Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's a short story, and i'm quite sure that it didn't include any stabbings

when you've seen what grrm looks like, it's impossible to imagine the guy in the story as anyone else than him

http://www.williamflew.com/omni109a.html :nms:

Holy cow, this was the one issue of OMNI after all, and it was the story.

I had no idea who wrote it, I read it as a kid not long after it came out, and the last time I re-read it was, like, well, quite a while ago.

There was a stabbing, as it turns out, after all. Definitely made an impression, that, though I suppressed the memory of the circumstances surrounding it. Darn it, GRRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

twistedmentat posted:

Besides Xanth the next most popular bunch of books from Anthony was Incarnations of Immortality. They were about people who were given god like positions such as Death, Time, War, Nature, Fate, and Evil. The last book is basically everyone together and someone has to be GOod, so technically God.

They're Urban Fantasy, as they take place in a modern world where magic is a thing, but they still have cars and tv and stuff. For Piers Anthony they're fairly restrained, nothing weird and creepy exists in most of the books until you end up with the last one that features a under aged prostitute and suddenly "Well, technically we were in hell for 10 earth years so you're of age now even though you didn't age" kicks in.

god i totally forgot to mention xanth/piers anthony too. i remember reading about that in the last incarnations book and going “what the gently caress?” even as a teenager

if i remember right the underaged prostitute was the love interest for some judge character who was a pedo but he was portrayed as a “good” one because he didn’t act on his urges, and the reward for helping the good guys was being able to legally gently caress the underage prostitute thanks to the whole “time moved differently between earth and hell” thing

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

You have to give it to Dragonlance- a backstory like a high priest demanded that he be made a god and the gods' answer was to drop a flaming mountain on him and obliterating everything within a hundred miles before petulantly abandoning the people of the world to hundreds of years of darkness is pretty metal.

The gods did magic all the time. Clerics could literally just lay hands on somebody and pray and fix that person's broken bone or their IBS or whatever. Then one rear end in a top hat tried to take power over the gods and they PLUNGED AN ASTEROID ONTO HIS TEMPLE. It hosed up the whole world. And then they hosed off for 300 years. People begged the gods to help them with the consequences of the ASTEROID THEY CRASHED INTO THE PLANET and the gods were like "lol, nope." I love it. I love how petty they were. Dragonlance rules.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 5, 2020

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

come to think of it Dragonlance was probably another early event that helped to contribute to my OVERWHELMING DEICIDE COMPLEX

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Splash Attack posted:

god i totally forgot to mention xanth/piers anthony too. i remember reading about that in the last incarnations book and going “what the gently caress?” even as a teenager

if i remember right the underaged prostitute was the love interest for some judge character who was a pedo but he was portrayed as a “good” one because he didn’t act on his urges, and the reward for helping the good guys was being able to legally gently caress the underage prostitute thanks to the whole “time moved differently between earth and hell” thing

Somehow I am not surprised. I definitely read the first Incarnations book about Death, and maybe the one after that, but that's also around the time I realized Anthony was just poo poo in general.

Unrelated, it occurred to me the other day exactly WHY I ended up reading so much crap sci-fi and fantasy like Piers Anthony - it was because of the loving Science Fiction Book Club.

Basically you had to order like 2 books a month, or they would arbitrarily send you whatever crap wasn't moving otherwise. Since that never worked out well, I was always careful to diligently send in my book requests. That meant that I often would just go with recognizable authors, so ended up with a lot of prolific asshats like Anthony.

There were some good authors in there, and it was great to be able to get stuff like Zelazny, but it also meant I ended up with a lot of crap because of the necessary 2 books per month thing.

The books themselves were the lowest-quality hardcovers imaginable most of the time. Like, so bad the local used bookstore would refuse them outright. But they were cheaper than paperbacks and as a kid it was kind of neat to get a box of books every month.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 5, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The main thing I remember about Dragonlance is how Raistlin became a god and killed the world in doing it. The details of how or why that happened are lost to memory but there was some time travel involved IIRC, always been a sucker for a time travel story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best book to get from the Sci-fi book club was Barlows Guide to Extraterrestrials. Check out the Alien thread in the Sci-fi subforum for some cool shots from that, because it doesn't deserve to be in this thread.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I had no idea who wrote it, I read it as a kid not long after it came out, and the last time I re-read it was, like, well, quite a while ago.

There was a stabbing, as it turns out, after all. Definitely made an impression, that, though I suppressed the memory of the circumstances surrounding it. Darn it, GRRM.

Wow, I didn’t remember that part either though I did remember more of the circumstances around it than I would have liked to

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What was the time travel part in Pern? The last book I read 30 years ago was they found the ship with a computer under a volcano and everything seemed to be at the end. It kept going? What happened?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Comstar posted:

What was the time travel part in Pern? The last book I read 30 years ago was they found the ship with a computer under a volcano and everything seemed to be at the end. It kept going? What happened?

the time travel was in the original trilogy. it’s the reason why the five weyrs disappeared and everyone was left with just one dragon den, the female protag discovered that dragons could time travel if you were specific enough iirc? so she went back 300 years in time right before thread went on 300 year hiatus to ask them to come to the future to fight thread there since they needed the people. it was interesting and there was the feeling of risk involved since it would put you in between for longer than usual which was the dimension that dragons went to for teleporting/time travel.

by the way, the things that happened after they found the super computer, in no particular order:
-made spacesuits for dragons and humans to go to space
-used those spacesuits to dissect thread in space
-discovered that psychically enhanced dolphins from earth have also survived over the centuries and just completely forgotten until the son of some semi-major characters ran into them
-an entire species of mini dragons was discovered, which turned out to be the original native species the dragons were bio engineered from by the space colonists
-the supercomputer calculated that the best way to defeat thread was to change the orbit so a bunch of dragons went into space to drop bombs on the thread planet
-there was this whole “anti technology” subplot while the space stuff was going on, and it kind of continued after the supercomputer shut itself off (right as the master harper dude died next to it from old age)
-all between that there is a lot of loving and babies going on, because it turns out that the mini dragons will imprint on anyone nearby that feeds them after birth but they still can make people horny when they want to have sex

i’m pretty sure i’m missing whole chunks of weirdness but that’s what i can remember off the top of my head

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
"Fun" fact(s) about Xanth:

Nearly every creature or species lived in a village or region consisting exclusively or almost-exclusively of others of "their own kind," with the exception of the native (white) humans who could just kinda live anywhere and everywhere they wanted provided the local puns weren't too hostile and they didn't mind the occasional dragon attack.

Xanth could connect to any point on real Earth at any time.

A group of black people fleeing 1960s Southern segregation migrated to Xanth in one novel or another. They integrated into Xanth by... forming their own segregated community (called Black Village), and spent the rest of the series existing exactly the same way goblins, ogres, and harpies do: by going completely ignored unless an underage protagonist needed to get some McGuffin from them on their inevitable quest to "find love" (and whatever that particular novel's other conceit was). They were just generally nicer and more helpful about it than the other "fantasy races," which usually just translated to them getting less page time than the goblins who would only give their McGuffin up after putting the protagonist in some sort of brief theoretically mortal peril.

I read way too many of those as a dumb kid. I liked the one with the spider and the tapestry so I picked up the others mostly at random whenever they'd turn up in a bookstore, but in hindsight they were full of that sort of nonsense garbage.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

EimiYoshikawa posted:

hah, so there was, i stand corrected

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

doverhog posted:

The main thing I remember about Dragonlance is how Raistlin became a god and killed the world in doing it. The details of how or why that happened are lost to memory but there was some time travel involved IIRC, always been a sucker for a time travel story.

Not only the world but all the other gods. Yeah I remember that scene well too. Shame it didn't stick, stupid Caramon!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ChubbyChecker posted:

hah, so there was, i stand corrected

I can see how the other stuff that prompted the stabbing could overshadow it in one's recollections

Kind of want to stab GRRM now.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I can see how the other stuff that prompted the stabbing could overshadow it in one's recollections

Kind of want to stab GRRM now.
I'm pretty sure someone already did after he wrote Storm of Swords. Now somebody else is in there until they find the right one.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

The best book to get from the Sci-fi book club was Barlows Guide to Extraterrestrials. Check out the Alien thread in the Sci-fi subforum for some cool shots from that, because it doesn't deserve to be in this thread.

Oh man, that book is awesome. My little brother got it at Half Price Books at some point and I spent hours poring over it, even though the only featured book I'd read by that point was A Wrinkle In Time.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think I can read what I used to read in terms of fantasy novels today without groaning every single page. I keep going back to LoTR, Silmarillon and Earthsea when I need my fix.

Earthsea in particular is aging like fine wine, each subsequent reading causes more and more awe and makes me discover things about myself. I particularly love the very minimal and simplistic covers of Earthsea books in Turkish:

Pulling this from waaaay back...LeGuin wrote another series called Annals of the Western Shore around 2005? that makes a good companion to Earthsea. Both fantasy series ostensibly for kids with similar concepts and themes, but one written at the beginning of her career and the other forty years later towards the end.

Bismuth posted:

How does no one remember how intensely horny the pern books were, i will never stop until someone else acknowledges it

Most of McCaffrey's output was intensely horny and since others have already tackled Pern, Acorna, Ship who Sings, and the Freedom series, let's talk about Crystal Singers and Talents!

Crystal Singers- Killashandra Ree is a failed opera singer who gets into the incredibly lucrative but secretive field of crystal prospecting. Her body bonds with a parasite that keeps her young and beautiful for centuries, but turns her long-term memory in garbage so she can never make deep, meaningful connections with anyone. So she bangs her way through a couple of dashing older men until she forgets about them, become super good at her job and finds some super rare crystals, endures the jealousy of her fellow miners, and at the end of the book gets to go to another planet to setup some crystal thing that just so happens to involve her doing a big operatic performance in front of a huge audience in order to properly calibrate them.

Talents- Psychic powers exist! First two books are set a little ahead of modern times, and are about building an institute for the study and development of said powers. Powerful moppets are acquired, the world is suspicious but must be convinced of the incredible good these people can do! Lots of talking-down and moralizing, and 'then everyone stood up and clapped' exchanges. A women asks when this one dude will settle down; her friend says he's in love with a little tomboy he rescued as a child and is just waiting for her to grow up enough. A quick time-jump and they are married with twins; she's like sixteen.

Rest of the series takes place way into the future when the institute has grown into a intergalactic shipping empire using their powers to hurl messages and objects through space. There is one family which is the best and most powerful of all. Follow along as a series of feisty but vulnerable young women realize that the older male mentor figure in their lives in their one true love and immediately get married and start popping out a million babies. One girl decides to gently caress another guy first and breaks him somehow by being too in his head during sex? Then she hooks up with her mother's best friend and second in command who has literally helped raise her. At some point they discover aliens, terrible muppity little things that always come in pairs and empathically bond with humans. One woman is sad about not having a lover, and so her little alien companions telegraph their heat to encourage her and her gay, grieving for his dead lover, second in commend to bone. She is instantly pregnant. There's also a whole eugenics vibe with how breeding powerful psychics together to make more powerful psychics is really favored.

Maybe you're asking yourself why I continued to read this junk. The answer is the awesome 80's as gently caress covers-

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bell_ posted:

I'm pretty sure someone already did after he wrote Storm of Swords. Now somebody else is in there until they find the right one.

holy poo poo, this would explain so much

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Galewolf posted:

Gods getting realmad and resetting the world is a cliche BUT I fuckin love how wild things get during Time of Troubles because Ao gets mad at gods for tryna steal his ipad or something.

Doesn't Ao turn out to basically be an intern over-god?

Like at the end of the trilogy he has to go report to his over-over-god about how hosed up things got, but he totally fixed it now, no need to write me up for this one Sir!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

there wolf posted:

Pulling this from waaaay back...LeGuin wrote another series called Annals of the Western Shore around 2005? that makes a good companion to Earthsea. Both fantasy series ostensibly for kids with similar concepts and themes, but one written at the beginning of her career and the other forty years later towards the end.

Literally until this point I never thought about the publishing dates of novels and just look at this poo poo:

quote:

Novels

A Wizard of Earthsea (Parnassus Press, 1968) (Illustrated by Ruth Robbins, and Anne Yvonne Gilbert in 1984)
The Tombs of Atuan (Atheneum Books, 1971)[a] (Illustrated by Gail Garraty and Anne Yvonne Gilbert in 1984)
The Farthest Shore (Atheneum Books, 1972) (Illustrated by Gail Garraty and Anne Yvonne Gilbert in 1984)
Tehanu (Atheneum Books, 1990) (Illustrated by Margaret Chodos-Irvine)
The Other Wind (Harcourt, 2001) (Illustrated by Cliff Nielsen and Ursula K. Le Guin)

That really explains how each book and especially the 4th and 5th feels different as LeGuin progressed as a writer and a feminist. I always thought she just crammed book after another which was a thing by then. I think when I first read her, Other Wind wasn't published yet but Tehanu felt really different than the first three.

Deptfordx posted:

Like at the end of the trilogy he has to go report to his over-over-god about how hosed up things got, but he totally fixed it now, no need to write me up for this one Sir!

I vaguely remember something like that, which makes it even hilarious.

Ao bringing back Torm is some top tier "golden boy" favoritism as well (You took that blast in the face real good, here, have another life) when Bane has to come up with some Jimmy Neutron plan to come back.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

I believe canonically the guy Ao is talking to is the GM

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tunicate posted:

I believe canonically the guy Ao is talking to is the GM

that's some dumb nerd puke right there

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

there wolf posted:

Most of McCaffrey's output was intensely horny and since others have already tackled Pern, Acorna, Ship who Sings, and the Freedom series, let's talk about Crystal Singers and Talents!

Oh, I remember the Freedom series! In that one I think a woman gets dropped on some sort of colony planet, and she meets a sexy cat-man alien, and they bone. I believe he had a barbed penis.

(Also, your mentions of the young women ending up with older men reminds me of the only bit I don't like about Tamora Pierce's Tortall books, which is that her young women protagonists almost always end up with older men who are their teachers in some way. Alanna ends up with George the Thief King, Daine ends up with her wizard teacher Numair... it's not nearly as wacky and explicit as McCaffrey, but Pierce definitely has a type.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

there wolf posted:

Maybe you're asking yourself why I continued to read this junk. The answer is the awesome 80's as gently caress covers-

This is the series that I read of hers. It features the main character going "Ooh maybe you should put suntan lotion THERE" when she's naked and under aged. I do remember that the book actually did propose that humans living on other planets may take on different racial traits, as some people from one book had green skin.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pinball posted:

(Also, your mentions of the young women ending up with older men reminds me of the only bit I don't like about Tamora Pierce's Tortall books, which is that her young women protagonists almost always end up with older men who are their teachers in some way. Alanna ends up with George the Thief King, Daine ends up with her wizard teacher Numair... it's not nearly as wacky and explicit as McCaffrey, but Pierce definitely has a type.)
Eh, Daine and Numair are the most wild one, since he met her when she was a teenager and was her mentor. George and Alanna have a much more casual friendship until she's already like a hardened knight, iirc, and basically everyone else I can think of has much closer in age love interests. I mean technically Aly and Nawat have an age difference the other way, but he reached adulthood as a crow so the weird is in entirely different ways. I don't think Kel ever settles down with anyone but her lovers are all the same age as her, Beka marries someone who I think is within 5 years of her age and they meet as professional adults, and the Circle of Magic quartet are just doing whatever the gently caress they want.

Not denying Pierce has a type, but it's a lot easier for me to handle Daine and Numair when it's not a huge pattern with her protagonists and I can just brush it off as a relationship I'd find skeevy in real life but can work in fiction because it's fiction so the author knows exactly what's going on. I also don't remember exactly how much older George is than Alanna, I know he's already the King of the rogues when she's a young teenager, but I sort of remember it being less of a thing than Daine and Numair because they weren't involved at that point and she was dating-not-dating the Prince?

EDIT: Okay looking up the wiki his age isn't specific but seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY older than her rather than him just being an upstart like Rosto, so yeah, reluctantly throwing that on as part of the pattern. Dangit, Pierce.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 6, 2020

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.

Maigius posted:

I also remember that we attempted to read some fantasy book about a noblewoman/princess who was bad at sewing and ankle adornments were in at the court. That's literally all I remember about that book.

You are almost certainly referring to The Hero and the Crown by Robin Mckinley, a prequel to The Blue Sword.

Aerin is super clumsy, every royal has a magic talent except her, and she's in love with her handsome male cousin. The fashion in the court were ankle tassels, and her mean pretty cousin had developed a neat little kick/hitch in her step to keep them in place. For some reason, this also stuck in my brain for years. Eventually, there are dragons, a war, and a loving dragon skull katamari-ing down a hill. Those are good books, tho, in my opinion--Blue Sword was written in response to a pretty racist Middle Eastern romance novel from the 1930s or something, I read somewhere.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

PetraCore posted:

Eh, Daine and Numair are the most wild one, since he met her when she was a teenager and was her mentor. George and Alanna have a much more casual friendship until she's already like a hardened knight, iirc, and basically everyone else I can think of has much closer in age love interests. I mean technically Aly and Nawat have an age difference the other way, but he reached adulthood as a crow so the weird is in entirely different ways. I don't think Kel ever settles down with anyone but her lovers are all the same age as her, Beka marries someone who I think is within 5 years of her age and they meet as professional adults, and the Circle of Magic quartet are just doing whatever the gently caress they want.

Not denying Pierce has a type, but it's a lot easier for me to handle Daine and Numair when it's not a huge pattern with her protagonists and I can just brush it off as a relationship I'd find skeevy in real life but can work in fiction because it's fiction so the author knows exactly what's going on. I also don't remember exactly how much older George is than Alanna, I know he's already the King of the rogues when she's a young teenager, but I sort of remember it being less of a thing than Daine and Numair because they weren't involved at that point and she was dating-not-dating the Prince?

EDIT: Okay looking up the wiki his age isn't specific but seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY older than her rather than him just being an upstart like Rosto, so yeah, reluctantly throwing that on as part of the pattern. Dangit, Pierce.

i mean, i just looked up george and alanna on the wiki and according to that he's only six years older? which... isn't that wild? i mean, my parents are five years apart, so i don't think it's gross. i think it also helps that they weren't romantically involved until later on in the books where she's an adult, so it's not like he was deliberately grooming her to be his child bride. and to be fair, that's two couples out of several book series featuring a ton of characters - i can't think of anything like daine and numair in her circle of magic books, which are feature a lot of platonic student/teacher relationships. one of the main characters even grows up to be gay in the follow up sequels that i read in high school.

personally i feel there's a very big gap between her and other authors mentioned here when it comes to this pattern.

also i forgot until now that i read the talent and crystal singer books by mccaffery too. :negative: maybe i just am dead to picking up warning signs in fantasy since it was apparently in everything i read as a kid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching a youtuber go to Spirit of Halloween and they have Drizzt and Cattie-Brie costumes :psyduck:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Uuuuugh I think it was Piers Anthony who wrote that godawful story about a literally mindless naked woman being kept in a barn and milked like a cow? Maybe she had the brain of a cow for some reason? And there was a dude hiding in her barn stall for some reason and the story dwelt lavishly on how naked and mooing and contented this cow-woman with no brain was, eating from a trough, big ol' titties all hooked up to a milking machine, and of course she was NAKED so the dude got all turned on and just had to have sex with this poor human cow, who I think was... startled? Maybe?

Anyway my point is GROOOOOOSS

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ugh whiteface drow is probably offensive

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Picayune posted:

Uuuuugh I think it was Piers Anthony who wrote that godawful story about a literally mindless naked woman being kept in a barn and milked like a cow? Maybe she had the brain of a cow for some reason? And there was a dude hiding in her barn stall for some reason and the story dwelt lavishly on how naked and mooing and contented this cow-woman with no brain was, eating from a trough, big ol' titties all hooked up to a milking machine, and of course she was NAKED so the dude got all turned on and just had to have sex with this poor human cow, who I think was... startled? Maybe?

Anyway my point is GROOOOOOSS

In the Barn, a novella about a dimension hopping farm inspector

The cow is also 16,and looks like the inspectors boss and even has the same name!

He does not gently caress her tho. But that's okay, cause it's not even the worst part.

Trash posted:

After the childbirth is complete, the baby is taken to the farmer's wife (who is as mentally normal as her husband), who explains and demonstrates quite well why the animals act the way they do: their tongues are cut on birth so they cannot speak, and they are left isolated in dark rooms for their first three years of life, and get as little protein as possible for their first six years - rendering them as dumb as any rodent.

Hitch returns to Earth Prime, and finds himself confused. He watched the cows there, and it comes into his head that the way his world treats its livestock is no different than how Earth #772 treats theirs. He wonders if Earth Prime has the right to pass judgement on that world - for when he writes his report, they will surely make war on #772 to stop the injustices there. And he worries that there might be worlds yet unfound, more powerful than his Earth, which might consider their treatment of "lesser" animals as unacceptable as they consider #772's abuses.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 6, 2020

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
well, that's just a joy

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

twistedmentat posted:

I'm watching a youtuber go to Spirit of Halloween and they have Drizzt and Cattie-Brie costumes :psyduck:

Cattie-Brie holding the bow :cripes:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Splash Attack posted:

i mean, i just looked up george and alanna on the wiki and according to that he's only six years older? which... isn't that wild? i mean, my parents are five years apart, so i don't think it's gross. i think it also helps that they weren't romantically involved until later on in the books where she's an adult, so it's not like he was deliberately grooming her to be his child bride. and to be fair, that's two couples out of several book series featuring a ton of characters - i can't think of anything like daine and numair in her circle of magic books, which are feature a lot of platonic student/teacher relationships. one of the main characters even grows up to be gay in the follow up sequels that i read in high school.

personally i feel there's a very big gap between her and other authors mentioned here when it comes to this pattern.

also i forgot until now that i read the talent and crystal singer books by mccaffery too. :negative: maybe i just am dead to picking up warning signs in fantasy since it was apparently in everything i read as a kid.
I must have misread, 6 years is better than I thought, all things considered.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Black August posted:

that's some dumb nerd puke right there

I dunnom that sounds like something that would work. A Dungeon Master builds an entire world and the gods of said world then proceed to gently caress it up without his consent or knowlage and he dosn't find out until the adventure's go WAY off the rails. Like he's trying to get a party to loot a random dungeon and then the gods start walking around and the DM gets his world taken over by his creations.

Also it gave us the plot of Baldur's Gate I and II, and making your murder-hobo the son of the murder god who became a hobo to make perfect sense and thematic rhym.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

In the Barn, a novella about a dimension hopping farm inspector

The cow is also 16,and looks like the inspectors boss and even has the same name!

He does not gently caress her tho. But that's okay, cause it's not even the worst part.

Why are vegans LIKE THIS

E: that crow thing made me wonder about what counts as being underage when transformation/other species are involved. Is the crow underage because he's probably under 18 in real years, or is he an adult because he was an adult crow who (presumably, i haven't read it) took a form representative of his maturity as a crow. Like, if a 7 year old dog transformed into a 50 year old human, whats going on there. Does it matter if they were fully sapient before or not? If they weren't fully sapient before and became that way post-change are they functionally different than an adult human with amnesia?

I actually dont know, how much is the (relatively) long maturation process in humans down to our complex brains needing time to stew, and how much is our size? Seems like there are quite a few larger (non prey) animals that take a similarly/comparably long time to mature.

Im sure if any fantasy/sci fi book has ever tackled these questions it was done in the grossest way possible

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 6, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pinball posted:

Oh, I remember the Freedom series! In that one I think a woman gets dropped on some sort of colony planet, and she meets a sexy cat-man alien, and they bone. I believe he had a barbed penis.

Pierce actually addressed that in an interview once. She does just dig older men, and was surprised at the blowback she got for Daine/Numair. But she took the criticism and stopped putting it in her books.

As for crow dude... people gently caress up by trying to apply moral relativism to fantasy in regards to actual history; you see I wanted a medieval European setting so I had to marry a 13 year old girl to a 50 year old man for accuracy's sake. The real relativism is to the cannon of fantasy, and animal bridegrooms are a long tradition in folklore across many, many cultures. Trying to figure out if the character is a bird in the body of a man, or something else is missing the point. He's an inherently spiritual creature and you're meant to take his equal footing with the human characters at face value.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Comstar posted:

I dunnom that sounds like something that would work. A Dungeon Master builds an entire world and the gods of said world then proceed to gently caress it up without his consent or knowlage and he dosn't find out until the adventure's go WAY off the rails. Like he's trying to get a party to loot a random dungeon and then the gods start walking around and the DM gets his world taken over by his creations.

Also it gave us the plot of Baldur's Gate I and II, and making your murder-hobo the son of the murder god who became a hobo to make perfect sense and thematic rhym.

yes that's a fine idea but I don't want to see it as the basis of a book unless it's actually written as "God tries to handle their favored people (the protags) but the lesser gods (or angels or whatever) keep loving around the planet" and not "LARRY THE DM'S CREATIONS GOT AWAY FROM HIM! ROLL DICE"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

also if you have to debate and think through the age implications of this creepshit then you're already stumbling way too far towards a real bad place and should walk away

the sex stuff is all creepy and hosed and I don't care about the age of consent of a crow because I don't want to read about magic crowfucking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Sorry I was really high when I posted that, I was trying to think about the implications as in, what would the least bad way to do that be, like how do you have a creature with a rate of ageing that doesn't line up with humans be in a relationship in a non creepy way. I know we've all sort of accepted "500 year old elf/vampire/whatever falls in love with teen/YA human" thanks to its prevalence in media as "normal" but its always seemed equally weird and creepy to me as would a human and some creature that matured at 2-4x our growth rate. If you dont accept human growth rates as some kind of base for "normal" a lot of popular fantasy relationships start getting way weirder.

Like, if you look at Edward as a 100+ year old man creeping on teen Bella (which he is), or all the million identical stories it makes them sooo much less "romantic"