Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Well I just finished Blasphemous for the first time going through blind. I don't think I've cleared a metroidvania without touching a guide once during my first playthrough since Super Metroid when I was a kid. When I finished Super Metroid the first time I didn't find the Spring Ball. Similarly with Blasphemous I beat it without finding whatever will let you interact with the tree root patches. I'm pretty sure I missed a sizeable chunk of this game. Now I'm off to find what I missed!

Edit: 81.21% on my file! Is this game's clear percentage 100% or a higher value?

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hedrigall posted:

Spoiler question about Origami King:

Holy poo poo Bob-omb’s death. That’s... very dark for a Nintendo game. Is he the first ally character to permanently die in a Mario game?

Yep. Anyone on the heroes' side who even died in a previous Mario game got brought back somehow.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Didn't the Japanese manual state that every single block in the first mario game was actually a person you were killing when you smashed them?

No, normal blocks were just normal ones. The ones that gave you power ups or coins were the transformed ones, and that was how they rewarded you for freeing them. (Ah, excuse plots.)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I have a Game Voucher to burn, thought I'd make investment for the future and get a thousand-hour JRPG. Preferably something I can play mostly handheld and in short bursts every now and then. Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon Quest XI, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, or something else?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waltzing Along posted:

SM3dW is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiB8P-qrBAg

If you don't get it by the end of this video, then it's not for you. I mean, just watch the first level. Game owns.

Was just skipping around randomly through the video and there was one part where Mario tossed a fireball at a pipe and it went down through the pipe and came out the other end to kill a goomba. Nice touch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Forktoss posted:

I have a Game Voucher to burn, thought I'd make investment for the future and get a thousand-hour JRPG. Preferably something I can play mostly handheld and in short bursts every now and then. Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon Quest XI, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, or something else?

Xenoblade and its obscene quantities of sidequests are exactly what you want

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Forktoss posted:

DQ11 is the best RPG of this generation

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you don't buy Dragon Quest XI, you are stupid. I know, that's insulting, but it's also the truth.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lobok posted:

Was just skipping around randomly through the video and there was one part where Mario tossed a fireball at a pipe and it went down through the pipe and came out the other end to kill a goomba. Nice touch.

And because the 3dw style is in Mario Maker 2, that functionality follows over to that, too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

clear pipes own, Alpharad uses them for all sorts of incredibly mean things in his MM2 levels

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wildtortilla posted:

Well I just finished Blasphemous for the first time going through blind. I don't think I've cleared a metroidvania without touching a guide once during my first playthrough since Super Metroid when I was a kid. When I finished Super Metroid the first time I didn't find the Spring Ball. Similarly with Blasphemous I beat it without finding whatever will let you interact with the tree root patches. I'm pretty sure I missed a sizeable chunk of this game. Now I'm off to find what I missed!

Edit: 81.21% on my file! Is this game's clear percentage 100% or a higher value?

100%

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I got Blasphemous because of the gushing in this thread and I think I'm done before the 2 hour mark. Compared to Dark Souls, dying all the time was still fun and made me laugh, dying in this game just makes me angry. I can't imagine how bad the platforming was before the updates.
Compared to Dead Cells or Hollow Knight, I feel like a sloth. Google is telling me that upgrades aren't going to change that very much. Kinda makes me wish that more games would follow Celeste's difficulty options, because I really like the look and mood of it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

DQ11 is the best RPG of this generation

RandomFerret posted:

If you don't buy Dragon Quest XI, you are stupid. I know, that's insulting, but it's also the truth.

Even though I love Xenoblade I have to agree with these posters

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DQ11 is ok

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

DQ11 is ok

I gave up about 50 hours in. Just wasn’t clicking for me I guess.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I played the DQ11 demo all the way to the end and I really liked it but for some reason never pulled the trigger on the full game. I keep waiting for it to go on sale and it’s never on sale.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dragon quest is cozy and safe.

Though cozy and safe can just be boring so you are flipping a coin

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DQ11 is safe but it's never boring

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I thought the combat was pretty boring for most of the game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I turned the combat off

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

This but Breath of the Wild for me, and the convenience of the Switch in general.

Same, I really dislike Real is Brown because Gritty and Mature type games. It makes the world more boring to explore imo.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Dragon Quest XI is how you keep classic JRPGs alive in the modern era. But I can 100% see why people could find it boring. I did a lot of the side stuff in part 1 and 2. But couldn't be assed to do the side end-game stuff.

They could do a little to spice up and/or speed up combat. But the ability to make some characters auto-battle helps it along a bit.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 6, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean there are more JRPGs now than any time in the 90s.

That fact DQ is still alive while being functionally the same is low key incredible

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean there are more JRPGs now than any time in the 90s.

That fact DQ is still alive while being functionally the same is low key incredible

Yes, but a lot are not turned based or have chosen to engage in significantly more complex turn based battle systems.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Persona/SMT imo have really figured out how to make good turn based combat that is engaging during battle and in the setup phase fusing demons

Final Fantasy gave up on turn based. They’re action RPGs now and that’s fine

DQ is like, literally the same battle system forever which honestly is admirable in some way

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

PeePot posted:

I got Blasphemous because of the gushing in this thread and I think I'm done before the 2 hour mark. Compared to Dark Souls, dying all the time was still fun and made me laugh, dying in this game just makes me angry. I can't imagine how bad the platforming was before the updates.
Compared to Dead Cells or Hollow Knight, I feel like a sloth. Google is telling me that upgrades aren't going to change that very much. Kinda makes me wish that more games would follow Celeste's difficulty options, because I really like the look and mood of it.

I enjoyed Blasphemous more than Hollow Knight. The deaths in this game are fine. There's really no risk of losing progress and you shouldn't ever be far from your Guilt unless you're not checking in at shrines as you find them.

The longest run to a boss is roughly 10 seconds and that's only while you wait for an elevator to get you while you're 100% safe.

Of all the games that make you drop something on death Blasphemous is quite benign. All that happens is you lose some of your mama bar, which is rarely a required resource.

Also you get a dash and dash attack that, while not the same as a movement speed increase, makes traversing the game much faster.

Maybe you were tired or in a bad mood when you played it, cause when I first played the demo it was after a long dumb day of work and I was exhausted. I got really grumpy at the game and gave up on it, citing the same reasons you did. I'm glad I tried it again when I was in a better mood.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not bored necessarily with Dragon's Dogma but I'm starting to kind of want it to finish. It's a good game!, but it's flaws are starting to weigh on me.

The map design is really bad since you end up re-treading the same passages dozens of times with silly mookish enemies, and sure you can sprint through everything, but make sure you have enough stamina potions to make it through. Or you do use fast travel, which does end up trivializing a bit of the game as you just warp to objectives back and forth.

The combat's the most fun thing in the game, and I wouldn't call it stale at all. I've maxed three of the vocations and just started sorcerer, after which I'll bounce over to something else, but the enemy types and AI isn't as varied as your fighting styles. The Quests, either are very obviously solved when given objective markers, or incomprehensible when you've got nothing to go on.

I'm level 50, and just on the cusp of returning a ring to the Duke. Just how much more is there to do? I've given up doing every notice board quest as of a long time now, though I still do sidequests when I find them, which isn't often. I'll either finish when I've maxed out most of the vocations or when I've beaten the game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I recommend wrapping up the main game. I forget how much more you have to go. And then dive into Bitter lack Isle. It's a huge dungeon diving experience that is super good.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I tried to play one of the danganropa games. Folks seem to agree that they're "well-written" but keep in mind that's "for anime" and/or "for a video game." They're still coming in way below even generic genre fiction. If ya like it more power to you, of course. But I had my expectations out of whack

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t think that’s what people mean, I don’t think people outside this forum use that divide

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Achmed Jones posted:

I tried to play one of the danganropa games. Folks seem to agree that they're "well-written" but keep in mind that's "for anime" and/or "for a video game." They're still coming in way below even generic genre fiction. If ya like it more power to you, of course. But I had my expectations out of whack

They're like the Phoenix Wright games if the trials were more involved and the cases more ridiculous

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Achmed Jones posted:

Nah they're good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

That's an awfully snooty attitude

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I respect everyone's opinions, except the ones I disagree with.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm not bored necessarily with Dragon's Dogma but I'm starting to kind of want it to finish. It's a good game!, but it's flaws are starting to weigh on me.

The map design is really bad since you end up re-treading the same passages dozens of times with silly mookish enemies, and sure you can sprint through everything, but make sure you have enough stamina potions to make it through. Or you do use fast travel, which does end up trivializing a bit of the game as you just warp to objectives back and forth.

The combat's the most fun thing in the game, and I wouldn't call it stale at all. I've maxed three of the vocations and just started sorcerer, after which I'll bounce over to something else, but the enemy types and AI isn't as varied as your fighting styles. The Quests, either are very obviously solved when given objective markers, or incomprehensible when you've got nothing to go on.

I'm level 50, and just on the cusp of returning a ring to the Duke. Just how much more is there to do? I've given up doing every notice board quest as of a long time now, though I still do sidequests when I find them, which isn't often. I'll either finish when I've maxed out most of the vocations or when I've beaten the game.

Go to bitterblack isle before stopping at least. It's the DLC, really different and very fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only good thing about those games is the meltdown the paywall caused because tumblr couldn't read the lp anymore.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona/SMT imo have really figured out how to make good turn based combat that is engaging during battle and in the setup phase fusing demons

Final Fantasy gave up on turn based. They’re action RPGs now and that’s fine

DQ is like, literally the same battle system forever which honestly is admirable in some way

I'm surprised more turn based JRPGs haven't followed Bravely Default in letting you adjust the encounter rate and battle speed. It made grinding to max very pleasant.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It didn't need re-kindling in my case but Breath of the Wild was the revolutionary game for me. Odyssey didn't do much for me, even if it's undeniably good, and I probably enjoyed 3D Land more, with my only complaint being it felt easy, which is understandable. I'm pretty confident I'll get all the Mario games coming out nonetheless, even if I'll admit I much prefer the 2D games (which is probably why I should just by NSMBU, but that... feels wrong).

I got New Super Mario Bros U a couple months ago, and honestly I'm underwhelmed. The game is uninspired, to such an extent that even the secret coins aren't very surprising. Nintendo really needs to shake things up and do something ambitious instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In the next New Super Mario Bros. game, Mario should get breast cancer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DorianGravy posted:

I got New Super Mario Bros U a couple months ago, and honestly I'm underwhelmed. The game is uninspired, to such an extent that even the secret coins aren't very surprising. Nintendo really needs to shake things up and do something ambitious instead.

That game is pretty much 8 years old. Mario games since (3D World, Maker games, Odyssey) have certainly been much more inspired. I don’t think we’ll see another NSMB game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ragequit posted:

I gave up about 50 hours in. Just wasn’t clicking for me I guess.

Ragequit posted:

50 hours in. wasn’t clicking for me

:thunk: