Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It feels really bad to have a line of like 10 kings, to rule justly and well for nearly 200 years, and have it snatched from you by some lovely brother and then be down to a single county.

I almost wish my line had just ended. RIP Nubia. My lovely brother is running it into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Two Beans posted:

Meet my mutant-modded immortal possessed evil albino royal family.

Big guy has also founded a death-sex cult with 16 doctrines crammed in there, swapping all the virtue and sin traits. I'm enjoying the third installment of this "sandbox to gently caress with medieval europe" series. I've even figured out how to mod in more nicknames.
Blood Meridian reenactment in CK3

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Decided to grab this yesterday. I fussed around with CK2 a little bit and admittedly never figured out what the gently caress I was doing.

so I started in Ireland in 867 with the small goals of becoming lord of Britannia :v:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
nvm. i wont repost this till tmrw. ill figure it out

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 6, 2020

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Xerophyte posted:

Daura in 867

You're the only female ruler in the region, but you get an early decision to switch to female-preference inheritance. Sorority Thunderbowl is what happens if you play for long enough to get this sort of lovely succession split:

(there's another kingdom title on a niece)
I tried this and she just produced one son after the other. Not a single daughter in all her life :allears:

queef anxiety posted:

The more I think about it the more I realise just how much is missing from the UI and why i found it so jarring. No ledgers/title histories, saving filters, console = debug mode which is awful for many reasons, portrait borders, not being able to raise troops seperately etc. I assume missing cultures will be added in DLC down the line.
You can raise troops separately. Select a rally point and "raise local troops". And since you can put a whole lot of rally points all over your realm, you can raise parts of your troops in any corner of your empire as needed.

Swedish Horror posted:

There are a lot of weirdly hidden things in this game.

Where the gently caress is that screen hidden? I though appointing as wards was enough, but that never allowed me to choose the education.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 6, 2020

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nektu posted:

Where the gently caress is that screen hidden? I though appointing as wards was enough, but that never allowed me to choose the education.

It's shown in the screenshot. Tiny button bottom left of the kid's portrait.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

Page up/down.

Thanks

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

/posh voice 1213AD
The Holy African Empire stretches from the coastal floodplains of Takrur to the mountainous deserts of Darfur, ruled by the supreme matriarch of the reformed Bori faith - the unparalleled genius Djeneba II "The Foolish".
A hundred years after implementing fuedalism over the tribes her strength is but a tenth of what it once was but new laws of succession now ensure at last the empire will endure beyond the death of its empress.
The faith has spread wide, remnants of Djeneba II's father, Salman II's campaign of kidnap and forced conversions. A master of intrigue and the Holy African Empire's second male ruler, his idosyncratic approach to proselytising may have only resulted in one lasting Bori state, the East African kingdom of Damot, but it shattered the Byzantines.

Will the Holy African Empire attempt to reclaim north africa from Matriarch Nadia, empress of all the muslims of western europe and sweden, or take the horn of Africa from the christians?
Find out on the next exciting episode of Daura thunderbowl.

Skypie posted:

Decided to grab this yesterday. I fussed around with CK2 a little bit and admittedly never figured out what the gently caress I was doing.

so I started in Ireland in 867 with the small goals of becoming lord of Britannia :v:

good luck, if your dynasty can endure The Viking Years and bend the knee and convert to whoever is the big dog you have a good shot at it as long as nothing Unlucky happens, what could possibly go wrong

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Has anyone had any success losing weight? My emperor became obese, and I took the decision to lose weight, but nothing has happened since other than making my stress harder to manage.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

under which menu can i find these fullbody character pictures?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Is there a way to invite people other than Court Physician/Champions to your court? I get that luck of the draw is a thing and I can't expect everyone to be 15+ at the start, but I'd like a way for me to be able to pay for that option. The first thing I do every game I start is invite Champions to replace all the 8 and 9 and even lower Prowess champions. It makes a huge difference.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Gesadt posted:

under which menu can i find these fullbody character pictures?

I think it's just the main menu when you load up the game? That shows your most recent main character and close family members.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Armani Glasses posted:

I think it's just the main menu when you load up the game? That shows your most recent main character and close family members.

doh! /slaps forehead

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I really love the family's clothes. I'm going to have to play every culture just to see them all.

Not so keen on wars, but tgey could be much less painful if there were a 'follow that other army' command.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

good luck, if your dynasty can endure The Viking Years and bend the knee and convert to whoever is the big dog you have a good shot at it as long as nothing Unlucky happens, what could possibly go wrong

I got close in CK2 once but time ran out while I was warring/scheming my way across England.

Truthfully, I still have no idea what I'm doing in these games, but I'll never forget in CK2 when attempting this that I had this insanely terrifying, pious crusader queen who conquered the remainder of Ireland, most of Scotland, acquired a small plot of land in the Middle East, and fended off multiple illnesses to live to be like 85 before dying of old age

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

If he doesn't die from his illness, I'm gonna romance the poo poo out of the pope and get all the claims I can from him.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
So I started as Alfred chilling in Dorset and I've worked up to being the Petty King of like 4 Duchies in England as his son. I'm getting on a bit (early 50s) and have 3 daughters. I really, really want to fulfill the conditions that allow me to create the title of King of Ye Olde Englande before I die to stop all my poo poo getting split so bad, but in order to do that I need to conquer 6 more counties. Most of the odd ones around me are basically Denmark/Sweden owned and impossible, so I want to conquer the Petty King of Mercia and all his good stuff because he is weak with no allies, but I have no Casus Belli other than a single random county.

What is the best way to conjure up a whole claim on his Duchy? Or do I have to piecemeal claim county by county? I feel like I won't live long enough with county by county because of all the Truces. I can't excommunicate him because he's a goody-two-shoes.

P.S. Is there any way to see the whole order on who is the next Dynastic Head? I want to create a Cadet Branch, but it says I'm not even 3rd in line to a title of the Head (even though I should be??). I'm literally the only relevant person in the entire House, so I'm feeling being chumped by one of my 1 county vassals having the head, and her sister being next-in-line.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
What do all these glowing purple borders mean in my realm?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What do all these glowing purple borders mean in my realm?

Is it vassals of yours at war with one another? I've seen a similar thing playing the HRE where parts of my empire turn a different shade of grey, and that's what it ended up being.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Reveilled posted:

Has anyone had any success losing weight? My emperor became obese, and I took the decision to lose weight, but nothing has happened since other than making my stress harder to manage.

I've had multiple obese characters (the piety feasts will do that) and I've never, ever successfully lost the trait. I've even had one guy get the Athletic perk and stay obese.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Yeah I think purple is for wars between vassals.

Jeza posted:

What is the best way to conjure up a whole claim on his Duchy? Or do I have to piecemeal claim county by county? I feel like I won't live long enough with county by county because of all the Truces. I can't excommunicate him because he's a goody-two-shoes.

If you have a good bishop there's a chance of fabricating a claim on the entire duchy (I think you might need to fabricate on the capital?). Otherwise, murdering the ruler ends the truce and might partition the duchy, , and your chancellor also has a rolling chance of ending truces early if you have them set to foreign relations. Expanding quickly as a feudal ruler is difficult generally though if you only have one target and aren't using holy wars.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Stokes posted:

Is there a way to invite people other than Court Physician/Champions to your court? I get that luck of the draw is a thing and I can't expect everyone to be 15+ at the start, but I'd like a way for me to be able to pay for that option. The first thing I do every game I start is invite Champions to replace all the 8 and 9 and even lower Prowess champions. It makes a huge difference.

I'm pretty sure you can still invite anyone, but most people not summoned by one of those decisions (or Invite Claimants) or brought to your court by marriage, or arriving at your court while already wandering and unattached, simply won't come due to a huge base reluctance penalty that it's tricky to overcome - it's a deliberate change from CK2 in order to make it harder to assemble super-courts, I gather.

(it's probably still worth it for PDS to bring back the "will join court" filter on character search, but then again they should ALSO bring back save slots for filter patterns and game rules sets while they're at it)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

siggy2021 posted:

Is it vassals of yours at war with one another? I've seen a similar thing playing the HRE where parts of my empire turn a different shade of grey, and that's what it ended up being.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I hadn't realized how weird the borders of some of my constituent kingdoms had gotten.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

random things things i have learned

develop your main county!! i forgot to for at least 300 years
also make sure it has more than 2 areas :(

spouses are insanely powerful if you get them to help you on the council page, mainly high diplomacy for vassal opinion, steward for domain size and intrigue for plot power

fabricate hook on spouse > abduct on ruler = extremely high chance to win a war or convert a ruler for free

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The method of getting new courtiers to your court has been replaced by the "guest" system. Check your guest list often, and you will regularly find pretty great statted courtiers there that will join you for a pretty penny. Especially if you take the dynasty skill that gives you better guests.

Alternatively, you can just marry them to one of your relatives matrilineally, and they'll come and squat at your place.

Edit: Both methods are great ways of getting more champions too.

Edit2: Oh yeah! Also see if some of your prisoners are willing to join you. If they are the same culture/religion, it's not even that hard to convince them.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 6, 2020

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Communist Thoughts posted:

spouses are insanely powerful if you get them to help you on the council page, mainly high diplomacy for vassal opinion, steward for domain size and intrigue for plot power

Speaking of which, sometimes I get a 'no spouse available to sit on the council' message, and it seems like my spouse has wandered off to somewhere else? Is there any way to get them back? I married someone from like a thousand miles away and while a subsequent series of babies implies that she came to my lands, after a few years she ended up back in wherever and didn't come back.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Also jesus christ these stupid wars I keep getting dragged into.

This is me. You can see Gardariki down there. It's smaller than me by a factor of four. We're at war. Over what, you ask?

This tiny piece of border-gore down on the other side of the continent that I didn't even know I had. Can't my lovely vassals fight these wars on their own for a change?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

anyone know how to expand what i get left with after partition? even now its still just a county basically and a bad one lol

do i just need high partition?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The perk in the learning lifestyle to buy claims for piety is also a good way to take a giant bite out of a country if you are feudal.

It’s how I’m planning on taking half of England before my ruler dies since the current king of England is both super weak AND excommunicated. :getin:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Speaking of which, sometimes I get a 'no spouse available to sit on the council' message, and it seems like my spouse has wandered off to somewhere else? Is there any way to get them back? I married someone from like a thousand miles away and while a subsequent series of babies implies that she came to my lands, after a few years she ended up back in wherever and didn't come back.

Your spouse will leave your court if they inherit a landed title elsewhere or if they're on the run from The Law (they escape an imprisonment attempt by you or your boss). Not sure if there are other cases.

[E:]

Broken Cog posted:

Alternatively, you can just marry them to one of your relatives matrilineally, and they'll come and squat at your place.

Huh, I never considered that for some reason. I've been kidnapping and recruiting high-prowess heathens for my Super Hetaeria Squad, but clearly I should be using my excess aunts to seduce the impressionable young christian knights over too. Gives me a reason to prune some useless aunt husbands, too...

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 6, 2020

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Stopped one of my vassals beating the poo poo out of a lowborn for suggesting a military strategy, made the lowborn a kickass knight which gave me a loyalty strong hook and now we are best Friends too. Was not expecting some feelgood fuzzies from a grand strategy game.

Also my spy masters keep on getting themselves assassinated, if you can't uncover a plot against yourself you don't deserve to be my spy master tbh

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Welp my Toledo->Andalusia game is taking a turn for the worse as the Almoravids have begun muscling in on me just as i was fighting a glorious jihad against unified Castille.

My ruler had both compassionate and vengeful for some reason so a bunch of decisions gave him stress no matter which choice was picked. He kept the stress at bay by constantly getting blazed as gently caress on hash brownies.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
Has anyone encountered an issue where you can't get the game to load anymore? I've tried reinstall, deleting all excess folders in Documents and Steam etc, firewall exceptions and so on. Gets to the first loading splash then crashes immediately every time at "initialising game". Was working fine yesterday, now its just refusing to co-operate entirely.

Edit - Okay now it won't even get past the launcher, just a little red exclamation that says "Launching the game failed".

Armani Glasses fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 6, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

My wife inherited a title in bumfuck nowhere, so she moved out there and now she's no longer at my court or on my council. How do I fix this?

edit: I see I'm not the only one with this problem.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 6, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My wife inherited a title in bumfuck nowhere, so she moved out there and now she's no longer at my court or on my council. How do I fix this?

Revoke the title if internal, claim and conquer if external, entice someone else to claim and conquer if playing 5D chess.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Succession still seems to be broken. I have five sons.

Son 1 (my heir) is inheriting one of my duchies and 1 of my counties.

Son 2 is inheriting 2 duchies and 1 county.

Son 3 is inheriting 3 duchies and no counties(?).

Sons 4 and 5 are both inheriting 2 counties (which belong to my main duchy title)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

does the abduct scheme keep bugging out for anyone else? It goes to the last stage, i click go and then it gets stuck forever. can't cancel it either

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Stokes posted:

You can still use the search tool to browse all characters, and invite them to your court via interaction. Its the magnifying class in the lower right.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nektu posted:

You can still use the search tool to browse all characters, and invite them to your court via interaction. Its the magnifying class in the lower right.

You can, but it's a lot harder to get courtiers to just up and move to your place now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Playing as Hålogoland in the 876 start has been great fun, spent the first generation raiding everything and building up the capital province and the second aiming at creating Norway. Poor Haraldr Bårdsson came down with leprosy at 50, had his leg chopped off by his very helpful physician, and managed to survive until 74. Thirty seven days before sieging down the last castle of a war that would give the 15th holding required to create the kingdom of Norway he finally succumbed, splintering his lands between five sons. I don’t know who my primary heir murdered before ascending the much smaller than I hoped throne but everyone hates him and only his highly talented daughter as spymaster is keeping him ahead of the constant plots on his life. 10/10 would make many mistakes again.

I know this has been asked a few times but I didn’t see an answer, if I survive to make it to transition to a feudal government, all the province improvements get deleted correct? Does upgrading the main fort also get knocked down to the base level as well? Basically is there anything worth building province wise before settling down or should I build a big war chest to build up after I change over?