Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
This is a place that uses cognition filters, run by pathologically manipulative psychopaths.
Is the box robot what they actually look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

Really though, good stuff

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rockopolis posted:

This is a place that uses cognition filters, run by pathologically manipulative psychopaths.
Is the box robot what they actually look like?

Yep

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Probably. Unless it's another cognition filter.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Plot twist, the robot body is another layer of the cognition filter. Their actual body is human, they just did that so the manager wouldn't snap upon seeing a harmless kid tossed into a crusher.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Try not to let the actual meat in front of you to get too far away though. The story is elaborate and engaging enough without having to consider another ten layers of possible conspiracy theories :v:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Unfiltered Sephirot

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
The Real Lobotomy Corporation Starts Here.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I just realized you timed this on a 5 day, too. Which means you have a self-imposed challenge also slamming you.

After reading up, I can already guess at what it's going to be, and it's going to be amazing :getin:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

tithin posted:

I've never played this game but it's pretty apparent who A is

Same. I feel like people are hyperfocusing on the latter half (for... well, valid reasons) when I think the first bit pretty well spells out who A is and your relationship to him, especially with you seeing 'someone else's' flashback.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Materant posted:

I just realized you timed this on a 5 day, too. Which means you have a self-imposed challenge also slamming you.

After reading up, I can already guess at what it's going to be, and it's going to be amazing :getin:

I feel moderately confident that whatever idea you had it's probably better than the one I did. It isn't 'just do Malkuth' though, at least! :v:

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Chaosbrain posted:

Well, looks like its going to get all Terminator up in this place.

Oh hey, I was correct. Right down to the robot getting smashed by an industrial crusher. Imagine that. :unsmigghh:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

In mid-August, I had a theory about what was going on with the Sephirah, but I was worried about my guess being too good and coming off as wink-wink spoiler garbage. I ran it by TeeQueue and ultimately didn't post it because I didn't want to disrupt the thread.

quote:

Honestly, between the setting's casual relationship with extreme body horror (Rudolta, Today's Shy Look), the emphasis on cerebral themes (the cognition filter and the title literally being Lobotomy Corporation), and the non-Angela AIs having organic traits (substance abuse, sleep habits, mood disorders), I'd be willing to bet that the Sephirahs are some kind of "brain in a jar" setup. It'd explain why Angela won't shut up about how perfect she is: she's the only one who's a genuine AI, and she knows it.

I'm currently torn between "THERE'S MEAT IN THAT BOX :catstare:" and "there's meat in that box :smug:".

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

RPZip posted:

Same. I feel like people are hyperfocusing on the latter half (for... well, valid reasons) when I think the first bit pretty well spells out who A is and your relationship to him, especially with you seeing 'someone else's' flashback.

Oh, I've never played either and I can reasonably guess. But I also wouldn't put it past the game to throw in a twist and lead us along.

So uh... no need to be condescending you guys.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think people are saying "I've never played before and I think it's obvious" because a lot of people itt have played before, and they're worried that it will be considered a spoiler if their guess turns out to be right.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Since A/ngela changed Elijah's name to "Malkuth", all of the Kabbalah references aren't just metaphors, Lobcorp has an official company policy of naming things after Kabbalah. They had a focus group decide which Hebrew letters best correspond to which abnormality classes

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

pumpinglemma posted:

I think people are saying "I've never played before and I think it's obvious" because a lot of people itt have played before, and they're worried that it will be considered a spoiler if their guess turns out to be right.

Yeah, it was this. There's definitely a chance of there being more twists coming up, but for now I think I've got a solid lock on it. The game is completely capable of changing course though, the way they've been introducing everything has been very well done.

e: Mostly I just wanted people to talk about that more rather than just all the second-half stuff, I think what (I think) Angela is hinting at is really interesting.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 5, 2020

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
So far this seems like the sort of story that's not trying to surprise you with plot twists occurring, but rather focus on the details and ramifications of those twists. A bunch of people guessed ages ago that the AIs were built from people, this isn't a surprise, but what's important is the "why" and "how" of that fact.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Seeing twists coming or not, the game handles it really drat well, music, presentation, emotionally grabbing you. Definitely not what I was expecting when I first played it.

It was when I got to this point that I realized I was truly on Mr. Bones Wild Ride.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

King of Bleh posted:

So far this seems like the sort of story that's not trying to surprise you with plot twists occurring, but rather focus on the details and ramifications of those twists. A bunch of people guessed ages ago that the AIs were built from people, this isn't a surprise, but what's important is the "why" and "how" of that fact.

Well yeah it's horror and not a mystery so surprises/revelations would tend more to the shocking/disturbing/surreal/unpleasant side of things, rather than passive gratification for having nonzero reading comprehension skills.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

LMAO I guess that's why it's called Lobotomy Corp.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

TeeQueue posted:

Huh? But didn't we just agree-

If we go with him, we'll be the plucky side characters. And plucky side characters…

Never die! That's brilliant!

For the record, plucky side characters die all the time. Something has to motivate the hero, and nothing better for it than fridging the likeable sidekick.

Also, I wonder what the janitors in this place are like.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I've only gotten the first reveal on my playthrough thus far. I got one of the Clerk's Rights abnormalities, so I was unable to suppress Noon ordeals, let alone Dusk ordeals. On day 18 right now, so hopefully I'll catch back up soon.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

For the record, plucky side characters die all the time. Something has to motivate the hero, and nothing better for it than fridging the likeable sidekick.

Also, I wonder what the janitors in this place are like.

The first time the cognition filter failed there was a corpse just hanging around in the manager's office, I'm not sure there are janitors

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Solitair posted:

I've only gotten the first reveal on my playthrough thus far. I got one of the Clerk's Rights abnormalities, so I was unable to suppress Noon ordeals, let alone Dusk ordeals. On day 18 right now, so hopefully I'll catch back up soon.

I didn't surpress Dusk for the first time until my second playthrough, so I wouldn't worry toooo much about that. You're likely to do better than me...

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 5, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

atelier morgan posted:

The first time the cognition filter failed there was a corpse just hanging around in the manager's office, I'm not sure there are janitors
I assume any surviving clerks get to clean at day's end before going home with their massive paycheck, never to return. As such, cleaning is... infrequent.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Ah, so we finally find the brains involved in the titular lobotomy.

I'm starting to think Angela is the only one who's not going to try to kill us by virtue of actually being an AI and not constantly having horrible flashbacks to her previous existence.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

exploding clowns and obelisks dropping out of the sky keep wiping out the cleaning staff

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It's interesting that according to her, her body should be more or less as it actually appears to X. But then, now that I think about it, we already knew that. When the filters were down, Angela just looked like Angela, merely more detailed. Presumably the technology developed to make the Sephirot was refined for her or something? Why bother giving her an actual humanoid body when the boxes should be just as efficient, given that her role is administrative and not hands on?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Janitors are probably the clerks, which are to Lobotomy Corporation what D-class is to the SCP foundation. This probably translates to them on average making more of a mess with their horrible deaths than they manage to clean up before said horrible deaths

EDIT: Relating to gameplay, how long are you expecting it to take for the facility's agents to turn Malkuth into scrap metal? I'm guessing 2 minutes since they have multiple WAW-tier and ALEPH-tier EGO to work with, and since this is the first one the HP and resists might only be about on par with a dusk ordeal rather than full-bore "can you suppress an ALEPH" absurdity.
hopefully the inevitable replacement Malkuth doesn't snap like this one did

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 5, 2020

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

the Orb of Zot posted:

EDIT: Relating to gameplay, how long are you expecting it to take for the facility's agents to turn Malkuth into scrap metal? I'm guessing 2 minutes since they have multiple WAW-tier and ALEPH-tier EGO to work with, and since this is the first one the HP and resists might only be about on par with a dusk ordeal rather than full-bore "can you suppress an ALEPH" absurdity.
hopefully the inevitable replacement Malkuth doesn't snap like this one did

Didn't you see the "If Malkuth had a gun" chart?! This will surely be the greatest challenge in the game...

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Oh god you're right.
Welp I guess this was a good LP while it lasted.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The scene with Tiphereth had two jarring moments when I first played. The crushing is VERY sudden, they're talking and then just boom. And the zoom forces you to just look at all the meat leaking out of the box. The other jarring part was Malkuth coming in. Punishing Bird was in control for me, so she'd still was constantly saying stuff to me. The notepad, that easily recognizable aspect of Malkuth, made me uncomfortable since it was HER trait, familiarity mixed in with the uncomfortably brutal crushing.

Angela's core suppression conversation is one of those things that hit me on this reread. It's both kind of meta and not. She's literally telling you that you can just keep playing regularly. But she's asking (without directly asking) you to suppress it, and I think that's the first genuine request she has for you.

Malkuth's core suppression conversation is pretty good too (for a definition of 'good'). 'Oh I haven't seen you in a while, what's on your mind...... oh'. She's just smiling at you while talking about hopelessness and a terrible death, and the smile just keeps getting bigger as she talks. It just added to the unsettling aspect. And then you have the flashback with IGNORE x3. That... yeah.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'm going to say it. Elijah wouldn't have been my first choice for conversion to a horrible half-life given her blatant disregard for OSHA and research protocols. But I also wouldn't have ignored her, either. :(

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Ok I have realized my terrible idea.

If only I had any artistic talent to work with.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Ok I have realized my terrible idea.

If only I had any artistic talent to work with.

:cawg: okay but I love this though.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So out of curiosity, are there any thematically appropriate Hebrew words/names/letters that start with X?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Just gonna say that there is one image still to come that I made sure to screenshot and use as one of my rotating desktop images. Because holy poo poo.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

azren posted:

So out of curiosity, are there any thematically appropriate Hebrew words/names/letters that start with X?

Well, if we're willing to bend it to not actually Hebrew merely Abrahamic, but thematically fun: Χριστός.

The Greek Χ is Chi, so that's to Christós or Christ. A has returned! (from the dead?)

Incidentally, this is where xmas comes from. Chi was a historical abbreviation for Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

azren posted:

Hebrew doesn't have X as a single letter so no. Even if you go with "ks" or "ch" I can't think of a single word that would start with it (as a native Hebrew speaker).