Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I use expedit or whatever expedit is called now. Got dvds and records on the lower shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

BILLY bookcases. The shelves are perfectly deep enough for modulars.

Seconding Billy Bookcases as being good for modulars, though the ones I have are just shy of getting 4 in. Great for other stuff though, and I have stuff like the VW bus in front of books on some shelves.

I have a detolf I’ve been wanting to get rid of, but there’s just not a lot of space for Legos I would think.

I bought a 2’ deep by 4’ wide by 6’ tall garage shelving system to build a modular vertical city on, but all my sets are still scattered across bookcases, on top of the piano, or under the TV in the Den. I’ve also got a stupid backlog so I think the only solution now is just to move and have a whole room for Lego

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

BILLY bookcases. The shelves are perfectly deep enough for modulars.

Do you need to mount these to the wall?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also take a look at the Vittsjö (if available in your country). More expensive that Billy, but also doesn't block view as much and is more open, and is perfect for bigger technic sets and stuff, if you ever need to display one of those

tuo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 4, 2020

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Hopefully none of the money from the minifigs goes to Rowling. :(

I just finished the Fast & Furious Dodge Charger. It's been a long time since I messed with Technic and boy this things a beast. A lot of fun part usage though and I could see it making an awesome robot with some extra parts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Great setup! I’m super jealous of that Sandcrawler... that and Fort Legoredo are right at the top of my retired sets I wanna buy list. Also digging the Hoth invasion underneath! I’d love to see more if you get a chance

Sure! I'm sure there's a couple people itt that are tired of looking at it by now :v: , but I do love posting my SW collection.

The whole collection

Tattooine

Star Fighters w falcon

Hoth

Hoth interior

No theme

modified tfa falcon

Imperial shelf

UCS+ Oddball stuff I had no room for

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was just at ikea on Tuesday for something unrelated to lego, but I wrote down the names of the ones I thought would make good lego cases...

Milsbo
Regissor
Billy
Fabrikor
Detolf
Billy/oxberg

The milsbo, detolf, and Fabrikor all have glass on at least 4 sides and glass shelves, which let's in a lot more light. I know, duh. But I didn't appreciate what a huge difference that would make in the quality of display until I saw them in person. Everything else being equal I would go with one of those. Or put lighting in.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 4, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the real secret tech with Detolfs is turning them sideways and removing the interior glass shelves.

for legos that'll allow quite a bit of uninterrupted display space.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Great display solutions itt. For me, the larger sets have simply taken over/displaced spaces on top of flat furniture that was previously unadorned or was just home to tchotchkes. I'm running out of options and will have to shake things up soon with some shelves or bookcases of some kind.

This is the last post I will make about shipping or waiting for anything- I really screwed up with the new HP Burrow. I saw at lunch it was backordered online but available at my local store, then by the afternoon it was sold out there, too. I should have just ordered one online at midnight the night before but I intentionally disregarded it. I put an order in on backorder, then I get the dreaded notification that it's been downgraded to Out of Stock. It'll be a little while before I get my hands on it, for sure. Too bad! Otoh my pick-a-bricks will probably arrive sooner so I'll be able to advance at least one of the projects I have on the go.

I literally went "Oh my God" when I saw the whole collection. I like these TIE fighters a lot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ineptitude posted:

Lol what a shitshow.

But people are gonna go balls to the walls with buying these anyways. They are already sold out here.

I saw a bunch at Target today, but I just can’t justify $5/bag for a license I only have a passing interest in. Plus all the recent poo poo with JKR.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

We use a china hutch for the stuff we don't want the cat to help with, it's nice because it has lights inside and glass shelves, and then the cabinets/drawers below can hold -stuff-. We also use Elfa all over the place because it's invincible and easy to light up/size precisely to the thing you're putting on it. We're testing using some of the rolling metal drawer cabinets from I think IKEA for storing parts. I'll let you know in a year or so if we like them. Most of our LEGO is available for the 6 year old to play with because she can be trusted. It's the bengal that we have to watch out for. He is determined to murder the tower bridge.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tuo posted:

Also take a look at the Vittsjö (if available in your country). More expensive that Billy, but also doesn't block view as much and is more open, and is perfect for bigger technic sets and stuff, if you ever need to display one of those

Yeah, that’s the one I have. Looks nice, holds a lot, no sides to block anything. I think the only thing I have that doesn’t fit is the Modular that has the billboard on the top. And the minifig scale Millenium Falcon takes up a whole side, to give you a sense of scale.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vittsjoe-shelf-unit-black-brown-glass-20213312/

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is Bricklink a decent place to sell old sets?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Krazyface posted:

Is Bricklink a decent place to sell old sets?

In terms of price, it is probably the best. In terms of headache, it is probably the worst.

Unless you are running a business, your sales will go something like this:

1 - list item
2 - buyer asks for quote
3 - you have to package item in order to find out shipping charges
4 - buyer may or may not continue

Your lowest $ option is craigslist or letgo or one of the other local marketplaces. The worst buyers who will lowball you or offer you trades for things you don't want.

Ebay is, IMO, the best option. Take good pics. Box up your item and input all the shipping info in the auction. Lay all the info out there ahead of time and just wait. When someone buys, you get a small discount for purchasing postage through Ebay. The only negative is Ebay will side with the buyer 99% of the time.

BL almost always sides with the seller. Which is a benefit there but the seller also has more headache in getting things going.

I hope this helps.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
For displaying minifigs I've got some of these...
https://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-keepsake-display-case/10227067.html
The listed price is kind of high, but Michaels has coupons and sales all the time.
Each shelf is 37x8 studs wide. Modifying them to open on the other side was as easy as removing the wall mounts and installing them upside down.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

smackfu posted:

Yeah, that’s the one I have. Looks nice, holds a lot, no sides to block anything. I think the only thing I have that doesn’t fit is the Modular that has the billboard on the top. And the minifig scale Millenium Falcon takes up a whole side, to give you a sense of scale.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vittsjoe-shelf-unit-black-brown-glass-20213312/

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that. The Vittjöe is not adjustable like the Billy. But it comes in a lot of different sizes and shapes. I have a lower one between to large ones that holds the pretty enourmous Executor MoC on top (wouldn't fit in anything else). Gonna need something similar once I get to build that giant Star Destroyer MoC (Monarch). I KNOW I'll do it this winter...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

deoju posted:

For displaying minifigs I've got some of these...
https://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-keepsake-display-case/10227067.html
The listed price is kind of high, but Michaels has coupons and sales all the time.
Each shelf is 37x8 studs wide. Modifying them to open on the other side was as easy as removing the wall mounts and installing them upside down.
Keep an eye on these for sales, I've definitely seen them drop to $25 each before(that's when I picked mine up).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Keep an eye on these for sales, I've definitely seen them drop to $25 each before(that's when I picked mine up).

Michaels is like Hobby Lobby (without the ol tyme relijun) so they run an almost perpetual 40% off coupon, although idk if it works for online purchases.

And before you get too excited, yes Lego is excluded from the coupon. Should definitely work for stuff like display cases though.

E: I guess it's 20% right now. I've literally never seen that before. maybe it's a covid thing.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

For MiniFigs there's also some crazy stuff similar to Wicked Bricks.

Hope it works, no idea how to generate a non-german-link:

https://www.figuworld24.de/de/FiguT...serien-387.html

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Sure! I'm sure there's a couple people itt that are tired of looking at it by now :v: , but I do love posting my SW collection.

The whole collection

This is really spiffy, thanks for posting! I’m always really curious how everyone else displays their large collections :)

I’m also really impressed at the UCS scale... those all look really good next to one another, and in the scenes. Very cool setup!

If you got Mos Eisley Cantina, could you maybe turn the top into the spaceport or something so you could put it next to the falcon? This is probably already something you’ve thought of, but it might be pretty neat to glue base plates to the interior of the shelves to do voxel art backgrounds. Could probably even do something really cool with light bricks to illuminate each shelf at the top, although LED strips might be easier and cheaper.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I am finally sorting my tub'o'lego. Pretty sure I'm developing repetitive stress disorder from searching along the bottom of the bin for 1x1 pieces.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Literally A Person posted:

I am finally sorting my tub'o'lego. Pretty sure I'm developing repetitive stress disorder from searching along the bottom of the bin for 1x1 pieces.

Go to a hardware store and get like 3 different sizes of steel mesh and screen it to sort by size very quickly.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Spookydonut posted:

Go to a hardware store and get like 3 different sizes of steel mesh and screen it to sort by size very quickly.

:aaaaa:

I am such a foolish fool. Any tips for sorting? Like I know I want to have more decorative stuff off in it's own space but what about just like plates and bricks. Should I sort them out by color? Does it really matter? By size? What is the most useful???

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I started sorting by color for a current project and it actually sucks if I'm looking for a specific part, so I'm going to say sort by size. It's way easier to see the black 2x4 brick in a drawer of 2x4 bricks than a drawer full of other black pieces. I only sorted by color so I could maintain a clean color palette but I wouldn't use it as a long term sorting solution.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
:siren:DO NOT SORT BY COLOR:siren:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I started sorting by color for a current project and it actually sucks if I'm looking for a specific part, so I'm going to say sort by size. It's way easier to see the black 2x4 brick in a drawer of 2x4 bricks than a drawer full of other black pieces. I only sorted by color so I could maintain a clean color palette but I wouldn't use it as a long term sorting solution.

Ineptitude posted:

This is jiving with my thinking then. Okay, maybe I'll go with type of piece as my first choice for sorting. Thanks, btw.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Depends on what kind of brick it is and how many you have of it.

If you have a ton of 2x4 bricks it makes sense to sort those by color.

When it comes to like 1x1 rounds and 2x2 rounds you might not have many of each so you just put all colours of those two brick types in the same container.

I'm sure there's some people who have figured out the more effective way to sort bricks but it comes down to what you're able to manage, if you can't quickly find what you're after then its a poo poo sorting system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It all comes down to whether you think it's easier to quickly pick out a red 2x3 brick out of a sea of red 2x2s, 2x3s, and 2x4s, or out of a sea of different colored 2x3 bricks.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cojawfee posted:

It all comes down to whether you think it's easier to quickly pick out a red 2x3 brick out of a sea of red 2x2s, 2x3s, and 2x4s, or out of a sea of different colored 2x3 bricks.

When you say it like this the latter seems way WAY loving easier to me.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Literally A Person posted:

When you say it like this the latter seems way WAY loving easier to me.

And that reasoning is exactly why you do not sort by color.

The exception is when you have so many pieces in a certain category that it would be useful to sort that category by color

My sorting is based on how i see the part distribution in the MOCs i design usually end up.

I have these categories (bricklink categories)
-Brick (bricks of 1 stud width)
-Brick (all other sizes)
-Plate (1 and 2 stud width)
-Plate (all other sizes)
-Brick, modified
-Plate, modified
-Brick, round + Cone
-Brick, slope
-Brick, slope inverted
-Brick, arch
-Literally everything else (this is a box of nightmares with like 300 different parts, but such low volume it doesnt make sense to separate them out)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ineptitude posted:

Unless you are color blind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Having a pile of the same color is useful for creativity, you can paw through the pile and stack whatever cool piece you find on top of your creation.

If you already know what you want however, it's loving terrible.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Speaking of mining display I wish I could find one that lights up. There's this: https://www.minifiguresdisplay.com. Which I am thinking about buying, but I hate doing work and wish I could just find one that has the lights already installed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Earth posted:

Speaking of mining display I wish I could find one that lights up. There's this: https://www.minifiguresdisplay.com. Which I am thinking about buying, but I hate doing work and wish I could just find one that has the lights already installed.

i believe lightmybricks has such a thing

e: poo poo, sold out https://www.lightmybricks.com/collections/lego-minifigure-display-frame-case

Maybe check their US distributor(s) if you're in the US?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

For anyone who has both the Technic Lambo and Bugatti: Which do you think is better? I'm tempted to get one or the other, but both seem appealing from appearance. Bugatti is almost 100$ cheaper though. I suspect they are similarish builds.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

veni veni veni posted:

The whole collection

No TIE Interceptor?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tie Interceptor and bomber MOCs are on my short list of things to do, since LEGO refuses to show them any love, but the last official one they did was like 20 years ago and looks super fugly.

Was really tempted to get that red one a while back but it was red, and tie interceptors are not red.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I did two orders within 15 minutes of each other last week. One shipped yesterday. The other is still in warehouse. I am very much of the opinion that LEGO shipping is not being very well run at the moment. I know they are busy but that's kind of nuts.

They really need the ability to combine orders without having to call and wait on hold.

2 orders because the second item went from OOS to in stock while I was doing the first order. 15 minutes because I fuddled around with the website to see if I could just edit the order, gave up and did the 2nd order.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

I did two orders within 15 minutes of each other last week. One shipped yesterday. The other is still in warehouse. I am very much of the opinion that LEGO shipping is not being very well run at the moment. I know they are busy but that's kind of nuts.

They really need the ability to combine orders without having to call and wait on hold.

2 orders because the second item went from OOS to in stock while I was doing the first order. 15 minutes because I fuddled around with the website to see if I could just edit the order, gave up and did the 2nd order.

Finding it difficult to sympathize imho, I'm not unhappy the items ship when available rather than waiting for the whole shebang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Thread challenge: build a four wheeled vehicle that can seat/carry at least four minifgures.