Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Personal Capital seems to have poo poo the bed with Vanguard - they've been having issues getting data from them for months now. I've basically given up hope and I'm just checking Vanguard separately.

Other than Personal Capital, is there some centralized tracker that shows long-term performance and aggregates all your accounts into one pane of glass? Doesn't have to be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its worth looking again

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
I'm 37 and married. For a few months I have a decent amount of money in a 401k which is currently all in a Fidelity Govt Cash Reserves fund. I've been hesitant to invest it because everything has seemed on the verge of crashing but I know that's usually not a sensible approach to long term investing.

What is a sensible approach to take if I'm worried about economic risks like inflation and a crashing stock market?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
My wife has a 403b with about 160k in it from a previous job. She also has around 50k in a Roth IRA with Vanguard. From some brief research it looks like I could do a 403 to IRA rollover without issue, but then I’d be screwing myself on future backdoor Roth stuff unless I converted the 403 to a Roth and ate a huge tax bill. She’s likely to be doing more gig-type work in the future with high income but no established retirement. I’m looking into a solo-401k through Vanguard. Could I set that up and rollover the 403 to the solo-401k?

She’s also doing some hospital-run (I.e. not self employed) stuff likely with a small 401k or 403b, but I’m not convinced it’s going to be much or that it’s a long term position; I’m assuming we won’t hit the 19k cap this year for sure, and who knows about next year. I’m also asking my tax attorney this stuff since it’s pretty complicated, but didn’t know if it’s actually obvious what I should do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Charles Mansion posted:

I'm 37 and married. For a few months I have a decent amount of money in a 401k which is currently all in a Fidelity Govt Cash Reserves fund. I've been hesitant to invest it because everything has seemed on the verge of crashing but I know that's usually not a sensible approach to long term investing.

What is a sensible approach to take if I'm worried about economic risks like inflation and a crashing stock market?

Divide by 12 and invest a portion each month for the next year? Feel free to fiddle with the number and timeline, but decide ahead of time what they'll be and then stick to it.

Or read https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MJP posted:

Personal Capital seems to have poo poo the bed with Vanguard - they've been having issues getting data from them for months now. I've basically given up hope and I'm just checking Vanguard separately.

Other than Personal Capital, is there some centralized tracker that shows long-term performance and aggregates all your accounts into one pane of glass? Doesn't have to be free.

Mine is working. Have to tried deleting the account and re-adding?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

MJP posted:

I had mint for years, tried personal capital, some accounts didn't work, went back to mint.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Charles Mansion posted:

i see no reasonable way to create a retirement fund in the modern world without using the stock market. because you're worried about inflation the only way i know of to ward off that reasonably is to utilize the stock market. it might and almost certainly will crash at some point that you're in it. my point really is, if you know or assume it'll come back from that crash, why do you care?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Velius posted:

My wife has a 403b with about 160k in it from a previous job. She also has around 50k in a Roth IRA with Vanguard. From some brief research it looks like I could do a 403 to IRA rollover without issue, but then I’d be screwing myself on future backdoor Roth stuff unless I converted the 403 to a Roth and ate a huge tax bill. She’s likely to be doing more gig-type work in the future with high income but no established retirement. I’m looking into a solo-401k through Vanguard. Could I set that up and rollover the 403 to the solo-401k?

She’s also doing some hospital-run (I.e. not self employed) stuff likely with a small 401k or 403b, but I’m not convinced it’s going to be much or that it’s a long term position; I’m assuming we won’t hit the 19k cap this year for sure, and who knows about next year. I’m also asking my tax attorney this stuff since it’s pretty complicated, but didn’t know if it’s actually obvious what I should do.

403b to a trad ira is totally fine, but like you said, it means future backdoor roths dont work quite as well, because the conversions are pro rata from your aggregate traditional/sep/simple iras
a solo 401k seems like a fair idea here, esp given the overview of how her work may continue you provided above. take a look here: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/one-participant-401k-plans . it retains future roth conversions where a SEP wouldn't, which would be the more traditional option in this case

if you can just keep the 403b that's always an option too fwiw. you don't HAVE to always roll them out but it'll change dependent on the admin

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

FateFree posted:

I had mint for years, tried personal capital, some accounts didn't work, went back to mint.

Some things don't work on mint for me and some things dont work on pc for me it's fun.

I like PC's UI more.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah, it’s primarily something I’m exploring because I’d like to simplify from having an account with Principal, an account with TIAA, etc. to primarily being with Vanguard alone. But there’s no real urgency beyond trying to reduce fees a bit and simplify managing my rebalancing. I think as the career stuff settles in and I have a better idea of what the income is going to be I’ll know whether the solo-401k makes sense, and if so, do that and dump in the other funds. Thanks!

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

tbp posted:

i see no reasonable way to create a retirement fund in the modern world without using the stock market. because you're worried about inflation the only way i know of to ward off that reasonably is to utilize the stock market. it might and almost certainly will crash at some point that you're in it. my point really is, if you know or assume it'll come back from that crash, why do you care?

Yeah, my goal isn't to avoid holding stock funds. I'm just trying to figure out how to hedge against what appears to be high risk in the near term.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Need to vent somewhere about interest rates being slashed and I can't refinance my student loving loans.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

Some things don't work on mint for me and some things dont work on pc for me it's fun.

I like PC's UI more.

Personal Capital treats my Fidelity Cash account like a regular investment brokerage account, and they won't let me change it to a checking account (which is how I use it), so none of the banking and cash flow stuff works at all for me. Otherwise, it does the investment side well, and I haven't found anything that can do it all for me yet.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Baxate posted:

Personal Capital treats my Fidelity Cash account like a regular investment brokerage account, and they won't let me change it to a checking account (which is how I use it), so none of the banking and cash flow stuff works at all for me. Otherwise, it does the investment side well, and I haven't found anything that can do it all for me yet.

This is so annoying. PC even has a FAQ or post about this somewhere which essentially says "Fidelity told us these are investment accounts so they are investment accounts, gently caress off." Just let me decide what section my accounts show up in, okay?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

After all these years I still use Mint, even though it is garbage, because it has been the least garbage of all the things I've tried.

For just simple account balance and transaction aggregation I still find it to be the most reliable and transparent tool. It's worse than useless for any sort of investment portfolio analysis or performance tracking, but for just keeping an eye on account flows I haven't found anything better (that is automated).

A handful of banks have started offering true read-only APIs which helps enormously since it moves away from fragile-as-hell page scraping. If it became the norm building a better version of Mint would be possible. But there's still a long way to go on that front.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

MJP posted:

That's funny. Vanguard is the only one of my accounts that PC consistently syncs with.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I just put every account or fund balance into a running spreadsheet every month or two and don't have to worry about computery things (both security and function) nearly as much. It doesn't take that much time.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

MJP posted:

+1 for Mint here. I didn’t like it as much as PC for tracking investments but it does a lot of other stuff well, works fine, and they do not try and call to sell investment services. It’s by intuit so if you have a moral objection to Turbotax thats the only real downside.

e: agreed exactly with Guinness’ post above.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Still fine with PC/vanguard here.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

alnilam posted:

I just put every account or fund balance into a running spreadsheet every month or two and don't have to worry about computery things (both security and function) nearly as much. It doesn't take that much time.

Same. Sometimes I even let it go for three or four months before I backfill!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
gently caress supporting Intuit/Mint tho.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

alnilam posted:

This is what I do also, and I do it religiously at month end because I like seeing number go up. Except of course sometimes number go down :saddowns:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Except of course sometimes number go down :saddowns:

n...no! No!!!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Love to cheer for number, now going to go cheer against number in the the other thread.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Rob Rockley posted:

It’s by intuit so if you have a moral objection to Turbotax thats the only real downside.

This is the main reason I switched from Mint to PC in the first place. Intuit has done some incredibly shady stuff with regards to tricking users that quality for free taxes (regardless of what forms you need to file) based on income into using paid TurboTax products (there is a Reply All episode about this), and they are committed to fighting any legislation that would actually make US taxes/tax filing more sane and better for Americans.

I've actually ended up liking PC more, only things I don't like is not being able to move my Fidelity Cash Management account from investments to cash, as well as having to verify every time it wants to sync my Capital One account. Seems to be more reliable for me syncing everything (including Vanguard) than Mint was. I don't really use the individual transaction categorization / budgeting portion of Mint/PC anymore, so I have no comment on how PC stacks up in that regard.

dexter6 posted:

gently caress supporting Intuit/Mint tho.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Business, Finance, and Careers › Long Term Investing & Retirement: sometimes number go down :saddowns:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Charles Mansion posted:

Yeah, my goal isn't to avoid holding stock funds. I'm just trying to figure out how to hedge against what appears to be high risk in the near term.

fair. i don't know whether its really "worth it" to do so. if we're investing long term and we accept that timing the market is genuinely close to impossible, i go in with the approach that there's really no difference either which way.

if you have a large amount of investable dollars sitting and you want to assuage to anxiety that the market might drop significantly over X period of time, jsut average those investable dollars in over that period of time, then

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the long run your fund that bought Tesla early will still make you money, just not the silly money we are seeing right now.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

withak posted:

Foxes don’t have to pay taxes. Just bury the silver in the back of your den.

this was good and i feel it went underappreciated.

well done.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Idle musings: If you are mostly in equities, and they are long term and have sizable capital gains, does that complicate rebalancing when you get closer to retirement age? I’ve held some index funds long enough that they are currently up 300% so even the 15% rate is a lot of money.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

smackfu posted:

Idle musings: If you are mostly in equities, and they are long term and have sizable capital gains, does that complicate rebalancing when you get closer to retirement age? I’ve held some index funds long enough that they are currently up 300% so even the 15% rate is a lot of money.

What type of account do you have it in?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

smackfu posted:

depends on what you mean when you say "mostly" and "rebalancing". most of my retirees still end up holding between 50-70% of their portfolios in equities well into retirement depending on their personality and goals, so there may or may not be a ton of rebalancing to do on your end. if you're coming at it from a 100% stock portfolio then ye

no real reason you have to do it all at once, either. can always do its chunk by chunk, year over year. retirement can be LONG, so gradually becoming more conservative over teh course of it isn't that wild to me either

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

tbp posted:

depends on what you mean when you say "mostly" and "rebalancing". most of my retirees still end up holding between 50-70% of their portfolios in equities well into retirement depending on their personality and goals, so there may or may not be a ton of rebalancing to do on your end. if you're coming at it from a 100% stock portfolio then ye

no real reason you have to do it all at once, either. can always do its chunk by chunk, year over year. retirement can be LONG, so gradually becoming more conservative over teh course of it isn't that wild to me either

70% seems pretty high for someone in retirement tbqh.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Residency Evil posted:

Maybe, but that depends a lot on how much you have saved up and how many years you expect to need income.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Residency Evil posted:

This made my hair stand on end wondering how many retirees are 70%+ in equities right now. I sure wouldn’t want to be.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Twerk from Home posted:

This made my hair stand on end wondering how many retirees are 70%+ in equities right now. I sure wouldn’t want to be.

Yeah...

Anyone entering 60+ should have <30% equities and decreasing every year in my opinion.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

NGC773 posted:

Yeah...

Anyone entering 60+ should have <30% equities and decreasing every year in my opinion.

As for your second point, Michael Kitces argues almost the exact opposite: https://www.kitces.com/blog/managing-portfolio-size-effect-with-bond-tent-in-retirement-red-zone/

You have a large bond allocation at the beginning but increase your equity position gradually. The reasoning is that this will protect you against a bad sequence of returns at the beginning when they are most devastating. However, you still need the growth potential of equities to get you through your later years. This seems especially relevant if low interest rates are the new normal (like they are for Japan).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

NGC773 posted:

Yeah...

Unless you plan to die at 70, no way, that is bad. Maybe 30% right when you retire, but the increasing equity glidepath has pretty solid research behind it (Early Retirement Now also has a good set of articles on that.) I know most goons are a couple decades out from retirement so it's not front of mind, but you really don't want to stick at such a low equity allocation after the first few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Twerk from Home posted:

Also fwiw, most people hiring a financial planner aren't worried about scraping through retirement by the skin of their teeth - they have legacy plans, charitable goals, etc. A large chunk of wealth is usually earmarked for high growth just because they don't expect to touch it. Someone retiring at 60 with $5M doesn't need to avoid market risk with 30% equities - it's actually riskier to do that than 70%, just because of the longevity/inflation risk. As long as you have a reasonably long fixed income ladder of guaranteed expenses (2-5 years average, 10 years if you're risk averse imo), then there's no reason to avoid keeping a big percentage of equities.