Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
How far are we from having a social distanced California Goon fly-in?

edit: Snnniiiipppppeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Today is like the 6th time I'm trying to get a student to do his Commercial checkride. In 3 and a half weeks, scheduling with 3 different DPEs multiple times. NorCal is kinda sucky rn.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

PPL checkride is approaching fast. Of course, right now the forecast is 20g25 + rain when I'm scheduled lol :gbsmith:

I got rescheduled 3 times in Ohio, and my written expired between try 2 and 3. Still got there, don't worry about it. Examiner will appreciate it if you exercise good judgement with weather.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Mine also is scheduled for next week and I hope the fires are somewhat burned out by then because it's been 2 1/2 SM FU HZ the last several days. There's ash on the car every time I go outside.

Hell World 2020 :toot:

I would still have to fly in that...they've sent them with 700' ceilings..(granted, our minimas are easier and we fly a lot slower...and have the ability to stop if needed :D).
It would still suck, though.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

e.pilot posted:

I would say learn powered first then do glider as an add-on, nothing you do in a glider counts towards your power certificate. Having your power certificate makes getting the glider add-on an absolute piece of cake.

Unless all you're planning on doing is flying gliders of course.

That probably depends on your country. My understanding is that you can get a PPL quite a bit cheaper in Finland if you first get a glider license, upgrade that to motor glider and then upgrade to PPL. Of course this route will most likely take more time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I'm in Kenosha and being in a living nightmare made my flight training stop completely. I still could have gone but the stress was too much. So I haven't flown in almost 2 weeks. I only had 3 lessons getting me back into it but I learned that I still knew a lot of stuff from when I flew years ago. A 2 week break might set me back a little bit but probably not much. I haven't picked up a book in those 2 weeks either though and I'm finding the studying to be a little difficult. Mostly the regulations.

I'm using the Gleim stuff and after I read a lesson I take a 20 random question test. The next day I read the next lesson and take the old test plus a new 20 random question text about the new stuff. New chapter, 2 previous tests, one new test. I probably won't be able to keep that up because I don't want to be taking 8 tests a day. I'll have to structure a new learning program.

Anyway, I scheduled another flight for Monday so I'll be back into it and then going full speed ahead at a few days a week at least.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

cigaw posted:

Today is like the 6th time I'm trying to get a student to do his Commercial checkride. In 3 and a half weeks, scheduling with 3 different DPEs multiple times. NorCal is kinda sucky rn.
Trip report, student passed! :toot:

Conditions do seem to be improving, if slowly. Hang in there flygoons.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh god I didn't know there was an oral exam for a pilot's license.

I'm like, extremely good at taking multiple choice tests. But after a few brain problems my memory retention isn't so great so pulling stuff out of my brain on the fly is going to take some serious work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You are allowed to have reference materials for the oral exam. You can't just look everything up, but you also aren't expected to memorize the entire FAR/AIM. Demonstrating that you know where to find the answers to questions that might come up in future flying is also important.

Like, it's important to know things like communication procedures and airspace visibility minima off the top of your head. It's not as important to memorize the list of conditions your doctor must ask you about in a BasicMed exam.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

You are allowed to have reference materials for the oral exam. You can't just look everything up, but you also aren't expected to memorize the entire FAR/AIM. Demonstrating that you know where to find the answers to questions that might come up in future flying is also important.

Like, it's important to know things like communication procedures and airspace visibility minima off the top of your head. It's not as important to memorize the list of conditions your doctor must ask you about in a BasicMed exam.

A good DE will also be willing to rephrase questions if he can see that you don’t have the information in immediate recollection. A good DE will make an oral exam feel more like a specific-topic conversation than a test. He’s there to make sure you didn’t just rote-memorize the info on the written, and that you actually retained the important bits and have the general knowledge to find what you need in the future.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
That said, there are certain things that you do need to have rote memorized, because you won't really be able to look them up in flight, and you should have a pretty decent understanding of Part 91 rules and the AIM as it applies to GA. If the examiner says, "You're flying around in the bravo airspace, what do you need to enter it? (transponder, two way comms and specifically to hear the words cleared into the bravo).. great great, it's starting to get a little bit cloudy inside the bravo and you're below 10,000 feet.. How far away from the clouds do you need to stay?" Conversational. But of course in bravo it's clear of clouds. So if you answer with the delta requirement ("1000 feet below, 500 feet above, and 2000 feet horizontally") he might say "Are you sure?" and he might be giving you a clue to try again (but some DPEs will also ask that when you're right if you seem unsure to test you a bit). A really nice DPE might ask, "Okay, what is it in delta?" and then when you answer you might go "OH yeah and crap bravo is clear of clouds", etc. If you have to look up every question, you're not going to pass the oral, but looking up a few as long as you can reasonably quickly reference them is fine.

I would watch some videos of them on youtube, such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr483zBbQKw to get a sense of what it's all about.
I went into mine blind and poorly prepared, and it was way more stressful than it should have been, and I probably wouldn't have failed if I had just observed someone else's oral and backseated their checkride. (A practice they did at my 141 flight school that was like "wait, you can do that? oh sheesh I wish I had done that as a student.)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Got introduced to landing on logs today. This is easily the hardest thing I've done sofar and I probably learned more about hovering and landing in those 10 minutes than I would have in 2 hours playing around in the infield.
You have to put the front of the skids on the log and then balance it there. Normally it's done for people exiting/entering areas where the ground isn't flat enough for landing.
Video might not be that interesting, but this is the hardest I've worked, probably since the first time trying hovering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBwLVwH3tyA

Also rocking my snazzy new helmet, which I'm sure helped. Actually, the sound is soo much better in this helmet and it's much much easier to talk.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Got introduced to landing on logs today. This is easily the hardest thing I've done sofar and I probably learned more about hovering and landing in those 10 minutes than I would have in 2 hours playing around in the infield.
You have to put the front of the skids on the log and then balance it there. Normally it's done for people exiting/entering areas where the ground isn't flat enough for landing.
Video might not be that interesting, but this is the hardest I've worked, probably since the first time trying hovering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBwLVwH3tyA

Also rocking my snazzy new helmet, which I'm sure helped. Actually, the sound is soo much better in this helmet and it's much much easier to talk.

I know our (H-60) pilots loved pinnacle practice. They'd put the wheels on the edge of the fire training building and let dudes fastrope down into windows and stuff. Having dudes swinging from ropes and whatnot when you're trying to balance is apparently really challenging and fun.

Thanks for these videos!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Slaughter posted:

That said, there are certain things that you do need to have rote memorized, because you won't really be able to look them up in flight, and you should have a pretty decent understanding of Part 91 rules and the AIM as it applies to GA. If the examiner says, "You're flying around in the bravo airspace, what do you need to enter it? (transponder, two way comms and specifically to hear the words cleared into the bravo).. great great, it's starting to get a little bit cloudy inside the bravo and you're below 10,000 feet.. How far away from the clouds do you need to stay?" Conversational. But of course in bravo it's clear of clouds. So if you answer with the delta requirement ("1000 feet below, 500 feet above, and 2000 feet horizontally") he might say "Are you sure?" and he might be giving you a clue to try again (but some DPEs will also ask that when you're right if you seem unsure to test you a bit). A really nice DPE might ask, "Okay, what is it in delta?" and then when you answer you might go "OH yeah and crap bravo is clear of clouds", etc. If you have to look up every question, you're not going to pass the oral, but looking up a few as long as you can reasonably quickly reference them is fine.

I would watch some videos of them on youtube, such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr483zBbQKw to get a sense of what it's all about.
I went into mine blind and poorly prepared, and it was way more stressful than it should have been, and I probably wouldn't have failed if I had just observed someone else's oral and backseated their checkride. (A practice they did at my 141 flight school that was like "wait, you can do that? oh sheesh I wish I had done that as a student.)

Shadowing orals on stage checks was common practice at the first 141 school I went to and was great for Peace of Mind as to what was to come, especially on the first one. I didn't backseat the stage because, if I remember right, the guy also flew a 152.

"Are you sure about that?" was also common with our in-house DPEs at Being Airline Owned Means Everything, but discouraged at our current training partner. Whether that's because it's seen as a dick move or because our local examiner doesn't do it himself is unclear.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Are you sure about that?" was also common with our in-house DPEs

Haha I got one of those on my PPL oral, but I didn't catch the clue and confidently doubled down for several cycles all the way through. But I did well everywhere else and didn't fail. I think I switched the bottom vs. top cloud clearance in one of the airspaces.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Like others said, as long as you have the important stuff memorized, a reasonable DPE shouldn't care if you have to look some stuff up, as long as you know where to find it, and aren't looking up absolutely everything.

Even on the CFI oral (which is normally several hours long), you're still allowed to look stuff up, and at that point you're almost expected to, due to how much stuff you could get asked.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I think I've watched 4 full mock checkride orals on youtube, and done 3 kinda-mock flying checkrides with 3 different instructors. I actually feel.... pretty good about it at this point. All the youtube checkrides really helped me gauge the experience, especially the newer ACS based ones. I am absolutely happy to talk about flying for 90 minutes, and that's basically what it boils down to. Also hearing that my DPE is just generally a pretty reasonable guy helps :)

I did talk to DPE and ended up rescheduling it until later this week, because the weather that was forecast to be marginal (20g25, rain earlier in the day) is now forecast to be total no-go (33g46, rain and/or snow before during and after).

:riker:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The key to any check ride is just keeping a level head, not panicking, and don’t dwell on mistakes. You can’t undo whatever thing you just did, so just keep flying and focus on your next maneuver.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The video posted in the other thread is a good analogy of what happens when you don’t do that.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9ETs1j6AA

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

wait what other thread

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

e.pilot posted:

The video posted in the other thread is a good analogy of what happens when you don’t do that.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9ETs1j6AA

WTF? He did just about everything wrong.

That video led me to this one as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDS3QuUWls

Who lets these people out solo?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

wait what other thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3276654&perpage=40&pagenumber=1786#pti4

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
For anyone with recent experience in Cessna 172's, is the yoke supposed to rotate that far, or did he yank on it hard enough to break a pulley loose?

I seem to remember the yokes only turning about 90 degrees in roll, but it's been about six years since I flew a Cessna, so my recollection may be totally wrong.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Someone can have their reactions up to complete consistency under a variety of conditions for long enough to give the instructor confidence, and then gently caress it up solo.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I feel like he panicked and with what remained of his non-lizard brain he thought to go around. then all hell broke loose then he was just along for the ride

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That video is every bad dream I have where suddenly wait why am I still on the ground why aren’t the controls doing anything why is my 9th grade math teacher in the copilot seat

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WTF? He did just about everything wrong.

That video led me to this one as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDS3QuUWls

Stalls on solo flights in my private program were limited to imminent only.

God, I thought it couldn't get any dumber than the video with the Asian student who landed off Centerline, hippity hopped through the grass, and end up burying the nose. Phone posting or I would post the link myself.

E- and how/why are these making it to YT? If I bin an airplane, the GoPro is going down with it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 6, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

wait what other thread

the non-job aviation thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&perpage=40&noseen=1

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Granted, I only got 1 hour in a Cessna 152 (When I was first looking at doing my UK PPL conversion), but once the instructor found out that I'd done aerobatics he was like "Hey, wanna spin it?", which I couldn't refuse...but I mean, you had to crank it to get it to go.

The place where I've been actually doing my conversion, on DA-20s, is imminent stall only as well. You can barely feel it and unless you're activily anticipating it, I doubt you would notice.
I don't understand why learning to recover from a spin isn't taught.

The landing one, he's coming in at 100knots. I thought it was a sim first, due to the funky lighting and the behaviour of the plane/pilot!.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAA research suggested that more people were dying in spin training than would be saved from drilling the recovery procedures, since intentional spins always carry some risk, and most of the fatal ones were occurring in the crosswind or final turns at an altitude too low to recover anyway.

They switched to teaching "spin awareness" training, emphasizing an understanding of the conditions that cause a spin and how to avoid them, and they still require you to know the steps to recover, but you don't intentionally spin the plane as part of PPL training any more. Commercial pilots and up still have to do them, though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Granted, I only got 1 hour in a Cessna 152 (When I was first looking at doing my UK PPL conversion), but once the instructor found out that I'd done aerobatics he was like "Hey, wanna spin it?", which I couldn't refuse...but I mean, you had to crank it to get it to go.

The place where I've been actually doing my conversion, on DA-20s, is imminent stall only as well. You can barely feel it and unless you're activily anticipating it, I doubt you would notice.

The landing one, he's coming in at 100knots. I thought it was a sim first, due to the funky lighting and the behaviour of the plane/pilot!.

DA20s are real assholes to spin compared to 152s. In a 152 you have to do everything wrong and hold it that way, and it still barely spins. A DA20 you had better be ready to correct it or you’ll be getting real close to Vne.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

e.pilot posted:

A DA20 you had better be ready to correct it or you’ll be getting real close to Vne.

Right, but why not at least stall it, with the instructor there to bail you out? Or does it snap that badly?
(Ah, a video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnHjmsSuLYw

Seems reasonably well behaved. Recovery looks a little slow, but it's hard to tell how aggresive they are on it.
Edit: A little clearer in this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgLPpoXTARU

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 6, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah I mean you still have to do everything wrong to get it to spin, but unlike a cessna where you can kinda just let go of everything and it’ll sort itself out you have to actively recover relatively quickly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

They switched to teaching "spin awareness" training, emphasizing an understanding of the conditions that cause a spin and how to avoid them, and they still require you to know the steps to recover, but you don't intentionally spin the plane as part of PPL training any more. Commercial pilots and up still have to do them, though.

Right..whereas I would say that spinning actually teaches how it works and would show what can happen when you use aileron in near-stall flight regimes far better than any talking about it would...or at the very least let the stall fully develop.

In my proper aerobatics lesson in the Pitts, I had to stall it as well...then hold it there, in the stall, stick fully back, keeping it upright and on heading with the rudder only. Felt like going down in a very fast elevator!. (Recovery was equally hilarious...just add power, relax the back pressure and it just flew out of it, horizontally).

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Right..whereas I would say that spinning actually teaches how it works and would show what can happen when you use aileron in near-stall flight regimes far better than any talking about it would...or at the very least let the stall fully develop.

In my proper aerobatics lesson in the Pitts, I had to stall it as well...then hold it there, in the stall, stick fully back, keeping it upright and on heading with the rudder only. Felt like going down in a very fast elevator!. (Recovery was equally hilarious...just add power, relax the back pressure and it just flew out of it, horizontally).

That sounds about right for a biplane with a thrust to weight ratio of "yeah, sure."

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I had to do all my spin training in the school's extra 300 because my fat rear end couldn't get a 172 into the utility category with more than about 10 gallons of gas in it. The Extra got real spicy if you let it do more than about 3 turns and you really had to have PARE drilled down pat to recover correctly. We even did inverted spins which is the most scrambled my inner ear has ever been. Came pretty close to yaking from that.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Doing spins in the Cessna 140 I got my PPL in was a good experience. You basically had to hold pro-spin controls for it to go, as soon as you even approached neutral controls it recovered, and like has been mentioned with other planes, you end up approaching Vne quickly because it spins very nose-low and is also a fairly slick airplane.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I do a heavy amount of spin training (spins and other out of control flight a few times a week at least) and if it has any tangible benefit it’s that it teaches you have to try really loving hard to spin a T-6 and if you do, it’s pretty simple (neutral controls or an opposite rudder input) to get out of.

That being said I think those concepts are lost on the majority of pilots. I definitely didn’t know them when I did this as a student.

Also let’s you know who your airsick students are reeeeeally quick.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I totally understand why spin training is not a requirement. A lot of people freak out and react dangerously even on a Cessna 150. One experience I will never forget was training power on stalls with a guy who was scared shitless of stalls. As soon as the stall was imminent he jammed in his left leg into the rudder and locked the yoke to the right with all his strength. We lost over 2,500ft before I recovered the controls by yelling and punching him a few times in the ribs. He quit training for good. If we had been in a less forgiving airplane we could have died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How do banner-towing planes take off and land? Do they just start with the banner lying on the ground behind the plane and drag it along the (presumably grass) runway, or do they winch it in somehow? What dangers do you have to be aware of in those operations?

There's been a guy in a PA18 towing a GEICO banner back and forth over the beach here every day this week, flying 30 knots over the ground according to ADS-B, and that seems like either a really relaxing job or a really mind-numbing one.