Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Epicurius posted:

Like I said, walking ball of grief. But Meyer didn't really know or like Star Trek that much when he worked on the film, so he had his own conception of Kirk as reckless and arrogant.

To be fair about those examples, the Kodos stuff and death of Sam weren't things he had control over and could prevent. He wasn't "in command" of those situations.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kirk had like 3-4 different hairstyles and like 2-3 different uniforms across TOS. I don't remember people saying that needed to be explained...

FIxed it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Astroman posted:

To be fair about those examples, the Kodos stuff and death of Sam weren't things he had control over and could prevent. He wasn't "in command" of those situations.

FIxed it for you.

Keep posting, I'm almost there

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Keep posting, I'm almost there

We talking your hairline or your waistline

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EDIT whoops

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

How does he even know there's no "explanation"? It would scarcely be necessary, but for all we know Burnham has an entire conversation with Saru or Tilly about the new 'do. Or maybe the season opener does a running gag like with Saavik where several characters ask whether she's changed her hair.

It even is already explained, the first trailer for the season shows Burnham is alone in the future separated from the Discovery and everyone else for a year before they're reunited. It even shows her hair gradually growing over time!

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
SPOILERS! Gah!

I can't believe you ruined the season's hair plot arc.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

netflix has seen my watch history. it knows i'm a sucker for irish accents and smoldering eyes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

stupid sexy o'brien

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh man, this is a terrible book of recipes I just bought for 20p. :neelix:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My God.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh man, it’s got a jambalaya recipe (because Sisko) and it’s absolute trash.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, it’s got a jambalaya recipe (because Sisko) and it’s absolute trash.
Post the jambalaya, Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nessus posted:

Post the jambalaya, Doctor.

They have the somewhat flimsy excuse it’s Neelix writing these recipes, and a creole jambalaya would contain tomatoes unlike a cajun one, but the rest of it is utter rubbish.

BAKED?! :gowron: :wtc:

Also lol potatoes

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I mean if you think about it, how would an alien who literally never heard of jambalaya before joining Voyager know how to make it right?

The whole "Neelix is a cook" thing doesn't make a lick of sense

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
They did sort of address it in Voyager I think - where the food he was making early on was gross/inedible because he didn't understand the human palate.

And then my memory is telling me he made a cheese that infected the ship because it has some sort of biological circuitry?

EDIT: The more confusing inaccuracy is that he's using pounds and fahrenheit when I thought it was established that the Federation was using sensible units?

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 6, 2020

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Get this cheese to sickbay

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

its a shame that the ugly enterprise-a got the most movies

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The A only got 2 movies by my count (and a cameo as introduction in Voyage Home)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Statutory Ape posted:

its a shame that the ugly enterprise-a got the most movies

Mods?!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The_Doctor posted:

They have the somewhat flimsy excuse it’s Neelix writing these recipes, and a creole jambalaya would contain tomatoes unlike a cajun one, but the rest of it is utter rubbish.

BAKED?! :gowron: :wtc:

Also lol potatoes

I thought baked jambalaya was just going to mean getting it to a boil transferring it to a low oven, and letting it simmer for a while to complete (like simmering it on the stove but gentler), which is a technique I've seen Serious Eats recommend.

But no, it's uh, baking the cooked rice and cooked "sauce" together. I've never heard of baking jambalaya and not sure why you would.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s no roux either.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

There’s no roux either.

Please post the plankton loaf zucchini-green tea-seaweed bread machine recipe lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The A only got 2 movies by my count (and a cameo as introduction in Voyage Home)

you're right i amend my statement to include all versions of the constitution class

the enterprise-B was beautiful however

also then they could have a movie that was basically Sulu and The Excelsiors

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Humerus posted:

Get this cheese to sickbay

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What was even the point of the gel packs? They were only ever used as an excuse for something breaking.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SardonicTyrant posted:

What was even the point of the gel packs? They were only ever used as an excuse for something breaking.

Brannon Braga circa 1994: “what if the ship could like.... catch a cold?”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

eke out posted:

Please post the plankton loaf zucchini-green tea-seaweed bread machine recipe lol

It sounds bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It sounds bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Raktajino is just ‘lol idk brew some strong coffee?’ I’ve always imagined it like New Orleans style chicory coffee. Thick and that little extra something in the taste.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Supposedly they act like a biological brain would, letting the ship make new connections and compute faster (like a human brain does) but then it was just used for "the ship is alive and its being wacky" episodes

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

An idea that somehow made more sense as technobabble than as shown in the episodes

E: tbh, thats basically voyager in a nutshell

i still like it tho

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_Doctor posted:

Also lol potatoes

...how the hell do you bake so many potatoes at once that you have three to six of them leftover?? :psyduck:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Athanatos posted:

This guy was sure playing the hell out of this glass...bong...squeeze box

Very interesting movement you use to play it also...

I remember someone once sent me a link to a joke post about how "only the finest restaurants can afford a bong stroker", to which I replied "uhhhh, I believe you'll find money does not exist on 24th century Earth, public bong-stroking is clearly that man's passion :v:"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...how the hell do you bake so many potatoes at once that you have three to six of them leftover?? :psyduck:

in all fairness i believe their country starved when there was a bad potato crop so

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

It sounds bad.

oh no

i mean, seaweed is good. but there's only a tablespoon. meanwhile we're eating a quarter cup of rehydrated whole tea leaves

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

From now on this is what I'm calling him. Good ol' Potatoes O'Brien

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Astroman posted:

FIxed it for you.

Hair, hair, hair, hair, dead tribble, dead tribble.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

feedmyleg posted:

From now on this is what I'm calling him. Good ol' Potatoes O'Brien

More like Potatoes O'Dyin', amirite?

Wait

Is there a temporal anomaly?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Powered Descent posted:

Wait

Quantum duplicate potatoes, that's why there's so many leftover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

Wait

I recommend we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno: