Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

laserghost posted:

Is it too late to notice that Destructive Creations, aka devs behind Hatred ans ISIS Invasion, with members from NS black metal band Infernal War, are invited to Realms Deep, among RWS chuds, wormbrained Voidpoint devs, and transphobe who developed Hedon?

It would be cool if the retro FPS genre didn't have every other dev be loving bigots. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Okay in the extremely low chance that those in charge of inviting people to the stream somehow didn't know about certain dev's lovely backgrounds, why the gently caress would you invite the Hatred devs and Hedon guy anyway? Those games loving suck!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's okay, they can settle down their differences in the name of common respect and shilling some games for nostalgic losers like us. Maybe even Substance20, that right-wing Catholic with huge persecution complex who draws Doom and Dusk fanart, will draw a nice "group photo" of the meeting!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I didn't know the Hedon guy was problematic as well? What happened?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Can someone explain the hedon transphobe thing? All I can find is people calling the dev a transphobe (by saying "i hear" or "iirc" )but no reasons why. I know he also does smut art. The hatred and RWS and ion fury thing I understand (though I saw people on resetera claiming that ion fury is also racist and sexist which is news to me)

Overbite fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 5, 2020

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Hedon's dev thing is pretty hard to find, as it was on 4chan, and it seems those threads aren't googleable. But the discussion was about Hedon's heroine private parts and similar fun stuff. With dev being a fetish artist, you can imagine how open-minded and nuanced his view was.

Ion Fury has terrible gay jokes (which, by the way, all were drawn by Cage, IF's main artist eho also works on Doom megawad Supplice) and even worse forums. Like, old GBS bad.
In-game however, haven't heard anything sexist or rascist, from what I've seen on streams.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
lot of "gently caress sgt mark" in chat

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I saw the Hell Hunt demo on itch the other day but passed on it. Seeing it in motion it looks really impressive and I regret that.

What did the Hatred people do? I got it on sale based purely on the hilarious trailer and played it for like 2 hours and got bored.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Stupid dipshit associations aside, here's Gloomwood's neato new inventory system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3WdxcbBto Stealth, survival horror, and imsims are my absolute favorite type of games so I'm probably more hyped for the full version of Gloomwood than almost any other game coming out within the next forever.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The Gloomwood inventory stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3WdxcbBto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuFkSrEkM8c

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Stupid dipshit associations aside, here's Gloomwood's neato new inventory system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3WdxcbBto Stealth, survival horror, and imsims are my absolute favorite type of games so I'm probably more hyped for the full version of Gloomwood than almost any other game coming out within the next forever.

goddamn that looks sexy as hell

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

laserghost posted:

Hedon's dev thing is pretty hard to find, as it was on 4chan, and it seems those threads aren't googleable. But the discussion was about Hedon's heroine private parts and similar fun stuff. With dev being a fetish artist, you can imagine how open-minded and nuanced his view was.

I did find this, not sure what he is replying to exactly but I assume it's about that

Also I don't think "draws fetish art so that automatically means they are a bigot" is fair.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Did they say if any new games will be shown here?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I even F5'd before clicking Submit Reply to make sure nobody posted it before. 100% in sync.

Overbite posted:

I think they said New Blood is going to reveal a new game tomorrow?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
the new game is watching tim talk forever

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

the new game is watching tim talk forever

Why is he even there? is he going to present something? I have the video muted at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Overbite posted:

I had never heard of Graven and it was the first game they showed.

Ahhh that's the stuff.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Why is he even there? is he going to present something? I have the video muted at this point.
i don't know i think i fell asleep

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Didn't the official ROTT Twitter hint at a ROTT announcement during Realms Deep?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Adnor posted:

I even F5'd before clicking Submit Reply to make sure nobody posted it before. 100% in sync.

Does that mean we're Drift Compatible? What's our Jaeger name?

Now I'm thinking of a retro first person spectacle fighter/shooter inspired by Pacific Rim. Basically SHOGO but good.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

caleb posted:

What did the Hatred people do? I got it on sale based purely on the hilarious trailer and played it for like 2 hours and got bored.

They employed dude nicknamed "Herr Warcrimer" to do writing for the game and some music. Warcrimer also leads nazi black metal bands Infernal War and Voidhanger, his industrial project Iperyt also flirts with fash aesthetics. Which begs the question, what kind of gamedevs just have such mega chud on the pay roll?

During the initial controversy about Hatred, there were also dug some links between various devs and "patriotic" organisations in Poland, which is a polite way to say they are super rascist gaybashers. This one however I know from memory, and it would require some additional research. The Warcrimer thing is easy to check.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
who is this hitler youth looking motherfucker anytway

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

caleb posted:

I saw the Hell Hunt demo on itch the other day but passed on it. Seeing it in motion it looks really impressive and I regret that.

I really wasn't a fan of the demo, it felt like a 90s shooter that time had rightfully forgot and there were never enough health and ammo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe the "game entirely about murdering civilians" guys are Nazis

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

So now we have Hellbound, Hell Hunt, Hellscreen, White Hell, Hellraid... am I missing something?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

laserghost posted:

So now we have Hellbound, Hell Hunt, Hellscreen, White Hell, Hellraid... am I missing something?

Hell forged

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I gave Hatred the 90 minutes it took to beat and the game takes a huge loving dump in the back half. Like Blood 2/Shojo levels of difficulty bump. You are basically shot dead off screen every five steps.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

laserghost posted:

It's okay, they can settle down their differences in the name of common respect and shilling some games for nostalgic losers like us. Maybe even Substance20, that right-wing Catholic with huge persecution complex who draws Doom and Dusk fanart, will draw a nice "group photo" of the meeting!

he's not just a catholic, he's a loving Calvinist specifically

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

White Hell is legit, yo. It's like Wolf3D TC on Quake engine, and I absolutely love that MIDI metal on the soundtrack. The whole thing has a vibe of obscure shareware/freeware games, like Tapan Kaikki or Worminator.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Unpopular opinion maybe, but the oldskool shooter revival has been successful enough that I'm only really interested in the cream of the crop now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I gotta go be unconscious for a few hours because timezones, but here's every game that's been shown at Realms Deep so far, sans the interviews and the occasional less-than-competent attempt to get in on Devolver's skit turf...

• Graven is the new 3D Realms/Slipgate Ironworks joint. It's a fantasy immersive sim with some Half-Life and Diablo vibes, copious Stephen Weyte and the return of Duke 3D/Half-Life 1 character artist Chuck "Not the Warner Bros legend" Jones. It's due next year.
  • Did you know that ULTRAKILL is fast? Tis true.
  • Gloomwood now has an in-world Resident Evil 4-inspired inventory briefcase. Also: Hands.
  • Brutal Fate is a stand-alone game by the creator of Brutal Doom, and for such a messy mod it sure looks pretty sterile. It hits Early Access in January.
  • Hell Hunt has some crunchy-rear end graphics. In a good way! There's a demo on Steam and Itch.
  • E1M1 Magazine is hitting Kickstarter to bring Sector Effectors to the small press, and bringing a preview issue to the party.
  • New Blood's least-retro game, the F2P mafia-em-up Unfortunate Spacemen, is doing crossovers with ULTRAKILL and... uh... Postal 4?! Strange bedfellows... What are they even doing at a Retro FPS shindig, anyway?
  • Oh, that's what they're doing here. Postal: Brain Damaged is a low-poly bunny-hop through Ye Olde Nuthouse, with an actual semi-competent studio (Hard West developer CreativeForge Games) involved.
  • Cyber Hook has you speedrun and grappling through a synthwave album cover.
  • Doombringer bringing that oddly sterile Doom 3 vibe to this weird fauxtro genre. The first episode will be completely free, like old times, with the rest of the games being Steam DLC. The project lead is very sleepy.
  • The Dread X Collection 2 is out now, for all your squirrel-stapling needs.
  • EFFIGY gettin' ominous in that Haunted PS1 way. There's an old pre-alpha demo on Itch. I watched Oshry stream it when it came out and he friggin' loved it. Early Access next year!
  • Oh yeah, Hellbound came out, didn't it?

There'll probably be more stuff later, but frankly, that's for Tomorrow Kins to worry about.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

laserghost posted:

Nope, not really. I took a good try at the game 2 or 3 years ago, and the AI in the game is bullshit, they hit you perfectly with the basic pistols the moment you take a peek from behind the corner. The gelatinous models are on full display through and through, there is very little music (just 5 or 6 short instrumental loops), and the game is peppered with stupidly hard jumps and stuff like rats that can hurt you (and stop your movement during a stupidly hard jump).

There are three actually unique things about Kingpin, one is an early location damage system, which means headshots are a must, the very bare "team" management system, which you only need to use when the story forces you to, and the "dialogue system", where you need to be nice to everyone if you want to actually progress in the game.

The noir art deco looks is very cool in places, but most of the time you feel like traversing the biggest back alleys in the universe.
I feel like Kingpin is one of those games that doesn't do anything revolutionary or even provide the greatest gameplay experience, but there's something idiosyncratic about the setting that can draw you in when you're 10 or 12 and it's one of the first games you play. Kingpin has this mix of Prohibition-era mobster and modern Tarantino-inspired gangster cultures to go along with its mix of dieselpunk and cyberpunk technology and aesthetics. The game doesn't do much traditional worldbuilding or even really bother explaining why it's world is the way it is, but the aesthetic is enough to fire the imagination. In this sense the game Iron Storm (4x Studios, 2003) is very much my Kingpin; it's a long grind of a not-entirely-completed game, but it's set in an alternate-history "futuristic" WWI that mixes tech and aesthetics from WWI, the Russian Civil War, WW2, even little bits of Korea and Vietnam. Mechanically it's a bad game, but it's still one of my favorites.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got Maximum action and I'm really loving the mindless shooting. I liked Ultrakill demo but I'm wondering, does the current early access got more stuff than the demo? I dig the gameplay but for some reason not so much the maps.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mordja posted:

Unpopular opinion maybe, but the oldskool shooter revival has been successful enough that I'm only really interested in the cream of the crop now.

Same. Luckily the only ones I’m interested in (Dusk, Amid Evil and Ion Fury) have or will have Switch ports.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ETPC posted:

he's not just a catholic, he's a loving Calvinist specifically

So he's not a Catholic at all!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

I gotta go be unconscious for a few hours because timezones, but here's every game that's been shown at Realms Deep so far, sans the interviews and the occasional less-than-competent attempt to get in on Devolver's skit turf...

• Graven is the new 3D Realms/Slipgate Ironworks joint. It's a fantasy immersive sim with some Half-Life and Diablo vibes, copious Stephen Weyte and the return of Duke 3D/Half-Life 1 character artist Chuck "Not the Warner Bros legend" Jones. It's due next year.
  • Did you know that ULTRAKILL is fast? Tis true.
  • Gloomwood now has an in-world Resident Evil 4-inspired inventory briefcase. Also: Hands.
  • Brutal Fate is a stand-alone game by the creator of Brutal Doom, and for such a messy mod it sure looks pretty sterile. It hits Early Access in January.
  • Hell Hunt has some crunchy-rear end graphics. In a good way! There's a demo on Steam and Itch.
  • E1M1 Magazine is hitting Kickstarter to bring Sector Effectors to the small press, and bringing a preview issue to the party.
  • New Blood's least-retro game, the F2P mafia-em-up Unfortunate Spacemen, is doing crossovers with ULTRAKILL and... uh... Postal 4?! Strange bedfellows... What are they even doing at a Retro FPS shindig, anyway?
  • Oh, that's what they're doing here. Postal: Brain Damaged is a low-poly bunny-hop through Ye Olde Nuthouse, with an actual semi-competent studio (Hard West developer CreativeForge Games) involved.
  • Cyber Hook has you speedrun and grappling through a synthwave album cover.
  • Doombringer bringing that oddly sterile Doom 3 vibe to this weird fauxtro genre. The first episode will be completely free, like old times, with the rest of the games being Steam DLC. The project lead is very sleepy.
  • The Dread X Collection 2 is out now, for all your squirrel-stapling needs.
  • EFFIGY gettin' ominous in that Haunted PS1 way. There's an old pre-alpha demo on Itch. I watched Oshry stream it when it came out and he friggin' loved it. Early Access next year!
  • Oh yeah, Hellbound came out, didn't it?

There'll probably be more stuff later, but frankly, that's for Tomorrow Kins to worry about.
I worry that it'll be too esoteric for me, but Graven definitely had the best showing on that list.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

It would be cool if the retro FPS genre didn't have every other dev be loving bigots. :sigh:

The unfortunate reality of any sort of backwards looking trend is that it's naturally going to attract chuds because their whole deal is yearning for a mythical better past that never existed. They like retro games because they just see modern games sucking as "more evidence" of how civilization has declined since we let (insert minority here) have rights.

It does suck when you prefer a style of game that just happened to go out of fashion because of changing trends and the only people still making it are extremely conservative diehards whose obsessive hatred of any new ideas is what gives them the motivation to create. Thankfully there are at least some retro FPS devs that are totally cool and normal and also just happen to prefer a style of game that went out of fashion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

I worry that it'll be too esoteric for me, but Graven definitely had the best showing on that list.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
graven looks fully sick as hell, i will buy everything new blood because i trust dave oshry implicitly. hell hunt looks good as gently caress. e1m1 magazine seems SUPER promising. effigy is a cool surprise!