Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

OMON kids brigade reporting for duty

https://twitter.com/voicesbelarus/status/1301237145928175616?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm not convinced that those are not grown ups. They look just like most eighteen year old conscripts would. Barbed wire foreground and uneven background adds to visual confusion about depth and size.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Lady was guessing these kids were from a military school

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nenonen posted:

I'm not convinced that those are not grown ups. They look just like most eighteen year old conscripts would. Barbed wire foreground and uneven background adds to visual confusion about depth and size.

Reminded me of this.
https://www.insider.com/police-say-twitter-video-of-child-militia-depicts-adult-soldiers-2020-5

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

spacetoaster posted:

Why go through the bullshit of doing some crazy neuropoison that can be found, and tracked down to a government actor?

A bullet in an alleyway is just as terrifying for the people who need to get the message, yet not as easily proven.

Because of European business interests in russia. Unfortunately the UK cannot condemn russia for assassinating people on their soil if it threatens UK business interests So they dont care. They Want you to know what they can do.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Pretty good interview:

https://meduza.io/amp/en/feature/2020/09/03/there-are-better-poisons-if-you-really-want-to-kill-someone

Its very cynical to say this, but there are better poisons if you really want to poison a single person and kill him. There are poisons that are much harder to detect and faster to act. Just because something is used as a chemical warfare agent, where you think about battlefield use and using it in grenades the poison there is different from the perfect poison to assassinate somebody, where you need a different profile. [Navalnys poisoning] is very exotic. You could also say, if you want to kill somebody, people might just disappear, have a car accident, whatever or just theyre just shot. By using poison, theres probably an additional message to bring attention to the case.

In the case of the Skripals, one has to say that both he and his daughter were extremely lucky that the ambulance arrived as fast as it did when they collapsed, and gave them treatment and moved them to the ICU so quickly. There are numbers out there saying that they probably would be dead if the ambulance had arrived 10 minutes later.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Finnish ice hockey team Jokerit which has been playing in the KHL league since 2014 and is owned by Russians through shady dealings was supposed to play in Minsk against Dinamo Minsk today. Needless to say, this was a terrible idea given the police violence, and a tiny propaganda win for Lukashenko if it happened. Everyone in Finland was against the game from Finnish ice hockey union to Finnish sports minister and even the Jokerit fan club threatened them with a boycott but the team leadership was relentlessly pushing forward.

Finally at last minute the charter flight was cancelled today. Reportedly Jokerit will have to pay a penalty of 30k to KHL but given Jokerit's 14 million debt that's chump change :homebrew:

I hope that when Lukashenko is ousted, Belarusians will remember Jokerit somehow. Maybe a plaza or a monument.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
At this point it seems like Lukashenko is bootlicking Putin in all the ways imaginable but kremlin goes 'nah, denied'
What a bag of dicks I hate being born in here

ps
context - lukashenko assumed Navalny's poisoning is a hoax by Warsaw (lolwut) but kremlin responded with 'its what he (lukash) says!'

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

AntherUslessPoster posted:

At this point it seems like Lukashenko is bootlicking Putin in all the ways imaginable but kremlin goes 'nah, denied'

ps
context - lukashenko assumed Navalny's poisoning is a hoax by Warsaw (lolwut) but kremlin responded with 'its what he (lukash) says!'

Well ofc they are ignoring luka Russia wants the situation to spiral out of control. Because once it does the moderates will cling to the Russian fed for protection against the "outside attack on Belarus" etc etc

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think the russian PM went here on a mission to just see if Luka is any worth, whether his promises are aof any worth. And I feel the answer was no

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

I think the russian PM went here on a mission to just see if Luka is any worth, whether his promises are aof any worth. And I feel the answer was no

Luka was all over him at the reception, it was cute.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Necronormiecon posted:

If novichok is the deadliest chemical weapon ever made how come nobody actually dies from it

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2020/09/03/there-are-better-poisons-if-you-really-want-to-kill-someone

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

AntherUslessPoster posted:

ps

I read a thinkpiece by Artem Shraiban that L went 100% into post-truth. It doesn't matter anymore whether his statements bear any weight, its just - indication of his current standing sort of. The recording they provided was plain embarrasing, was called "creativity of Belarus special services", is being mocked in runet.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Perusing Russian propaganda, the most charitable to Lukashenko spin they have on the fake call recording is, well, yes, it's embarrassingly fake, but it's as fake as Merkel's statement, so it's good for trolling. Not a single person believes it's real. There are also plenty of less charitable takes, where people say that the recording may hurt Russia, and maybe that's what Lukashenko wanted all along.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Why does Russia use the least deniable methods possible to assassinate people? Polonium and Novichok pretty heavily point towards Russia, and they must know that. Is it a case of wanting to deny it officially, but to communicate "yes, it was us" unofficially?

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

Elukka posted:

Why does Russia use the least deniable methods possible to assassinate people? Polonium and Novichok pretty heavily point towards Russia, and they must know that. Is it a case of wanting to deny it officially, but to communicate "yes, it was us" unofficially?

Polonium in Litvinenko was found by chance, if you don't look specifically for it there is small chance you find it. If I remember correctly, it was found only because urine and blood samples was sent to "nuclear research facility" (nuke assembly) and one of technician recognized polonium pattern from spectrometer. If Litvineko died few days sooner, cause of death would be unknown.

Though once you find polonium, it is easy to track it origin to specific reactor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HorseBodyInspector posted:

Polonium in Litvinenko was found by chance, if you don't look specifically for it there is small chance you find it. If I remember correctly, it was found only because urine and blood samples was sent to "nuclear research facility" (nuke assembly) and one of technician recognized polonium pattern from spectrometer. If Litvineko died few days sooner, cause of death would be unknown.

Though once you find polonium, it is easy to track it origin to specific reactor.

I suspect even if he'd died sooner, there would've been an intensive autopsy given who he was.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

This is it - it sends a message. It was us, you know it was us, everyone knows it was us, you can't do poo poo about the fact it was us.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Elukka posted:

In this case it looks like the plan was for him to die on the plane in flight and he is alive because 1) the plane crew landed the plane at the closest city 2) the medics giving first aid after landing correctly administered atropine as a treatment. After that he was transferred to the main city hospital where weird stuff started to happen like his supporters posted pictures of men in the chief doctor's office who refused to identify themselves and the local doctors were lying about Navalny having a "metabolic disorder" and trying assure everyone that this was definitely NOT a poisoning and that at the same time he is too dangerous to transport and he has to stay there. There is a pretty good reason to think that they were waiting for the poisoning agent to become undetectable. If it weren't for an international outcry, Macron and Merkel stepping in and him not being transferred to Charite, no clue what would happen. He could've died and his death blamed on a hypoglycemic crisis or something

And yes, consider also that the guy the UK accused of performing the poisoning of Litvinenko, Lugovoi, was given protection and a post in the Russian senate, Nemtsov's murder investigation was squashed with some chechens blamed whose supposed motivation makes no sense (apparently because he insulted islam, which he did not), and now is openly trolling countries, saying that maybe Navalny was poisoned while in Germany because Russian doctors said that he was definitely not poisoned. The message is we will kill you if you keep loving with us and we don't give a poo poo.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect even if he'd died sooner, there would've been an intensive autopsy given who he was.

It was doctor who admitted Litvinenko saying in documentary, (as I remember). Again if medical staff didnt come with idea: "I have friend in nuclear research facility" and if technician who worked with polonium didnt looked on spectral analysis of his urine nothing would be found.

Autopsy would reveal massive internal organ damage, not Polonium itself.
Polonium is alpha emitter which is not penetrating radiation so normal radiation counters are useless.

What I am trying to say, using Polonium, even if it appears counterintuitive (especially now, when we now FSB is willing to use it) was good way to kill somebody without trace.

edit: But now appears they don't give poo poo what rest of the world thinks. Putin&co seems went full dark side after Crimea.

HorseBodyInspector fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 6, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It was doctor who admitted Litvinenko saying in documentary, (as I remember). Again if medical staff didnt come with idea: "I have friend in nuclear research facility" and if technician who worked with polonium didnt looked on spectral analysis of his urine nothing would be found.

Autopsy would reveal massive internal organ damage, not Polonium itself.
Polonium is alpha emitter which is not penetrating radiation so normal radiation counters are useless.

What I am trying to say, using Polonium, even if it appears counterintuitive (especially now, when we now FSB is willing to use it) was good way to kill somebody without trace.

edit: But now appears they don't give poo poo what rest of the world thinks. Putin&co seems went full dark side after Crimea.

There are very few things other than cancer that do systemic damage like that. Its not as stealthy as you think (I went to school for nuclear fuels). There would be an autopsy, the massive organ failure would come into question, and someone would eventually notice even if they hadn't caught it earlier.

He was in the middle of exposing multiple Russian crimes, he wasn't going into the dirt without an inquest. And the fact that he was meeting, and known to be meeting with, Russian agents who have a history of using radioisotope poisons, it would've come up eventually.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

There are very few things other than cancer that do systemic damage like that. Its not as stealthy as you think (I went to school for nuclear fuels). There would be an autopsy, the massive organ failure would come into question, and someone would eventually notice even if they hadn't caught it earlier.

He was in the middle of exposing multiple Russian crimes, he wasn't going into the dirt without an inquest. And the fact that he was meeting, and known to be meeting with, Russian agents who have a history of using radioisotope poisons, it would've come up eventually.

It is not my thinking. It was doctor/experts saying in BBC documentary. Maybe they are wrong but I still choose to believe them.

Probably this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tJzsFEq8M&

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It is not my thinking. It was doctor/experts saying in BBC documentary. Maybe they are wrong but I still choose to believe them.

Probably this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tJzsFEq8M&

Fair enough.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/rferl/status/1302698085458608130?s=21

Masked thugs supported OMON and riot police today, beating brutally some of the 100.000 protesters out on the streets in Minsk. Protesters sometimes manage to pull face masks off, and internet sleuths were able to quickly pin point at least one of the masked men directly to Russia.

https://twitter.com/archer83able/status/1302649040753119232?s=21

Also, even cafe doors can be anti-Luka, apparently

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1302639449789157382?s=21

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/lukeharding1968/status/1302939522074898432

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Yeah, that'll calm things down.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What does Каратели mean? I know thats what people call the masked thugs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

Punishers, if translated directly. As in people who participate in punitive expeditions.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 7, 2020

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

Mokotow posted:

Historically, карательные акции are punitive actions performed by a military force against civilians. Каратели are individuals involved in a state-sanctioned ethnic cleansing or an attack on non-combatants. In the Russian world its associated with the Nazis. Belarusians borrowed the term from vatniks who use it to refer to the Ukrainian military and the volunteer battalions.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Mokotow posted:

"the punishers"

There is a Soviet-era novel titled the same way which is about the Direlwanger brigade, which they used as a major reference for "Come and See".

I can't say for sure but I assume that is the allusion being made.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thats interesting to me. The root of the word - kara - is the same in Polish, which is punishment. We dont have a word for punisher though, the closest would be mściciel, which is revenger, or more related to killing - kat and egzekutor fo executioner, though the latter could be used to describe that also.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The latest on Maria Kolesnikova is she was not kidnapped she attempted to cross the border into Ukraine but Belarusian authorities stopped her and now she has been detained in an undisclosed location.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The latest on Maria Kolesnikova is she was not kidnapped she attempted to cross the border into Ukraine but Belarusian authorities stopped her and now she has been detained in an undisclosed location.

Is not kidnapping, is detention in undisclosed location. Totally different things, nothing to see here!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Apparently she was ferried to the border and expected to cross to Ukraine, but destroyed her passport, which threw the whole plan off.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

Apparently she was ferried to the border and expected to cross to Ukraine, but destroyed her passport, which threw the whole plan off.

I see some insane conspiracy theories from the more traditional opposition saying that she's a Russian FSB agent, and all this stuff with passport is just fir show, so that she and other Russian agents can take control over the protest movement. Because, you see, competent Belarusian law enforcement would never give her the passport prior to her crossing the border, so she wouldn't be able to destroy it easily. They've been suspicious about Babaryko and his people from the start, but I guess the fact that the protests were organised without their involvement and are much bigger than anything they accomplished, made some people go full sour grapes mode.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It must be amazing to work as a 'journalist' in a country where state controls all media and you are just a cog in a propaganda machine. The media leadership in Belarus is probably all in in the racket, but there are also many poor journalists who have to hold their noses every day to keep their jobs.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Maksim Znak from coordination council/Babaryko HQ also dissapeared this morning, was able to send SMS about "masks". Should probably also expect him to resurface in Poland/Lithuania/Ukraine.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

News is that she refused to cross into Ukraine which was why she was detained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Belsat_Eng/status/1303668595386445825