Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

Bit of a late reply but there is a MapGoons discord server for all Paradox games, it's pretty active. This discord link is here for goons that want to join, should be active for about a day.

https://discord.gg/zB2kKh

RE: we attempted to do a 25 member game today, it did not go well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mantis42 posted:

Turn it up a notch in the settings.

Even at maximum, realms get spread all over the place without much problem. I think the logic behind what counts as “de jure” gets a bit bent when combined with any allowance for custom, or even just non-historical titles, so the rule where holdings outside of the de jure territory is retained a bit too liberally.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Sorry if it's been answered somewhere, but it wasn't when I asked before: can you still see all characters' opinions of another somewhere, because I really can't see it.

Also, why is my ruler's wife just completely nude, what the gently caress? Is it because she's an adulterer?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Now the gaminess is swinging towards the other direction...

I didn't notice Claim Throne was a scheme as opposed to a Casus Belli, so I couldn't use it as the endgame to this abduct-declare war strat. I also used up my Subjugate casus belli on a neighboring kingdom instead of properly using my Invade Kingdom on it (because I wanted to save Prestige :geno: ) so now I don't have an easy way of getting the empire title back. And if I cancel the abduction now to start the Claim Throne, I won't be able to use it again for another 10 years.

Oh well, maybe I should just pop this now and tear off a duchy or something, at the rate the current Empire title is changing hands I'll probably get another opportunity in a few years. Honestly based on what's happened in this character's lifetime, I'm not sure trying to hold an Empire with tribal laws is all that worthwhile lol

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It sucks that 867 is the same as or worse than it was in CK2. Africa is better, actually, but the Abbasids will never go away, Karling bordergore will never end, and random poo poo all over the map will inevitably end up being swedish or danish.

RE: vikingchat earlier, yeah they sailed and settled all over, but viking rulers in Ireland or York or Normandy, let alone loving Italy or Spain or Greece, shouldn't be loyally serving the king of Denmark or Sweden. Notice how all the vikings who start outside of Scandinavia are independent.

I also had high hopes for gavelkind changes but it'll still do the same dumb poo poo where if you have say, two kingdoms, but two duchies in one kingdom and none in the other, bordergore is the only option. The second heir of the second kingdom should just seize land, or even spawn a new holding if tribal. No more Harald Hardrada of Norway and England->Heir One of Lesser Norway and Heir Two of Trondelag and England please.

However, really enjoying it.

e: if anything the bordergore is even worse here. You can have two titles and two heirs but somehow it'll be Norway + Yorkshire + Kent and England + Trondelag + the Orkneys.

I haven't played the game yet, but from what I gather it'd be really good if they brought the bordergore cleanup rule from CK2 back. If a realm isn't contiguous with your empire and is far away enough it goes independent on succession.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

You'd eventually run out of resources. You might only get a fraction of what a vassal makes, but they reinvest what they keep into themselves and build more structures in their settlements, increasing what you make over time. If you just flat out didn't make money then nothing would get upgraded and you'd get quickly outpaced by everyone else

If you could just vanish away all of your vassals once your realm is already 200 counties large, then this seems like it'd be a no brainer. The toughest part would be getting to that point. Having -90% taxes with 10 or fewer counties would be tough. Would take forever to get anywhere.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Daktar posted:

I haven't played the game yet, but from what I gather it'd be really good if they brought the bordergore cleanup rule from CK2 back. If a realm isn't contiguous with your empire and is far away enough it goes independent on succession.

This already exists as a game rule in CK3 that's on by default, but it doesn't seem very effective.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Daktar posted:

It's in already. It just doesn't seem to fire off properly.

It was a bit flakey even back in CK2 in terms of figuring out what would split away and not, and that problem persists and also seems to interact in odd ways with a few other rules.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Yeah the rule's already there, problem is that it doesn't keep up with universal gavelkind constantly generating insane amounts of bordergone and it doesn't deal with the random Norse counties all over the place (at least in the default setting?) because they're connected by sea routes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK now I'm wondering whether something is broken?

I declared war to conquer the High Chiefdom of Borgu, which is currently being owned by a duke-level ruler who's a direct vassal of the empress.

I won the war and enforced my wargoal and nothing seems to have changed? No land has switched ownership and he's still the empress's vassal :confused:

I quit and reloaded just to make sure it wasn't something like that

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think I kinda like the forced partition early on, it gives the game a real sense of progression and I feel like playing because I get noticeably stronger and more stable as time goes on. In particular I noticed when I got bombards sieges would last maybe half a month. I'm really enjoying playing my tutorial game into the 1400s, never got that far in CK2. I'll have to try playing tribal next time though because that seems a lot rougher.

Also, some things are a bit strange when you defeat a crusade as a Christian: :nws: alternate title, empress of nude hippie cult repels vicious armored crusaders :nws: Ah yes, we defeated the armies of St. George with the might of St. George :v:

I'm really enjoying the game, it's fun to try out all different things. I am seeing some bugs here and there though, every now and then I'll get an event that seems to be missing one or more important elements, like this. Using the "Unite Britannia" decision took a bit longer than expected, but eventually after converting the capitals of my non-Irish vassals enough of them flipped for me to make the decision. I am curious what exactly causes a character to be obese, is it feasting too much? I don't feel like I'm getting any events related to overeating. And does the "try to lose weight" decision actually do anything? I've never managed to lose the obese status, even after several years of trying to lose weight.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Magil Zeal posted:

I think I kinda like the forced partition early on, it gives the game a real sense of progression and I feel like playing because I get noticeably stronger and more stable as time goes on.

Forced partition is awesome, I just wish it made sense.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to appoint someone as Court Physician without taking the decision to appoint a physician? A lady just showed up in my court who is better than the one I currently have as my court physician, and I can figure out how to fire the current physician, but not how to appoint the other lady who just showed up.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I'm really liking the difficulty level in this game. The lack of Primogeniture was a tough pill to swallow but you have more options for dealing with it now. I hope they keep melee combat as lethal as it is, it has been a great help for dealing with troublesome vassals and unwanted heirs. Every time my character dies it's like "Kim Jong Un Simulator 2020" as the new king cleans house and consolidates his power.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I love this game so much. I am still very much in a "stupid newbie" phase, but some of the systems in the game are starting to click, and I just managed to take over the Holy Roman Empire for the first time. I did the Bohemia start and quickly formed the Kingdom of Bohemia, and then spent most of my first ruler's reign consolidating power and upgrading all of land in my domain. My heir ended up with a ton of diplomacy, and I married him off to a lowborn wife who had about the same amount. Once my heir took over, I befriended the Emperor. Shortly after we became bros, the emperor became a nudist and appointed me his spy master:

Not his best choice:

Here's the fam looking smug before all of this comes crashing down around me:

There's also something about succession that I still don't understand. Before I took over HRE, there was some weird succession stuff going on in Bohemia. I was the King of Bohemia, and my uncle was the Duke of Moravia. My uncle had at least one of the counties in the duchy. I fabricated a claim and got lucky to get a claim on the whole duchy. When I tried to revoke the title, though, I got a message saying that I couldn't revoke the title because then my uncle wouldn't have any land. Is there some workaround for that?

Edit:

bees everywhere posted:

I'm really liking the difficulty level in this game. The lack of Primogeniture was a tough pill to swallow but you have more options for dealing with it now. I hope they keep melee combat as lethal as it is, it has been a great help for dealing with troublesome vassals and unwanted heirs. Every time my character dies it's like "Kim Jong Un Simulator 2020" as the new king cleans house and consolidates his power.

Also, I attempted using this approach with my uncle to no avail. There was a war between HRE and France that I joined. I kept sending tiny armies of 200 to 300 with my uncle as the commander. The army always got wiped out, but somehow my uncle kept surviving until he got imprisoned. Any time I tried to start a murder scheme again, the chance was always 5% - 10% so I never really attempted one.

Is there a good guide out there on getting rid of inconvenient vassals, or is this just normal CK stuff?

B B fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 6, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a way to appoint someone as Court Physician without taking the decision to appoint a physician? A lady just showed up in my court who is better than the one I currently have as my court physician, and I can figure out how to fire the current physician, but not how to appoint the other lady who just showed up.

If you recruit her to your court, you should have an option somewhere on the right-click menu.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Magil Zeal posted:

If you recruit her to your court, you should have an option somewhere on the right-click menu.

Ah, that was it - she was visiting but not considered a member of my court. Thanks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What determines how much stress you get from the "good" choices in Education events?

Like hell I'm picking any of these when they are giving me 60 stress a pop

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you're from CK2 definitely note, randos who show up in your court have to be paid to be recruited now. Guests will chill for a bit and then move on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Since the cheevo I worked so hard for is borked, I'm gonna start a new game by hitting the random button and then going full roleplay/random fun.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are viking sacrifices carried out via prison execution?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Could anyone give a quick rundown of playing as a tiny single county count? Lol I’m finding myself lost starting out with 50 gold etc. I suppose do good marriages for allies, try and build up my castle, make friends and go from there? Try to grab another county when I can?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baron Porkface posted:

Are viking sacrifices carried out via prison execution?

Yes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Since the cheevo I worked so hard for is borked, I'm gonna start a new game by hitting the random button and then going full roleplay/random fun.

That's literally the best and only way to play CK imo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there really needs to be a better way to see your vassals with non standard (ie reduced after a civil war) onligations then clicking every single going and going to the modify obligations screen

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What determines how much stress you get from the "good" choices in Education events?

There's some base value of stress attached so the "good" choice isn't just a no-brainer and has some push-pull on it. If there's a further modifier due to your personality, it'll say "you gain 36 stress because you're Shy" or whatever right on the tooltip.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think it's just a flat 40 that gets modified by whatever stress modifiers you have.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The way that the game calculates each inheritance with a set law separately for partition (so they all go to your first heir, even if the individual law is the same as the realm) feels pretty exploit-y.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Corbeau posted:

The way that the game calculates each inheritance with a set law separately for partition (so they all go to your first heir, even if the individual law is the same as the realm) feels pretty exploit-y.

Yeah that definitely seems like an oversight. Wouldn't be surprised to see that changed in the first round of balance changes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's just a flat 40 that gets modified by whatever stress modifiers you have.

As a side note, the leisure palace is a good duchy building.

Corbeau posted:

So that's what was happening for 2-3 generations in my Ireland game with Tanistry. I was wondering why I stopped losing my second duchy.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 6, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Sorry if it's been answered somewhere, but it wasn't when I asked before: can you still see all characters' opinions of another somewhere, because I really can't see it.

Also, why is my ruler's wife just completely nude, what the gently caress? Is it because she's an adulterer?

Adamism. Unless that is some randomly generated religion that seems to keep popping up in my kingdom.

One of the aspects of religion you can have is nudism, so I just get people popping up here and there without clothes. In my game Adamism has nudists, multiple wives, gay rights, legal adultery, etc, but lust is a sin and chastity is a virtue. So just hang out and pray naked, and don't be weird about it, alright?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Willfrey posted:

Adamism. Unless that is some randomly generated religion that seems to keep popping up in my kingdom.

One of the aspects of religion you can have is nudism, so I just get people popping up here and there without clothes. In my game Adamism has nudists, multiple wives, gay rights, legal adultery, etc, but lust is a sin and chastity is a virtue. So just hang out and pray naked, and don't be weird about it, alright?

The custom religion I formed is the same. Pastoral Isolation, Native Primitivism, and Mendicant Preachers. We're nudist hippies, but Lustful is still sinful since it's a Christian religion. To select Native Primitvism you can't have any criminal doctrines, so anything goes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Re: inheritance with partition, I've actually had complete success holding only a King level title, Duchy level title, and the complete six counties in that duchy (one of them being my realm capital). The whole duchy seems to count as my primary title, and it'll only distribute titles outside of that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tetramin posted:

Could anyone give a quick rundown of playing as a tiny single county count? Lol I’m finding myself lost starting out with 50 gold etc. I suppose do good marriages for allies, try and build up my castle, make friends and go from there? Try to grab another county when I can?

One thing to bear in mind is that this is basically hard mode in the game - it's not as difficult as a OPM in EU4 but it's still much harder than starting out as a duke. Most of the advice I'm about to give is from experience playing CK2 so I don't know how well it holds up in CK3, but I think they are similar enough that it should still basically work:

1) If you have a huge same-religion kingdom near you, ask to let them vassalize you. You are much more vulnerable to getting your poo poo stolen by being independent as a count. If the only people around you are other counts, you are safer, but even a nearby duke can be a risk and worth submitting to pre-emptively in the short term. Being part of a larger realm also gives you more opportunities for conquest, because you can now individually invade other counts under the same duke/king without having to take on the entire kingdom. The best playstyle to go from a count to a king is to be a tumor in someone else's realm rather than trying to conquer and create it yourself from scratch.

2) Get used to waiting around a lot. You can only expand by kicking people while they're down, so there will be a lot of waiting for opportunities to present themselves. You can use the time you're waiting to set up a lot of marriages and try to form good alliances, but as a count it will be harder for you to get them since most dukes or kings are not going to see you as a worthwhile ally. Making friends with them can be very helpful for this.

3) Focus heavily on martial as your primary stat. Since it will be hard for you to get good marriages as a nobody, your main way of expanding will be through direct conquest and your power will come much more from your ruler's stats than your territory itself - CK3 gives you some extra opportunities here, and going heavy on knights is a good way to punch above your weight. Knights with 20+ prowess are worth hundreds of levies.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Started a game as the Duke of Flanders. Got bullied by Normandy. Said gently caress it and just kept going until the first crusade started. Somehow my beneficiary was named Queen of Jerusalem? Now I'm living that big nuts holy land life and Normandy can eat my whole rear end.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Started a game in 867 Napoli, because I wanted something not-a-tribe and who doesn't love being an orthodox OPM next to the pope surrounded by Catholics and Muslims? It's now a couple of heirs down the line but my habit of recruiting semi-competent peasant revolt leaders after beating up their revolts finally paid off in spades with this absolute unit:

This guy fought off the armies of two Muslim sultanates with about 1.5x my numbers each. I'm not sure he really needed my army to do it, but I guess it didn't hurt. My 31 intrigue ruler assisted by having a lot of people knifed and/or kidnapped.

One of my other Knights (well, the Orthodox equivalent the name of which I forget) is his lover with a mere 22 Prowess, and they've now been together for over 20 years of campaigns. I did have to blackmail his boyfriend into joining the army or else I'd tell everyone he's gay, but I figure it's for a good cause.

Other fun shenanigans: the ruler I formed the Kingdom of Sicily with was a Just, Stewardship-focused fellow with no stat over 10 and a big 0 in Diplomacy. I thought of him as the most boring guy in the room ... until he found out that his son and heir had killed his grandson and daughter, causing his stress to shoot through the roof. After a lot of hemming and hawing about what to do with his now imprisoned kinslayer heir I decided that no, my king would do the right thing and execute the rear end in a top hat. Which he did, causing his wife and entire court to hate him for his kinslaying. The wife eventually had an affair, hosed off to Croatia, had two more sons which she claimed were totally legit and sired within the bounds of marriage and I was never able to prove otherwise; the sons eventually got a part of the partition and their kids now own a decent chunk of south Italy.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Tetramin posted:

Yeah those are the two main ways to get more powerful:

Fabricate a claim on another county in your starting duchy to get big enough to form the duchy properly (larger duchies may need multiple counties). Once this is done you can force the remaining counts to take a knee.

or

Produce lots of children try to line up your heir to inherit something down the road. May require murder plots.

Both these things require passing months (or more) at a time between actions you take. Before I knew what I was doing in CK2 it felt wrong to fast forward through big chunks of time, but that is a pretty normal thing to do. That being said starting out as a single county count is kind of hard mode. Being a duke in a larger kingdom/empire is probably a better way to get your bearings in the game.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looking for some advice:

I generally start a game, play for a few hours, and then have a holy war declared on me by a much larger ruler with 5x my military power and get rolled despite calling in reinforcements from allies, using mercenaries, etc. Is this just me not focusing enough on military? I feel like even if I knew this was going to happen and tried to prepare for it from the very beginning I'd be unable to defend or have allies of high enough power. What am I doing wrong?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know if this is just for tribal but Living Legends getting 100% vassal levies is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Extremely noob question incoming because this is my first CK and holy crap. Apologies.

I continued the Irish tutorial dynasty because it seemed like a good way to get my bearings and worry about a somewhat small goal to start (get counties, establish Kingdom of Ireland), but I wanted to straighten out something in my brain. If I get the last county I need for the Kingdom, will that make it easier to bring the other Irish counties under my rule without fabricating claims and then going to war because I’m their De Jure ruler? I see the option to suggest they become my vassal but there’s always huge penalties to it because of that. I suppose I could manipulate the succession lines to get them too but that involves figuring that poo poo out and one thing at a time.

However, my old king died and I had to set it up so my brother unfortunately choked on a chicken bone to get a duchy back since he tragically had no children, so that was fun. :getin: