Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Is tarkov more playable atm? I'm talking matchmaking, crashes, stutter. I remember a couple of weeks ago a patch went out and I couldn't play a map without crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
single player tarkov is still fun

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

NJersey posted:

I bet the recent AI/Scav improvements have helped that. I haven't messed with it in months, I should give it another go.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm still using PACA and the penis helmet and bank robber rigs and the SKS and other poo poo nobody wants so I don't worry so much about losing gear, I worry more about where I'm going to put it all when I log on the next day and find I got five or six full kits back in insurance.

If you use therapist for insurance, she will hold your stuff for ~5 days instead of what prapor does

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

NJersey posted:

Is this the emutarkov thing I've heard about? Been thinking about giving this a go the next time I feel like playing.

How difficult is it to set up? Does it play nice when they roll a patch out?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jarf posted:

Is this the emutarkov thing I've heard about? Been thinking about giving this a go the next time I feel like playing.

How difficult is it to set up? Does it play nice when they roll a patch out?

It is easy to setup. You create a 2nd launcher and game with a couple swapped files and fake a server on your computer. Never needs to connect online and is all local.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its called something else now to help emphasize they'll never make a multiplayer component to it. Anyways IIRC the setup is basically copying your tarkov folders over to a new place and then dropping in a few extra bits to replace the launcher and a backend server emulator or something like that. Its been a while. You have to have a legit copy of the game though (which shouldn't be a problem for anyone in this thread).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I really wish I could use ALT-Tab in this game and it'd stop stealing focus.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Anybody know how to make a completely fresh character on EmuTarkov? Everything runs fine, but even when creating a new profile, or wiping profiles through the launcher, I always end up in game with a level 69 character with a fully upgraded hideout, billions of rubles, and all traders unlocked to lvl4. Kind of defeats the point.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Gabriel S. posted:

I really wish I could use ALT-Tab in this game and it'd stop stealing focus.

Running borderless made alt tabbing a lot less painful for me

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
SPtarkov is super simple to setup, and pretty easy to edit stuff so you can have longer raids, raiders on each map, more guards for bosses and basically anything else you want to make it harder/easier. Is fun, tarkov has hands down the best FPS mechanics I’ve played in years.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Since there's some new people in the thread, hot tip I would avoid factory for the next few hours. Pestily is running a tourney for 100 streamers and they're all basically running factory on repeat killing everything that moves.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ChesterJT posted:

Since there's some new people in the thread, hot tip I would avoid factory for the next few hours. Pestily is running a tourney for 100 streamers and they're all basically running factory on repeat killing everything that moves.

Factory 5 stacks all the way.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

want me that streamer glock

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Famethrowa posted:

This game is a great Buddhism simulator because it teaches you that attachment is pain and to simply let go.

:hmmyes:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

ChesterJT posted:

The chance to kill streamers with an MP-153 and no kit is too tempting

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've been having fun with EmuTarkov for a few days now and it's really pretty good. They seem to have added by default npc PMCs with semi-random kits who roam around the map and engage with scavs, but respect faction loyalties - so if you're USEC the USEC ai won't attack you except in retaliation.

It's still too easy; I'm on like 12 raids without a single death yet, playing with AI set to online default difficulty. But there are some other options which might make them harder, and there are a surprisingly large number of user-made mods too. If this stays updated with future versions of vanilla Tarky it could be a really legit single player experience.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'm a huge weenie who really likes Tarkov but got to the point that I was having multiple heart attacks per play session from mundane gunfights and ambushes. An SP version where you can actually progress sounds like exactly the right speed for my current level of competence and blood pressure

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's worth giving a shot if you find the MP experience too stressful. It has some other neat features too. I think the in-game timers all run off the emulated server, so whenever I close the game the server stops counting time, so my genny doesn't run out of fuel when I'm offline - but construction and healing timers also don't increment. They've also implemented a simulated flea market.

It's basically the entire game with every system recreated. The only critique I have is that the NPCs are more like old arena-shooter style bots, and their limitations and stupidity become really apparent without other players around. I often find an AI just standing in a shipping container staring at a wall, or trying to plink at me through five walls from the opposite side of Factory. But I think that's just a problem that's inherent to Tarkov.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
I usually play on hard AI and never take insurance to make it a little harder and have a little risk.

But yea the AI is wonky, the mods seem to help a bit.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Is there an updated guide on how to install this? I tried going by the youtube tutorial linked on Reddit but it seems to be outdated.

Edit: nevermind, found the Guilded community.

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 7, 2020

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Squashing Machine posted:

Is there an updated guide on how to install this? I tried going by the youtube tutorial linked on Reddit but it seems to be outdated.

I've found the guilded page but there's nothing there, found the reddit group with nothing there, and the offline-tarkov page with a bunch of guides about how to mod the poo poo out of after you've installed it but nothing about actually installed it or where to get the files you apparently need. I hate this impenetrable poo poo.

Edit: Think I finally found a good youtube video. I'd link it but not sure what the rules are on that in the Games area.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 8, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I spawned as a scav whose last name was Fartovvy :haw:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I spawned as a scav whose last name was Fartovvy :haw:

There are some fun ones hidden in the name list. I still remember Kostyan Robokop.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

I've found the guilded page but there's nothing there, found the reddit group with nothing there, and the offline-tarkov page with a bunch of guides about how to mod the poo poo out of after you've installed it but nothing about actually installed it or where to get the files you apparently need. I hate this impenetrable poo poo.

Edit: Think I finally found a good youtube video. I'd link it but not sure what the rules are on that in the Games area.

I managed to make it work, but you have to join Guilded and add yourself to the group to get to the instructions. Pretty much boils down to making a copy of the game and unzipping some files in the right place.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I followed the guide in the #install channel of the EmuTarkov discord here: https://discord.gg/VKzVHq

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
just got "Nikita Blyatny" as a scav name, love it

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I'm a huge weenie who really likes Tarkov but got to the point that I was having multiple heart attacks per play session from mundane gunfights and ambushes. An SP version where you can actually progress sounds like exactly the right speed for my current level of competence and blood pressure

You do get over it eventually. The game is much more arcadey once you learn all the map flows and loot locations. :unsmith:

That's a good and bad thing though really, once certain engagements have solutions it's a little boring. That's why new maps are fun.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

You do get over it eventually. The game is much more arcadey once you learn all the map flows and loot locations. :unsmith:

That's a good and bad thing though really, once certain engagements have solutions it's a little boring. That's why new maps are fun.

Now that I've figured out that ADAD spam works like 2014-era pre-momentum nerf CSGO, firefights in this game became 100x easier.

I dont doubt I spend most of the time i'm visible on enemies screens floating around corners a moment after my bullets already hit them. Gloriously janky.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

RYYSZLA posted:

just got "Nikita Blyatny" as a scav name, love it

My favorite so far has been "Arnold Robokop". He obviously dreamed of being an 80's action movie star and died from friendly fire 5 minutes into the mission.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RYYSZLA posted:

Now that I've figured out that ADAD spam works like 2014-era pre-momentum nerf CSGO, firefights in this game became 100x easier.

I dont doubt I spend most of the time i'm visible on enemies screens floating around corners a moment after my bullets already hit them. Gloriously janky.

honestly it's the worst parts of the game. guns feel so good right up until you get into a close range fight.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Three and a half weeks in Tarkov and I've gone from pants-shittingly terrified and almost unable to move when I spawn in as a scav to howling and laughing like an extra in a Mad Max movie as I attempt to find the biggest motherfucker on the map and cheap shot him before he sees me coming.

Not QUITE that confident with my PMC yet but getting there.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Gabriel S. posted:

The AKM, AKMS, AKMSN and Vepr KM/VPO-136 are all good starter guns even with basic 7.62. I'm somewhat preferential to the Vepr AKM / VPO-209 366TKM carbine with .366 AP and it's probably overpowered but don't let that stop you. The SKS is fine along but it typically costs the same or even more than better weapons.

Outside of that, the minimum you want after that is Level 4 Body Armor with a Level 3 Helmet. Going further having the Peltor ComTac 2 headset along with grenades is going to put you in a good place with out completely breaking your budget.

If you use anything else, the most important thing is good ammo and even cheapest body armor.

So since i posted this, I started running AKMS with PS ammo, level 4 armor from ragman (the 50k ones that are like a beige tan), sometimes no helmet and ComTac2 every single time and a single grenade. Also trying out various sights on the gun, modded out my gun to have the best price per ergo items while kepeing it cheap. It's around 65k with Aluminum Magazines (i take 3 extra into raids now with a 60 stack of bullets spare to reload clips), Rk-4 grips, bumper pad and whatever else that adds ergo and such without breaking the bank. I haven't been playing as much as I'd like because well life happens but been having a lot of fun.

Been killing more scavs, more players these days.. been more aggressive with players trying to increase my pvp experience. Killed a chad in the dorms the other day with a good head eyes placement.. then promptly died to rashala guard grenade bomb on my way out (i just had to check the gas station).

next wipe, what's the level 1-10 weapons that are accessible right off the start that are decently viable? the pp-19, SKS, What else? I don't like using the 5.45 AK's at all.. probably because I'm not paying 1000 a bullet for my horrible spray and pray.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I used and still use the SKS a ton because 7.62 PS is so competitive. That 10 round mag can be an absolute motherfucker though. I've tried the PP-19 a few times but I don't like it very much, though I think at least some of that is 25 fuckin' years of FPS muscle memory causing me problems. If I'm not literally repeating "go for the legs" to myself constantly then I just kinda instinctively go for the head/center mass instead. It's not an easy lesson to unlearn.

I'm with you on not liking the 5.45 AKs. You can give 3 tushonka to level 1 Prapor for an AKM so there's one not too awful way to get a 7.62 AK early. You can also give 8 of those brown-handled daggers that scavs always have to Peacekeeper for an MP5.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

makrav

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So since i posted this, I started running AKMS with PS ammo, level 4 armor from ragman (the 50k ones that are like a beige tan), sometimes no helmet and ComTac2 every single time and a single grenade. Also trying out various sights on the gun, modded out my gun to have the best price per ergo items while kepeing it cheap. It's around 65k with Aluminum Magazines (i take 3 extra into raids now with a 60 stack of bullets spare to reload clips), Rk-4 grips, bumper pad and whatever else that adds ergo and such without breaking the bank. I haven't been playing as much as I'd like because well life happens but been having a lot of fun.

Been killing more scavs, more players these days.. been more aggressive with players trying to increase my pvp experience. Killed a chad in the dorms the other day with a good head eyes placement.. then promptly died to rashala guard grenade bomb on my way out (i just had to check the gas station).

next wipe, what's the level 1-10 weapons that are accessible right off the start that are decently viable? the pp-19, SKS, What else? I don't like using the 5.45 AK's at all.. probably because I'm not paying 1000 a bullet for my horrible spray and pray.

The 5.45 AKs are all booboo, for the price of decent 5.45 ammo you can get 7.62 PS or BP which are mostly superior. Shotguns are all easily gotten and slugs or 8.5 Magnum are great for shooting unarmored faces and legs. 8 knives will get you an MP5.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

mp-153 is a super fun shotgun that is easy to get from Jaeger Level1 vendor recipe + Scavs. All shotgun ammo is more or less the same when aiming for the legs, so just pick up scav garbage and bang away.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

TipsyMcStagger posted:

This is basically what I did this wipe, 7.62 PS is so much bang for your buck. Even now with plenty of money and the traders unlocked I usually run a AKM or AK104, just now I use BP and mod them up. BP can be made in the hideout, and when you unlock the grenades from peacekeeper it's actually pretty cheap (but time consuming).

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

honestly it's the worst parts of the game. guns feel so good right up until you get into a close range fight.

Oh god this. The amount of COD streamer kiddies who also defend this is ridiculous because if we didn't have ADAD then the game would be sooooo booooring because of all those loving campers (as if "camping" is even a negative thing in a game trying to be a hardcore shooter, god forbid you take your time, use defensive cover and don't sprint through every bush you see and make a ton of noise). They absolutely need to fix ADAD spam, whether through inertia or some other change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

RYYSZLA posted:

How'd they fix this problem in CSGO?

Oysters Autobio posted:

Oh god this. The amount of COD streamer kiddies who also defend this is ridiculous because if we didn't have ADAD then the game would be sooooo booooring because of all those loving campers (as if "camping" is even a negative thing in a game trying to be a hardcore shooter, god forbid you take your time, use defensive cover and don't sprint through every bush you see and make a ton of noise). They absolutely need to fix ADAD spam, whether through inertia or some other change.

My take, the more jittering you do the more stamina you lose.