Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Elviscat posted:

1.4kw is the axfast charge rate for 120V, so I bet that outlet was converted to 120v at some point, for some reason, does it have its own double-pole breaker in the panel?

E: I know it's at a rental so you probably don't want to dig, but you could check the voltage pin-to-pin with a multimeter, and if you're only getting 120V you could request your landlords have an electrician out to troubleshoot it.

I could try that. I just saved her $1000 because her handyman wanted to rip out the bathroom wall to fix a clogged drain and I knew that was BS and a real plumber had it fixed in 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ID.3 test drives have started in Norway, I'll try to get one tomorrow. Here's a translated excerpt from someone's experience:

quote:

Not easy to understand how to activate/deactivate and set cruise control and limiter. I found it easily misregistered button presses on both sides of the steering wheel. This is because button presses were registered just by fingers gliding past buttons without pressing down in any way. Not possible to feel your way to the buttons, you have to look at them. This because presses are registered as soon as the finger is barely near. I don't think there were other tactile markers to help the fingers find their way. (Example of such markers is how some PC keyboards have ridges on F and J keys).

Seems as bad as I feared. Rear visibility was another problem.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ID.4 interior, English subs available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjpHoiPHZ7U

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lucid claims a 9.9s quarter-mile:
https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/02/in-ego-battle-lucid-motors-claims-to-beat-tesla-with-9-9-second-quarter-mile/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRT7bIJcis

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skoda Enyaq tech specs: https://cdn.skoda-storyboard.com/2020/08/TD-ENYAQ-iV-en.pdf

Only for the 2WDs but the there are some interesting numbers there (for the 77 kWh version).

Kerb weight 2075, which isn't too bad. I was afraid it would be a porker like the EQC, but it's in the Tesla range, but around 70 kg heavier than the Model Y.

Wheelbase is only 276.5 cm, compared to a Model Y which is 289.5 cm. A Model 3 is 287.5. 11 cm less is very significant, and it has a bigger battery.

Which leads to turning circle, and this is a blew my dad toupée away. 9.3 m! It's not entirely fair to compare with the Teslas until we see the 4WD specs, but the Model 3 has 11.8 m which is like an oil tanker in comparison. A better comparison is the short, stub nosed, RWD-only city zipper BMW i3. And it has 9.86 m. How the hell did they do that?

A more apples to apples would be with a Model Y RWD, but as we know it has its home where the buffalo roam and the parking lots stretch as far and wide as the eye can see. Not so in the old world, where parking garages, old town streets, ferries and the like can require the dexterity of a supple ferret. The Model 3 does come in RWD though, with the same steering setup and turning circle, so it's not unfair to assume the Model Y RWD will retain its vast, lunar orbit-like 12.1 m.

I think this looks like the best EV ever made, total package considered considered, from a practical perspective with no particular consideration to fart noises and Mars maps. There is the issue of the charging network, but it isn't bad on its own in Europe, it's just not as good as Tesla's. And it can never be, because Teslas can charge on their own, plus all the other ones. But the range, charging speed and European network available to the Enyaq compares very well to the Model S around 2015-2016, and it was a great holiday machine then.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Westy543 posted:

I like how Electrek only showed the front seat interior photos. Autocar posted the back seat, trunk, and exterior too, and NGL, I wasn't expecting it to look this nice. There is still some light camo, but this is pretty much the production ID.4: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/first-drive-2021-volkswagen-id-4-prototype

Not realistically coming to the US any time soon, despite this being the ONE(1) goddamn car we are supposed to get. Very very limited quantities will be coming stateside, most are going to Europe to meet regulations.

Wow that's ugly. Looks like a Liger.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aah dammit I didn't order the storage pack for my car and now won't have hooks for a luggage net in the trunk or somewhere behind the bottom display in the cabin for my phone /sunnies. Whyyy is this an option.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just tried the ID.3. Only had it for a few minutes as I just dropped in, loads of people had booked it through the day and the guy was nice to me even if I was honest about not being a buyer right away.

First impressions:
That guy I quoted didn't know what he was talking about. The steering wheel controls aren't all touch and there is in fact a cross shaped depression in the pad that lets you find the right button without looking. It doesn't trigger when you just brush over it, to press it there is a definite physical click, similar to the I-Pace. Perhaps there is a touch-or-click setting? Definitely not ideal, but certainly no deal breaker. You'll get used to it over a weekend.

Imgur through the app tends to compress a lot, hopefully you can see it:

The interior was a bit noisier than I expected, but the car was on 20" rims and the curtain for the panoramic roof was pulled back. I tried swiping it forward to no avail.

The power was a bit less than expected. I think the Leaf 40 is faster on the onramp and off the lights. Maybe it was in some eco mode?

Steering was very solid feeling, turning circle was hilarious. Easily matches an e-Up if not better. Suspension ride was great, even on 20s. Very plush and solid feeling as good VWs can be. Should be even better on more modest rims. Window control "rear" selector was annoying as expected.

Seats with the thigh support were great, very comfortable. It feels like you're sitting high up as well.

I didn't spend any time in the menus as I wanted just to feel how it drove and how the steering wheel controls worked. But my impression so far, this platform is a slam dunk.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Ola posted:

Just tried the ID.3. Only had it for a few minutes as I just dropped in, loads of people had booked it through the day and the guy was nice to me even if I was honest about not being a buyer right away.

First impressions:
That guy I quoted didn't know what he was talking about. The steering wheel controls aren't all touch and there is in fact a cross shaped depression in the pad that lets you find the right button without looking. It doesn't trigger when you just brush over it, to press it there is a definite physical click, similar to the I-Pace. Perhaps there is a touch-or-click setting? Definitely not ideal, but certainly no deal breaker. You'll get used to it over a weekend.

Imgur through the app tends to compress a lot, hopefully you can see it:

The interior was a bit noisier than I expected, but the car was on 20" rims and the curtain for the panoramic roof was pulled back. I tried swiping it forward to no avail.

The power was a bit less than expected. I think the Leaf 40 is faster on the onramp and off the lights. Maybe it was in some eco mode?

Steering was very solid feeling, turning circle was hilarious. Easily matches an e-Up if not better. Suspension ride was great, even on 20s. Very plush and solid feeling as good VWs can be. Should be even better on more modest rims. Window control "rear" selector was annoying as expected.

Seats with the thigh support were great, very comfortable. It feels like you're sitting high up as well.

I didn't spend any time in the menus as I wanted just to feel how it drove and how the steering wheel controls worked. But my impression so far, this platform is a slam dunk.

This is good to hear, and I hope they sell a ton cause I want them to make all the crazy MEB variants

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

knox_harrington posted:

Aah dammit I didn't order the storage pack for my car and now won't have hooks for a luggage net in the trunk or somewhere behind the bottom display in the cabin for my phone /sunnies. Whyyy is this an option.

just porsche things

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MrOnBicycle posted:

Wow that's ugly. Looks like a Liger.

Is there an electric SUV that isn't ugly?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Godzilla07 posted:

Joking aside though, the Skoda was ok. But most SUVs look like poo poo, and then when designers are doing EV BS to cars they just get worse.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
What in the BLUE gently caress happened to the headlights?!?!

The earlier spy photos looked so much better. :(

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

McStephenson posted:

What in the BLUE gently caress happened to the headlights?!?!

The earlier spy photos looked so much better. :(

They...are taped over because for some reason they think it's necessary to keep some sort of camo on the car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Skoda Enyaq doesn't really look like a SUV to me. It looks like a sensible station wagon extended a bit vertically to fit the battery.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

They...are taped over because for some reason they think it's necessary to keep some sort of camo on the car.

The front has some extra things that probably aren't done yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
EV Supercar Rallycross?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwRnBhtevE

Yes pls. Also Burnout level = Australian

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

EV Supercar Rallycross?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwRnBhtevE

Yes pls. Also Burnout level = Australian

Using dry ice to cool the batteries brings us that much closer to the cyber future promised to us by 80s movie where anything futuristic is constantly steaming and I'm here for it

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Shai-Hulud posted:

I guess that’s okay. I was gonna say, I honestly like the look of it until that photo, but to be honest I didn’t look the photo over that critically.

I don’t know how I’m going to secure one here in the US, but I want one.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VideoGameVet posted:

The perfect accessory for an EV is a folding bicycle. Rode a few miles to breakfast in Santa Monica, by the time I was finished eating the car was charged t0 95% (from 60%). $12.15 ... 24.656 kWh.

Personally I never charge past 80% when using a DC Fast Charger like that EVGo unless I have a good reason. I heard it stresses the batteries. I am also quite often wrong.

Does anyone else know if using DCFC past 80% routinely can weaken the batteries?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Using dry ice to cool the batteries brings us that much closer to the cyber future promised to us by 80s movie where anything futuristic is constantly steaming and I'm here for it

If we solidify the co2 it* can't be a greenhouse gas :eng99:

*momentarily

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

CannonFodder posted:

Personally I never charge past 80% when using a DC Fast Charger like that EVGo unless I have a good reason. I heard it stresses the batteries. I am also quite often wrong.

Does anyone else know if using DCFC past 80% routinely can weaken the batteries?

Not really, it slows down significantly past 80% for most cars except like the e-Tron (which locks away a large enough portion of the battery from the user that it's basically hitting 80% when the car shows 100%). Like, in general, it's probably very, very slightly more damage to the batteries vs using AC, but the real downside is how much of a groin punch paying for by-the-minute 0-75 kW speeds (or 75-150 kW before they offered the special pricing option for Niro / Kona owners for EA) for speeds very close to level 2 charging. It's ideal to switch to a level 2 after that if you need more than 80% to get to your next destination, if available. Ideally you aren't leaving a BEV above 80% charge for too long - charging near or to 100% is okay if you're going to leave afterwards right away. This is of course, Best Practice, and many people may not need to worry about this in exchange for a few %s of battery degradation (or cars that lock off enough of the battery that's not a huge deal).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Just to add to the previous answers, fast charging and staying at high states of charge stresses the batteries, but it's all relative. 80% in one car is a different real % than another. C rating is also a thing, a 50 kW charger isn't much of a challenge for a 90 kWh battery. Fast charging above 80% isn't a particular problem, it's more fast charging every day as a habit, or to put it another way, doing lots of miles quickly. If the car is on 80% limit (if available) and charged at home for most of the calendar year, it's fine to use 100% and fast charge when needed.

This guy has fast charged the poo poo out of his own batteries and tests a car which has done very little, and talks about it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9VxDzr7prc

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ola posted:

The Skoda Enyaq doesn't really look like a SUV to me. It looks like a sensible station wagon extended a bit vertically to fit the battery.

I thought the ID4 was going to be a station wagon and was confused for a while when the Enyaq came out looking like that. I'm now looking at finance options.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah that's a good profile. I seem to recall a picture of the seating position as well and it looked like the rear seating position isn't hosed by the batteries as well (how anyone accepts this is beyond me).
Looking forward to test driving one in the future.

VVV: I like.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 6, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like a slammed Kodiaq with a slightly lower roof line in the back, which isn't the worst thing

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm seeing a touch of Buick in the profile and rear. The front is pure Veedub.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CannonFodder posted:

Kia has a 67kwh battery that never charges past 64kwh. Hyundai Kona does this too. 100% is really 97%.

I drive to LA once a week and I prefer having enough range to get there and back (226 mi) if I have to,

It’s also a lease :-)

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

After 3 weeks of frustrating experiences with multiple Hyundai dealers, we finally managed to get a dealer to present us with an offer sheet that was actually equivalent to the price advertised on their website. But of course even these guys felt the need to try and slip a $250 wheel lock set into the final paperwork after we'd verbally confirmed the number. $800 above MSRP, but at least it's what they were advertising. I've never been involved in buying a car from a dealer before, and I'm not anxious to do it again anytime soon. If I had to have another exchange along the lines of "So can you just give us the out the door price?" "Well what you have to understand about the two tone paint is that the chief designer of Audi..." I'll go insane.

The Kona (and EVs in general I suppose) is super fun to drive though, the acceleration from stop is crazy compared to my ancient WRX that takes about 2 minutes for the turbo to spool up. Looking forward to borrowing it!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Ah yeah, had my own fun time with Hyundai this weekend. Test drove the only Sonata Hybrid for sale in the entire state of Arizona. They had to take it out of the showroom even. :v:
After I asked about any arriving sometime in the near future (that one was not the trim I want), they claim that Hyundai is allocating no hybrids for the state, and they won't even let them place an order. They said if I want one they have arrangements with some dealerships in Cali they trade Sonatas for Palisades. Of course I have to like the thing that's currently rarer here than Lamborghini Huracans.

I don't have a lot of negotiating power with that kind of deal I suppose, but I can always use the argument a greyhound ticket to California is only $50 and day of my time.

E: Geh, got this thread mixed up with the general car buying thread. :downs:

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 7, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Silly question, what kind of tpms does Model 3 have? Does it tell you what your exact pressure is?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Charles posted:

Silly question, what kind of tpms does Model 3 have? Does it tell you what your exact pressure is?

It does. The poll rate is kinda trash though I can often get halfway out of my neighborhood before the computer will finally report pressures.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

It does. The poll rate is kinda trash though I can often get halfway out of my neighborhood before the computer will finally report pressures.

OK I'm renting one and if there's one thing I've found its that they never check pressures and if I forget my own gauge at least I have that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Charles posted:

OK I'm renting one and if there's one thing I've found its that they never check pressures and if I forget my own gauge at least I have that.

Oh ya it’s fine for that. I still check with a gauge when I service the tires, but that’s just a good habit rather than a need.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

PirateDentist posted:

Ah yeah, had my own fun time with Hyundai this weekend. Test drove the only Sonata Hybrid for sale in the entire state of Arizona. They had to take it out of the showroom even. :v:
After I asked about any arriving sometime in the near future (that one was not the trim I want), they claim that Hyundai is allocating no hybrids for the state, and they won't even let them place an order. They said if I want one they have arrangements with some dealerships in Cali they trade Sonatas for Palisades. Of course I have to like the thing that's currently rarer here than Lamborghini Huracans.

I don't have a lot of negotiating power with that kind of deal I suppose, but I can always use the argument a greyhound ticket to California is only $50 and day of my time.

E: Geh, got this thread mixed up with the general car buying thread. :downs:

Escondido Kia told me that they sell a lot of EV’s a Plug-In Hybrids to Arizona residents. I expect their Hyundai dealership does the same.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Good to have thermal management.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Kreez posted:

After 3 weeks of frustrating experiences with multiple Hyundai dealers, we finally managed to get a dealer to present us with an offer sheet that was actually equivalent to the price advertised on their website. But of course even these guys felt the need to try and slip a $250 wheel lock set into the final paperwork after we'd verbally confirmed the number. $800 above MSRP, but at least it's what they were advertising. I've never been involved in buying a car from a dealer before, and I'm not anxious to do it again anytime soon. If I had to have another exchange along the lines of "So can you just give us the out the door price?" "Well what you have to understand about the two tone paint is that the chief designer of Audi..." I'll go insane.

The Kona (and EVs in general I suppose) is super fun to drive though, the acceleration from stop is crazy compared to my ancient WRX that takes about 2 minutes for the turbo to spool up. Looking forward to borrowing it!

No offense it really sounds like you could use a broker, neither car should be selling for above msrp.

Whenever I see one in person the Kona always reminds me of Deadpool.

Godzilla07 posted:

I-pace looks great, and the e-tron/eqc just look like normal SUVs from their brands.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 7, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Once I saw that the headlights aren't actually the cool slim bit at the top, but the ugly big lights further down, the looks were ruined. Same with the low indicators at the back,

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hyundai are giving it a facelift for the next MY. EV version hasn't been shown yet, this is the fossil one:

Step backward IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Complaining that there aren't good SUV options for electric cars is a bit odd, it's interesting non-SUV options that are thin on the ground. I guess it's easier to package the battery in a taller car, andy also anything a bit sporty has to be pretty powerful to overcome the weight penalty of the battery pack.

Will be interesting to see where the e-tron GT is priced.