Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

punk rebel ecks posted:

Were the Postal games ever even good or just notable due to their controversy and Gary Coleman?

P2 was interesting as a sandbox and kind of unique.

But no, none of them are really worth a poo poo in the harsh light of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

END ME SCOOB posted:

P2 was interesting as a sandbox and kind of unique.

But no, none of them are really worth a poo poo in the harsh light of day.

I mean if you can get it on one of the $1-2 sales and go in expecting all the grace of season 1 of South Park, it's still quite an experience. Of all the things P2 does, I'm most surprised I've basically never seen another game do the 'freeform trail of gasoline' thing as well as it does.

What'd RWS do that we hate, though? Why's 3DR tarnished by association?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Postal 1 plays pretty bad but it has some interesting visuals and insane rambling between levels and at the very end.

Postal 2 was an ok rear end in a top hat simulator through and through. Extremely juvenile and offensive to practically eye-rolling levels but competent enough to have fun going around kicking NPCs and setting things on fire. It obviously aged like milk though.

I don't actually know how either of them played or felt compared to other games that came out at the same time since I only tried them much later. I imagine it's impossible to find an objective review of the first game too but funnily enough PC Gamer (the magazine) gave the second game a score of 79.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I mean if you can get it on one of the $1-2 sales and go in expecting all the grace of season 1 of South Park...
What'd RWS do that we hate, though?

i think it's making games with all the grace of season 1 of South Park. doesn't seem surprising to me that someone still stuck in exactly that frame of reference today wouldn't seem fun and cool to hang out with. It's not even broadly accepted by the culture to be that way anymore. it's a deliberately archaic and out of touch throwback to do that stuff now. That's the problem with this whole 90's nostalgia "boomer shooter" label they're putting on these things. It's not just an ""indie"" return to making games with a different style, it's also an appeal to nostalgia (for the older viewers) or imagined nostalgia (for the younger ones) that winds up sandbagging the whole aesthetic/gameplay style with association to the death-metal gross-out blah blah 90's white edgy NIN fan devs.

you don't have to make games with fast, active movement and twitch shooting gameplay look exactly like quake. or have the cultural sensitivity of Postal. But they deliberately do it as a kind of statement - see the weird bullshit in Duke Nukem Forever.

If their whole brand is being the edgy X-rated shock value thing that's fine, but live by the sword die by the sword - people aren't obligated to give them a pass on using slurs or whatever because they're only doing it for shock value.

w/r/t 3DRealms there was that whole Ion Fury fiasco. Someone in that company at least is a dumb enough shithead to cave on pressure against about removing a joke about an Olay bottle being named Ogay. which like. if you get enough pressure about a joke that stupid you may as well remove it. saying they would remove it and then deciding not to after backlash hit them was really ridiculous.

IMO tho this kind of stuff isn't as big of a deal as like those indie devs who invited nick robinson on their stream and helped to rehabilitate him to teh point that he now has his own semi-succesful youtube channel. like I kind of think we over-focus on the problems of what a game has in it rather than how it is made and who profits from that, and the direct harm they cause through abuse

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 6, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

As for 3D Realms, let's just take little moment to remember:

quote:

Joint statement from Voidpoint and 3D Realms:

We’ve caused a recent controversy suggesting Ion Fury game content was to be censored.

We will absolutely NOT be censoring Ion Fury or any of our other games, now or in the future, including but not limited to by removing gags such as gaming’s most controversial facial wash.

We do not support censorship of creative works of any kind and regret our initial decision to alter a sprite in the game instead of trusting our instincts. 3D Realms and Voidpoint stand together on this matter.

Last but not least, please respect our need to keep our community forums clean from hateful messages, spam, or off-topic threads. We recognize our mistake and have received your message loud and clear!

All this after screencaps of several of the game's devs messages on the official Discord were passed around, indicating that hateful and homophobic views were tolerated there for a long time. So... if the devs themselves were doing it, doesn't that make the claim of "having a need to keep the community forums clean" sound a little off? Or did the Discord have simply have different rules until they got caught?

Oh, and the sprite they expressed remorse over removing was a homophobic slur in a hidden area. Hardly impacts the artistic vision of the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ErrEff posted:

As for 3D Realms, let's just take little moment to remember:

All this after screencaps of several of the game's devs messages on the official Discord were passed around, indicating that hateful and homophobic views were tolerated there for a long time. So... if the devs themselves were doing it, doesn't that make the claim of "having a need to keep the community forums clean" sound a little off? Or did the Discord have simply have different rules until they got caught?

Oh, and the sprite they expressed remorse over removing was a homophobic slur in a hidden area. Hardly impacts the artistic vision of the game.

To me, the most off putting stuff in the game wasn't the slurs, but easter egg messages like women lying about domestic abuse.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Put Milo in Postal 2

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Finally got around to playing the demo for Iron Danger, an RPG with a neat time manipulation gimmick. Anyone who played the full game:

Is there some way to get better camera control so I can see wtf is happening in front of me rather than only overhead?

Do you ever get more party members beyond the original 2?

Is there a way to cue up commands for both characters instead of having one characters actions play out, then rewind time?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

but easter egg messages like women lying about domestic abuse.
The what?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

To me, the most off putting stuff in the game wasn't the slurs, but easter egg messages like women lying about domestic abuse.

The only one I know of was the homophobic slur that was in hidden level geometry (that they removed.)

Any examples of what you're talking about?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The new Postal 2 expansion has a grave stone dedicated to game journalism, the very same grave stone got featured in a GoG tweet and became part of that debacle too

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ok, thanks!

My biggest worries about the game were that it was completely focused on following the story with no option of doing anything else, or that it would turn into a shooter later, or that the PC port was bad. But it looks like there are none of those issues, so I guess I'll be getting Death Stranding!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I think it's because RWS jumped into Gamergate with both feet.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Man I'll just keep playing Doom for the hundredth time while dipping into Dusk and Amid evil when the mood strikes me.

Dragon Age Inquisition: Which trials are fun and which are bad? I was thinking Walk Softly and Rest Easy, while unsure about Travel Light.
Edit: Picking them for gameplay changes and rewards, not achievements.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 6, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/788

Anytime someone mentions mods outside the steam workshop (for any game), they're almost guaranteed to be on nexusmods.

Thanks. I guess I'll get the standard one (no loot window).

It's a .daimod file, the mod has no instructions, do you know where I'm supposed to save it?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks. I guess I'll get the standard one (no loot window).

It's a .daimod file, the mod has no instructions, do you know where I'm supposed to save it?

Download this, point it in the direction of the DA exe, unzip the mod file and import it with the mod manager. It'll convert the mod file to the proprietary format and it should work out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hell yes, works like a charm. I'm ready for the collectathon, spamming v, give me all the elfroot you've got.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Good times. Meanwhile, I've done what I always do in this game, which is to create a character that looks great in the creation screen and like absolute rear end in-game, and I still haven't decided to love her lor leave her.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Black Griffon posted:

Good times. Meanwhile, I've done what I always do in this game, which is to create a character that looks great in the creation screen and like absolute rear end in-game, and I still haven't decided to love her lor leave her.

Hah, you just reminded me of how derpy my DA:I character looked. I seem to remember it making every character I made look like their lips and face were glistening from being freshly coated in baby oil.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 6, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It might be the worst game for unintentionally making glistening weirdos. You can change it when you get to the keep, but it takes a bit to get there.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think what you're talking about is a reference to The Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5PuJGzbcvY

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Black Griffon posted:

It might be the worst game for unintentionally making glistening weirdos.

Especially if you play on an old system (or 360/PS3) where the lack of effect support makes everyone look KMMO oily

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Reminds me of when I played Mass Effect and made what I thought was a good looking Shepard only for him to turn out to be some pasty ghoulish thing instead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was an ace move on Bioware's part to place the character creator into an environment with weird green lighting that isn't found anywhere else in the game so you never know what you get after starting.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My ME1+2 Shepard looked so bad Mass Effect 3 refused to import it so I had to roll with the default look.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh thank god, I misremembered, you can change your look like half an hour in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OhFunny posted:

My ME1+2 Shepard looked so bad Mass Effect 3 refused to import it so I had to roll with the default look.

that's just how importing into 3 worked (or rather didn't)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Black Griffon posted:

Oh thank god, I misremembered, you can change your look like half an hour in.

that was a free dlc added later

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

iirc it was all but impossible to make a Femshep that didn't look like various races of Frau Farbissina

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Rinkles posted:

that was a free dlc added later

Yeah I know, but I thought it only unlocked once you got to the keep.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I mean if you can get it on one of the $1-2 sales and go in expecting all the grace of season 1 of South Park, it's still quite an experience. Of all the things P2 does, I'm most surprised I've basically never seen another game do the 'freeform trail of gasoline' thing as well as it does.

The Postal games are giant edgelord games, the CEO of RWS is a huge MAGA guy, they jumped into GG, put Milo into Postal 2 dlc. Their whole brand is that played out "we hate everyone equally. Offended?:smuggo:" courting controversy thing at the best of times.

I don't hate 3DR but it's disappointing to see them all working together especially after how the Voidpoint thing shook out.

Edit so I can just make this one post and be done:Destructive Realms Polish nationalist connection and the writer on Hatred is a member of some nazi bands

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 6, 2020

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
drat the Tony Hawk remake is really good. I played it for way too long yesterday and now my old hands are sore.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I am finally thinking of getting an XCOM game. Where should I start? I was thinking of getting Enemy Unknown or is 2 better in every way and I should just play that one?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ToxicToast posted:

I am finally thinking of getting an XCOM game. Where should I start? I was thinking of getting Enemy Unknown or is 2 better in every way and I should just play that one?

Of the new XCOMs, Enemy Unknown/Within is the best introduction to them. XCOM 2 adds a lot and mixes up a lot of the mechanics, and you'll enjoy it more with the first game under your belt. Also the first game is REALLY good and I have 100+ hours in it.

e: Enemy Unknown/Within is so good that it basically invented the modern XCOM genre by showing everyone that turn based squad tactics could be good.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

OhFunny posted:

My shepard always looked so bad I just eventually always chose the default option on purpose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I have actually managed to make a DA:I character look half-decent and now I can never uninstall again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just started Alan Wake:AN and it still looks pretty great! Remedy games just always have a real "crispness" to their graphics that stand the test of time. Even the first Max Payne's environments hold up well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Remind me of something: the first Alan Wake was originally supposed to be an open world, where your could freely explore the town and surrounding woods, right?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 6, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Mordja posted:

Remind me of something: the first Alan Wake was originally supposed to be an open world, where your could freely explore the town and surround woods, right?

yep

(edit: better video that includes some old vaseline-enriched gameplay presentation)

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh is this a remake of the first one? The first one had some wild poo poo, especially the last level which absolutely would get the game banned today