Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Harry’s own life is a synecdoche of revachol: living in the ashes of something long-destroyed and unable to move forward to build something new. If you succeed at solving the crime, there’s a chance for both revachol and yourself, and the date is a hint of what that might look like. even the end of the world can be stopped if humanity stops wallowing in its past and tries to build a bright, creative future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

World War Mammories posted:

yeah, I know, it's just a preexisting song of theirs adapted for the game as opposed to something written specifically for the game. i must post trivia or else i'll die, i am encyclopedia incarnate

-2 Suggestion: Pretentious wanker

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Harry’s own life is a synecdoche of revachol: living in the ashes of something long-destroyed and unable to move forward to build something new. If you succeed at solving the crime, there’s a chance for both revachol and yourself, and the date is a hint of what that might look like. even the end of the world can be stopped if humanity stops wallowing in its past and tries to build a bright, creative future.

huh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So how do I actually investigate the body? I got the ammonia and the handkerchief...but no new options pop up when I go there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

veni veni veni posted:

So how do I actually investigate the body? I got the ammonia and the handkerchief...but no new options pop up when I go there.

Having the ammonia unlocked the check, just try again. If you fail again, kim tells you what to try next.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Desdinova posted:

To the guy who posted about the only thing that fights back the Pale was Art, was this mentioned in the game?

My art stat wasn't that high but didn't read about anything fighting it off, more like other people posted - that it's constantly entropying away the planet/universe.

i'm might be reading too much into this, chances are i'm just trying to a find a decent use for my philosophy degree, but i didn't read art as being the only thing to fight back the pale. much of the church club storyline is about the subconcious and essentially unknown conflict between man and the pale. the first human settlers bring the pale with them, react to the pale by building the 5 (?) churches and somehow manage to fight or slow down the pale. the pale is a destructive and hostile force, but still connected in some (meta)physical way to humanity and human action. by building the churches, realising themselves in the world and realising the literally divine Weltgeist in the form of Dolores Dei (echoes to Hegel's description of Napoleon as "The world soul on horseback"), human production can somehow halt the inevitable and necessary spread of the pale (an unknowable apeiron in which typical rules of form, knowability and multitude adhere to different kinds of rules).

art of course is one of the most 'real' means of realising onesself, but one must imagine the realisation of history, and other less concrete forms of realisation (the act of building a church, and of turning a religious symbol into its secular opposite), would also satisfy the ungraspable demand the pale seems to both fear and rely on. it is in the complex interpersonal relations, between creator and consumer, dealer and user, priest and parish, that the pale can be slowed, perhaps even stopped. that is why i believe DE to be a fundamentally optimistic text, in which the socio-economic material conditions seem to be unsurmountable, but in which a metapyhsical dialectical development is physically necessary. (the inevatable nuclear destruction of Revachol in 22 years then, is the Sein zum Tode through which La Revalochiere and all its/her inhabitants can realise themselves)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i liked the bit where cuno says "gently caress"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i liked the bit where cuno says "gently caress"

:hmmyes:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Uh, I was going through my clipboard and passed out after reading a letter...and the game started over? Did I hot some gimmick end? Should I save scum this or just push on? I can't tell to what level I just got trolled here.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Read the words, they are not the same words as the start.

I mean, most advice is "Read the words. Just keep going."

And keep a couple of manual saves as autosaves can be far apart, and F1 give you UI help and tells you aout quicksave/quickload keys. Which you probably shouldn't use, but gently caress it, most of us have.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Uh, I was going through my clipboard and passed out after reading a letter...and the game started over? Did I hot some gimmick end? Should I save scum this or just push on? I can't tell to what level I just got trolled here.

Push on, scared the bejeezers out of me too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

oscarthewilde posted:

i'm might be reading too much into this, chances are i'm just trying to a find a decent use for my philosophy degree, but i didn't read art as being the only thing to fight back the pale. much of the church club storyline is about the subconcious and essentially unknown conflict between man and the pale. the first human settlers bring the pale with them, react to the pale by building the 5 (?) churches and somehow manage to fight or slow down the pale. the pale is a destructive and hostile force, but still connected in some (meta)physical way to humanity and human action. by building the churches, realising themselves in the world and realising the literally divine Weltgeist in the form of Dolores Dei (echoes to Hegel's description of Napoleon as "The world soul on horseback"), human production can somehow halt the inevitable and necessary spread of the pale (an unknowable apeiron in which typical rules of form, knowability and multitude adhere to different kinds of rules).

art of course is one of the most 'real' means of realising onesself, but one must imagine the realisation of history, and other less concrete forms of realisation (the act of building a church, and of turning a religious symbol into its secular opposite), would also satisfy the ungraspable demand the pale seems to both fear and rely on. it is in the complex interpersonal relations, between creator and consumer, dealer and user, priest and parish, that the pale can be slowed, perhaps even stopped. that is why i believe DE to be a fundamentally optimistic text, in which the socio-economic material conditions seem to be unsurmountable, but in which a metapyhsical dialectical development is physically necessary. (the inevatable nuclear destruction of Revachol in 22 years then, is the Sein zum Tode through which La Revalochiere and all its/her inhabitants can realise themselves)

The way I read it is that the pale is sort of a literal interpretation of "the end of history". It's the death of innovation, and so the way to push it back is with new ideas - and the way humans explore new ideas is often through art.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if they were different. Just mostly wanting to make sure I should roll with it vs reload since the intro isn't exactly short. I just paused it and went to make dinner after that happened.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I've recently read an interview with one of the translators for the Russian localisation, and they've mentioned a thing about the pale that sort of made me alter my perspective of it, that's kind of interesting (I'll put it under the spoiler just in case - it's not really plot-related, but can kinda spoil what the pale stands for to those who haven't finished the game)

Essentially, in the Russian version the ZA/UM-mandated word for "the pale" will be "Серость" - literally meaning "the gray", but it has A LOT of connotations in Russian. Apparently it comes directly from Robert Kurvitz, and he used a very similar Estonian word for the pale in his original novel.

In Russian, it's usually used to mean something along the lines of "soul-crushing, depressing routine", or "something unimaginative, boring, mind-numbing", or, when used to describe a person, "somebody who is aggressively, proudly, purposefully boring and dull". It's essentially the opposite of "creativity" or "creation".

I think it neatly expands what the pale stands for - it's not just the suffocating weight of the past creeping onto the present, it's also the suffocating weight of *the present* bearing down on the very human impulse to create, to realize and to connect - and which can be fought by indulging in these impulses, against all odds. At least that's how it reads to me now. Hence the importance of the church quest line.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Getting ready to spin this up for my second playthrough. Struggling to decide how I want to approach the game. I played it fairly straight the first time, aside from being a dedicated communist.

What are some notably fun ways to go about the game?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

nurmie posted:

I've recently read an interview with one of the translators for the Russian localisation, and they've mentioned a thing about the pale that sort of made me alter my perspective of it, that's kind of interesting (I'll put it under the spoiler just in case - it's not really plot-related, but can kinda spoil what the pale stands for to those who haven't finished the game)

Essentially, in the Russian version the ZA/UM-mandated word for "the pale" will be "Серость" - literally meaning "the gray", but it has A LOT of connotations in Russian. Apparently it comes directly from Robert Kurvitz, and he used a very similar Estonian word for the pale in his original novel.

In Russian, it's usually used to mean something along the lines of "soul-crushing, depressing routine", or "something unimaginative, boring, mind-numbing", or, when used to describe a person, "somebody who is aggressively, proudly, purposefully boring and dull". It's essentially the opposite of "creativity" or "creation".

I think it neatly expands what the pale stands for - it's not just the suffocating weight of the past creeping onto the present, it's also the suffocating weight of *the present* bearing down on the very human impulse to create, to realize and to connect - and which can be fought by indulging in these impulses, against all odds. At least that's how it reads to me now. Hence the importance of the church quest line.

Cool!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

blue squares posted:

Getting ready to spin this up for my second playthrough. Struggling to decide how I want to approach the game. I played it fairly straight the first time, aside from being a dedicated communist.

What are some notably fun ways to go about the game?

capitalist and moralist makes you say some very funny things

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've been entertaining the idea of doing a moralist apocalypse-cop: constantly spouting the sensibility of slow, incremental change while also firmly believing the world will end within your lifetime

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've been entertaining the idea of doing a moralist apocalypse-cop: constantly spouting the sensibility of slow, incremental change while also firmly believing the world will end within your lifetime

Vote.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

nurmie posted:

Yeah.

My take on the Pale was that it isn'tthe act of creation that drives the Pale back so much as the emotions. That's why a dance club is potentially a strong defense against it. Excitement, happiness, love, lust, togetherness, satisfaction. Strong emotions surrounding the tiny point of the Pale, restraining its growth and keeping it at bay.

Thinking about it, that may be why Shivers speaks to you like it does when you're dancing. She can reach you past the Pale in that one moment when you gather everybody around you, forget yourself, and join the dance.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

my read is that the pale is what happens when humanity stops progressing forward. it doesn't matter if what you're doing is perfect or not, it matters that you're trying something new. the reason it's encroaching is the Moralintern has basically tried to make the "end of history" happen

zzzzz
Mar 11, 2020
I tried to make a "expert manipulator/intimidator rear end in a top hat" Psyche/Physique and Kim disapproved of something I did and I decided I couldn't live with myself and went back two saves and resolved to never disappoint him again. I just can't be a bad guy when Kim is right there silently being disappointed in me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The pale is the dankest pot smoke ever. The grand stoner lies at the edge and no man or concept can bear the quality of the kush that man is puffing

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Khizan posted:

Yeah.

My take on the Pale was that it isn'tthe act of creation that drives the Pale back so much as the emotions. That's why a dance club is potentially a strong defense against it. Excitement, happiness, love, lust, togetherness, satisfaction. Strong emotions surrounding the tiny point of the Pale, restraining its growth and keeping it at bay.

Yeah, this works even better! Also goes better with why churches were originally used to contain the pale - churches generally being places where strong emotions often happen and are experienced in unison

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

The pale is the dankest pot smoke ever. The grand stoner lies at the edge and no man or concept can bear the quality of the kush that man is puffing

*In tommy Lee Jones voice* I have

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arrhythmia posted:

that explains the pale driver

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Dumb fan-fictiony DLC idea: "Disco Elysium: Beyond the Pale" Relive Harry's alcohol-fuelled rebirth in this prequel/vaguely Myers & Briggs personality test inspired character creator, where dialogue determines stats. Move through the fractured remains of Harry's past, visit new (old) locations throughout his formative years in Revachol, as you pick up the pieces and decide what kind of cop he wants to be.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 6, 2020

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
My Fantasy Discolike idea:

Your adventurer wakes up in a cave/forest/whatever naked with amnesia and proceeds to putter around in a Quest for Glory-style small sandbox, trying to figure out what's happening. At the start of the game, you spread points between Barbarian (physical), Bard (social), Rogue (manual), and Wizard (mental) and they talk to you more or less depending on how many points you've put into them. The big reveal will be that there was a teleportation whoopsie and the four-person adventuring party that was coming to help out with whatever ancient evil is threatening the area actually got smooshed into a single person.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
With such strong emotions linked to many of the failures Revachol has gone through, the optimism of creating a better future together is a very strong theme throughout the game. Really still care for Harry :( :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm at the point where being unable to examine the body due to the smell isn't really cute anymore. I can't tell if this is some gimmick roll that is impossible to win or what. I got my endurance up to the point that it was a 97% chance of success and still failed. Actually in general it just seems like I lose nearly every dice roll, even high percent ones. It honestly just makes me not want to do anything in the game because I know I'm just going to lose basically every time. I'd say I've lost about 90% of them at this point.

So now I guess I have to go level up yet again, put yet another point into endurance, so I can open it back up into a white check and probably fail again. And this is pretty much the first task the game gives you, yet after almost 5 hours I have made exactly zero progress on it. It's pretty frustrating and is making the game feel pretty aimless.

I feel like I have accomplished almost nothing and it's just felt like the game has resisted me doing so at every single turn. After 5 hours it'd be nice to I dunno, accomplish something, find my other shoe, have more than 4 dollars in my pocket. There's a lot I love about the game but I'm starting to verge on getting bored because the game doesn't seem to want to let me do loving anything.

E: at least you can save scum dice rolls and get different outcomes I guess. Was able to get it a second time. I guess I have just had exceptionally bad luck thus far.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 6, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
how have you not found your second shoe lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I could tell you. I am one shoe man with a cop poncho and no shirt lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Horizon Burning posted:

You may not be cut out for this.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

A real loving Dick Mullen here.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I'm at the point where being unable to examine the body due to the smell isn't really cute anymore. I can't tell if this is some gimmick roll that is impossible to win or what. I got my endurance up to the point that it was a 97% chance of success and still failed. Actually in general it just seems like I lose nearly every dice roll, even high percent ones. It honestly just makes me not want to do anything in the game because I know I'm just going to lose basically every time. I'd say I've lost about 90% of them at this point.

Have you got your poo poo together? If so, you basically have awful dice luck and don't feel bad about save scumming. Especially if you are doing the "buy a point, recheck." shuffle. Do what you have to to have fun.

The probabilities are pretty accurate but the human brain doesn't like actual probabilities.

OTOH, you never HAVE to look at the body I think. Feel free to wander around and do other things.

EDIT : Not finding the shoe is not a horrible failing, but pressing tab to highlight things and finding doors and exits is an important skill.

EDIT2 : Also, your voice can reach up to balconies. (Unless you can walk there in which case you will fing walk there first.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

I started a run and got a glitch where the post-picking-up-the-second-shoe event didn't fire.
There in the inventory, but somehow the ol' synapses just can't figure out what it MEANS.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I could tell you. I am one shoe man with a cop poncho and no shirt lol

Go read all the Dick Mullen books in the book store, then hopefully the little girl gives you Dick Mullen’s hat so people start calling you Detective Dick Mullen. But don’t worry, I felt that way too and basically thought I wasn’t ‘progressing’ at all, and ended up completing every possible side quest I could do, or at least the ones that were listed in the menu. I think the third time will be a charm, and it’s good to not get the body down too early, because you haven’t honed your detective skills yet, you’re gonna need to do an autopsy.

I also didn’t know where my second shoe was but I think I quickly found some others. (But you threw your shoe out of your hotel room window, it’s on the balcony if you still need shoes)

Also, ‘failing’ the dice rolls doesn’t necessarily = success, there’s some pretty clear instances of this early on. Basically just don’t worry too much about not progressing in the game, or winning or whatever. As long as you try to pass the white checks, which you can come back and try again anyways, you’ll do well. Everything that’s happened so far is the intended experience.

Edit: Oh I missed the bit where you save scummed, but generally you don’t have to do that. Kim would have told you to get your poo poo together after I think like the third day of you throwing up, and you gain a thought that allows you to do it.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 7, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cuno more like shoe-no

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Motorics 6 detective will do the fing autopsy right now, if he can stop puking. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

nurmie posted:

So maybe a closer translation into English would have been the beige.