Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You can get an in-oven temp gauge and check it against your set point.

You can also check for hot/cold zones by spreading pieces of bread out on a rack and seeing how they brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Beef Eater posted:

Is there a way to tell for sure if your oven runs too hot?

Seven bucks.

Best, cheapest oven thermometer.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

You can also check for hot/cold zones by spreading pieces of bread out on a rack and seeing how they brown.

light dusting of flour on a sheet pan or two works as well

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I want to make a recipe that asks to put a chopped onion and spices into the microwave "for about 5 minutes" / "until the onion is softened".

I do not own a microwave.

What would be the closest stovetop equivalent?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Because it would be too easy to confuse with the song the pressure cooker plays.

:vince:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Same Great Paste posted:

I want to make a recipe that asks to put a chopped onion and spices into the microwave "for about 5 minutes" / "until the onion is softened".

Probably just frying the chopped onion in oil for 5-ish minutes. Unless it’s a lot of onions pretty much any pan will do. Put a pan on medium heat, add a bit of oil (a few teaspoons or tablespoons), then the onions and fry, stirring often, until they look right. They should sizzle and make steam. If it’s too hot you may get some browning but that’s ok.

Depending on the spices, mix in at the end. Ground spices can easily burn so just mix them in and evenly coat the onions. Let the spices infuse into the oil briefly and take off the heat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Same Great Paste posted:

This is so bizarre. Can you post the recipe?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
closest would be steaming but yeah thats bizarre

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Probably just frying the chopped onion in oil for 5-ish minutes. Unless it’s a lot of onions pretty much any pan will do. Put a pan on medium heat, add a bit of oil (a few teaspoons or tablespoons), then the onions and fry, stirring often, until they look right. They should sizzle and make steam. If it’s too hot you may get some browning but that’s ok.

Depending on the spices, mix in at the end. Ground spices can easily burn so just mix them in and evenly coat the onions. Let the spices infuse into the oil briefly and take off the heat.

This worked great, Thanks!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

This is so bizarre. Can you post the recipe?

From this book.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m trying to make sauerkraut... is it supposed to smell weird compared to other ferments?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

I’m trying to make sauerkraut... is it supposed to smell weird compared to other ferments?

Does it smell like other sauerkraut you've had? It's supposed to smell weird, but a good weird and not a bad weird.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The microwave start is a pretty common technique for ATK, works well imo. I don't remember if it was one of the ones Kenji came up with, but I think the science is laid out in the intro to Slow Cooker Revolution.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Define weird. My recollection is that yes it smells a little different from kimchi. But with kimchi maybe my nose is distracted by the garlic and chili. But the sauerkraut I made last St. Patty's day did have a bit of a funk. At least in my mind, with sauerkraut you're aiming for a more complete fermentation so it may get more of the fermented funk than kimchi. Like you'll ferment sauerkraut for 2-3 weeks before refrigerating it, but with kimchi it's much less.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Like butyric acid

I’m wondering if it’s just the sulfur in the cabbage

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It really shouldn’t smell like sick.

Cabbage-y, yes. Vomit, no.

What kind of airlock are you using, and what was your recipe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
1 head of cabbage, 1.5 tablespoons kosher salt, tablespoon caraway seed. Chopped cabbage, salted, mashed by hand, put in jar with a weight and paper towel cover

Is airlocking required?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you used about a third to half the amount of salt required, depending on the brand. i bet that's it

measure out 30g per small head or 35-40g for a deec sized head or more realistically 2g salt per 100g cabbage. below 1% salt, lactobacillus cant outcompete the spoiling bacteria

you can sauerkraut in pretty much open air but lactoferment is a salt needing dealio, i wouldnt eat it

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 6, 2020

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

The microwave start is a pretty common technique for ATK, works well imo. I don't remember if it was one of the ones Kenji came up with, but I think the science is laid out in the intro to Slow Cooker Revolution.

It isn't really a "science" so much as the premise of the book being "We think that the process of sauteeing/browning/expending any amount of effort defeats the purpose of slow cooker recipes which should be stupidly easy to put together and require little to no complicated prep prior to turning the slow cooker on even if the quality of the finished product is compromised."

Which, I mean, is fine for some people, but it is for exactly this reason that I returned my copy of Slow Cooker Revolution (back in 2013 when I was using a slow cooker a lot).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I can totally see how that book would take that direction given the audience it's catering to.

That said, sweating onions in some oil and spices is the easiest cooking skill I can think of and the benefits to the flavor are huge.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The first Slow Cooker Revolution actually has more prep, it's the second where they were like "oh you wanted something easy??"

Sauteeing an onion obviously isn't hard, but it's not a bad idea for a morning shortcut, either. I probably wouldn't do it if the focus of the dish was the onion, but for pot roast or whatever, it's good. The microwave is actually better at softening/toasting than you might expect. Whenever I make a pilaf, I absolutely use the microwave to toast the rice/pasta, and the results are even better than stovetop.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey Costco in some areas has been getting legit A5 wagyu steaks for $100/lb.

Being rich and fat (the steak not me) what would be the best accompaniment for it if I can find one around LA

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Anne Whateley posted:

The first Slow Cooker Revolution actually has more prep, it's the second where they were like "oh you wanted something easy??"

Sauteeing an onion obviously isn't hard, but it's not a bad idea for a morning shortcut, either. I probably wouldn't do it if the focus of the dish was the onion, but for pot roast or whatever, it's good. The microwave is actually better at softening/toasting than you might expect. Whenever I make a pilaf, I absolutely use the microwave to toast the rice/pasta, and the results are even better than stovetop.

Yeah, in the slow cooker book I have from ATK they do a pretty good job of explaining which tradeoffs they are making and wh ou ch they aren't for a particular dish and why. I'm trying to keep real (not convenience) food on the table for 2-3 meals a day for my family and I am absolutely willing to take the shortcuts that make that easier. It is kind of like the bread machin.; I'm well aware that kneading the bread myself and letting it rise and checking on it and putting a loaf in the oven would result in a better product, but the bread machine still makes a loaf that tastes good for like a 3rd the effort.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I live around LA, so don't worry I'll make the sides you just tell me the date

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
How does this sound for Coconut gravy
code:
    3 tablespoons coconut oil
    5 tablespoons coconut flour
    1 ¼ cups water, beef or chicken broth
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sesame oil – optional
I actually have coconut oil and flour both with some salt, it would be doable, even better with if i picked up some beef broth today

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why wouldn't you just mix coconut cream and broth instead of trying to make a cream out of oil and flour?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

excellent bird guy posted:

code:
    1 teaspoon salt
I actually have coconut oil and flour both with some salt, it would be doable, even better with if i picked up some beef broth today

NO

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

code:
    1 teaspoon salt

Your posting in this thread is a revelation

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Real talk, are you avoiding butter because of lactose or because of nutrition? Are you coconut theme for effect or to be GF?

These sorts of posts are better if we know your aim. "My goals are _____, I'm thinking _____" helps us to know which way to direct our feedback.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Hey Costco in some areas has been getting legit A5 wagyu steaks for $100/lb.

Being rich and fat (the steak not me) what would be the best accompaniment for it if I can find one around LA

I'm a pretty big fan of how the fancy teppanyaki places serve it, esp the soy and wasabi.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

These sorts of posts are better if we know your aim. "My goals are _____, I'm thinking _____" helps us to know which way to direct our feedback.
It is to make coconut gravy, whatever that may be.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

BrianBoitano posted:

Real talk, are you avoiding butter because of lactose or because of nutrition? Are you coconut theme for effect or to be GF?

edit: I had to think hard about this. My goal is to do something with coconut flour. I'm thinking make gravy?
I don't have an oven just a hot plate.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 7, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It is to make coconut gravy, whatever that may be.

There are a lot of dishes you could say have coconut gravy but they're not normally made this way. If you have coconut flour and want to get rid of it, I think its a fine experiment.

From doing a quick Google search you can in fact use it in dishes that would normally use coconut cream, like Thai or Caribbean curries. Or put it in a smoothie with some pineapples for a pina colada.

Try something like this:
1. Use the coconut oil to sear some tofu or chicken. Add a lot of curry paste and fry it until it bubbles and the oil separates from the paste.
2. Add a couple cups of broth and then let it simmer until the protein is fully cooked and a lot of the liquid has boiled off
3. Make a slurry with the coconut flour that has no clumps and isn't terribly grainy, then mix it in, in very small amounts, very gradually, as it cools.

Making the slurry instead of putting in the flour directly will give you a chance to mix in clumps and determine the grittiness and thickness once it will be mixed with liquid

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 7, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

edit: I had to think hard about this. My goal is to do something with coconut flour. I'm thinking make gravy?

Coconut flour does not thicken at all really, other than just sucking up some moisture. It also is not nearly as smooth as wheat flour. If you cook it long enough with enough liquid, the coconut will soften enough to not feel like you are eating sand, but it will still be a texture like grits/cream of wheat.

It might even taste good, just do NOT go into it expecting it to even remind you of what we think of as beef gravy.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thickening is done mainly by gluten and amylopectin, both of which is lacking in coconut flour

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you want to use a lot, and you only have a hot plate, I'm thinking pancakes. I've no experience but it looks like there are plenty of recipes out there!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
have you considered getting rid of the hotplate and getting an induction cooker? they are much more versatile and fairly cheap

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

code:
    1 teaspoon salt

This wouldn't make gravy so much as it would make sludge. Coconut flour thickens in a way that's very unlike wheat flour. Trying to make "analogs" like this is really folly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BraveUlysses posted:

have you considered getting rid of the hotplate and getting an induction cooker? they are much more versatile and fairly cheap

As I recall they are literally in a hotel and have very limited options.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

guppy posted:

As I recall they are literally in a hotel and have very limited options.
As long as their pans are induction compatible, an induction burner works everywhere a hot plate works. It's easier too since it doesn't get very hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

code:
    1 teaspoon salt

I saw a cookie recipe the other thay that uses coconut flour as a base. It used sunflower seed "butter" for flavor and the inside turned green because of the chlorophyll in the sunflower. It was p neat tbh.