Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Groovelord Neato posted:

How was that not a red flag to anyone. He isn't even that old.

People delude themselves into thinking their idiocy is eccentric and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I regret opening YouTube on my phone back when Quibi was doing their stupid ads. They were so bad I wouldn't have checked it out even if it had been successful.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Guess which company is joining with Microsoft to buy the US arm of Tiktok.
Did you guess Facebook? Snapchat? MySpace?

No, you fool, it's... uh... (checks madlibs)
Walmart!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

adoration for none posted:

Guess which company is joining with Microsoft to buy the US arm of Tiktok.
Did you guess Facebook? Snapchat? MySpace?

No, you fool, it's... uh... (checks madlibs)
Walmart!
Next HypeHouse is going to be a converted Walmart, product placement everywhere.

They'll also be uniquely situated to make instamerch when tokkers blow up overnight.

Now at WalMart, exclusive tees featuring 'MyBallzItachi' and "NuttGirl"!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

*uncontrollable cringing*

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I don't go in for :airquote: "lifehacks".

I only support neat tricks that they hate. :colbert:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

super sweet best pal posted:

I regret opening YouTube on my phone back when Quibi was doing their stupid ads. They were so bad I wouldn't have checked it out even if it had been successful.

Lol just lol if you're not running adblockers on your phone and accessing YouTube through the browser instead of the app.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
You can also use an alternative youtube client like NewPipe, at least on Android.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1301734235338932226

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Turns out the Nespresso capsules I bought don't work in the Nespresso Vertuo machine at my new office.

The AUDACITY of changing your machine's standard to break the existing pods is pretty drat amazing, did Apple build this?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

VideoGameVet posted:

Turns out the Nespresso capsules I bought don't work in the Nespresso Vertuo machine at my new office.

The AUDACITY of changing your machine's standard to break the existing pods is pretty drat amazing, did Apple build this?

From what I read, it was because Americans prefer drinking larger coffees than the markets where the older Nespresso equipment is most popular. So they introduced a new system of larger pods specifically for the US market. (but yeah, they should at least let you trade in your old supply or something)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Snackmar posted:

From what I read, it was because Americans prefer drinking larger coffees than the markets where the older Nespresso equipment is most popular. So they introduced a new system of larger pods specifically for the US market. (but yeah, they should at least let you trade in your old supply or something)

Can they build an adapter?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

HootTheOwl posted:

Can they build an adapter?

Coffee dongles

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

VideoGameVet posted:

remember when keurig added literal drm to the loving pods so you could only use their official pods on 2.0 brewers

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Any off-the-shelf coffee-maker is so much better than any of these stupid coffee pod machines. They're a total scam.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
people that get them for home use truely are the worst, but i can sort of see their utility for offices, hotel rooms/lobbys, waitin rooms.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

adoration for none posted:

Any off-the-shelf coffee-maker is so much better than any of these stupid coffee pod machines. They're a total scam.

I've been using a french press that I picked up at Ikea for like $15 over a decade ago (and a $300 burr grinder lol). But seriously......it's just a good way to make coffee.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Shugojin posted:

remember when keurig added literal drm to the loving pods so you could only use their official pods on 2.0 brewers

Are Keruigs connected to the Internet yet, and if so will they release DLC to enhance the coffee-making experience?

Capitalism seriously can't be satisfied with making a loving thing (even if that thing is so poorly made and guaranteed to be obsoleted either in reality or through bullshit marketing) and just sell it. Eventually you can't wring any more sales and the endless growth profit gods demand you invent zanier and zanier schemes to get people to buy the loving thing they already have or get people to buy the loving thing they don't need. Thankfully tech allows you to just add all manner of useless and pointless poo poo to what is basically an already perfected product!

Lyndon LaRouche fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 6, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's almost never such a thing as perfected product though, as evidenced looking at the evolution of, well, most everything across the last thirty years.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Motronic posted:

I've been using a french press that I picked up at Ikea for like $15 over a decade ago (and a $300 burr grinder lol). But seriously......it's just a good way to make coffee.

If you have hereditary high cholesterol like I do and you drink multiple cups everyday, be aware that brewing methods without paper filters will let cafestol and kahweol through. They're terpenes that have been shown to increase serum cholesterol.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

paperwind posted:

Are Keruigs connected to the Internet yet, and if so will they release DLC to enhance the coffee-making experience?

Capitalism seriously can't be satisfied with making a loving thing (even if that thing is so poorly made and guaranteed to be obsoleted either in reality or through bullshit marketing) and just sell it. Eventually you can't wring any more sales and the endless growth profit gods demand you invent zanier and zanier schemes to get people to buy the loving thing they already have or get people to buy the loving thing they don't need. Thankfully tech allows you to just add all manner of useless and pointless poo poo to what is basically an already perfected product!

The best example of this is still lightbulbs. Beside efficiency, they have been pretty much perfected. But wait! How about people turn them on with their phone!

But it gave the world this comedy gold so its ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
why not just.... do a pinhole button???

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mega Comrade posted:

The best example of this is still lightbulbs. Beside efficiency, they have been pretty much perfected. But wait! How about people turn them on with their phone!

Maybe it's because I write precisely the sort of embedded garbage code that goes into these things, but a) dismissing the massive and very expensive research and advances in lighting technology (and power factor and similar PSU/regulation improvements) as "efficiency" is a bit disingenuous, even if the driving motivation is precisely that; and b) people have been trying to make smart lightbulbs for a long time (so, uh, 40 years since it became feasible, though dynamic lighting without digital control is obviously much older than that; for digital see the DALI protocol by the digital illumination interface alliance from the 90s in current use, recently having a second revision, or the protocols pŕeceding it that are also still in use) and the smartphone (and voice-activated ones) is just another evolution of that.

Even things like movement-activated lights - these days they are often radar-based thanks to inexpensive chips and technology improvements, which results in a much more pleasing performance than classic pir lights (which are based on heat sensing).

e: Buttons are actually pretty finnicky and require fairly expensive mechanical testing, not to mention, well, where are you going to put it on a lightbulb? Generally you want people to keep their hands away from the socket and the bulb can get quite hot.

They could have made the process quicker (ZigBee bulbs do it via a couple rapid on/off switches) but I imagine it's a tradeoff between making it accident- and child-proof (a particular problem with the zigbee bulbs as children like clicking switches repeatedly), simplicity and not taking too long to do.

And let's be honest, how often do you want to reset your smart lightbulb settings anyway?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 6, 2020

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

paperwind posted:

Even without the internet connection, Keurig added barcode scanning to their pods / machines to make sure you aren't being a filthy pirate and trying to use your own coffee in them ages ago.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Considering how much waste those things generate, I support any and all gouging measures to slow down consumption.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

If you have hereditary high cholesterol like I do and you drink multiple cups everyday, be aware that brewing methods without paper filters will let cafestol and kahweol through. They're terpenes that have been shown to increase serum cholesterol.

Fortunately I do not but wow - I had no idea. So even those reusable gold filters would be the same.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Private Speech posted:

They could have made the process quicker (ZigBee bulbs do it via a couple rapid on/off switches) but I imagine it's a tradeoff between making it accident- and child-proof (a particular problem with the zigbee bulbs as children like clicking switches repeatedly), simplicity and not taking too long to do.

It's this plus dealing with line dropouts and other power disturbances that looks just like someone flipping the power on and off to the processor. That's why there are repeated sequences and different rates. How pissed would you be if your lights flickered for a few seconds because of some utility wonkiness and then every bulb in your house reset?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

people that get them for home use truely are the worst

I feel that this fact needs emphasizing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Motronic posted:

Fortunately I do not but wow - I had no idea. So even those reusable gold filters would be the same.

Yes.

You can use them for non‐coffee brews, but I would not use them for coffee.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Mister Facetious posted:

Considering how much waste those things generate, I support any and all gouging measures to slow down consumption.

The thing is, the "pirate" Keurig stuff tended to be refillable pods that you could put your own coffee into and clean, so you end up with zero waste. Moving to requiring Keurig-brand pods only increased the waste of those things.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'd like to have smart lightbulbs for changing color temperature and dimming them somewhat at night. With regular bulbs/switches, it's just like, you can either have them at full white-rear end blast, or darkness.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

TacoHavoc posted:

It's this plus dealing with line dropouts and other power disturbances that looks just like someone flipping the power on and off to the processor. That's why there are repeated sequences and different rates. How pissed would you be if your lights flickered for a few seconds because of some utility wonkiness and then every bulb in your house reset?

I would be more pissed that I spent a bunch of money on a gimmick tbh

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

enki42 posted:

Even without the internet connection, Keurig added barcode scanning to their pods / machines to make sure you aren't being a filthy pirate and trying to use your own coffee in them ages ago.

nah, when the entire 2.0 thing blew up horribly they nixed the drm and got rid of it

when your rights management can be foiled by a literal piece of foil it was time to give up the game

enki42 posted:

The thing is, the "pirate" Keurig stuff tended to be refillable pods that you could put your own coffee into and clean, so you end up with zero waste. Moving to requiring Keurig-brand pods only increased the waste of those things.

eh there were some reusable ones, but there were also a ton of companies who basically made their own not-Keurig branded pods that were just as bad

PhazonLink posted:

people that get them for home use truely are the worst, but i can sort of see their utility for offices, hotel rooms/lobbys, waitin rooms.

the reason they have any sort of residential business is because they conquered the poo poo out of the business world by getting rid of the maligned office coffee pot

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mega Comrade posted:

Well, before LEDs got involved. LEDs are efficient and last longer.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The idea that light bulbs are a "finished" technology is completely absurd, as already pointed out. And out of all the "smart" tech, light bulbs are one of the most sensible ones to be smart. Being able to turn lights off and on remotely, getting usage statistics, getting end of life alerts, etc are all perfectly useful additions that aren't just your fridge pinging you to buy milk.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Papercut posted:

The idea that light bulbs are a "finished" technology is completely absurd, as already pointed out. And out of all the "smart" tech, light bulbs are one of the most sensible ones to be smart. Being able to turn lights off and on remotely, getting usage statistics, getting end of life alerts, etc are all perfectly useful additions that aren't just your fridge pinging you to buy milk.

How many of those uses need to be provided by something built into the bulb, though? Instead of decoupling it from the part that's gonna need replacement anyway

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Papercut posted:

You want smart switches not smart lightbulbs. Smart lightbulbs add a shitload of new failure states. Smart switches break into regular switches.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
It's all a system, whether you build it into the luminaire or the ballast/drivers or the controls. And even aside from "smart" features, the point still stands just in regards to lighting elements, illumination tech has been improving dramatically in our lifetimes.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What I want is something that sticks a serial bus over the power line rather than having to rely on wireless and have to connect to and deal with each one individually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What I want is something that sticks a serial bus over the power line rather than having to rely on wireless and have to connect to and deal with each one individually

you want IEEE 1901