Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SubG posted:

Candy them?

Or pickle them. Pickled habeneros are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Liquid Communism posted:

Or pickle them. Pickled habeneros are really good.
Yeah, although I wouldn't really call that kind of unusual. I guess pickled habs are less common than, say, pickled jalapeños. But they're still something that, for example, I've seen sold in grocery stores. I don't think I've ever had candied habs anywhere apart from making them.

I also like habanero jelly, but I kinda feel like pepper jellies/jams/marmalades have gotten more familiar lately, and they're another thing that you can occasionally find as an upscale/artisan/whatever the gently caress thing in grocery store delis or whatever. Which is cool, but if you're looking to make something unusual it seems like you'd want something you couldn't find in a grocery store.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

How Wonderful! posted:

Speaking of habaneros, I had a bunch of them and was not interested in making more hot sauce or salsa since I have plenty of both. I wound up using some of them for pikliz and some of them for a mango shrub, but I still have maybe half a dozen left. I want to do something kind of unusual with them but I'm a little stumped. Cornbread...? I don't think gazpacho would be a weird use of the things but it might be a nice dish to say goodbye to the summer.

deseeded/deveined and super finely diced in a sauce or dressing is great and super simple

I've pickled and hot sauced with a lot of the ones I grew this summer, but ended up just freezing a baggie full as well to pull out and add to stuff during the winter

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I've only recently pickled habs. Never seen them in the store. Seem like they'd be too hot for the average American imo. Candied habs sound pretty good and would probably be a great topping for that hab ice cream for looks.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

SubG posted:

I also like habanero jelly, but I kinda feel like pepper jellies/jams/marmalades have gotten more familiar lately, and they're another thing that you can occasionally find as an upscale/artisan/whatever the gently caress thing in grocery store delis or whatever. Which is cool, but if you're looking to make something unusual it seems like you'd want something you couldn't find in a grocery store.

Oh, this might be it. I have a friend who'd normally give me a few jars of jalapeno jam each Autumn who we aren't going to see this year, so I'm into this idea.
A bunch are pickling right now with the rest of the pikliz, although I guess that isn't quite the same thing.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Get weird with it and make mini stuffed peppers :kimchi:

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Enfys posted:

Made this, A+ idea. My partner was dubious and at first said "I'll just have a small taste" but then got a bowl of it to eat, so it went down well.

"Fish sauce caramel" is still getting some odd looks but going to give it a go this weekend.

Fish sauce caramel is loving great! I mess around with garums and protein based ferments a lot at my restaurant and recently made some cincy-chili-garum-caramel-apples that were ~legit~. If you want a liiiittle more accessible savory caramel, go with black olives. Kalamata caramel strawberry ice cream is ace.

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of milk products, anyone got any good suggestions on how to make a properly thick milkshake, cause I definitely have the process on making a good tasting one down, but I just can't get the thickness right

Spindle mixers work best, but you can still get a nicely thick milkshake in a blender if you keep the ice cream cold as poo poo (like -10F). Anything generating heat is your enemy. The other key in my experience is a super yolky custard base, you want a lot of fat but you don't want dairy fat. Gobs of malt powder can help too, but that really limits your flavor profile. If you want cheat codes there's always Thick & Easy to help.

The weird cream cheese and corn starch based ice cream bases a la Jeni's make for nice thick shakes too, but again, they can be a little limiting with flavors.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I would really like to eat some Strawberry Tofu

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

excellent bird guy posted:

I would really like to eat some Strawberry Tofu

https://lvl1-chef.tumblr.com/post/139776315448/mother-3-strawberry-tofu

dessert tofu is soft tofu, dont press too much water out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Guys what do you think of my Japanese/American Thanksgiving fusion food truck concept

Turkeyaki

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s either that or my Mexican/Japanese fusion concept

Tacoyaki

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

Tacoyaki

Something's fishy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fine, we’ll go with the alternate, Nachoyaki

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Tacoyaki

I had a menu item called Tako Salad for a while that was a cabbage salad, with charred shishitos, cumin vinaigrette, pickled peppers over tortilla chips, with pineapple glazed charred octopus.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So the Missus has been doing some shallow frying in one of our all clad pans, and a bunch of the fat ha got dark and tacky (polymerized?) and when this used to build up on pans at work, the Sous would run them through some sort of electrolytic bath. Has anyone hooked one up at home?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not exactly, but that's exactly what spray oven cleaner is meant to clean. Good luck!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Barkeeper’s Friend would probably work too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Barkeeper’s Friend would probably work too.

Seconded. The powdered stuff works better than the liquid IMO

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I normally make a thick paste and let it sit on really gnarly spots.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Those were helpful, thank you!

Now, anyone ever grill on a Konro grill over binchoan? I might get clearance to buy one for work and I’d love any tips.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I hope you’re not buying it on account of it being sold as “smokeless“ unless you only plan on grilling vegetables and fat free meat

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I hope you’re not buying it on account of it being sold as “smokeless“ unless you only plan on grilling vegetables and fat free meat

I have no illusions re: smoke because I have a basic understanding of the interaction of physics and biochem, but I work for a Japanese company which makes it an easier sell.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i dunno much about using them in particular, but there's an izakayaish place nearby that cooks virtually their entire (cooked) menu off of those and it's fuckin' great

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anybody else get a weird mouth feel if they absentmindedly drink too much water in a day? I looked up hyponatremia (when your blood salt levels fall too low) and I don't have the clinical symptoms, but I could be inching that direction. I had some hibiscus soda at lunch to try and combat it, which made it better for several hours. Well, either that or it was confirmation bias. Or the beetus.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nah but when I drink too much whiskey I wake up with my mouth tasting sweet.

Zabba51
Aug 21, 2020

Idiot
This guy lives in my back yard. Got any good recipes?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Anybody else get a weird mouth feel if they absentmindedly drink too much water in a day? I looked up hyponatremia (when your blood salt levels fall too low) and I don't have the clinical symptoms, but I could be inching that direction. I had some hibiscus soda at lunch to try and combat it, which made it better for several hours. Well, either that or it was confirmation bias. Or the beetus.

Maybe you're just deeply unused to being hydrated?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
To make sure your crab gets adequate carotene, supplement their diet with brightly-colored vegetables, like corn and carrots

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Liquid Communism posted:

Maybe you're just deeply unused to being hydrated?

Nah

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Enfys posted:

I wear glasses and often cry like a baby cutting onions. I either have very sensitive eyes or eat a lot of ornery onions (or just a lot of onions in general).

Any kind of barrier will help to some degree, but you're still going to have gas getting under a face shield.

Is it just me who doesn't really have issues with tears, I mean I get a little teary eyed but I don't give a crap about that, if tears was all that onions gave then I wouldn't mind.

What about the intense burning eye pain that requires you to drop what you are doing and go wash your hands in soap, then wash your face with and rinse your eyes to make it stop? Is that only me?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is it just me who doesn't really have issues with tears, I mean I get a little teary eyed but I don't give a crap about that, if tears was all that onions gave then I wouldn't mind.

What about the intense burning eye pain that requires you to drop what you are doing and go wash your hands in soap, then wash your face with and rinse your eyes to make it stop? Is that only me?

I get it sometimes with organic onions but generally don’t notice a thing. When I get it though, I see what the fuss is about. It really stings.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Can you all think of a reason why a ribeye would turn out kind of medium despite the fact that it read a 104゚ on an instant read thermometer right before I started resting it? I would say it was about an inch and a 1/2 to 2" thick.

I did the rosemary butter basting technique on a tri ply steel pan with a gas burner. Rested immediately on a cutting board after a read of 104 at center and it rested off heat for ~7 min. I did pourover the butter at the start of the rest.

I started spooning butter over it after the initial sear so it was still fairly juicy, but I like my steaks rare. I had it out of the fridge for over an hour before I started cooking. I can't figure it out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of resting is to unfuck the temp differentials betw edge of meat and center of meat. maybe surface temp was too hot?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a lot of resting is to unfuck the temp differentials betw edge of meat and center of meat. maybe surface temp was too hot?

That seems super likely actually.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, carryover cooking is a thing. The thicker the piece of meat, the more you'll see.

104 to 140 (temp for medium) is a big jump though, are you sure your thermometer is good? Where'd you stick it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Center mass. I use an outdoor wok and the high end is 13000 btu (I didn't have it cranked up obv).

I would certainly say it is posible the thermometer is bad. It's a javelin pro duo.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Center mass. I use an outdoor wok and the high end is 13000 btu (I didn't have it cranked up obv).

I would certainly say it is posible the thermometer is bad. It's a javelin pro duo.

Stick it in your mouth and see if it gives you a reasonable body temp, free check.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Stick it in your mouth and see if it gives you a reasonable body temp, free check.

Rectal readings are even more precise!

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS
A glass of ice water is how I have always calibrated thermometers... But, you all do what you want...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

PurplPenisEata posted:

A glass of ice water is how I have always calibrated thermometers... But, you all do what you want...

Seems like it'd be hard to fit the glass in your rectum.