Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Nolan insisting that people get the roni so he can collect his 20% of upfront ticket sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Laterite posted:

Nolan insisting that people get the roni so he can collect his 20% of upfront ticket sales.

An act just as immoral as Bruce Wayne’s character imo

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

robert pattinson go back to indie flix please or do another with james gray about some weird explorer poo poo

the lighthouse was so good omg i didn't know he had that in him

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

robert pattinson go back to indie flix please or do another with james gray about some weird explorer poo poo

He has COVID so it might be awhile lol

But yeah his indie output over the last 5-6 years has been gold. I'm sure he'll make a good Batman if it ever restarts production but his talent is wasted in superhero movies

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If the upfront box office cut as really the issue for Nolan, why would he not just lobby for them to push the movie back to next year?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

how's the new season of the boys? havent gotten to it yet

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

cosmopolis was ahead of its time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmp-6MXUCCM

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

i thought it was gonna be the whole season, but only the first 3 episodes are out. pretty entertaining so far, and genuninely funny watching them try to figure out how to constantly top themselves with the gore. aya cash's character veers pretty sharply from being a superpowered version of her character from you're the worst to a racial terrorist, and homelander continues to be the best and most hosed up part of the show

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

If the upfront box office cut as really the issue for Nolan, why would he not just lobby for them to push the movie back to next year?

no one is sure what theaters are going to look like next year. between the economic crisis and the US government deciding studios can own theaters again, the future is uncertain

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

StashAugustine posted:

somehow better than the first

also echoing double negative's take, Homelander is phenomenal and Stormfront is a strong addition

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

its good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hMaFdRoAC4

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
re: the boys, i wanted to binge it ya lousy bums. let's not go back to the bad old days of weekly episode drops.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

uber_stoat posted:

re: the boys, i wanted to binge it ya lousy bums. let's not go back to the bad old days of weekly episode drops.

Same here, I have 0 idea why you'd do weekly releases on a digital platform.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Weekly releases keep it in the media cycle for longer. Mandalorian got reviews and writeups for weeks on culture sites, which was free advertising for Disney.

If everything drops at once, it's only like 3 weeks of discussion tops. Remember Tiger King?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

it also keep ppl coming back to the platform during what i imagine must be a pretty massive content drought

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I haven’t been following the new Batman movie up until now and in the first picture of Pattinson as the character I saw he wasn’t in the costume & looked kinda dirty, pale and thin. I concocted this idea in my head that this Batman was going to be in that Taxi Driver-esque setting they made for Joker, just fifteen or so years in the future, and rather than being a batted up tacticool blowjob they were gonna go for something more low fantasy, I guess you’d say, where Batman is a grounded, visibly distressed, ideologue loving up parts of the city while trying to dispense what he considers justice. Then I watched the preview and he’s just another cut and paste, super fast martial artist in combat armor, friends with the police, Batman. It seems very generic. Say what you will about the movies containing them, or your general fatigue with the character himself, but the last two live action portrayals of Joker were at least something different.

Also, the more realistic they try to make these settings, the dumber Batman looks when the camera lingers on him. This one doesn’t appear to have fixed this. The bit with him and Gordon looks like a highly skilled cosplayer wandered into a murder investigation.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Mirello posted:

I mean it was a big fat mess. no emotional connection to or between any of the characters, gimmick both poorly explained and underutilized. I literally had no loving idea what was going on for the last 40 minutes. do not recommend.

Sounds like a typical Nolan film.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mirello posted:

I mean it was a big fat mess. no emotional connection to or between any of the characters, gimmick both poorly explained and underutilized. I literally had no loving idea what was going on for the last 40 minutes. do not recommend.

what exactly is the gimmick behind tenet for a summer blockbuster ive found it really offputting how none of the marketing seems at all interested in explaining what this movie is even about

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

what exactly is the gimmick behind tenet for a summer blockbuster ive found it really offputting how none of the marketing seems at all interested in explaining what this movie is even about

Imagine what an early Zucker-Abrams-Zucker parody of Inception would look like and it’s basically that.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
He literally named the protagonist "the protagonist".

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Is the series Mr. Robot worth watching to the end? I'm half way through season 2 and although it's C-SPAM in parts, the episodes are dragging a bit and I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

General Dog posted:

Imagine what an early Zucker-Abrams-Zucker parody of Inception would look like and it’s basically that.

"Heist Movie"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sitchensis posted:

Is the series Mr. Robot worth watching to the end? I'm half way through season 2 and although it's C-SPAM in parts, the episodes are dragging a bit and I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

The first and last seasons are strong; everything in between is pretty abysmal.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

sitchensis posted:

there are still cspam parts even if the main cspamminess is over by season 2 because it turns from revolutionary to reactionary lib poo poo and even has a Very Special Got-dang Cheeto In the Whitehouse moment. by the end it goes entirely from social problems to individual ones but such is the arc of liberalism. you could try to gleam what you can from the interaction of political angst with individual mental health. if you enjoy the production choices and cinematography that holds up until nearly the end, season 3 has some of the best in this regard

i disliked the end, but its divisive so theres a chance youll love it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

rough time to be putting out a movie about a vigilante breaking the law to do things that cops can't

remember when Bane was in charge of Occupy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBxpbQkJ3ic

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This was shared on Facebook today in light of David Graeber:
https://thenewinquiry.com/super-position/

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I’m watching the Hannibal series for the first time in six years, on an actual nice tv with good sound, and I’ll be damned if this isn’t maybe the prettiest thing ever made for television. Sound and visual design is astounding, and the cast is perfect. Prettier even than Devs, or at least as good.

Of all the network tv murderverses (ie, Homicide, CSI, NCIS; basically shows where serial killers with double or even triple body counts outnumber the remainder of the population two to one) I think it would be the most desirable one to live in because right up until you got offed everything would look so cool, and when someone did kill you they’d do something neat with your body, like turn your skin into a human Slanket.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/KenPlume/status/1302384749512720385
https://twitter.com/KenPlume/status/1302385355514150912?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What happened to the venture brothers...

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mike lazzo died and so did adult swim

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't watched VB since like 2005, what are the later seasons like?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sitchensis posted:

I disagree with the other posters. Season 2 is weak, but season 3 is terrific (as good as season 1) and season 4 is some of the best tv I've ever seen. push through season 2 and it's worth it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

i say swears online posted:

The characters do a decent job of evolving and the show reinvents itself around season 4? I think the compound is destroyed and the Ventures move into the city, characters develop a ton from the first couple seasons here, people seem to be split between this being where the show jumps the shark/manages to reinvigorate itself.

I still like it, but I'd be cool with season 8 being the end - 7 ended at a point that makes a final season wrap-up make sense.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

i say swears online posted:

They slowly pivot away from the concept being “this is a show about neurotic adult failures living in the shadow of previous heroic generations” and began letting the characters grow. It feels less like the characters are being punished for existing by a god that’s disgusted with them. It remains overall good.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Stairmaster posted:

What happened to the venture brothers...

According to Wikipedia, their next season will be the final one.

That's fair. There aren't many mysteries left in the show to uncover and I think Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer might want to move on from being the only writers on the show.

The creators having a tight vision of the show and being the only writers as well is the reason it takes two years to produce an episode.

Okuteru has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Sep 9, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Quark owning some dumbass vulcan with facts and logic cemented ds9 as best startrek

O'Brien is the only person on that station who does any work and he handles fuckin everything, he's their fuckin engineer and maintenance guy and infosec and soldier and the only reason that place runs

Chief O'Brien, not Captain Picard, is the true star trek ubermensch

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Quark owning some dumbass vulcan with facts and logic cemented ds9 as best startrek

O'Brien is the only person on that station who does any work and he handles fuckin everything, he's their fuckin engineer and maintenance guy and infosec and soldier and the only reason that place runs

Chief O'Brien, not Captain Picard, is the true star trek ubermensch

O'Brien and Rom are by far the two most competent people on DS9

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

since voyager came up earlier ive been rewatching it in full for the first time since y2k. the only reason i havent thrown my tv through the window yet is looking for like-minded criticism after rediscovering how bafflingly tone deaf to outright racist half these episodes are led me to this blog

https://them0vieblog.com/reviews-hub/79613-2/

the political analysis is a bit limited by the reviewer's conceptual toolchest (its limited to axes of conservative/liberal and progressive/reactionary), but their observations are on point and go in the right directions even if projected onto inadequate represenation. they do a great job of cataloging the series' obsession with memory and identity (which colored over everything for me after late season 2 on this rewatch), and its connection to star trek as a cultural storytelling artifact and the post-cold-war/end-of-ww2-historical-narrative-arc world context of the 90s

on rewatch i really appreciate mulgrew's attempts to squeeze anything she can out of the awful writing, although she gives up sometime in season 4

Breakfast All Day has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

vyelkin posted:

O'Brien and Rom are by far the two most competent people on DS9

Both are union guys