Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK I guess I don't care about side games, my key argument is "Everything in the so-called Metroidvania formula is contained in Metroid [main series sure] and the vania is redundant"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

I see goons say metroid fusion isn't a metroidvania all the time
I'd be inclined to put it in the negative zone

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the vania isnt redundant because it was both metroid and sotn onward cv games that popularised the format and did it successfully. metroid already has all the features but i dont think the genre gets as much visibility or spreads as far without sotn etc.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Metroidvania is also more fun to say than Metroidlike.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fusion haters are just scared of sa-x

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

the vania isnt redundant because it was both metroid and sotn onward cv games that popularised the format and did it successfully. metroid already has all the features but i dont think the genre gets as much visibility or spreads as far without sotn etc.

Well metroid stopped being made for a thousand years after super

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK I guess I don't care about side games, my key argument is "Everything in the so-called Metroidvania formula is contained in Metroid [main series sure] and the vania is redundant"

Thats fair-ish, given you don't need shops, npcs, useable items, equipment, leveling, etc.

However, I don't really like the Metroid games and do like Castlevania games because of the difference of their design in how those are expressed. I judge metroidvanias by where they fall on the metroid to castlevania continuum and the closer to Castlevania the better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
no offense but i just dont believe anybody actually played those first crappyvanias. i mean, sure, load the rom up in nesticle once or twice or if u got it from a garage sale or whatever as a kid, worth putting in but come on. those games suck to play, control bad, who cares what genre they are no genre wants them stinkin up the place

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

no offense but i just dont believe anybody actually played those first crappyvanias. i mean, sure, load the rom up in nesticle once or twice or if u got it from a garage sale or whatever as a kid, worth putting in but come on. those games suck to play, control bad, who cares what genre they are no genre wants them stinkin up the place
2 sucks rear end, but 1 and 3, and castlevania adventure are good games. i dont know where youre drawing the line but if youre calling rondo a crappyvania then i'm going to have to call this post cringe, i'm sorry that's just the law

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They probably dont like knock back into pits and zero air control but they are good if you accept that and the delayed attack speed

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is it just me or does Codemasters suck at making games that aren't F1 or DIRT now? I got Toybox Turbos recently and it reminded me that they later made an ACTUAL Micro Machines game but it was a gigantic piece of poo poo that was mostly multiplayer reliant

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barudak posted:

However, I don't really like the Metroid games and do like Castlevania games because of the difference of their design in how those are expressed. I judge metroidvanias by where they fall on the metroid to castlevania continuum and the closer to Castlevania the better.

I am the exact opposite and regularly get annoyed because the overwhelming majority of metroidvanias take after Castlevania more than Metroid.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zeether posted:

Is it just me or does Codemasters suck at making games that aren't F1 or DIRT now? I got Toybox Turbos recently and it reminded me that they later made an ACTUAL Micro Machines game but it was a gigantic piece of poo poo that was mostly multiplayer reliant
codemasters has been bleeding talent for years, in anything that isnt their big racing games. and I mean big racing games, like how they made the really good arcade racer onrush a couple years back and then laid off the entire team

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

They probably dont like knock back into pits and zero air control but they are good if you accept that and the delayed attack speed

this is basically it. Blasphemous played fast and loose with endless death pits and I hated them there too

First Castlevania I bought for myself was one of the GBA or DS ones, that's when I was sold on the series. Supposedly SotN is better but there's no play station at my house

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOWUSsFar-s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Khanstant posted:

this is basically it. Blasphemous played fast and loose with endless death pits and I hated them there too

First Castlevania I bought for myself was one of the GBA or DS ones, that's when I was sold on the series. Supposedly SotN is better but there's no play station at my house

Yeah i thought blasphemous had a pretty frustrating design in a lot of places too

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Most Metroidvanias take inspiration from the Vania part. There aren’t too many Metroidlikes by comparison

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

homeless snail posted:

codemasters has been bleeding talent for years, in anything that isnt their big racing games. and I mean big racing games, like how they made the really good arcade racer onrush a couple years back and then laid off the entire team
And that led to the PC port basically being canned as far as I can tell

No wonder GRID is rear end now

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Metroidvania" and "Metroid-like" both take the same amount of time to say or type so its kinda irrelevant. Metroidvania is more fun to say and potentially more illustrative in case someone only knows one or the other, but you're not wrong.

If someone could come up with a better name we could all agree on we could stop calling them doom-clones and call them FPS but names are hard so metroidvania it is.

People just like saying metroidvania.

You know what would be baller? An official Metroidvania.

Castlevania 3055 : The bounty hunter known as Cyber-belmont is shot down by space pirates and crash lands on Planet Transyl IV

While trying to explore the terrain to find materials to repair her ship, she discovers the last dracula, a vicious parasitic alien life form which sucks energy from all species it encounters

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah i thought blasphemous had a pretty frustrating design in a lot of places too

Spikes are the worst offenders in Blasphemous, a game where the sinner gets thrown half a room after getting hit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You're a metroidvania if:

-You have a connected world, rather than distinct levels
-There are a number of passageways in the world which can't be used until after obtaining an item elsewhere in the world
-Many or all of the items used to unlock passageways have other uses (i.e., they're powerups, not keys)
-The world is designed in such a way that the player is not shown where the locks and items are; exploration is required to find both the powerups and the places where you use them

Please post your favorite game which isn't generally thought of as a metroidvania but which technically fits the definitions

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Zaphod42 posted:

You know what would be baller? An official Metroidvania.

Castlevania 3055 : The bounty hunter known as Cyber-belmont is shot down by space pirates and crash lands on Planet Transyl IV

While trying to explore the terrain to find materials to repair her ship, she discovers the last dracula, a vicious parasitic alien life form which sucks energy from all species it encounters

MercurySteam would probably be the developers though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

-There are a number of passageways in the world which can't be used until after obtaining an item elsewhere in the world
-Many or all of the items used to unlock passageways have other uses (i.e., they're powerups, not keys)
-The world is designed in such a way that the player is not shown where the locks and items are; exploration is required to find both the powerups and the places where you use them

Please post your favorite game which isn't generally thought of as a metroidvania but which technically fits the definitions

The Witness

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
banjo kazooie has distinct levels but also a connected world

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

Pokemon Red/Blue counts for all of those I think

Dark Souls and Bioshock both almost count but not quite :cheeky:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

cheetah7071 posted:

Those are the aspects that come from Metroid, but the actual Metroidvanias (i.e. the Metroid-like Castlevanias) also have RPG elements that I think are equally important, like character stats and the ability to wear equipment to modify stats and grant powers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Sleeping Dogs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

mad cos bad

hatty posted:

Most Metroidvanias take inspiration from the Vania part. There aren’t too many Metroidlikes by comparison

the castlevania games that give the vania part of metroidvania are metroidlikes. the vania part is mostly stuff stuck ontop of metroid style stuff.

also i dont think thats particularly true, like the big ones recently are stuff like hollow knight and ori which are very much more metroid than vania. but its kind of irrelevant, the genre name is because the two series both were important in creating the genre bounds and popularizing them and thats why its called what its called.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Volte posted:

Those are the aspects that come from Metroid, but the actual Metroidvanias (i.e. the Metroid-like Castlevanias) also have RPG elements that I think are equally important, like character stats and the ability to wear equipment to modify stats and grant powers.

Super Metroid had suit upgrades. That and weapon unlocks (and movement abilities that get you to new areas) seem sufficient to me.

Hollow Knight doesn't have stat numbers, and its definitely a metroidvania.

Having stats isn't integral to metroidvania, its integral to RPG.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

now onto my next argument: dark souls 1 is a metroidvania game and so soulslike is a subgenre of metroidvanias

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The origin of the word was to describe the Metroid-like Castlevanias, it's true. So SotN was a metroid 'vania, as opposed to a classic 'vania

That isn't really what the word means anymore and it isn't how I meant it when I laid out that definition. People these days use it to describe the genre that both Metroid and that era of Castlevania belong to

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
resident evil is metroidvania, etc

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Atelier *

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Super Mario 64 is a Metroidvania because of the caps

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

resident evil is metroidvania, etc

The keys are keys, which cheetah's post clearly called out as being unacceptable.

No movement abilities in RE unfortunately.

Volte posted:

Super Mario 64 is a Metroidvania because of the caps

I considered saying that myself. It doesn't quite count as a connected world though, clear hub and separate levels. But all these things get kinda grey.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hm I don't think that's quite right,

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

As mentioned in previous chat threads, historically the Metroidvania genre didn't even include Metroid in the first place, it's a late addition after years of broadening the definition.

No items or upgrades! (although it does have the best variation on the idea of the inverted castle, including other not-metroidvania Frog Fractions)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Zaphod42 posted:

I considered saying that myself. It doesn't quite count as a connected world though, clear hub and separate levels. But all these things get kinda grey.

I think non-linearity and the ability to revisit areas is more important than a truly continuous world. I would definitely call Arkham Asylum a Metroidvania (by the modern definition at least) and it has separate "levels" but you can go back and forth between them any time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Chev posted:

No items or upgrades! (although it does have the best variation on the idea of the inverted castle, including other not-metroidvania Frog Fractions)

In the realm of forms all "items" are merely conceptual objects instantiated as a given set of principles. It makes no difference whether they are encoded in the rules of the game or they are encoded in my mind. I upgrade my perception rather than ticking off a variable in the game code, it works the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I intentionally left the wording on connected world a bit fuzzy. Like, Super Metroid sort of has levels, depending on how you define levels.