stereotype when I was a kid because you saw that all the time on TV, and handleless paper bags have never been a thing here in Finland

Those bags were great for craft projects when you were a kid. I never see them anywhere anymore.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

UltraRed posted:

Those bags were great for craft projects when you were a kid. I never see them anywhere anymore.

When I was a kid, we used them to cover our school books.

:corsair:

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
In Canada I've only seen paper bags with handles like a few times in my life, I always assumed they were too expensive for most stores to bother buying, which leads to them not being manufactured as much as the no handle ones, which leads to less supply and even less people using them, etc.

Most people here don't even pretend to care about the environment though, I think most people generally use plastic bags regardless.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Where I am everywhere says "no reusable bags" for covid reasons but will let you use them anyway if you bag it yourself

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I use paper bags to my recycling in, then take the whole thing downstairs and put it in the recycling bin.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tuyop posted:

My way around the home bag ban has been similar to the poster with the paper bag -> reusable bag solution. I just carry the bags in a backpack and then pay for my stuff and carry the goods outside and bag them there. Nobody seems to have a problem with this and it seems like transfer to the store’s stuff would be pretty elaborate this way.

I do the same, except I'm a filthy bourgeois suburbanite so substitute "car trunk" for "backpack". Basically I've just moved the Aldi bagging station from the big shelf to the back of my car.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I'm looking for software that can simply build a cue list of YouTube songs for at home, personal use, not for profit, non commercial karaoke use. All I really need it to do is maintain a list of YouTube titles in order and play output on a second monitor. Ideally it would have a crossfader and allow background/bumper but that's not really all that important.

I know I could use a yt ripper and pcdj to do it but I'd rather not store the files locally, or have to deal with all the mechanics of downloading, titling, organizing etc.

Free is ideal, but low cost is OK.

All of the pro kj software is Hella expensive, and also deliberately tooled to not allow youtube video play for obvious licensing reasons.

I could've sworn Winamp allowed for this but apparently not anymore.

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

T-shirt chat: I bought my boyfriend some Amazon Basics shirts last Christmas, and he really likes them.