Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Ah excuse me?

edit: masterful snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
It's a recent tweet you beautiful person.

Dave posted a snapshot of the top rated fps games on steam and its ultrakill, both portal games, dusk, and then post void.

Then he said gg post void which is funny.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Boomer shooters seem to refer specifically to modern games designed to emulate pre-Half Life first person shooter experiences. If someone makes a retro Half-Life style game it should be called a Half-Like. Thank you, I'll be here all night.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I mean, Ultrakill feels like a first person spectacle shooter instead of just a FPS but what do I know.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
im ok with this

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Ultrakill has vastly improved since the rather lacklustre demo. I'm impressed.

Using coins against the v2 fight was pretty cool. Though i'm not sure what you're supposed to do if they decide to go into red psycho mode. Even well timed dodges seem to get clipped by the blue spam. Also if you find the secret level on 1-1 you risk missing the nailgun pickup, because it dumps you out of the secret level into 1-2 for some silly reason. Beware.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyone who uses boomer shooter unironically should be put on trial at the hague.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Klaus88 posted:

I mean, Ultrakill feels like a first person spectacle shooter instead of just a FPS but what do I know.
some sort of devil may quake, you could say

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A brief update on Kingpin Reloaded: They took a u-turn from their previous approach of "build a Kingpin interpreter in another engine" to "reverse-engineer and rewrite the game in another engine", which is taking a minute. As such, a proper gameplay reveal is gonna have to wait until later this year, but in the meantime, art pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhaNOpoOKVY

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Vikar Jerome posted:

anyone who uses boomer shooter unironically should be put on trial at the hague.

Hey man that's what the kids are callin' it don't shoot the messenger.

Klaus88 posted:

First...Person....Character Action Spectacle....Shooter??? FPCASS?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

A brief update on Kingpin Reloaded: They took a u-turn from their previous approach of "build a Kingpin interpreter in another engine" to "reverse-engineer and rewrite the game in another engine", which is taking a minute. As such, a proper gameplay reveal is gonna have to wait until later this year, but in the meantime, art pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhaNOpoOKVY

They should add a "radio edit" mode which bleeps all the swearing, it would be great :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's no *real* reason to play Kingpin outside of nostalgia or FPS desperation, right?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

There's no *real* reason to play Kingpin outside of nostalgia or FPS desperation, right?

Unless you already finished replaying Rogue Warrior and need more swears

Edit: and are unable to afford mental health treatment due to America's insane healthcare system

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Like anything, I guess, it does have hardcore fans. Mainly the multiplayer it seems? There's a couple guys who shows up occasionally in the Quake mapping discord who have KP multiplayer as their best-thing-ever, that they still get games together for.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mordja posted:

I've been known to defend a lot of bottom shelf shovelware in this thread but Kingpin is a bridge so far it's not even on the horizon

I mean I'm definitely going to play the rerelease because I'm a sloppy glutton for shooters, and I might even be able to scrape some nostalgia for the thing off my brain's shoe, but it's just such a flat, joyless, cringe-inducing experience

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The important question is whether they relicensed the cypress hill tracks

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mordja posted:

Nope, not really. I took a good try at the game 2 or 3 years ago, and the AI in the game is bullshit, they hit you perfectly with the basic pistols the moment you take a peek from behind the corner. The gelatinous models are on full display through and through, there is very little music (just 5 or 6 short instrumental loops), and the game is peppered with stupidly hard jumps and stuff like rats that can hurt you (and stop your movement during a stupidly hard jump).

There are three actually unique things about Kingpin, one is an early location damage system, which means headshots are a must, the very bare "team" management system, which you only need to use when the story forces you to, and the "dialogue system", where you need to be nice to everyone if you want to actually progress in the game.

The noir art deco looks is very cool in places, but most of the time you feel like traversing the biggest back alleys in the universe.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

site posted:

The important question is whether they relicensed the cypress hill tracks
I think they did, yes.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It's hard for me to imagine that Kingpin is a game that they would go out of their way to get. Kingpin is a "we could do this so ehhh I guess" get.

I'd rather play Chrome tbh

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SeANMcBAY posted:

How is Strife, by the way? It's supposed to be a proto Deus Ex? Don't kill me but it looks more fun to play than that game.:blush:

I don't know all the ins and outs of Strife but I think even proto-Deus Ex is going a little too far. If only because Deus Ex is so much more mechanics driven whereas underneath the fresh coat of paint Strife is still Doom. (Which is probably the same reason it looks more fun to you compared to Deus Ex.)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Oh no, you don't want to play chrome past maybe two first missions. The game is incredibly boring, finicky, offers worthless gimmicks to dazzle you and hide the fact the gunplay is terrible. But at least it has JSJ as the villain in localised versions...

The quasi-sequel/standalone expansion Specforce is a much simpler, but also tighter experience.

A propos of nothing, here are 2006 screenshots from Chrome 2 announcement, back when games loved those "realistic" colors:

Techland announced a bunch of games using their new Chrome engine, but after strucking gold with Dead Island (remember the disastrous Steam release?) and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, they never looked back.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

gently caress yeah. The GOG release is nice but I need the remaster now.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SeANMcBAY posted:

How is Strife, by the way? It's supposed to be a proto Deus Ex? Don't kill me but it looks more fun to play than that game.:blush:

It is much, much simpler. The fundamental Doominess is evident in the combat, the dialogue choices and effects stemming therefrom are more streamlined, and it is less ambitious but quite enjoyable, even if its narrative is not nearly as strong. It’s 100% okay to like both, or either, or neither.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

They should add a "radio edit" mode which bleeps all the swearing, it would be great :v:
The original game had this, I wouldn't be shocked if it comes back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’ll defend Kingpin, it’s SiN with hub levels and motherfucking swearing and poo poo.

It’s also kind of what I expected a 1999 Duke Nukem to be like. It’s a natural feeling world with secrets and poo poo stained toilets you can flush them you’ll enter a standard shooter level where you’re gibbing dudes and riddling their twitching bodies with bullet holes.

Of its contemporaries I would absolutely play Kingpin over Blood 2, Shojo, hell even Unreal don’t @ me.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'll take anything over Blood 2.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
ahahahahah realms deep starts with a 30 minute countdown

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

The original game had this, I wouldn't be shocked if it comes back.

:stare:

Guess I'll be trying this out then

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Is it too late to notice that Destructive Creations, aka devs behind Hatred ans ISIS Invasion, with members from NS black metal band Infernal War, are invited to Realms Deep, among RWS chuds, wormbrained Voidpoint devs, and transphobe who developed Hedon?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

laserghost posted:

Is it too late to notice that Destructive Creations, aka devs behind Hatred ans ISIS Invasion, with members from NS black metal band Infernal War, are invited to Realms Deep, among RWS chuds, wormbrained Voidpoint devs, and transphobe who developed Hedon?
of for gently caress's sake

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Realms Deep is live:

https://twitch.tv/3drealms

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sounds like something you should have warned Oshry about sooner than two minutes before start time. You could have prevented this... and didn't!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RWS, Voidpoint, and Tim Willits were known which was surprising that American McGee accepted an invite, didn’t know about the Hatred devs. They kind of rebranded their image and successfully at that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That Graven game looks cool.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
more monster than death stranding

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Kins posted:

Sounds like something you should have warned Oshry about sooner than two minutes before start time. You could have prevented this... and didn't!

I actually asked Fred about this on Twitter when it was announced, and he promptly ignored me. However, the RWS account started spewing random humour invectives at me, so at least I got some kind of reaction?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Going to interrupt the RD chat briefly because I have an effortpost burning a hole in my pocket and I'm about to be AFK for a while. So:

Quake speedmaps/jams are fun, but legit complete releases are funner! Quick rundown here of recent releases that I don't think have been linked/mentioned in this thread:

==========

Can't Stop Me Now is a pleasant first-release basemap. I love when these first-time maps pop up these days, because they'll be small enough to not be exhausting, and have some kind of old-school feel, but still be weird/new/different in some way and more polished than a true old map would be.

Make sure to get the "updated version" linked in the Quaddicted description.

==========

Deepest Oblivion and Citadel of Fire are bite-sized old-school-ish releases from Daniel Remar, the developer of Iji and some other indie games. Several fun clever bits and good secrets in these.

==========

The Machinery is I think another first-time release, which is a thing I look forward to these days -- the modern tools and community experience give first-timers a real shot at doing something fun that also doesn't have its quirks filed off. This one has some really effective use of blocky geometry, both atmospherically and for making combat spaces.

==========

Dead But Dreaming is a release from Fairweather that's kind of an expansion/elaboration of the paths and structures from his earlier map A Quick Trip to the Old World. I love the lighting, the sense of height, and A+ for those little bricks with purple detail. Cool ambushes and uses of monsterjump too.

It will push your pathing/memory skills a tad, but IMO the navigation was nice in something that could have been overly maze-y... good use of signs, open sightlines, and texture/lighting variety. Some good sound effects too (& I assume an intentional choice of no music).

I liked this one a lot!

==========

The Doomed Cathedral is another first release! This one started 20 years ago, and picked back up now to finish it. That gives it an interesting mix of some early-Quake-ish texturing and spaces with a bit of modern polish. A fun journey with lots of secrets.

There's actually an updated version released a few days ago too, but I didn't try that one. The changes in there are described as:

quote:

- Lots of bugfixes based on everyone's input (thank you all for the feedback!)
- Detail improvements in many areas
- A few more/bigger health packs spread around the level
- Some new monsters, because why not

==========

Blood Colored Rust is a nicely orange basemap that looks interesting. (Another first release, whoa.) Right now I'm not in a situation where I can try out Quake maps so I don't have comments on this one, but the func thread is looking positive.

==========

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekj3yS0O5Og

And A Verdant Dawn is another awesome-looking release that I haven't been able to play yet, from zigi who has previously contributed to various jam/speedmap packs and the Finnish mappers episode.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 5, 2020

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Seconding the Daniel Remar's maps, it's amazing what kind of puzzles he does with very limited scripting Quake allows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

laserghost posted:

Yeah that’s pretty loving gross and it’s extremely disappointing that apparently not a single other dev/publisher thought hey maybe we don’t want to be associated with this poo poo...