Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kitchner posted:

That scenery piece is great

I've always been partial to this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

The Emperor is a co...

...cool guy?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
a cod

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How do you guys store terrain? I've been having fun exploring "larger" projects since getting the air brush. Never painted or purchased terrain before in my life.

love this

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Thank ye! I've been having fun making terrain recently. You can be way more sloppy and creative than painting expensive man's, it feels like.

^ I'm also curious what storage solutions people have as I'm so tight for space currently I am shoving pieces under the bed in old amazon boxes and have 4 2x2 board sections stacked sideways by my bed. I think the answer is more shelves even so I need maximum efficiency in my tiny rental room!

Schadenboner posted:

I thought about this scene exactly! If my clumsy hands were better at airbrushing tiny writings, I would have written imperials ite domum 100 times all over some building then have the catachan with his head blown off at the last one.

I still have an unopened Renegade box in my shame pile that includes a big adeptus mechanicus terrain piece so it's not too late I guess.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So is that scenery set on 30k-era Monarchia and the Ultramarines shot him or did a chaosboi shoot the Catty or what? What's the diegetic narrative here?

E: Oh, that's a "C" not a "G", The Emperor Is A Corpse?

E2: Big Red Dwarf opening energy too.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 5, 2020

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Schadenboner posted:

So is that scenery set on 30k-era Monarchia and the Ultramarines shot him or did a chaosboi shoot the Catty or what? What's the diegetic narrative here?

E: Oh, that's a "C" not a "G", The Emperor Is A Corpse?

E2: Big Red Dwarf opening energy too.

The Emperor Is A Con

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

This is great. Semi-related question, where'd you get the Arbites? I've seen material related to them as a faction but the figures don't seem to be available anywhere.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Communist Walrus posted:

This is great. Semi-related question, where'd you get the Arbites? I've seen material related to them as a faction but the figures don't seem to be available anywhere.

Oh, it's not mine: I only wish I had that skill (and those figures), I just really like it as a vignette.

I think the arbite is one of the Oldcromunda Enforcers from "back in the day" (as the kids say these days).

Keep in mind that there were a few even earlier arbites-qua-arbites as well. I'm 99% sure they had rules in the Codex Imperialis army list from the 2E starter set but I don't think these are those.

E: I spoke in error. They look to be the 1991/93 Arbites, not the Oldcromunda Enforcers (which are technically Enforcers who are local law enforcement not Arbites which are Imperial (although the fluff indicates that Enforcers basically use the same patterns as Arbites (just like a surprising number of Imperial Guard regiments just-so-happen to use "Cadian Pattern" equipment :thunk:))).

E2: To address the actual question, the 2017 Necromunda has a gang called the Palanite Enforcers representing local (not Imperial) law enforcement on Necromunda. Upon release I personally didn't like the helmets (I thought they looked too much like Intercessors) but it's turned out that it was mostly the studio paint scheme being weird/bad/poorly applied and they look a lot better when painted better.

E3: I think the '91/'93 Arbites might have been part of a planned Judge Dredd miniatures game (GW was and then was-not managing that IP in some capacity and I suspect they just went :shrug: and released their Judges Dredd as "Arbites" (they're really really really thematically similar because 40k is a mulligan stew setting, see also: Guild Navigators and tons and tons else))?

E4: The Codex Imperialis was the fluff book from the 2E set, the army list book was just called "Codex Army Lists". That was also the last official sighting of Squats-qua-Squats (at least in 40k) until they came back in Necromunda '17.

E5: Goddamn did the Codex Army Lists have a lot of neat stuff in it.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 5, 2020

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I have been having so much fun painting necrons lately. They are definitely one of the easiest armies to paint, not only because the models are basically all metallics, but because they still look great without a bunch of weird dangles and ornamentation and there's a consistent use of the same materials across the whole line. I've owned three other armies before this one but never learned so much about establishing an army color scheme and workflow. As a result, after a month I already have more painted models in my necron army than any of the other ones that I've owned for a year+.

Anyway here's a few pictures of my most recent metallic sons.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

The Emperor is a co...

...cool guy?

The Emperor, I'm sorry to say, is a cop.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What does cod need with a webway?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

something something wetway

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
The emperor is a cock .. or co ngenial to justice and order. Could be either one really.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 5, 2020

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
What’s a king to a cod / what’s a cod to a non-believer

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I just finished up the Blade Guard Veterans!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finally finished my Pteraxii Sterylizors. These dudes are really hard to get good photos of as a group.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mikey Purp posted:

I have been having so much fun painting necrons lately. They are definitely one of the easiest armies to paint, not only because the models are basically all metallics, but because they still look great without a bunch of weird dangles and ornamentation and there's a consistent use of the same materials across the whole line. I've owned three other armies before this one but never learned so much about establishing an army color scheme and workflow. As a result, after a month I already have more painted models in my necron army than any of the other ones that I've owned for a year+.

Anyway here's a few pictures of my most recent metallic sons.

Usually when you slap down a ton of metallic paint on a mini your inner voice wants to say "jesus christ no" but man when i cover a necron in vallejo liquid silver my entire body tenses with the same energy i felt the first time I saw a terminator when i was like five and that is some incredible magic to capture in 28mm

These are great btw, I feel a little unsure about the base when I look at it directly but it contrasts so well with the glowy bits on the top as a whole piece, I like it a lot

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 5, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

I thought about this scene exactly! If my clumsy hands were better at airbrushing tiny writings, I would have written imperials ite domum 100 times all over some building then have the catachan with his head blown off at the last one.

Over in Historicals, this is the box cover art for Warlord Games' Imperial Roman Auxiliaries:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm the guy on the right who needs to have two soldiers shouting at him, one in each ear, as I'm dragged to execution/slavery.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kitchner posted:

I'm the guy on the right who needs to have two soldiers shouting at him, one in each ear, as I'm dragged to execution/slavery.

Pretty historically accurate!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I keep breaking tiny arms and tamiya putty is a nightmare bitch on the sinuses to work with so the six-gun necron is taking a little time to get finished, in the meanwhile I've been fiddling with the necrons from my recruit box and was just kind of fooling around with moss from hobby lobby:

I feel like this looks loving great (especially when you're standing a few feet away like god drat) and will probably end up doing this for at least the rest of the necrons in the box

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 6, 2020

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I love it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cessna posted:

Over in Historicals, this is the box cover art for Warlord Games' Imperial Roman Auxiliaries:

The artwork on Historicals and Tanks are always such a tease. It looks so sick and then you open the box and its like, plastic army men. I swear lots of tank boxes don't even have a picture of the model on them, that seems crazy coming from 40k.

Like with GW they get the world's best paintjobs for the cover and it looks way cooler than what yours will look like, but at least its the same plastic!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zaphod42 posted:

The artwork on Historicals and Tanks are always such a tease. It looks so sick and then you open the box and its like, plastic army men. I swear lots of tank boxes don't even have a picture of the model on them, that seems crazy coming from 40k.

Like with GW they get the world's best paintjobs for the cover and it looks way cooler than what yours will look like, but at least its the same plastic!

The box minis are also completely artless, so it's possible to have your minis comes out subjectively much better than the box.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Then you have Malifaux that just has colorless 3D renders on the box.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I dunno, the old 40k vehicle boxes with the painted fronts were sick as hell.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
"You know, I heard the troops laughing. General Votsedge, better trained in table manners than in military strategy! Well, who is laughing now? My table manners and ability to keep a stiff upper lip was all that stopped me from joining the rest of my women in the exciting and fast moving world of ancient fashion. My hosts seemed quite amazed at my ability to continue to drink my tea despite what were honestly quite childish attempts to shock me by wearing the mutilated skins of my command squad, prompting even my opposing number to come over in person to introduce herself. She spoke quite poor Gothic and seemed doubly impressed when I corrected her pronunciation - she even laughed and thanked me, saying that it would have been deeply humiliating to have introduced herself in the future with such an accent!

"She introduced herself as Overlord Lizadal - though I advised her that the title was better suited for some sort of minor manufactorium despot than a figure of her magnificence. I subsequently suggested that she introduce herself as something perhaps a bit more refined, such as 'Tzarina', which she seemed to take a liking to. I am particularly fortunate that she happened to be wearing the quartermaster at the time, which prompted me to suggest the location of my regiment's supply dump so that I would have a reasonable supply of food while under her hospitality. Boldness seemed to be the right approach, for she directed her minions to do as I suggested.

"So now, in no danger of starvation, I will continue to perform my duty to the God-Emperor and continue to accumulate intelligence about the nature of this rather spectacular new threat that teleported into my regiment's fortified compound. Whomsoever reads this, understand that I remain a loyal servant of the Golden Throne despite my sudden tenure as a guest of foreign nobility. I will continue to write my first hand observations as to Tzarina Lizadal's military campaigns and what will no doubt be the crushing Imperial counterblow, God-Emperor willing."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Super dope

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Currently working on magnetizing my new custodes 5 man kit.
Magnetizing the following locations:

• Head
  • Body (two holes bored on each side of the chest for each arm, and one up top for the head)
  • Arms (2 sets) shoulder and wrist joints

Now I can have them equip swords, shields, spears, and guns. I want to be able to swap heads too for the hell of it.

Unfortunately the Saggitarum upgrade kit didn't come with shoulders so I created two molds for the ten pieces the original kit did come with. I'm really hoping they work.

I accidentally snapped one of the guardian spears and couldn't glue it back together for some reason though so I ended up giving it to my Feirros IW conversion.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
My phone won't stop autocorrecting Flesh Tearers to Flesh Teasers

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BaronVanAwesome posted:

What if Blood Angels but Slaanesh instead of Khorne?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I am Chapter Master Simponius Dominatus of the Flesh Teasers. Show me to your front lines.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Hello,

I have some extra time on my hands and lately have been thinking I had a need for a creative outlet, so I decided to get back into minis. 8 years ago I got into Warmahordes, but got out painting and playing 5 years ago. I almost got back into minis with 40k 8th in 2018 and picked up the first strike box, but talked myself out of getting into it before painting anything. I had originally wanted to get into 40k back in 2012, but no one was playing in the local stores. I still really like the fluff and play the PC games, and its been something I check out occasionally. Seeing 9th had just come out I decided to pull out the marines I had, prime one up, and try painting again. So here is my first Space Marine and first model I've painted in 5 years.

(I started basing and realized I forgot to order my grass)

I'm using Drew Palies' Emperor's Havoc color scheme with some small tweaks. I'm satisfied with how it came out. Going forward I'd like to get the edge highlights cleaner. I think I might take them down a level, he uses Admin Grey for the edge on Mech Standard Grey base, and I'm thinking of going down to dawnstone for edge instead. Also I'd like the crest to be more black so I think basing it in Eshin Grey with Nulin wash and then a darker highlight.

I also found out a GW store opened 10 min away from me last year and was still open through covid. I went down to get the paint I was missing and ended up buying the Indomitus box too, so I have much more to paint. I primed the 2 other Intercessors to paint this week. The Sgt Ill keep more detailed but I want to try a quicker paint on the 3rd one.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 7, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
edit-- nevermind

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 7, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fingat posted:

So here is my first Space Marine and first model I've painted in 5 years.

Welcome to the hobby! That dude looks pretty cool, I like the colour scheme a lot. Sounds like you've got yourself a good start for a space marine army. Though may want to hold off on buying too much in way of models before the new codex is released in October unless you have unlimited money and don't mind risking buying stuff that later you don't need.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I finished up my mekboy workshop!

Decided to go with some bright primary colors splattered on in an orky fashion, with lots of rusty metal.

This was a ton of fun to paint. There are a lot of really great details in amongst the tools. See if you can spot the official Citadel Mold Line Scraper.

It was an absolute pain in the rear end tracing all of the individual wires and coloring them, and then cleaning up around them. A pox on them, I say.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Kitchner posted:

Welcome to the hobby! That dude looks pretty cool, I like the colour scheme a lot. Sounds like you've got yourself a good start for a space marine army. Though may want to hold off on buying too much in way of models before the new codex is released in October unless you have unlimited money and don't mind risking buying stuff that later you don't need.

Thanks, I think what I have now and from the Indomitus will keep me plenty busy and a good base to start with. With Covid who knows when Ill actually start playing them, for now its just painting.

JackMann posted:

I finished up my mekboy workshop!

It was an absolute pain in the rear end tracing all of the individual wires and coloring them, and then cleaning up around them. A pox on them, I say.

This is great, but so many little bits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Has anyone ever seen or know of skeletons kitbashed as guardsmen. Maybe it's as simple as buying some skele kits and kitbashing them to be holding lasguns. It's surprisingly difficult to find model skeletons these days. The only ones I know of are the super busy AoS ones, and the warlord games ones which look very Halloween themed. I really want to do a spooky skele regiment of guards for halloween.