Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

Steven Brust wrote his divorce into the Dragaera series as well.

He did! And honestly, treated her surprisingly well. Cawti never comes off as a crazy person or awful shrew, and is arguably in the right during the whole thing. And it made me sad, too, other poster, because I liked their relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Wizchine posted:

I guess the soul isn't situated between the breasts.

Perhaps if she was a young soul...

Anyways. Having finished most of Faust, I gotta say:

I like it more than Dresden, with caveats. And I'm going to talk about why so I'm not just a contrarian Butcher-bashing rear end in a top hat.

Let me come right off the top with this: I like Dresden Files. I even think that Jim has given some solid advice about writing, and he's one of the first writers that really convinced me that genre fiction can be elevated beyond airport novels about punching. I think he's got real talent for writing set-pieces and fight scenes with energy and dynamic flow, without ever letting it get too congratulatory or self-indulgent. And he understands that fight scenes need to have an emotional component to them, too. Remember when he just blasts Slate with lightning? Remember when Michael gets shot and he goes absolutely livid and without thinking, bores a hole through Tessa?

And more than the fights, I think Jim has a good nose for voice. I think he's really good at sewing little tidbits of info into plot and setting things up both throughout individual books and throughout the plot as a whole that feels really rewarding.

But I think Schaefer does a very similar style of book, but better.

I believe that Vegas is a part of Daniel Faust in ways that Chicago tries to be for Dresden, and isn't, and it goes right down to who Daniel is. He's a gangster, a conman, a viper with a heart of fool's gold. His magic revolves around a deck of cards, slight of hand, magician stagecraft, etc. And I get a sense just as I got in Rivers and Sandman Slim that the character and the author have a thing for the city they're in.

One of my main problems with Dresden was that even when Murphy got to do something cool, she'd often get hosed over. It felt like she rarely had the agency or power to really flex or stand apart from Dresden, and just as we get teased that she's a rising power in Cold Days, standing up to Harry, leading, she's again swatted down ( hard ) in Skin Game.

Contrast that with Caitlin. Caitlin is a succubus, a demon from hell that Faust sets free, despite knowing the risk and everyone telling him it's a stupid idea. It's later revealed that she influenced him a bit, something she fesses up to, but I'll set that aside for now.

I like Caitlin because she's got agency, and it isn't just a matter of power. Is she stronger than Murphy? Obviously. But authors control the story, and agency isn't just a matter of power. Caitlin fights her own battles, for her own reasons. There's give and take between her and Faust, and they don't always agree. But more than that? She gets her own time in the spotlight. In fact, a lot of the characters do, and it's a diverse cast.

I really appreciate that Bently and Corman, Daniel's adoptive parents, are gay. And there's no big thing made of it, they just are. Then there's Mama Margaux, who's magic tilts toward voodoo, or Pixie, an ace hacker, Jennifer, a blood wizard with a .357 and a crush on Pixie, etc. The cast is pretty sizable but feels as if they have more dimension to them, and that brings more depth to the relationships they have with the main character.

I just think they're really solid, underrated books that, on the whole, feel like a more mature take on what Dresden's doing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

A lot of words which effectively make the point that...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I just think they're really solid, underrated books that, on the whole, feel like a more mature take on what Dresden's doing.

Oh God drat you. Now I'm going to have to check these out. And probably the several other series by the same author which apparently link into them. And my closet/library barely has room for clothes as is.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've always been a cheerleader for Schaefer overall and Faust by extension, so I'll second all of this. They might not be high art and some folks have posted legitimate criticisms of them, but I think they're solid urban fantasy with fun characters and Schaefer publishes a LOT of drat books, so he's worth following if you like regular publications.

I actually tossed him a few bucks to follow his Patreon where he's writing some serialized content with a few chapters a week, and that's proven to be a fun chance to squeeze out some extra reading from him too.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It's worth noting that it takes a few books for it to really hit it stride, but I would say that the first Faust book is better than a fair number of other first of a series books I've read.

Thanks for telling me about his Patreon. Might get on that.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

IF YOUR ENEMY IS AN ANCIENT VAMPIRE WHO HAS RECENTLY GAINED A PERMANENT PSYCHIC INFLUENCE OVER YOUR BEST FRIEND, YOU KILL THEM!

Goddamn, I could reach through the pages and throttle her.

Reading: The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, by Kim Harrison

Why did you spoiler the book title but not the spoilers? This seems loving backwards, dude.

mod edit: if you're mad about spoilers use the report button not the quote button tanks

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 6, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kchama posted:

Why did you spoiler the book title but not the spoilers? This seems loving backwards, dude.

Obviously because an ancient vampire was psychically influencing them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kchama posted:

Lots of books have vampires. I wanted to make a general statement regarding treating them appropriately.

Edit: I see it as the same as posting "Don't assume the monster is dead! Smash it's head in with a rock or something!"

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 5, 2020

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Also a huge Schaeffer fan, so I recommend his stuff highly! Harmony Black has... some issues... but he also openly admits a lot of the issues in the story (hi, Strong Woman Meets Strong Male Lead Plotline) were forced by the publisher. Also just a generally good dude, and I'm not worried about him accidentally being a turbo nazi. Anecdote time: I used to play Everquest 2 with him, and showed him this thread at one point and he got very flustered and was delighted that a strange internet community liked his stuff.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I found Schaeffer a few years back. I'm a Chicago area native from about the same area as he is, and the heist in Naperville was loving DELIGHTFUL and super accurate. I should go check and see if there's more Faust I haven't read.
I absolutely agree that the cast feels really balanced, it's not one super powerful dude and his gang of sidekicks.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I enjoy Faust a lot, but at the same time he doesn't always feel powerful enough to do the things he does. Perhaps Schaeffer is just too good at making Faust afraid of the weird poo poo that happens, but I often find myself thinking there's no way he can get out of his situation with just magic cards and a gun, but then he does, and even directly after reading it I'm not sure how he actually got away with it. When he's doing gangster stuff with a side of magic it feels a lot more plausible for the power level I think he has. I guess it can also feel a bit inconsistent when he goes from defeating princes of hell or ancient wizards to being terrified of the FBI or the city not granting his club a liquor license. But I also love the lore and meta-plot which is very weird indeed, so it's not like I don't want the spooky stuff happening. Faust is a land of contrasts.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Lots of books have vampires. I wanted to make a general statement regarding treating them appropriately.

Edit: I see it as the same as posting "Don't assume the monster is dead! Smash it's head in with a rock or something!"

This makes no sense whatever, sorry dude.

If you feel it's a big enough spoiler that you have to spoiler something, then spoiler the loving spoiler, and not the book title. If you only spoil the book title then we have no way of knowing if it's actually safe to look at the book title.

And it was very specific, so yeah it was a spoiler. Maybe spoiler that poo poo and unspoiler the title, please. I ask you as someone you spoiled.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kchama posted:

This makes no sense whatever, sorry dude.

If you feel it's a big enough spoiler that you have to spoiler something, then spoiler the loving spoiler, and not the book title. If you only spoil the book title then we have no way of knowing if it's actually safe to look at the book title.

And it was very specific, so yeah it was a spoiler. Maybe spoiler that poo poo and unspoiler the title, please. I ask you as someone you spoiled.

I'm very sorry you were spoiled.

I personally feel like a spoiler consists of two pieces of information, and if I hide one of them it's no longer a spoiler. The book title was clearly signposted and I thought that was enough.

However, I will abide by the normal posting conventions from here on out.

Again, sorry I ruined it for you. :(

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

I personally feel like a spoiler consists of two pieces of information, and if I hide one of them it's no longer a spoiler. The book title was clearly signposted and I thought that was enough.

Yeah, but how are you supposed to know what book is being spoiled unless you click the spoiler? There's not enough information there to identify it. There's a lot of books with vampires in them out there and the comment you made could probably apply to a lot of them.

If you spoiler tag the comment you made and reveal the title, I know when it's appropriate to click the spoiler. The other way around and I do not.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but how are you supposed to know what book is being spoiled unless you click the spoiler? There's not enough information there to identify it. There's a lot of books with vampires in them out there and the comment you made could probably apply to a lot of them.

If you spoiler tag the comment you made and reveal the title, I know when it's appropriate to click the spoiler. The other way around and I do not.

Figure if it has anything to do with the plot of any book, just spoiler everything. The Good, the Bad and the Undead was originally released January 25 of 2005, so over 15 years ago. Still, it was clearly new to Kchama and it's understandable that they wouldn't want it spoiled. Putting something in spoiler type requires using 17 additional characters aside from what you were going to type anyway. So it's not that hard to not be a jackass about this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I usually (when I'm not completely brain-dead about it, I've hosed up before) err on the side of putting things in spoilertext, partly for the obvious reason but mostly because I enjoy posts that look like redacted CIA documents, and also then I can click on the text and it does a thing and that pleases my inner obsessive five-year-old.

Clicky.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yall --

If.you think something needs to be in spoiler tags, just hit the report button and I'll fix it as soon as I see it.

It's probably a good discussion to have every so often but it doesn't need to turn into a derail. It's all good, ill fix it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I like it more than Dresden, with caveats. And I'm going to talk about why so I'm not just a contrarian Butcher-bashing rear end in a top hat.

Let me come right off the top with this: I like Dresden Files. .. . .

But I think Schaefer does a very similar style of book, but better.

I believe that Vegas is a part of Daniel Faust in ways that Chicago tries to be for Dresden, and isn't, . . ..

Contrast that with Caitlin. Caitlin is a succubus, a demon from hell that Faust sets free, despite knowing the risk and everyone telling him it's a stupid idea. It's later revealed that she influenced him a bit, something she fesses up to, but I'll set that aside for now.
. . . .

It's interesting to look at the various "second generation" UF authors and look at how they have tried to improve on Dresden. Aaronovitch has better prose and a more grounded, detailed "reality" about it. Jacka's Verus does a better job of keeping it all dark and gritty and the action at knife-fight pacing, closer to the noir roots instead of Dresden's inflated, videogamesque progression.

I've read the first few Faust books and I see why people like them. Personally I just have a really hard time getting past the succubus love interest thing, and the plots always seem a bit special-sunflower-deus-ex-machina to me.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's interesting to look at the various "second generation" UF authors and look at how they have tried to improve on Dresden. Aaronovitch has better prose and a more grounded, detailed "reality" about it. Jacka's Verus does a better job of keeping it all dark and gritty and the action at knife-fight pacing, closer to the noir roots instead of Dresden's inflated, videogamesque progression.

I've read the first few Faust books and I see why people like them. Personally I just have a really hard time getting past the succubus love interest thing, and the plots always seem a bit special-sunflower-deus-ex-machina to me.

One thing about Aaronovitch is that he's actually older than Butcher and was writing TV scripts before Butcher took his first writing class. He's kind of a "second generation UFer" with writing skills that were developed and polished during the first generation.

That's one big reason that Midnight Riot really does not feel like a "first book." Because it wasn't one.

Edit: I think we could do with a recap/repost of the spoilers policy. I know I don't want to get yelled at because I spoiled that Harry Potter is actually a wizard or something.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 6, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Yall --

If.you think something needs to be in spoiler tags, just hit the report button and I'll fix it as soon as I see it.

It's probably a good discussion to have every so often but it doesn't need to turn into a derail. It's all good, ill fix it.

Really the main issue is how they spoil-tagged it was less than useless. It's fine if they understand now and we don't gotta rag on 'em any more.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kchama posted:

Really the main issue is how they spoil-tagged it was less than useless. It's fine if they understand now and we don't gotta rag on 'em any more.

I do NOT understand, but have already agreed to acquiesce to your demands.

I was going to leave it at that, but if the answer to "Do I want to have a book spoiled for me?" was 'No', then why did you click it?

I only put it there in the first place to get in front of any posts asking what book it was. Hoping to avoid an extraneous post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I do NOT understand, but have already agreed to acquiesce to your demands.

I was going to leave it at that, but if the answer to "Do I want to have a book spoiled for me?" was 'No', then why did you click it?

I only put it there in the first place to get in front of any posts asking what book it was. Hoping to avoid an extraneous post.

You know, usually, when people go "hey lay off the guy it's cool" you don't go "WOW HOW DARE YOU". So I'll lay it to you straight so I hope you understand.

The reason why the usual format is because if you know what story is being spoiled, then you have an idea of whether you should look or not. If all you have is a spoiler, and the story title is the only thing censored, then you have no idea whether you should know what's being talked about without spoiling yourself on it. It could be a story you've read, and thus you're fine. Or it could be a story you haven't read, and you've just been spoiled! Happy guessing!

If the plot being spoiled is the thing censored, but not the story title, then you can know whether or not you can look at it without being spoiled. I hope that makes it simple enough for you why people do it the way that they do.

As for 'why did you click it', well, what you said could actually be any number of stories that I have read. But I couldn't know for sure unless I clicked it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I read all spoilers because it doesn't spoil a book/movie/tv show to know. This spoiler was done in such a way to be useless for others. Your acquiescence to the group norms is good. How you can fail to grasp why what you did was thoughtless is the question.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
shhhhhhhh re: spoiler chat

If you have questions or thoughts about the spoiler policy, please refer to the rules thread permanently stuck to the top of the forums index.

4) Spoiler Policy: For most threads, please use spoiler tags for any major plot events no matter how old the book is, unless it's common knowledge (Romeo and Juliet kill themselves?!?) or if you're in a discussion thread for people who have read that specific author or book. If you *are* in a discussion thread for a specific author, book, or series, use spoiler tags for anything that's been out less than about six months to a year. Beyond the rule, as a matter of general politeness, if someone asks you to use spoiler tags, please do so.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Here's a trailer for Battle Ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKsWndEku2Q

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That book better be amazing, because the previous, or should I say Part One. Was not good.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Weird question, has Aaronovitch had any weird chudy or terfy moments in or outside his books? I'm tired of getting burned by British authors I like turning out to be lovely (not that it's an exclusively British thing, it's just been happening a lot lately it seems).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Not that I'm aware of. Aaronovitch is a pretty hardcore socialist I believe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Very much so. It's honestly surprising he's writing police characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I never got around to putting Peace Talks up on the Dresden shelf in the basement, so I'm planning on rereading it right before Battle Ground. I have (perhaps misplaced) hope that'll it'll function as one good book al together

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

But they’re secret police, that’s entirely in line for a hardcore socialist.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Fantasy fiction is the perfect place for good cops.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

jivjov posted:

Here's a trailer for Battle Ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKsWndEku2Q

oh my god these are so loving funny

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Even a socialist utopia still needs ways to deal with criminals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

anilEhilated posted:

Fantasy fiction is the perfect place for good cops.

:hmmyes:

The Folly and co are all very platonic ideal of what the cops should be.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It has occasionally occured to me that Nightingale, a man whose childhood was literally Edwardian Britain, and whose entire life has been spent in rarified circles is a little too implausibly (for want of a better phrase) woke.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Not everyone from that time was a monster.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Deptfordx posted:

It has occasionally occured to me that Nightingale, a man whose childhood was literally Edwardian Britain, and whose entire life has been spent in rarified circles is a little too implausibly (for want of a better phrase) woke.

I think Nightingale's prolonged exposure to the demi-monde (particularly through Molly) and his work in policing it has made him far broader of mind than a great many of his contemporaries. I don't think it is much of a leap from accepting various kinds of fae to also accepting other perceptions of identity as well.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

He still needs to be reminded from time to time "don't call it black magic, dude".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

He's helped set up a prize for unpublished British writers of colour, too.