Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Taima posted:

You can tell from the way the backend employee slammed in random digits its some placeholder sheit. Very typical.

Like I was saying last night, Amazon doesn’t like to cancel people’s orders. They are the absolute last retailer to do it, to the point where they quasi-regularly honor crazy price fuckups that get thrown on Slickdeals. The loophole is usually taken down really quickly but they also usually honor the orders that slip through, where most other places won’t.

This is a bit different but I’m still gonna say that the odds they’ll honor the preorder is significantly higher than any other retailer.

The one other interesting part is that the cards were up for preorder in the backend at all. It’s not like the system automatically does that. Unreleased products sometimes slip through but on amazon but they usually just say Not Available or notify me when available. Makes me wonder if it’s a hint some places will still do preorders before the 17th. But who knows.

I have both a 3080 and 3090 on ice as well so here’s hoping. The cool thing with amazon is you can always just refuse delivery and they process the refund automatically, no hassle. So we have a day or two after shipping before we have to even think about making an “official” refund and taking the poo poo to the post office. That give us time to see what we can secure, should we prefer a founders edition or whatever.

I am sure the retailer will be thrilled to sell you cards at twice the price. Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You’ve seemed very upset lately sir, hope all is well.

That’s not the case at all but I don’t get the impression that matters to you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Taima posted:

You’ve seemed very upset lately sir, hope all is well.

That’s not the case at all but I don’t get the impression that matters to you.

So this was a preorder that wasn’t the 1200 bucks for a 3080?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It’s a first party Amazon sold and curated pre-listing that got made public accidentally with a placeholder price. I explained everything in my post that you quoted. No one is getting stuck with anything. I’m not interested in discussing further, however I do truly hope you’re doing well.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I really want to see reviews come out and some side-by-side comparisons of Turing cards versus Ampere cards. Like, real tests, not the weird mostly meaningless charts Nvidia has put out so far. Just the axis labeling on the release charts makes my brain itch.

From where I'm at I don't see doing another GPU upgrade for a while, like maybe next summer. Since I already have a 2070 Super, play at 1440p, and don't care if my framerate is slightly slower than the speed of light, I'm thinking I won't have much of a compelling reason to update.

It seems to me Nvidia has been surprisingly supportive of older cards and newer tech, like enabling RT on Pascal cards (even if it generally was not feasible). It seems within the realm of possibility that after releasing Ampere they'll release drivers which actually increase Turing performance, too, even if that's not the main intent.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, we all want to see the real reviews. Too bad it doesn't sound like they're coming out in time to really be able to use them to decide what to get out of the first wave of cards.

I think you're right that, at least for games supporting DLSS and RTX, Turing will have a longer life than we expected.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

I think you're right that, at least for games supporting DLSS and RTX, Turing will have a longer life than we expected.

turing also has the full dx12 ultimate feature set, which has been neglected so far but should start seeing use as games begin to target to new consoles

there's some nice performance wins to be had there

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

repiv posted:

turing also has the full dx12 ultimate feature set, which has been neglected so far but should start seeing use as games begin to target to new consoles

there's some nice performance wins to be had there

I think the first game to demonstrate these performance gains is Minecraft RTX beta. It recently got upgraded to DXR 1.1 support and the performance gains are massive, up to like 50% from what I've seen on my card. It's also really buggy and crashing a lot now, but that's why it's a beta.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The biggest game release of the year has DLSS support and as long as it’s easy to implement I have no doubt other large and smaller titles are gonna support it going forward.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

After buying a 3080 I am gonna be so irked when one of my 400 retro shooters that run @ 300fps won't allow me to use DLSS.

What is there even to talk about? With the supported cards performance at the only sane PC resolution - 1440p, the only reason you need DLSS is because RTX tanks your framerate and what dev is going to implement raytracing without DLSS ?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 6, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Qmass posted:

After buying a 3080 I am gonna be so irked when one of my 400 retro shooters that run @ 300fps won't allow me to use DLSS.

as if there won't be gamers training networks for those games too

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1300887187886538752?s=20

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

physics is a bitch ain't it

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
So you can get much better performance per watt by power-limiting the card. The problem with that is that you're leaving some performance on the table; performance you paid for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Looking forward to buying a cheap 3080 when the 4000 series launches and there are maybe 1-2 games finally out that need it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ijyt posted:

Looking forward to buying a cheap 3080 when the 4000 series launches and there are maybe 1-2 games finally out that need it.

CP 2077 comes out this year though :confused:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

im gonna lmao if CP2077 ends up being bottlenecked by CPU and you need a high-freq Intel CPU + any middling GPU to get it running well

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

im gonna lmao if CP2077 ends up being bottlenecked by CPU and you need a high-freq Intel CPU + any middling GPU to get it running well

NGL that would be funny.

I doubt that is gonna happen but I'd just have to shake my head and laugh at it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They have to get the game logic to run on consoles with decade-old laptop jaguar CPUs, I think overall CPU usage will be a bit more soft than most are expecting. Perhaps there may be an option for more NPCs in the world and such for those with beefier systems.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

ijyt posted:

In a year or two there will be games the 3080 will struggle to run at 4k60. Especially with RT enabled.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
It's almost as if GPU tech and Game engine tech is constantly moving forward and there will always be new things.

This is expected and known, it's not gonna be a shock to anybody.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

shrike82 posted:

I mean mext gen consoles have a slower version of a 3700x, they'd have to be outright incompetent to make the game require nothing less than a 10900k or overcloxked 10600k to be worth a poo poo.

Which isn't impossible but would be real wierd.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mr. Neutron posted:

In a year or two there will be games the 3080 will struggle to run at 4k60. Especially with RT enabled.

RDR2 will likely struggle today, as will cp2077 I imagine.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

RDR2 will likely struggle today, as will cp2077 I imagine.

I can't find it right now but there is a 3080 bench with RDR2 and it just about averages 4K60 on max settings. That's honestly not bad all things considered; the game is the most demanding on the market. My 1080ti can only do medium at 1440p.

edit: it wasn't a bench, it was an nvidia rep on reddit explaining why the 3080 has 10GB of memory, he said that despite that amount it still runs games such as RDR2 at 4K from 60 to 100fps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ilhao8/nvidia_rtx_30series_you_asked_we_answered/

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 6, 2020

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I can't find it right now but there is a 3080 bench with RDR2 and it just about averages 4K60 on max settings. That's honestly not bad all things considered; the game is the most demanding on the market. My 1080ti can only do medium at 1440p.

edit: it wasn't a bench, it was an nvidia rep on reddit explaining why the 3080 has 10GB of memory, he said that despite that amount it still runs games such as RDR2 at 4K from 60 to 100fps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ilhao8/nvidia_rtx_30series_you_asked_we_answered/

I believe those benches and that person are referring to the highest preset, rather than manually setting every option to maximum which is higher still.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

FS2020 on a 2080 Ti runs at 35FPS at 4K ultra so that's going to be the game to watch

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

shrike82 posted:

FS2020 on a 2080 Ti runs at 35FPS at 4K ultra so that's going to be the game to watch

Flight sims by nature can get away with 30 FPS. That level of performance with current hardware was probably targetted.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

RDR2 Maxed 4k@60 sounds pretty incredible for $700, thats cool(hot!!) as heck

that will look and play real nice at 1440

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

The issue with FS2020 is not the gpu but that the game runs on DX11 and is super CPU bound

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's still a decent performance delta between different cards at a given resolution, and a delta between a single card across resolutions

i mean the point of getting a beefy GPU is to be able to brute force games that are poorly optimized

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Scarecow posted:

The issue with FS2020 is not the gpu but that the game runs on DX11 and is super CPU bound

Wait, why the rear end does FS2020 run on DX11?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably a long development cycle?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Probably a long development cycle?

And Microsoft probably didn't expect it to blow up as much as it has so why waste resources on a sim

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

taqueso posted:

as if there won't be gamers training networks for those games too

why would they do that? DLSS2 doesn’t need per-game networks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The game is based on the technology of the previous game.

They've said that at some point, they'll replace the renderer with a DX12 one. That's when they'll be able to look into DXR features.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i hope the original just has the mom saying "your mom"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That thing looks like it's been saved in paint thousands of times

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That thing looks like it's been saved in paint thousands of times

It doesn't support DLSS yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
RTX 3070, RTX 3080, & RTX 3090 listings are up on BestBuy with Notify Me options.