Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MrBillyVegas/status/1301565980418637824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL! EA: We had one job, and that was far far too much for us.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
But the Sea Hacks are my favourite whateverball team!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cardiovorax posted:

But the Sea Hacks are my favourite whateverball team!

I too enjoy *looks at smudged writing on hand* spurts.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dareon posted:

I too enjoy *looks at smudged writing on hand* spurts.

:cumpolice:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They should release patches to fix the name but each patch just makes it worse. Seehacks, Seecacks, C-cacks, CPAPs

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oh come on, the seawacks are one of the more popular teams in the league

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, everyone loves the Sea Snacks. They get all the good sponsoring contracts.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Seattle's mascot according to EA:

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/Chaotic_Defiler/status/1301782867580792832

There's a debate going on as to whether this is an accessibility option that's gotten misplaced, or a placeholder dialogue line that was missed

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

RandomFerret posted:

Seattle's mascot according to EA:

If I could bring.... Propane to his wooooorld.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Technocrat posted:

There's a debate going on as to whether this is an accessibility option that's gotten misplaced, or a placeholder dialogue line that was missed

The Agreeable Grunt is my new OC do not steal.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBmoQSHfO2U

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Technocrat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aoWVRhgEqI

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Technocrat posted:

The closed captioning is just really weird. It feels like the script was just copy pasted for the subtitles.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

RatHat posted:

The closed captioning is just really weird. It feels like the script was just copy pasted for the subtitles.

That's usually what you get.
Sometimes it's not even the current version of the script.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Post poste posted:

:hmmyes:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Post poste posted:

I've been playing Street Fighter V recently, ending up with Seth as my main. He has one entrance quote, and the subtitles VERY CLEARLY don't match up. The subtitle says 'Doll unit zero now operational', but the actual line is 'Doll unit zero online'.

I also remember Sonic Heroes having a hilarious amount of these.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sonic Heroes (and Secret Rings) had a bunch of bad translation stuff because they didn't check for plurality, so you get "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" (there's one of them) and "You can get the pearl" (you get a lot of them).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sonic Heroes (and Secret Rings) had a bunch of bad translation stuff because they didn't check for plurality, so you get "Look at all those Eggman's robots!" (there's one of them) and "You can get the pearl" (you get a lot of them).

LMAO my face dumb glitch was how the mouths didn't match the dialogue in ANY language in Sonic adventure 1 & 2

And the speech was just so stilted sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbiemUjFTU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wasabi the J posted:

LMAO my face dumb glitch was how the mouths didn't match the dialogue in ANY language in Sonic adventure 1 & 2

*extreme mouth movements*

"oh no."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Wasabi the J posted:

If I remember correctly, one of the most famous speech bugs in Sonic Adventure 2 actually only came about in the porting process from Dreamcast to Gamecube. In the cutscene before Sonic and Shadow have their first fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ockHHFfZ3b8

From what I've heard, Sonic doesn't step on Shadow's line in the original Dreamcast version. But in the Gamecube version, and all the later ports based on it, the cutscene runs at a different enough speed that lines happen on top of each other. It also happens in their first meeting, and a couple other scenes.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kirbysuperstar posted:

*extreme mouth movements*

"oh no."

I don't think I'll ever get over my least favorite scene in Robot Alchemic Drive. The main character has a giant robot land practically on him, crushing the convenience store he was about to enter and sending him flying. The dialogue box has him going "Aaaaaaaah!" The voice actor goes "Ah?"

Not a bug, just bad voice acting. The only thing even close to a bug that I can remember in that game was how it was easier to beat the last boss by running your little human pilot alongside it and throwing grenades at its feet than it was to actually get in a giant robot punch-up with it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No, it definitely happens in the dreamcast version. I never had a gamecube, but I played it on the dreamcast enough times to have "You're not even good enough to be my If'LLaMkAeKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS" ingrained in my memory

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dareon posted:

I don't think I'll ever get over my least favorite scene in Robot Alchemic Drive. The main character has a giant robot land practically on him, crushing the convenience store he was about to enter and sending him flying. The dialogue box has him going "Aaaaaaaah!" The voice actor goes "Ah?"

Not a bug, just bad voice acting. The only thing even close to a bug that I can remember in that game was how it was easier to beat the last boss by running your little human pilot alongside it and throwing grenades at its feet than it was to actually get in a giant robot punch-up with it.

it was and still is common for voice actors on less-polished games to just be given lists of context-free lines of dialogue to say. no idea what the character is like other than a brief summary when they were hired, no idea what would be happening to the character or the world at the time the line was said, and certainly not even any way to hear what's being said by the other people in the conversation

dude probably got to like line #127 out of 400, saw only "ahh", and gave it his best shot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

These? Seem to be energy resources. You must recover all the energy immediately, Muhg-.....Mega Man!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mega Man Legends has surprisingly good voice acting for the time, but a later revision/printing of the game has a bug where the audio desyncs badly from the video.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I think it's been posted in here before but in Oblivion they left in bits of dialog that the VA's messed up so when you talk to a few of them they repeat entire lines. One of the women even apologizes for messing up and re-read her line.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

I think it's been posted in here before but in Oblivion they left in bits of dialog that the VA's messed up so when you talk to a few of them they repeat entire lines. One of the women even apologizes for messing up and re-read her line.

I read that the Oblivion voice acting script had been sorted to put the lines in alphabetical order, so noone had any idea what their lines were in response to.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

I read that the Oblivion voice acting script had been sorted to put the lines in alphabetical order, so noone had any idea what their lines were in response to.

That's... the dumbest way I could think of to do that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
From an interview with Mark Lampert:

quote:

“There's also a picture I have somewhere, like a little behind-the-scenes making of sort of thing, and it's a shot of a script which, I'd probably just come from Kinkos, like three in the morning, to print and put into binders and all this kind of thing. And we didn't have a good way to - at the time, to sort by, ‘These lines go good with this quest; these lines go with this quest.’ But in that picture with that script, if you look at it closely, you'll notice the lines are all alphabetical sorted. It was one of those things I just didn't think of at the time while putting the scripts together

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

That is hilarious. I'm sure the quest system is a highly scrutinized and controlled chunk of code, making sure each line of dialog is connected properly.

And then for the voice actors they just used PRINT(ALL).sort(ASCENDING).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

lord funk posted:

That is hilarious. I'm sure the quest system is a highly scrutinized and controlled chunk of code, making sure each line of dialog is connected properly.

And then for the voice actors they just used PRINT(ALL).sort(ASCENDING).

big assumption for a Bethesda game

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
There is so much wrong with oblivion voice acting, starting with the insane paucity of VAs

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

lord funk posted:

That's... the dumbest way I could think of to do that.

It's how Interplay did the scripts for actors for their first Talkie Star Trek game. Probably more understandable for a very early talkie game than for a 2005 game though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fathis Munk posted:

There is so much wrong with oblivion voice acting, starting with the insane paucity of VAs

They quite literally used one voice actor for each race/sex combination.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

Didn’t they absolutely destroy their VA budget with Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart, leaving them with basically interns for the rest of the VA?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

full va is a scourge on dialogue-heavy rpgs

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I might have enjoyed Skyrim if it had more Wes Johnson in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic