Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Don't need hp if your roll is good enough to not get hit :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm really, really not a big fan of "your HP shrinks when you die" in a game that is going to be killing you frequently. Also the weapon durability is godawful.

Durability is almost never an issue because you get back to 100% durability every time you sit at a bonfire. This game shits bonfires at you, so you're never far from one. Also repair powder is more plentiful in this game. And later in the game there are rings to mitigate durability. I generally hate durability for equipment in any game, but DS2's system is pretty forgiving.

I also rush to 99 AGI because gently caress it. Damage increase in the early game comes from upgrading your weapon. The scaling increase is dogshit until much later on, so I only increase STR or DEX as needed to use whatever weapon. I'll put points in health if I'm dying a lot.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Durability is more of an issue in DS2 than the others in the series. It's the only one where I need to remember to have repair powder on me. Certainly in No Man's Wharf.

I usually rush to the Bastille to get the whatever knuckle ring. Maybe it is because I like to use weapons that bang off hallways and poo poo more often.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So apparently company of champions makes the game harder for no real reason? I've been playing on hardmode apparently!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

And Tyler Too! posted:

So apparently company of champions makes the game harder for no real reason? I've been playing on hardmode apparently!

Not for no real reason - it's explicitly meant to be the game's version of a hard(er) mode.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

Coc is regular mode, base game is easy mode.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wish I had known that before I spent half an hour beating my head against Pursuer. I did win, eventually.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you pick up 50 awestones you can get the strangest ring in the game, the Vanquisher's Seal, which turns your unarmed attack into a potent but short-range weapon.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Berzerker posted:

Durability is more of an issue in DS2 than the others in the series. It's the only one where I need to remember to have repair powder on me. Certainly in No Man's Wharf.

Yeah, it's a legit issue; I have the same problem at the beginning of the game and I'm a Dex/rapiers/scimitars person. It's bad for us early on, too.

It's one of the things I hate about DS2 not because it's like, an unsolvable or crippling problem, but because it 1) is annoying, 2) makes the part of the game that would be the hardest even harder (the beginning for a new player) and has no bearing on the rest pretty much except like one DLC boss, and 3) doesn't actually add anything. Like in Breath of the Wild, I was fine with the punitive durability system because you couldn't spend resources to specialize in a given weapon and the whole point was to get you to use whatever was around; the game was designed around it by dumping decent weapons on you at every turn, and not having stuff like stat requirements to use them encouraged experimentation and choosing the right weapon for the situation.

Makes me think about how Nioh drops a hundred items on you in every level and has fifty different armor sets and an infinite number of configurable modifiers and stuff, but everyone who actually plays it (and the best, most effective way to get through the game) is to find a specific loadout you like and stat for it, or pick the best loadout for the stats you arbitrarily assigned, and keep upgrading it and making new versions of it over and over and over for dozens of hours.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

The Berzerker posted:

I usually rush to the Bastille to get the whatever knuckle ring. Maybe it is because I like to use weapons that bang off hallways and poo poo more often.

Yeah, I hate wall clanging weapons. I avoid them.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Back when the game released this exact same sentiment was basically posted daily on gamefaqs

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

And Tyler Too! posted:

I wish I had known that before I spent half an hour beating my head against Pursuer. I did win, eventually.

If only the Company of Champions warned you that joining it would make the game harder. :v:

Baku posted:

It's one of the things I hate about DS2 not because it's like, an unsolvable or crippling problem, but because it 1) is annoying, 2) makes the part of the game that would be the hardest even harder (the beginning for a new player) and has no bearing on the rest pretty much except like one DLC boss, and 3) doesn't actually add anything. Like in Breath of the Wild, I was fine with the punitive durability system because you couldn't spend resources to specialize in a given weapon and the whole point was to get you to use whatever was around; the game was designed around it by dumping decent weapons on you at every turn, and not having stuff like stat requirements to use them encouraged experimentation and choosing the right weapon for the situation.

Yeah I don't mind durability as a part of the game, I like that there are items and traps that can wreck your gear. But they're so few and far between that they never really matter, and the regular durability loss can really screw over new players. I recently did a run with a rapier and those things break fast, I basically had to carry two of them and swap between them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
From what I recall, hitting corpses chews through weapon durability (thought it was initially doing so at a super fast rate that was patched?), so there's an element of being conservative with weapon swings and trying to not hack up corpses or hit walls if you can avoid it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

From what I recall, hitting corpses chews through weapon durability (thought it was initially doing so at a super fast rate that was patched?), so there's an element of being conservative with weapon swings and trying to not hack up corpses or hit walls if you can avoid it.

Hitting corpses used to go through durability using framerate as the tick, which is why everything was made of tissue paper on PC. Now corpses dont decay durability at all.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Personally I don’t think rushing 99 agility is good if you don’t know how to dodge everything yet. I think stat priority for a new player should be:

1) stats to wield your chosen weapon, with a particular recommendation for long sword (super versatile), mace (makes some tough early enemies much easier), rapier (unbelievable dps beast) and spear (very safe and versatile, r2s also do the almighty crush damage).

2) Balanced leveling of agility, stamina and hp. You want a few extra iframes on your role ASAP, but the health to take some more hits and the stamina to have some leeway to take extra swings or make extra dodges.

3) Agility to 99.

4) Damage stats.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

High AGI isn't as necessary if you're making a shield the main point of your defense, or if you're a spellcaster and tend to attack from range. If you're a classic melee character tho, look up the breakpoints for AGI and level ADP until you get the roll invincibility time you want.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Resistance to 100 asap

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Appoda posted:

High AGI isn't as necessary if you're making a shield the main point of your defense, or if you're a spellcaster and tend to attack from range. If you're a classic melee character tho, look up the breakpoints for AGI and level ADP until you get the roll invincibility time you want.
you can use this to see pretty clearly.
99 agility is not very expensive to get for how big the benefit is(less expensive if you are a caster and want attunement, which offsets how it's a bit less valuable for casters). Even if you're planning on blocking a lot, having a good roll is useful, and it also makes chugging estus something like 20 frames faster.
For most classes from the start it's around 4-5 levels for each extra iframe until you're at 99 agility, at which point it becomes rapidly more expensive-taking 8 more levels of adaptability to get 1 more iframe, which might be subjectively worth it, and then the next iframe comes 16 levels later, which is just too expensive.

bandit, the garbage poopoo class, starts with 2 attunement and 3 agility, so they start with a whopping 5 iframes on their roll. extremely level adp on that class

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I usually go for some basic weapon requirements first and then 92 agility. 99 can wait until later, I find it easier to dodge in Dark Souls 2 with just 10 iframes than in the first Dark Souls with 13 iframes.

The bandit is technically the best class long term if you're never going to use spells, it has 11 points on the unused stats, the second being the knight with 13 points. May end up as a 1 point advantage depending on your agility goal due to adaptability raising agility and DS II does poo poo out levels anyway. I can easily get 190 soul level on new game with expansions, so pressing for minimum unused stats is not exactly needed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's true, but on the flipside the matchmaking system means saving levels via an optimal class start for your build matters a lot less than in the other games.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Irt rolling, one of the better things I could do with the steam controller was set the dodge button to be an instant press - instead of waiting on me to release the button to initiate a dodge, it just releases on the same instant so there's no lag on the roll. I set running to a grip button or something.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Company of Champions not only makes everything harder but it also removes all summons. The summons in Dark Souls 2 are not only good, but they often do interesting things--like Ruined Alfis casting light in the skellington tunnel in FoFG, or Bradley of the Old Guard providing healing in No Man's Wharf.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I recall reading that the champions covenant also removes the enemy despawning mechanic, which might be a crutch for a newer player to depend on.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I beat Lost Sinner and apparently I skipped an entire zone according to a friend I was chatting with. I went to Lost Bastille after beating Pursuer and completely bypassed No Man's Wharf. I'm gonna clear it anyways, I need more loot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Djeser posted:

Company of Champions not only makes everything harder but it also removes all summons. The summons in Dark Souls 2 are not only good, but they often do interesting things--like Ruined Alfis casting light in the skellington tunnel in FoFG, or Bradley of the Old Guard providing healing in No Man's Wharf.

Imagine never meeting Sellsword Luet. :(

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i never managed to get summoned by the looking glass knight any time i tried

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

And Tyler Too! posted:

I beat Lost Sinner and apparently I skipped an entire zone according to a friend I was chatting with. I went to Lost Bastille after beating Pursuer and completely bypassed No Man's Wharf. I'm gonna clear it anyways, I need more loot.

That's exactly what I did on my first playthrough. You have to clear heides tower of flame to progress further in the story, too.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Oh yeah, that's true. A merchant you find in Heide's will move to Majula once you exhaust their dialogue, and they'll open up another of the main paths.

(Said path is also on the way to Heide's from Majula.)

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
If you kill a mob enough times to stop it from spawning, and then you join the Champions, will it start to spawn again?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dremcon posted:

If you kill a mob enough times to stop it from spawning, and then you join the Champions, will it start to spawn again?
Yes. If you're in the Covenant of Champions the whole business of enemy exhaustion from ticking down spawns to maybe not spawning is paused.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dremcon posted:

Yes, it was patched to do that. When you have it active, the normal enemies won't despawn and any normal enemies that were despawned will be back. This will only work for the regular enemies and not some of the super special ones, but it does mean you can farm up upgrade materials without worrying about running out of enemies.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Yeah, respawning certain groups with the covenant of champions is nice when there’s a particular weapon you want that refuses to drop. I’ve had to do that on a couple of play through for the silverblack spear and maybe some other weapons I’m forgetting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Yeah, respawning certain groups with the covenant of champions is nice when there’s a particular weapon you want that refuses to drop. I’ve had to do that on a couple of play through for the silverblack spear and maybe some other weapons I’m forgetting.

The Llewellyn Shield and all of the Drakekeeper weapons are next to impossible to get without CoC, from my experience.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Vermain posted:

The Llewellyn Shield and all of the Drakekeeper weapons are next to impossible to get without CoC, from my experience.
There are at least enough Stone Soldiers in the game that you can probably get them with lots of item find gear without CoC.

The one you have to cheat for is the Black Witch Domino Mask. Extremely low drop rate and on a one-time NPC. I don't know if even CoC will respawn them.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
You can ascetic him at the very least.

The actual worst item to get is the Heide Lance, because each heide knight can only drop one item. Meaning that if you get a piece of armor from the guy that drops the lance, it’s lost forever, because on higher bonfire intensities it gets replaced with a Greatlance.

Literally the only item my 100% savefile doesn’t have.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Not really 100% then, is it? :colbert:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I had thousands of hours over years on it, both illusory rings and the ring of thorns +2, so i thought it'd be a good candidate, and then after making a big checklist I realized I got hosed over way back on release :(

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Isn’t there a guaranteed drop of the Heide Knight Lance from the knight in the Sinner’s Rise prison cell? Or is that SotFS only?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NGDBSS posted:

The one you have to cheat for is the Black Witch Domino Mask. Extremely low drop rate and on a one-time NPC. I don't know if even CoC will respawn them.

NPC invaders and things like that special Lion Knight everyone loves farming won't respawn except with ascetics, I think.

goblin week posted:

I had thousands of hours over years on it, both illusory rings and the ring of thorns +2, so i thought it'd be a good candidate, and then after making a big checklist I realized I got hosed over way back on release :(

Is it cheating in this context to ask someone to spawn in and drop one for you since the game itself hosed you over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A *lot* of these bosses are total pushovers, but that's 2 primal bonfires lit. Duke's Dear Freja was a chump.