Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

metasynthetic posted:

One trick you can do is to build a room adjacent to the ancient danger ruins before breaching them. Make sure the walls and door are fireproof, fill it with wood flooring and furniture, then find a way to light it before breaching from inside your tinderbox and rushing your pawn out. You can cook the enemy and weaken or kill them, probably without igniting anything that isnt a mob that moves directly into the tinderbox.

Another thing you can do is wait to pop them open until you have a heavily armed trader group on the map. Have a pawn with a long ranged weapon shoot an opening into it, then retreat towards the trade group and let them fight it out. If the trade group wins, in which case you just have to pick up the remains. Even if rhe ancient danger wins they'll probably be weakened and also you can take the trader loot in top of the ancient danger loot. You can also heal the traders for a rep boost.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really hope installing peg legs and then removing them from prisoners doesn't get changed at one point because it makes them so much easier to manage.

I like to open an ancient danger, kill the mechanoids inside. Then I wall in all the cryosleep caskets into their own tiny rooms but one. And then I open the one that wasn't sealed with walls. I murder the guy in the casket not surrounded by walls. The other guys come out and start trying to break their walls. Then its just kill them one by one at that point.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 5, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Decided to run down a list of useful minor mods that I don't see recommended often but are really nice to have.

Cleaning Area lets you turn a zone into a cleaning zone. Pawns will only clean inside the zone.
Better Sliders adds a number field everywhere there's a slider, meaning you can just type in the amount you want rather than having to get it right on the slider.
Ranged DPS gives out a reading of the DPS of the ranged weapon (at it's best range). Very useful, especially if you have mods that add more weapons.
Plant Growth Sync makes it so crop growing rates will synchronize in a zone (more mature plants grow more slowly, less mature grow faster), so if your planting is interrupted they'll still finish at the same time and you won't have annoying half-grown fields.
Best Mix (Continued) lets you set a specific criteria (Best sharp protection, best cold protection, etc) and your pawns will automatically use the best materials for that when crafting stuff.
WanderJoinsPlus lets you see the bio sheet for wanderers before they join.
No Carried Food stops your pawns from carrying food, meaning they'll stop eating in the middle of nowhere after you undrafted them after a fight.
Better Spots changes the icons for butcher/crafter/etc spots, making them more visually distinct.
Trade Helper greatly improves the trade window by adding a separate section that displays everything you're buying or selling.

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 5, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

HelloSailorSign posted:

Also, a +1 to the Vanilla Expanded series. I think that the Apparel is a bit bloated, Laser weapons seem interesting but I'm content with the charge series, the added animals I'm kinda meh on (I prefer Alpha Animals), and the Sushi/Stews I think add a bit more bloat than interesting things.
All the new base game animals were literally copied from Vanilla Expanded Animals mod (donkeys, ducks, geese, etc)

Agent Break
May 14, 2009
So, I recently updated to 1.2, which necessitated some significant kluge work with my mod list. It mostly works better than I feared, but one thing is driving me crazy. I've never really played without mods, so I don't know if this is a reversion to vanilla behavior, but the pathfinding just got really dumb. Before I updated, pawns would take slight detours to avoid slowing terrain like trees or mud, but now they just seem to plow straight through, leading to a significant loss in walking efficiency. Any thoughts, observations, or leads would be appreciated.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a mod that improves how pawns handle wearing/replacing clothing and armors?

Whats the best mod that introduces containers for food and other supplies? I really like how organized peoples bases look when all their stuff has a proper home.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Spaseman posted:

Is there a mod that improves how pawns handle wearing/replacing clothing and armors?

What is your issue? If you use the permissions tab to set up or edit an outfit you can drag the slider bar so that they'll only wear clothing at 51-100% durability, preventing mood debuffs from damaged clothing. You can toggle off allowing tainted apparel if you keep having to micro manage after dealing with raiders. If you need specific outfits you can edit from there(i.e. go put on this movement reducing heavy armor when there is a raid and be in civvies otherwise) but I think you'll need mods for specific materials.

quote:

Whats the best mod that introduces containers for food and other supplies? I really like how organized peoples bases look when all their stuff has a proper home.

Deep Storage is pretty good for the most part, it tries to balance space saving with a small time commitment and significant materials costs, as well as weight limits on some things like clothing and weapon racks. It varies per biome and other mods you have, as I find I can usually brute force bulk wood or bone for most shelving. The steel bins are great but cost like 80 steel per so they're not something to make without purpose. You can also use a mod to make stacking better overall like this, there's quite a few, your mileage may vary on what makes things too easy. Personally I find the aesthetics of a tidy base far outweigh the "intended" way to store mass goods.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Doomykins posted:

What is your issue? If you use the permissions tab to set up or edit an outfit you can drag the slider bar so that they'll only wear clothing at 51-100% durability, preventing mood debuffs from damaged clothing. You can toggle off allowing tainted apparel if you keep having to micro manage after dealing with raiders. If you need specific outfits you can edit from there(i.e. go put on this movement reducing heavy armor when there is a raid and be in civvies otherwise) but I think you'll need mods for specific materials.

Deep Storage is pretty good for the most part, it tries to balance space saving with a small time commitment and significant materials costs, as well as weight limits on some things like clothing and weapon racks. It varies per biome and other mods you have, as I find I can usually brute force bulk wood or bone for most shelving. The steel bins are great but cost like 80 steel per so they're not something to make without purpose. You can also use a mod to make stacking better overall like this, there's quite a few, your mileage may vary on what makes things too easy. Personally I find the aesthetics of a tidy base far outweigh the "intended" way to store mass goods.

Thanks for this, I looked back at my durability gauge and realized I had set it at 40% and changed it.This storage mods looks great and I'm going to play around with it now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

I'm starting to strongly dislike Rimefeller. It ads some neat stuff but it consumes insane amounts of pawn labour. It's a black hole of labour that detracts from other things.

You may need to play with the settings because if rimefeller is one thing, it's labour efficient. Literally the whole setup can run from one person on one console located anywhere in the base. No commutes, no materials to supply. Other than actually picking up the products you have no work to do. Except I guess for synthamide products/plasteel which do need fabrication but they're very high end.

As an initial suggestion I would advise making sure you have limits on your plastic products, and make sure to switch fuel refining to a minimum/maximum setting because otherwise they will constantly try to refine tiny amounts of fuel as you burn it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 6, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

You may need to play with the settings because if rimefeller is one thing, it's labour efficient. Literally the whole setup can run from one person on one console located anywhere in the base. No commutes, no materials to supply. Other than actually picking up the products you have no work to do. Except I guess for synthamide products/plasteel which do need fabrication but they're very high end.

As an initial suggestion I would advise making sure you have limits on your plastic products, and make sure to switch fuel refining to a minimum/maximum setting because otherwise they will constantly try to refine tiny amounts of fuel as you burn it.

It was mainly the composites I was thinking of. They have a very odd production cycle that requires a hauling task in the middle to get it out of the machine as opposed to spitting out the item and continuing with the next.

This means that if there's anything more important than hauling to be done. The production will stall until all other tasks are done.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does there exist a mod that lets you specify that a zone can only contain objects at N% functionality or less? I want to create a trash storage area full of ruined clothes waiting to be resold and ruined weapons waiting to be reforged.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

You can set durability minimums and maximums in stockpiles. I typically have a tainted, a tattered, and a low quality pile and set em on fire regularly. You can also make a one person caravan with some pack animals, and just dump all your garbage on the world map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

It was mainly the composites I was thinking of. They have a very odd production cycle that requires a hauling task in the middle to get it out of the machine as opposed to spitting out the item and continuing with the next.

This means that if there's anything more important than hauling to be done. The production will stall until all other tasks are done.

The way I generally handle synthamide production is I put the synthamide stockpile next to the autoclaves/fabrication bench. So there is an easy pile of the materials to make the raw composite, which can go straight to the autoclave, which can then take it out when finished and put it straight in the stockpile. But this is also broadly what I do with all my other crafting as well, the crafting room should be near the main stockpile and I also generally put small shelves with things like steel, components, wood, cloth etc near their respective benches, which helps minimise the amount of walking around the crafters have to do. I also generally either have a dedicated stockpile to deliver finished products to using the targeted output option of a bill (at low priority which then gets transfered to the main stockpile by a hauler) or just tell them to dump on the floor if it's not super important to avoid going over the desired amount. The proper storage is done by the haulers rather than the crafters.

It does require you to be on top of your hauling jobs but I don't find it to be especially more difficult than other crafting jobs commensurate to the value of the finished product.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 6, 2020

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
immediate huge infestation in my freezer. this was exciting to deal with

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I hope some of this stuff makes its way into the vanilla experience at some point.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

winterwerefox posted:

You can set durability minimums and maximums in stockpiles. I typically have a tainted, a tattered, and a low quality pile and set em on fire regularly. You can also make a one person caravan with some pack animals, and just dump all your garbage on the world map.
Where is that UI? I couldn't find it. Also, how do you set things on fire? I wanted to do that to a blighted field but couldn't figure out how.

I am untrue to the spirit of Rimworld because once a game is obviously on the spiral to death (e.g. pawns have the wrong skills to make it through winter, and it's fall) I quit and move on. Yesterday, in the spirit of adventure, I left a game with three pawns bleeding out, including the Man in Black, to see how long it would take to end. It took too drat long, so I mercifully deleted the save.

Does anybody know a good tutorial on setting up base defenses? I always mess that up and wind up either confronting enemies outside the base (bad) or getting everybody killed inside the base ( also bad).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where is that UI? I couldn't find it. Also, how do you set things on fire? I wanted to do that to a blighted field but couldn't figure out how.

You need a molotov cocktail (or an incendiary launcher) to set fires. Raiders have molotovs pretty regularly, or you can make one at a machining table.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rimworld base defense is about maximizing your own forces while minimizing the enemy’s as much as possible. Any design that tunnels enemies to one spot accomplishes this. The idea of having a town ringed with small clusters of sand bags like you might think a RL colony would do is wrong.

You want to have your entire settlement lined with a wall. In this wall, you’ll have doors distributed around, that’s fine.

The important part is that in one or two places, you put a 1-2 wide (or so) gap in the wall. From that gap, you make a corridor that’s also 1-2 wide that switchbacks once or twice before ending in a turn that opens to the colony. At that spot I put doors I can close in case of manhunters. Otherwise I Leave them open so sappers aren’t the only thing that spawns and the enemy actually goes through there instead of bashing down the wall.

What this does is funnel enemies, allows you to put traps in the corridor, and allows you to put static defenses where the enemy exits while providing them little to no cover. Don’t make the tunnel too long or out of the way, or enemies will go for walls.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Rimworld base defense is about maximizing your own forces while minimizing the enemy’s as much as possible. Any design that tunnels enemies to one spot accomplishes this. The idea of having a town ringed with small clusters of sand bags like you might think a RL colony would do is wrong.

You want to have your entire settlement lined with a wall. In this wall, you’ll have doors distributed around, that’s fine.

The important part is that in one or two places, you put a 1-2 wide (or so) gap in the wall. From that gap, you make a corridor that’s also 1-2 wide that switchbacks once or twice before ending in a turn that opens to the colony. At that spot I put doors I can close in case of manhunters. Otherwise I Leave them open so sappers aren’t the only thing that spawns and the enemy actually goes through there instead of bashing down the wall.

What this does is funnel enemies, allows you to put traps in the corridor, and allows you to put static defenses where the enemy exits while providing them little to no cover. Don’t make the tunnel too long or out of the way, or enemies will go for walls.

How do I keep my dupes from going through the switchbacks and triggering traps?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Your pawns know where the traps are and so step over them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Just make a 2x2 switchback with the traps on one diagonal. Your dudes will take the diagonal through the middle to avoid the trap, while raids will pile through and trigger it.

Unrelated: is there a mod that allows me to set requested skill for growing zones the way I can for crafting jobs? I’ve been caravanning a lot more recently and it’s given rise to wanting most of my pawns to have level 10 Growing so they forage more. Ideally I would like to designate huge tracts of Haygrass or Rice to have the rookie growers handle so they can skill up without distracting the actual growers from the basic operations of the colony.

The problem, of course, is that I cannot tell people with high growing to ignore the training fields.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Katt posted:

Your pawns know where the traps are and so step over them.

Heh. ONI player accidentally exposes her hand. And I didn't know pawns recognized traps!

e: Coolguy, I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing that; do you mind posting a screenshot?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I cannot at the moment, I’m at a lake house with family for Labor Day and phone posting. When I get home tomorrow night I’ll whip something up real quick though.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Coolguye posted:

Just make a 2x2 switchback with the traps on one diagonal. Your dudes will take the diagonal through the middle to avoid the trap, while raids will pile through and trigger it.

Unrelated: is there a mod that allows me to set requested skill for growing zones the way I can for crafting jobs? I’ve been caravanning a lot more recently and it’s given rise to wanting most of my pawns to have level 10 Growing so they forage more. Ideally I would like to designate huge tracts of Haygrass or Rice to have the rookie growers handle so they can skill up without distracting the actual growers from the basic operations of the colony.

The problem, of course, is that I cannot tell people with high growing to ignore the training fields.

Make a pair of areas, invert them so they cover the whole map, then clip the fields as you like between the two. Assign the growers appropriately and voila, your pros won't go to rookie town(admittedly for any reason so make sure they have room/allowance to go around.)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 6, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Skilling up new pawns is so much better with the Rimwriter skill books. Set the 18 grower for half a quadrum or so only writing a book about growing, then have the newbies read the book a few hours at a time.

Each book is like 1-2k silver worth (while the materials are minor) so they can wind up being a jump in colony wealth with a library.

But it also makes the children mods way better as the kids can spend time distance learning.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hm. I think I can sort that out, I’ll have to reorganize the fields a bit but it’s far from a dealbreaker. Good call.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Doomykins posted:

Make a pair of areas, invert them so they cover the whole map, then clip the fields as you like between the two. Assign the growers appropriately and viola, your pros won't go to rookie town(admittedly for any reason so make sure they have room/allowance to go around.)

To reduce micromanagement overhead you can use Area Inclusion&Exclusion in order to make a zone that is just "field A" and "field B" or whatever and lock your A team out of the B zone. With a bit of thinking about how to make it work you can make reconfiguring a less tedious, like if you have a zone for when manhunters/sieges show up (create a zone that covers everything outside your doors/perimeter, and set everyone to exclude that area so nobody goes outside and gets mobbed) and apply that to all your humans/animals then you only need to update that one zone in order to have it apply to each different individual's setup. Rather than having to create/update the entire zone again multiple times, and update every zone every time you expand/rearrange.

Also could be hypothetically useful for helping keep your snakecats from getting addicted to space meth, if those mods even exist.

If you end up making a ton of areas you might want RIMMSQol which lets you make separate zones that are only relevant for humans or animals or both, and just disable all of the features you don't want.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

silentsnack posted:

If you end up making a ton of areas you might want RIMMSQol which lets you make separate zones that are only relevant for humans or animals or both, and just disable all of the features you don't want.

I read that as RIMMSQL and was frankly terrified of the modders.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I read that as RIMMSQL and was frankly terrified of the modders.

hard same

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am untrue to the spirit of Rimworld because once a game is obviously on the spiral to death (e.g. pawns have the wrong skills to make it through winter, and it's fall) I quit and move on. Yesterday, in the spirit of adventure, I left a game with three pawns bleeding out, including the Man in Black, to see how long it would take to end. It took too drat long, so I mercifully deleted the save.

Does anybody know a good tutorial on setting up base defenses? I always mess that up and wind up either confronting enemies outside the base (bad) or getting everybody killed inside the base ( also bad).

When you click on the stockpile, above the list of materials or whatever there will be two bars which you can fiddle with.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also not be be all "Theres a decent wiki you should check" but theres a decent wiki you can check for many of your questions. For instance this is on their stockpile page

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Stockpile_zone

The two bars I mentioned (poorly) are those two white dumb bells.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 6, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Put stone doors in the walls so that your pawns cut through the walls instead of having to traverse the switchbacks. Raiders will take the easiest path so you want doors that take a long time to bash down (granite ideally) and trap-infested switchbacks that are just short enough to seem convenient to the raiders.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

QuarkJets posted:

Put stone doors in the walls so that your pawns cut through the walls instead of having to traverse the switchbacks. Raiders will take the easiest path so you want doors that take a long time to bash down (granite ideally) and trap-infested switchbacks that are just short enough to seem convenient to the raiders.

Protip: if you do this, set your doors to hold open all the time so it doesn't take forever for your pawns to get out of the base, stone doors are very slow. When attackers run just send a pawn outside, turn off "hold open", and run the pawn back into the base.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Piell posted:

Protip: if you do this, set your doors to hold open all the time so it doesn't take forever for your pawns to get out of the base, stone doors are very slow. When attackers run just send a pawn outside, turn off "hold open", and run the pawn back into the base.

Oh yeah definitely do this, the only one I don't Hold Open is the outermost door in case there's not a pawn nearby when it would need to be closed. And if you're Rich you can make it a stone autodoor

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I probably had 700 hours into this game before I realized that steel autodoors open faster than granite ones.

Usually the material furniture/building is made from is wholly arbitrary so I gave up on trying to min max stuff.

Like granite is super common but also the realistically strongest wall material, marble is also super common yet has a higher beauty value than rarer materials like steel.

Like yeah I could make sculptures out of gold and jade for a high beauty stat but I could just as well build two marbled statues out of value less raw stone and get that beauty value anyway.

I would have wanted to see benches, doors, crafting stations etc be more efficient when made from rarer materials.

Katt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 6, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Piell posted:

Or have Employees Only entrances in multiple locations around your outer wall to give your pawns even shorter routes so they don't need to go through the Visitors Lounge, each entrance using a steel/wood/auto door for normal fast access but with a (normally held open) granite/slate door that you close when you have guests who need to get extremely relaxed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Katt posted:

I probably had 700 hours into this game before I realized that steel autodoors open faster than granite ones.

Usually the material furniture/building is made from is wholly arbitrary so I gave up on trying to min max stuff.

Like granite is super common but also the realistically strongest wall material, marble is also super common yet has a higher beauty value than rarer materials like steel.

Like yeah I could make sculptures out of gold and jade for a high beauty stat but I could just as well build two marbled statues out of value less raw stone and get that beauty value anyway.

I would have wanted to see benches, doors, crafting stations etc be more efficient when made from rarer materials.

Uranium is also a good choice sometimes; it's not flammable like steel, and while it has super high HP they open about as fast as steel doors. Good in the mid-game when you might have found some Uranium but not had a use for it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Since we're talking about base defenses here's the main entrance to my current (work in progress) base:

My base is Up. The Left-most door and the Up-most door remain open most of the time while the door at the top of the switch-backs remains closed. When there's a raid, that's inverted; I close the 2 upper doors and open the door at the top of the switch-back, and then I forbid all 3 of the doors so that non-combat pawns don't try to leave. Raiders (or mechanoids, manhunting packs) walk through the switchback and trigger literally all of the traps until they reach my kill box, the open room in the upper right. I have barricades and walls (not shown) above that part that my pawns hide behind, and I'm in the process of building some uranium slug turrets within my farms so that they can pound things as they come into the kill box.

The prisoner barracks is adjacent to the entrance so that victims can be dragged right into a jail cell from the switchback path or the kill box.

This screenshot was taken right after about 15 caterpillars landed with a defoliator ship, I used an Orbital Salvo to destroy the defoliator and soften up the caterpillars and then went and hid behind my walls. They slowly triggered all of the traps, and I had a guy lobbing EMP grenades at the entrance of the kill box while the rest of my guys blasted the caterpillars that got through.

I also like building traps out in certain wilderness paths; if you know what paths raiders are taking you can take out a few of them by just putting traps in the right spots.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do social debuffs for your pawns ever decay? I recruited a tribal and then when they raided, one of my pawns killed their mother and father. And there is no way the new pawn will not hate this one pawn.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Do social debuffs for your pawns ever decay? I recruited a tribal and then when they raided, one of my pawns killed their mother and father. And there is no way the new pawn will not hate this one pawn.

I think that it just takes a few years but yeah, it'll end some day